Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Anything by Simon Guerrier, basically. Especially the Sara Kingdom trilogy, or the Oliver trilogy -- there's also the quartet of stories that feature Zoe attempting to unlock her memories that starts out slow but ends amazingly. Anything by James Goss is great as well, particularly The Last Post and The Scorchies. Find and Replace is really, really good, and it's the sequel to Ringpullworld, which isn't bad either. Finally, Peri and the Piscon Paradox is pretty good too, and Nicola Bryant is astoundingly good in it, though some people hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think, on the surface, RTD and Gareth Roberts look like ideal writing partners. They're both love to write fluffy, silly, campy scripts about golorious nonsense. The main difference, I think, comes down to the way that they approach characterisation -- RTD loves his characters, and wants to dig into them and make the audience love and understand them. Gareth Roberts, on the other hand, writes like a psychopath. If left to his own devices his stories nearly always include an unsentimental tone, a vicious yet also ridiculous serial murderer, and a lot of squishy death scenes. It's there in A Well Mannered War, Tragedy Day, The Highest Science, and even The Unicorn And The Wasp (though he tones it down a bit for tv). He doesn't give the remotest poo poo about the internal life of his characters, and his supporting cast are usually stupidly slow bystanders who exist to prop up his jokes. Unsurprisingly, he loves the Graham Williams era.

I suspect that the original version of The Planet Of The Dead positioned Christina as a seemingly cool but actually useless leader, who was accidentally or purposefully responsible for the disaster affecting the people on the bus. I suspect that a lot of those characters would die as a result of her upmarket selfishness, while the Doctor flapped his arms in inept consternation. That feels closer to a Gareth Roberts script to me.

I also suspect that RTD would have stepped in and rewritten a lot of that, which is why we're left with a lot of useless characters with puddle deep characterisation, and a bizarrely heroic turn from someone who's probably a dangerous psychopath. That's my theory, anyway.

(Oh, and in case anyone thinks otherwise, I actually like a lot of Gareth Roberts' work. But it's bleak and silly, and can get pretty mean spirited.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
To be fair, the accents in Invaders From Mars are meant to be corny. It's a fundamental part of an entire cliffhanger.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't get why you guys are so down on the side ranges. A lot of them are pretty good. I'm particularly fond of Graceless, which I think is probably some of the best stuff Big Finish has released in ages --
though I'll admit doesn't start out the best. But the series really pushes the concept of the lead character's all-powerful abilities to the limit, and does really cool things with them. That, and the most recent season had Sian Phillips!

I've not actually heard very much Vienna, but the list of writers attached are pretty strong. I can speak for I, Davros, the Benny stories, the Torchwood stuff and the Confessions of Dorian Grey line, which are all really good -- and tend to be of a higher general quality than the monthly releases.

And, look, I don't know about you guys, but this year's had some absolutely terrible monthly releases -- and that was before people dubbed The Silurian Candidate the new Minuet In Hell (it's the one with the Australian Donald Trump). Apparently they're changing around executive producers next year, but I don't have an awful lot of confidence in their main stuff right now. They've had a couple of passable scripts this year, but only two of them were anywhere near good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Sometimes Nick Briggs annoys me. Sometimes he absolutely loving owns though.

That's Nicholas Pegg, unfortunately. Briggs wouldn't be caught using the word "oval office" in any context -- this is the man who edited the word "shagging" out of a product blurb once.

(And the Tom Spilsbury thing is apparently not true.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
How has no-one mentioned Warrior's Gate yet. Awesome direction, great music, amazing villain. Really great editing on that one cliffhanger too.

I'M FINALLY GETTING SOMETHING DONE! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's good stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Barry the Sprout posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm going to regret a fair few of those, all the Fifth Doctor ones look pretty forgettable, outside Spare Parts of course. Has he had many good Big Finish stories?

Outside Spare Parts, you've got Omega, Loups-Garoux and Creatures of Beauty, which are all loving excellent. Primeval's strong, as is The Church And The Crown.

Later though, you've got a whole lot of great stories. The Kingmaker, The Council of Nicea, Circular Time, Singularity, The Burning Prince, Time In Office, Son Of The Dragon, The Butcher Of Brisbane, The Emerald Tiger, The Jupiter Conjunction and The Destroyer Of Delights. Lots of fun stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Nekromanteia" has the attempted (and I think it go either way on whether it's only attempted or not) rapist getting the happiest ending. What were the corresponding specifics for "Creed"?

The new companion's fiance is abducted on their wedding day. She is forcibly turned into an alien queen (Phillip Martin!), impregnated by alien locusts and the new companion decides to euthanize her. The current companion nearly has the same thing happen to her, but, turns out, it's reversible! Whoops! The climactic finale action involves the Doctor and his new companion sitting in a hole and waiting for an entire episode. It's thrilling.

For what it's worth, that Phillip Martin Ice Warriors story Big Finish did is just as bad. That one has a group of proud warrior women learn the true meaning of marriage.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, not expected at all. I was interested in the next one because it sounds like it might be exploring an Inferno-like alternate reality, but the War Master AND Cybermen is a pretty good hook for the next one. Especially with Big Finish hopefully doing the buzzy Cybermen voices.

Yeah, they're doing a sequel to Inferno, but it's only going to be for one of the episodes. Which I think is a shame -- particularly because it looks like the first one is going to be yet another single Dalek on the run story.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CobiWann posted:

This article sounds like something out of a pre-credits scene for an episode of Who...

http://strangesounds.org/2017/11/scary-archeology-pits-full-of-severed-hands-egypt.html

Aldred must live!

Oh my god, those comments.

I mean, you kind of figure that they'd be a crapshoot, even on an archaeological news piece, but I didn't think they'd be "this is finally proof of the veracity of the Book of Mormon" level of weird.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 20, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Eight destroyed Gallifrey in the EDA books’ Time War (it got better).

And beyond that point he's far more willing to take matters into his own hands. Doesn't he kick a guy into lava in the very next story?

He also condemns a planet to dalek rule in Dark Eyes 2: Darker Eyesier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

There really needs to be a Big Finish version of that video where the Doctor shoots and murders people - there's some pretty great ones to use; Fifth Doctor blowing some guys away with a rocket launcher, another of him murdering some prisoners of the Daleks by shooting them, Eight saying he's going to murder Davros and the Monk, Seven being an arse and tormenting Hex and Ace, Sixie's love of Burke and Hare, etc.

I feel like this one doesn't count, since it's some idiot's propaganda version of events.

• Locked thread