Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
I have recently been inspired to start writing about an alien race I had thought up some time ago. They are loosely based of a Japanese folk/fairy tale called The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter more specifically the character Princess Kaguya from it. I have written a couple things about them already. One is a conceptual document about the race itself and its anatomy, psychology, etc. The other is a narrative about their interaction with humanity in my personal fictional setting. I like to keep things relatively realistic and technical except when things get supernatural or surreal and even then I try to keep some logic and reason.

I have written both these in Google Docs, so they are both works in progress and anyone following the links should be able to comment on the Docs themselves. I would appreciate any comments, criticism, proofreading, or suggestions either on the Docs or here.

Google Doc: Kaguya Species Concept

Above is the technical concept of the alien race itself. I have generally included details such as what their homeworld is like, their anatomy and biology, and their psychology and culture. I tried to keep some of these details realistic and scientifically accurate, and this is one area I would appreciate any criticism or inquiry on how some of this was supposed to work or what I had in mind.

Near the end is where it gets more specific to my personal fictional setting and crosses over into fantasy. This mainly includes their interactions with humanity and Earth particularly starting with Princess Kaguya being stranded on Earth in ancient Japan and being raised by an old human couple. After that event and rescuing her, the kaguya start noticing some of their young behaving strangely compared to what is normal to them. In reality, these "hyuns" as they call them are kaguya with human souls, and given the significance of humanity in my setting, this not only gives them a slightly different psychology but also capacity for supernatural abilities. On request, I can go into further detail about this as well as other aspects of my overall fictional setting.

Google Doc: The Tale of the 22nd Century Bamboo Cutters

Above is a narrative I have been writing about the kaguya's interaction with humans. It takes place over 150 years into the future where climate change has risen the sea level and the kaguya have stepped after a millennium of quiet observation to assist humanity. I have chosen for the focus of the story to take place in Japan mainly due to the relevance of the story to the original folk tale and that Japan, as an island nation, would be especially jeopardized by this scenario. As a hidden agenda along with helping the humans, the kaguya have an agenda to experiment with the hyuns and humans and see how kaguya can integrate with humanity. It starts out with a married couple without children offered to take care of an adolescent hyun kaguya for some time. This young hyun then has to learn about her own identity, her relationship with humans, and why Earth seems so familiar. A secret detail about her is that she is actually the current incarnation of Eve, one of the first two human spirits, which has its own significance.

Since this kaguya girl is going to be interacting with humans and going to school with them, I would like to hear how other people will react to this. Some things I would like to know are what kind of questions would you ask her as she first introduces herself, how would you personally interact with this alien in your school or classroom, and (since I don't expect anyone to admit to doing it themselves) how do you expect other people, students or outside of school, to bully or mistreat her? Some conflicts I expect and intend to use in my story particularly involve xenophobia between humans and kaguya, humans trying to take advantage of the kaguya and their resources, the larger kaguya government posturing to suppress and take over humanity, and supernatural threats. Any other suggestions appropriate to this scenario are welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
<Reserved Post Slot>

• Locked thread