Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I just got to this thread, and the Superman/Spider-man comparison in the first review really snapped an adjacent opinion I'd had about Moffat, and Matt Smith's Doctor in particular, into clarity.

When I first read the idea that Davies' Doctor was a superhuman and Moffat's was an ordinary flawed man, my first reaction was that that seemed backwards. But as I worked through why that could be, I found the dissonance at the heart of my own issue with Eleven's run: my feeling wasn't about the character, but the universe. Davies' arcs occur incidental to the Doctor, an entire grand history that he happens to exist in - the alternate Earth, the return of the Daleks, the journey of Rose Tyler (whatever you think of her). Moffat's are all about the Doctor; his past and future ultimately, literally defines the beginning and end of reality. "Doctor who?" and all that.

I used to be really down on Smith's Doctor. After chewing on this contradiction for a while, I feel like I feel much better about Eleven as a character and only down on Moffat's plotting. And I think not fully separating those made me more down on Moffat's Doctor(s) than I should have been because every time he talks about how horrible he is or wonders if he's good, all of Creation aligns to either ask or answer that question. His flaws, filtered through the grandiose plotting, only serve to make him seem more epically special in a blatant way. And I didn't like it. But with distance, and Occ's perspective, I can kind of separate the characters from the clumsy plotting they were in and respect them as fictional people.

I don't know what the moral of this post is. Thanks, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread