Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corby Haas
Hi I am new here I joined SA late in the game to *study* goons because I'm interested in successful "successful" "web 1.0" internet communities. I also some observed The WELL and MetaFilter and other bits and I like SA the most and now I just found BYOB and I like it the most because of vibe.

Still though I am nervous to make any incorrect behaviors. BYOB and its peeps therein seem much friendlier than my World of Warcraft Realm Forum circa 2010 but I do know the ire -- nay, the wrath -- awaiting a n00b an initiate with a sense of entitlement. So I would like to ask these questions.

U. I was going to ask a question here but then now I'm like fkitbaylife I want to post. Also I'm doing the questions in the reverse order so the questions start at the bottom of the post and the introduction starts at the top of the post and they meet in the middle and that's when I'm done and that's why the lettering of the ordering of the questions starts with U and ends with Z.

V. If I want skip to the end of a thread, does the thing tracking how much of a thread I've read also skip to the end of the thread, thereby forever eliminating the means of knowing what point I have read into the middle of the thread?

W. Is there a general "this is wtf is going on" type of thing for SA newcomers? Here is a large community with a lot of content and history, as well as an interesting sociology (wc?) that should be respected, but most of my figuring out what goes where etc has come from pestering two MapleGoons in IRC.

X. Is there an IRC for BYOB?

Y. I made a bookmark folder for every letter of the alphabet.

What if I wanted to make a thread just about this because it is interesting as heck? This is allowed? Gassed? If I try, and it is gassed, am I a bad person? A pariah? It says in a sticky that I am not, but I don't believe you! (Can I post a thread about the fear of abandonment?)

Z. I have some domain names I'm not using. What if I pointed them at BYOB and I want to tell people about it like "haha i am clever double plus love me" what thread would *that* go in?

That is all I have for now.

Edit: I know that this is sort of a hello thread and this person got shut down because There Can Only Be One Hello Thread so most importantly please answer question V. I am afraid to post my hello and questions in the Hello Thread where perhaps they ought to go because I want to read the whole thread over the course of my lifetime and I don't want the computer to lose my place.

Corby Haas fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

Hey since you put a lot of time into this i'll let it stay open for a bit (unless I'm caught)

Yes, if you skip to the end of a thread it resets. But you can always click the "x" in the counter to unreset, then go back in and jump around in the pages. Just like you did with this one, you could make that other thread and it might be good or bad but this is BYOB so it's okay. I don't know if pointing a ton of domains to BYOB is a great idea, as we did that joke already with chillinternet.club (lobsterfetish.com and myanimewebsite.net can stay where they point to).

Welcome we would love to have you stay and post! Please post in the welcome thread!

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

vanisher posted:

Welcome we would love to have you stay and post! Please post in the welcome thread!

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

vanisher

Alright I let it stay open, sorry please stay and post!

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

• Locked thread