Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I see your video and raise you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zT_i6LdX9w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Now I have gone down the rabbit hole...

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Vasudus posted:

There's tons of stuff that I like to have, but I wasn't at a boozery. Trader Joe's has some surprisingly ok stuff (their generic Heller Bock is delicious) and I make it a habit of trying all their 750ml single bottle beers as they rotate them in for the seasons. This unfortunately was not a good choice.

Imperial Stouts are always hit and miss with me. Especially when they are barrel aged. I don't think much thought is put into WHICH barrel to age it in. Just because its "bourbon" does not mean you will get the flavor profile that doesn't taste like highly alcoholic vanilla and charcoal.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

To be Frank I’m over bourbon. I have a few bourbons I’ll still drink if I have no other options, but Rye has taken me into its loving arms.

I had to swap from bourbon to rye for a while, for health reasons. You know, whole grains and all that.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

beanieson posted:

Im not a fan of crown royal but if you can find a bottle of their “bourbon mash” check that poo poo out. It is very good and getting very hard to come by. Rumor is they’ve stopped shipping it to stores because they can’t technically call it a bourbon since it’s canadian, and may be repackaged as something else.

That's stupid. What makes bourbon is not the location it is made in.

What makes bourbon is the following:

Whiskey made from a mash bill that is at LEAST 50% corn

The Whiskey is aged in a NEW, oak barrel, that is charred on the inside.

In the case you mentioned, they aren't even pretending to be bourbon, they are just using a bourbon mash, and what ever god awful barrel situation those Canadians use to age their booze.

All this talk about booze is making me more thirsty....

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

beanieson posted:

Yea it’s stupid as hell but apparently it’s an actual US law since the 60s

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/canadian-whiskey/crown-royal-bourbon-mash-canadian-whiskey-wrong-merica/

I just found another article from may 2nd saying they’ve already renamed it to crown royal “blenders mash” 🤷🏻‍♂️

That is interesting.

I'm used to people claiming that bourbon can only come out of Kentucky. I'm filing that one away for future use.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Naked Bear posted:

A Quiet Place is a really loving stupid movie. It's been out for a month now, so if you haven't already seen it, I'm going to spoil it to save you the trouble.

The movie actually has a neat concept about monsters that "attack sound." In a near-future apocalyptic setting, what humans are left on earth survive by being vewy, vewy quiet (hence the title). If you so much as sneeze, one of them will come zooming out of the woods a few seconds later and cream you. Consequently, there is hardly any sound in the movie. Apparently, nobody on earth knows how to beat these things, even a year and change into this angry ear monster apocalypse.

Here's the spoiler: the monsters are giant walking ears and it takes them the entire movie to realize that the giant walking ears' weaknesses are high frequency noise and supersonic chunks of lead. The HF noise, which is generated by drat near anything electronic, cripples their highly-sensitive ear-faces, and lead is... well, it's loving lead. How it took these idiots until the last two minutes of the movie (~480 days into the apocalypse) to figure this out is beyond me. The movie repeatedly shows a whiteboard in the family's basement with the question "what is their weakness???" and which is set next to a whole fuckload of electronic equipment, including the dad's pet project for their deaf daughter. They also have notes clearly indicating that they know roughly how few of the monsters reside in their area (hint: it's about three). What's up with all of the newspapers with headlines like "we're totally stumped" and front page stories of troops getting their asses kicked?

The characters in question could have just made some noise, shot the first monster that showed up, and kept shooting any subsequent monsters that were attracted to the gunfire. Problem solved, none of the characters would have died, everybody lives happily ever after.

What a dumb loving movie.

The wife thought I was being an rear end for pointing out that the solution was "shoot them in the face". Your telling me that nobody figured that out while the military was being decimated?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

TCD posted:

Same - Dad is in the hospital. No idea whats wrong. Problem speaking and motor movements, but they don't think it's a stroke. loving sucks. I dread seeing my mom's caller ID. You brace yourself for that answer and then a sigh of relief when he hasn't worsened over night.

Holy poo poo, my mother-in-law just had a stroke and my uncle just died.

Is this some sort of epidemic or something?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Uh, 2013 must have been one of those years. Thankfully I started getting help the year before that.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I'm actually kind of scared for my local breweries... They rely on people actually showing up so much.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I have that sign in my front yard. It pisses off the Trumpers in my neighborhood.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Steezo... You ok dude?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Steezo posted:

I'm fine now. Tried something new, thought it wasn't that strong, it was. white girl white claw wasted last night

goddamnit already spelled that out oh well.

edit: also the thought of pres Pence is terrifying, as someone who was raised American Catholic. Even if he has it just for a few months.

That explains why you reminded me of my wife....

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I’m drinking 1 part St Germain 2 part tequila 3 parts peach juice.

I am now white girl wasted.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Melthir posted:

3 oz reposado tequila
1 oz Simple syrup
.5 oz lemon juice
Orange and lime garnish
3 dashes bitters
4-6 oz ginger beer
.5 oz cherry juice and 1-2 cherries

I've been doing:

1 part ST Germain
2 part Tequila
3 part peach juice

Then I get white girl wasted.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I regret not picking the right numbers for last nights' powerball.

That's what it sounds like when people say they regret not buying X financial vehicle or Y stock.

Now I'm going to have a few shock tops with my dabs and hope I picked the right mega millions numbers for tomorrow.

There is always Mega Millions with their small jackpot of $972mil.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, I usually don't buy lotto tickets, but when poo poo starts cracking the half billion mark, I throw away a couple bucks. It's one of the curses of being raised with late 20th century lower class optimism. Up until the drawing you're just mentally spending, which is an entertaining thought exercise occasionally but not something I'd like to dwell on several times a week while already knowing the outcome is just more money down the drain.

$2 a few times a year is worth the daydreaming.

I'm the same way, when the jackpot hits stupid levels of money I throw a few bucks at it. It's not even every time, only when I notice a stupid high jackpot. It's more money than I will make in my lifetime.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Make your own pickles. You will forever be happy with pickles after that.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I am toasted out of my mind right now watching The Cosmos.

Man, that poo poo almost made me cry.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

The new one with Neil. It’s a love letter to science.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

GD_American posted:

Costco has soju now fuckkkkmm

Like Kirkland signature soju?!?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Martini recipe:

5 oz Plymouth gin kept in freezer
½ oz Lo-Fi sweet vermouth kept in fridge
Citrus peel garnish (squirt of appropriate fruit juice if unavailable)

Stir in cocktail shaker, pour, enjoy.

Sweet?!?!

I've never done a martini with sweet vermouth, only dry and sometimes blanc.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wasabi the J posted:

Seems like Russia's been Putin their dick in a real hornet's nest!

Almost spit out my beer.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Because local VFW members spent years alienating younger vets, women vets, black vets, hispanic vets, democrat vets, and basically anyone that served after maybe Panama or Grenada, and now they have no money to update their sad old man spaces.

So this is a strange one, I briefly attended my local VFW and learned they have these stupid "not gambling" machines that bring in BIG bucks. But they refuse to spend the money in a smart way. The younger members (all two of them) are told that it is better to continue an endless repair cycle instead of total replacement because ~cost~ and they might lose their lease from the city in 10 years (they won't, they have a guy on the council).

I believe their blatantly loud support for Trump/Republicans have driven off virtually all minorities and young people who would bombard them with radical ideas like, just replace the plumbing for 10k instead of hiring a plumber every month for 1k.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Because they bought the fluorescent tubes in bulk at Kmart when they went under.

Pretty much every VFW hall needs to be gutted and renovated anyhow. If a bar is the only draw to most halls, I have no reason to go, just to listen to old drunks bitch about politics or how the gays are taking over or whatever. Just a goddamn echo chamber.

At this point, they're going to need to put a gym in my local before I consider setting foot in it. And sell 1g joints at the bar for $5. Then make the building non-smoking but have an outdoor patio smoke pit space (just because I hate my lungs doesn't mean nonsmokers should suffer). And no goddamn political endorsements or inviting reps to come spout their bullshit.

Also get rid of whatever rank structure bullshit games they try to play in the hall. You're not in anymore, you don't get to call yourself a hall commander or post captain or whatever the gently caress (this might be a legion or amvets thing, but it's poo poo).

