Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Tonight for the first time since 2005 Manny Pacquiao will be fighting off of Pay-per view. While the opponent leaves a lot to be desired in terms of both name recognition and being a credible challenge, bringing a bonafide legend in the sport while he still has a bit left in the tank to (largely) free TV is something that even the most cynical boxing fan-and believe me, there are many of us-should applaud.

Manny 'Pac-man' Pacquiao

The 2000's fighter of the decade has been part of some of the most storied rivalries in boxing history with his trilogy with Erik Morales and his four bouts against Juan Manuel Marquez. He also has some of the biggest wins of the past few years with his one punch knockout of Ricky Hatton and dominant stoppages over Miguel Cotto and Oscar De La Hoya. Even his 2016 saw wins over top 10 welterweights with decisive victories over Tim Bradley in (hopefully) their final fight and capturing the WBO belt off of Jessie Vargas.
In boxing terms the past few years have not been so kind to Pacquiao. He has not scored a TKO or KO win since 2009 over Cotto, got brutally knocked out by Juan Manuel Marquez in 2012 and was listless and disappointing in the 2015 super fight against Floyd Mayweather. Homophobic comments made during his successful run to the senate in the Philippines, along with being tied to very controversial Philippine President ( and wannabe dictator) Rodrigo Duterte have contributed to making him a tougher sell to the US market. Faced with continually losing money on his star fighter and HBO's dwindling sports budget limiting the opportunities for his other fighters including Terence Crawford, Vasyl Lomachenko and Oscar Valdez-veteran promoter Bob Arum linked up with ESPN for what could be a very important deal for getting boxing back into the mainstream. At the very least we are promised 3 quality cards with tonight's fight, and 2 planned August events which will feature two time Gold medalist Lomachenko against the game Miguel Marriaga on the 5th and the first full unification fight in the four major belt era since 2005 when potential crossover star Terence Crawford takes on Julius Indongo the 19th.

Jeff 'The Hornet' Horn

A veteran of the 2012 Australian Olympic team Jeff Horn is largely unknown even to hardcore boxing fans. He's here largely because of the relationship of his promoter Duco Events with the WBO who managed to get him in position to win a secondary belt when he defeated Ali Funeka in December last year and their ability to put 55,000 people in Brisbane's Suncorp Statdium. Horn is also a former school teacher which has resulted him using a abnormally high number of cringe worthy puns during press events.

Rest of the card

The televised under-card will feature Shane Mosley Jr. and 2012 Bronze medalist (and Conor McGregor disciple) Mick Conlan who will look to impress and improve on 10-1 and 2-0 records respectively in showcase fights. Jerwin Ancjas will defend a super flyweight belt against Teiru Kinoshita though it seems unlikely this will lead to a face off against the any other elite fighters such as Roman 'Chocolatito' Gonzalez, Juan Francisco Estrada or Naoya Inoue in that talent rich division.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Good op

The undercard on this sucks, but eh, free tv

Actually i don't think this is available at all in Canada but you know

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

hope horn wins

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I hope Horn wins by vicious KO

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Teddy Atlas is on the call here in the US, and he's pretty much insane at times, so this should at least be fun

(I hope Horn wins and then comes out of the closet in the post-fight interview, if only to piss off Pac more)

e: EVEN BETTER WE HAVE STEPHEN A. SMITH IN THE STUDIO

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 2, 2017

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Who the gently caress is Jeff Horn? Lol

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
This commentary is terrible

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rasta_Al posted:

This commentary is terrible

Tim Bradley just can't catch a break.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

doctor thodt posted:

Tim Bradley just can't catch a break.

115-113 115-113 113-115

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
If the Top Rank thing actually pans out and Golden Boy keeps up their deal with ESPN as well I suspect the commentary will get much better. Joe was largely out of practice when PBC replaced Friday Night Fights on ESPN and now that they've been replaced I'm sure he'll get better as he gets back into it. Teddy is another matter entirely but it's not as if we're expecting anything other than rants and hopefully future dank boxing memes from Atlas.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

what time is the main event due

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

is floyd the last boxer to be better than his dad

e; loving hell i just noticed the white patio chairs at ringside lol

thehappyprince fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 2, 2017

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

thehappyprince posted:

Eubank Jr over Eubank Sr. :colbert:

VVVV I was *looks at wikipedia page of British slang* taking the piss

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 2, 2017

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

The SituAsian posted:

Eubank Jr over Eubank Sr. :colbert:

wash your keyboard out

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Rasta_Al posted:

Who the gently caress is Jeff Horn? Lol

A professional boxer at the very least

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

thehappyprince posted:

e; loving hell i just noticed the white patio chairs at ringside lol

Holy poo poo, the chairs. Lmao

What's the Aussie equivalent of Dollar General. Must have made a killin

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lol mosley jr is bad

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Did one of the judges really score that 77-75 for Mosley?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Rasta_Al posted:

Crazy Clark's.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I watched 3 rounds of that fight and even I knew there was no way Mosley could have won.

His defence is impressively bad.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Rasta_Al posted:

K-Mart, which somehow is still quite big down in Australia.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
lmbo at Conlan's opponent coming out with the sombrero. How the hell does someone get a 5-4-3 record anyways?

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Bruce AND Michael Buffer? Woah there ESPN

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Announcer makes a good joke about the sombrero, everybody laughs, announcer repeats the joke and stomps all over it explaining it.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

The SituAsian posted:

lmbo at Conlan's opponent coming out with the sombrero. How the hell does someone get a 5-4-3 record anyways?

I think he's fighting for a case of Vic Bitter stubbies

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Rasta_Al posted:

I think he's fighting for a case of Vic Bitter stubbies

We're at Lang Park, it's XXXX or nothing

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Timothy Bradley should consider not talking

e: I mean Teddy Atlas talks like a drunk too but at least he has salient points occasionally

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Troy Queef posted:

We're at Lang Park, it's XXXX or nothing

I hope that beer is endorsed by Xander Cage

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

not sure i can stay up through a super flyweight fight tbh

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

super flyweight is like the best division in the sport right now though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i woke up unexpectedly anyone got a stream?

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
stephen a smith is the worst thing to ever happen to boxing and i do not say that lightly

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

stephen a smith is the worst thing to ever happen to boxing and i do not say that lightly

He's just Skip Bayless 2.0, mute the TV anytime he appears and you're golden

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
it's pretty impressive that manny hasn't accidentally knocked someone out since 2009

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

friend, you haven't lived until you've seen/heard The Dan Le Batard Show stop whatever they're doing to watch SAS fire off blazing takes (also watch/listen to Dan and Stugotz in general)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
the japanese / korean dude is paying like 8:1 so naturally i've got a tenner on him so i give a poo poo about this fight

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what time is pacqiuao's fight supposed to start?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

the japanese / korean dude is paying like 8:1 so naturally i've got a tenner on him so i give a poo poo about this fight

fighting spirit!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jose posted:

roughly 40 minutes according to my book but more than likely like an hour at least until they're in the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Jose posted:

An hour from now.

• Locked thread