Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
My hope for chibnall is that there's more of a focus on individual writers with crrrrazzzzzy ideas, and that they discover new talent.

I'm also hoping that the established tone ends up being more like rtd's crazy and silly tone. I don't think they should try to raise the material like Moffat did or it'll be season 9 again, it's going to be schlock so it should at least be Christmas invasion style fun schlock.

Which I think will probably happen since they want a new Tennant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've marathoned the other toxx reviews last few days and have to say I'm really jazzed to see his reviews for this one. Mainly to see if he judges bill worthy (I liked bill, wouldnt have watched the season if she was not fun)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Well I didn't really compare the episode or bill to rose but that particular episode seems to have traumatized toxx and he seems to have it on his mind when new companions show up because this isn't the first time he's angrily described how much of a bag of poo that episode was at the start of an unrelated review and then describe why the current episode was better.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I kind of dislike it when someone barges into a review thread, shares opinions unrelated to the current episode, would require spoilers to discuss further, and have no interest taking the reviewers past opinions into account as premises and basically excluding the reviewer in any way.

This conversation would be far better in the normal thread.

I guess the episode gives little to talk about. I guess.. well, thinking about the other companion intros this is actually closer to rose than I realized. Unlike Amy or Clara there is no deep connection with the doctor.

I think though that I liked how unlike most of the companion intros, the last one is only hinted at and referenced. Yeah, it's necessity by the mindwipe but the doctor going non functional after each departure has worn thin and I like that bill is not a substitute for anyone.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
IDK thought this would be more average. Like this feels like its strong points are stronger than average and its flaws are just.... average.

The lovely setting, the inventive aspects of the scenario that feel pretty well-realized, the personal dynamics with a new companion even, are all better than I usually expect for a Capaldi season episode. The kind of boring monsters and extremely poorly thought out endings are just also kind of expected by now, but they aren't as bad as some of these have been.

I can even kind of justify the monsters a little (not the ending, that's still poo poo). We're testing out a new doctor companion dynamic and it makes sense to put them in a danger that other companions have been in to see how they handle it. Plus it's been nine seasons of just the modern era, I can't help but think that anything they do will either feel like something they've done or be out of place with maybe a little grey area in between those options that I'm not sure I can expect them to reach for.

E: Also, season 9 ended up really boring and a lot of episodes seemed to have concepts that were too out there for their writers to accomplish, like the arc of ME that never went anywhere and was trying for something deep and clever but ended up being poorly written and tedious... I kind of liked going back to something that was just an adventure.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 23, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
why were you reviewing Lick! My! Scrotum!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
"they" works fine for the doctor since the doctor is a series of actors/regenerations rather than a single person anyway.

bringing this into the general thread is a good idea, as if you have a beef with moffat about pronouns there's already a related discussion about Peter Davison who, while praising Jody, has had some of his other opinions and sentences taken out of context.

The Vardy topic: You have to think that someone in the writer's room could've thought of teaching the robots what grief is instead of this, and I just wonder why they thought that was either impossible or that this is the more clever ending. It would explain a lot to know because the ending to me feels poorly thought out but in a way a lot of other episodes are.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Coming to think, they probably wanted to end on the settler/native analogy they had in mind and teaching the robots grief might put too much guilt on the robots side or something?

Like basically they wanted an analogy and wanted the robots to be sympathetic, and telling them what they did wrong directly might not work into that... but the thing is if they were pushing for an analogy they sacrificed a lot of the story making sense to do it. Still the theory I'm going to go for.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It's the sequel to Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Again I was simply glad to get back to simple stories that were fun to watch after season 9, with new doctor companion team without any baggage, and I had recommended this season to others after watching this far based on that.

I think there's no real purpose behind the reboot, this is just the situation they landed in with one Capaldi season left but no companion. The other way they could've gone is overcomplicate things with a companion with some knowledge of the doctor and past adventure experience so they don't have to go through time travel adventures 101, possibly expand some past plot lines, and make a really overcomplicated season?

A reboot season for the end of a showrunner, that's going to be followed by another reboot's kind of stupid but I don't really see another option here.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Oh that's cool. Forgot that oxygen was the next episode and thought it came later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
So five episodes in, there's kind of a leftism theme with this season
In most of these episodes humans are the real opponents, the aliens are just misunderstood or tools, the companion is both working class and has multiple maginalizations, some of the episodes are talking about explicit problems like Smile with Immigration or Thin Ice and racism. The Doctor's made more commentary than usual on religion as well, by now, mentioning Jesus - something they've usually avoided. Of course Jamie Mathieson's episode is the only one that dials it totally to eleven, possibly showing that he might be the only writer with real leftward convictions, but there's a kind of conscious effort going on right now with this season possibly as a reaction to season 9.

Aside, I did like Night in the Woods except for its lack of gameplay and slowness, and untrustworthy save system, to get everything out of it takes a lot of time just wandering to the same locations every day. But I did appreciate that it had this extremely timely message when I had been watching for it ever since the 2014 kickstarter.

• Locked thread