Facilities vary greatly also. There is an American Legion in the NOVA area that my father belongs to (the local bars where he watches football all closed) that is rather nice for a hall. They even have these big telemedicine facilities they installed for members so they can easily attend appointments.

It is frustrating because there are facilities that are updated and make sense while other places just need to be condemned.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wasabi the J posted:

There needs to be a chart for dumb dumbs like me.

The numbers and names of poo poo under there I may as well be reading a loving can of shampoo on the shitter.

Gimme a fighter game chart where it's just how much I'm gonna enjoy TV vs eat too much vs just having a massive anxiety attack.

And don't lie people would buy the anxiety attack strains there's people who do DMT and PCP already.

I'm actually surprised this isn't a thing, especially in legal states.

I would imagine some places would have developed a "starter pack" that is all color coded to help people figure out how much of what works for them.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Baked potato recipe.

1) Heat oven to 450°F/Whatever°C
2) Insert suitably-prepared potato on cooking sheet and bake 25 minutes
3) Remove potato, coat with butter/non-virgin olive oil and kosher salt
4) Return potato to oven after turning potato over, bake 20 minutes
5) Continue cooking at 5 minute intervals until done to your satisfaction
6) Remove, add topping, enjoy

Anyone ever notice that when you look up how long it takes to bake a potato the internet returns some crazy poo poo like, "it will be done in 25-40 min!" Instead I end up "checking for doneness" about 20 times until they are cooked. Every time I fall for their promise, every time the variables change, every time they take forever.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I prefer chopping my potatoes down and tossing them in a bag of cooking oil, sea salt and black pepper before dumping them in a baking pan for an hour or so.

Also works well with brussel sprouts, way better than boiling and smothering in cheese like product.

Try the brussel sprouts again, but instead of using the oven, saute them. Put them cut side down, and let them brown up. Finish with a drizzle of balsamic and some fresh parmesan (or hard cheese of choice), sometimes I will add some thinly sliced garlic towards the end.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I don't cut my sprouts down before cooking, just peel a few leaves off before tossing them in oil and into the oven.

I've sauted plenty of stuff when I worked in kitchens, but I'm lazy at home and try to minimize the amount of work or time I spend in the kitchen. That and I have a glass top stove, which is only a notch above useless for sauteing.

Glass top stove sucks, I understand. The wife insists that the sprouts are cut in half, so they get cut in half.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

GD_American posted:

Drunkcontent- today I became the guy who snapped at his sister when she was about to pour his goddamned hundred dollar bottle of rum into her loving Walmart eggnog

That is fair.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Or his own liver.

Anyway, tequila.

Pretty deep in the cheap bourbon right now...

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

TheWeedNumber posted:

Ok I'm home now. Because I bought me a cocktail set from target, 2 bottles of veuve, one bottle of empress gin, some lemons, some simple syrup, and a hand held juicer.

Lets see how long it takes me to burn through a 25 drink supply of french 75s!

I was a fan of making a pitcher of whatever for a while. The wife has forbidden me from doing that anymore as she tends to over serve herself when everything is premade.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Broke out the 100 proof EW to celebrate The Mattering.

I'm sampling a new to me rye: Bodega Cat. Weighing in at 95 proof

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I never drink spirits, but i got a goon guest gift the other day and i feel like i could break it open this weekend for the occasion.

Sould probably ask the guy how to drink it properly so i can do it justice (and pretend to be a refined man of class and change)

A solid Irish whiskey. Try it straight, in a tumbler/rocks glass. Then, add a few drops of water and try again. If you are still unsure, add ice (preferably a single, large piece).

Remember to smell the spirit a few times before tasting. You shouldn't get the "burn" in your nose. That will help you taste the flavor, not the "sharpness" of the alcohol.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

US Berder Patrol posted:

If you're into rye, my favorite booze for a few years now is make called Rittenhouse, a bottled-in-bond 100 proof rye that you can usually get in the mid $20s

I am well acquainted with Rittenhouse Rye. I tend to randomly grab bottles under a certain price point that look/sound interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

CommieGIR posted:

Here's to you Pine Cone Jones' dad. gently caress cancer.