Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Gotta say I wasn't expecting to enjoy this one as much as I am. I've got some minor gripes with the writing but nothing that hurts it in the big picture. Plus the art is fantastic and obviously feels way different to most stuff you see in Jump. Word has been that it's hanging around the middle of the pack in the rankings so hopefully it doesn't slip and get canned anytime soon, I'm definitely interested in where they're going with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Galvanik posted:

I just think about how he plans to convinces other people (modern "real" world teenagers) to go along with him, and it just falls apart in my mind. "I want to murder your parents, and by the way we're also never going to have medicine or even wheels to cart things around with." seems like a really hard sell to make to a bunch of children.

Given his strength and total willingness to kill whoever he needs to get his way I would assume he'd either force them to follow him or just kill them if they refuse, as he tried to do with Senku.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Part of me is thinking maybe when they pitched this concept to Jump, Senku was the only protagonist and Taiju was suggested by their editor or the higher-ups as a "more conventional hero." It would explain why 's so much less interesting than Senku and why he's now been gone for several chapters. Hopefully they're using the split-up as a way to draft up some ways to make him a better character.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

again, the young people he revives will eventually become old. unless he plans to purge everyone who hits a certain age, it is inevitable. fetishizing youth doesn't change human nature or stop time.

The idea is that Tsukasa believes their society corrupted its youth so each generation would become like the one preceding it, greedy, self-centered, and toxic. By making a clean break and only reviving the young, he thinks he can resume society with more of a fresh start and no corruption from the previous generation. Whether his ideology hold up in practice or not isn't the point, his methods and Senku and Taiju's refusal to adhere to his messed up plan are the real conflict.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Aw hell yeah BUFF GRANDPA JOINS THE PARTY

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Chapter 30

Some powerful imagery in this one.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

this manga is extremely good

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Just started this and for a while I thought it was neat and okay but not super great. Then Senku split from the others and I actively disliked the double-page "here's everyone in the village" that was just a bunch of faces and names (except one) rather than organically introducing them.

And then Chrome appeared and the rad sorcery battle happened and it just keeps getting better from there.

I think it's entirely within Senku's character to take Kohaku aside and demand she list off every villager's name and a short bio so he knows what he's working with.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Taiju could probably carry an arc or two as the lead while they're separated but yeah Senku is thirty billion percent better as main protagonist.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

dr stone isn't big enough to worry about pacing problems yet

tho there are some shonen series that it never happens to. can't remember any pacing problems in yu yu hakusho anyway

Every time I rewatch YYH I have a tendency to burn out at the end of the Dark Tournament, because Team Urameshi vs Team Toguro kinda drags to me. I either take a break or have to force myself to plow through that chunk of episodes.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I think most of Tsukasa's idiot brute followers will either ditch him and go do their own thing or join Senku's side but Tsukasa himself will stick around. I don't think he's the final boss or anything but I also can't really see him just exiting the story altogether.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/dr-stone/en/0/50/page/1

Taiju was right all along

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I also really appreciate Gen as a secondary modern perspective who's not a total moron like Taiju. He obviously can't keep up with Senku and doesn't get most of the finer details but he at least has the frame of reference necessary for most of it to know more or less what's going on. His aside of "I mean I've heard the term 'vacuum tube' before but hell if I know what that actually is" was a nice little inclusion.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Presumably a number of them will pick the side of the super strong guy murderer on the grounds that he'll kill the poo poo out of them if they aren't on his side.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

This is maybe the first shonen jump popularity poll where the main character getting 1st place doesn't make me roll my eyes and scoff at how boring the people reading the manga are, because Senku rules and super deserves it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

holy loving poo poo

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The biggest issue I see with a Dr. Stone anime is people dropping it early based on the initial presentation of Taiju as the protagonist, and the only good stopping point for a first season being just after the reigns switch over to Senku, when he discovers Ishigami Village.

That said I'm incredibly excited. Dr. Stone is such a unique spin on shonen and deserves to shine with a good anime.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Galvanik posted:

I can't believe this series actually made me care about Tsukasa.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Anybody whose first action upon become de-petrified is to dramatically snap their fingers and shout "I'M BACK!!" is OK in my book.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

gotta invent currency to incentivize labor to gather resources to build a hot air balloon to search for oil to fuel a ship to sail to south america to find the source of humanity's petrification to turn tsukasa to stone to unpetrify him to heal his injuries so he doesn't die except he's already dead basically but it's ok because of DR. STONE

this is a good manga

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

This was known, but it's always good to be reminded.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

If kaseki doesn't make top 5 then Jump readers are cancelled

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I fell off for a few months back around chapter 100 so I figured I'd get caught back up before the anime started. I absolutely love this story arc. Kohaku is the best.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

how is every character in this series somehow simultaneously The Best

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Byakuya is a big cool hero and owns a bunch

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Unfortunately, Byakuya isn't Senkuu's dad, so he can't get the best manga dad award. :shrug:

They literally say "that doesn't matter" at the end. He absolutely was Senku's dad.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Gen is a goddamn beast!

I knew he was my favorite for a reason.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Moz is kind of like a dark mirror of Tsukasa. Both hellishly strong, both incredibly handsome, both at odds with the other guys at the top of their groups (though Tsukasa clearly had the advantage over Hyoga and Homura, rather than a 3-way deadlock) but they differ in several key ways. Obviously the time at which they were born gives them both extremely different contexts and awareness of science; Tsukasa knows exactly how much of a threat it is, and so tried to eliminate Senku right away, but Moz has no idea and underestimates them due to his own overconfidence, which is why he was even willing to have the discussion this chapter that led to him getting Gen-Jutsu'd. Moz is also very much about himself, it doesn't seem like he has any grand ambitions and is purely in it for his own personal desires, whereas Tsukasa did want to rebuild society, but under his ideals rather than Senku's. Also, Tsukasa, while morally gray, had kindness in his heart and genuinely did seem like he wanted to be on friendly terms with Senku, but their ideals just clashed too much for it to happen; Moz definitely seems like he'll have no time for any of the KoS once their usefulness is expended.

So yeah, Tsukasa was very obviously painted as a semi-sympathetic figure up front so he could be turned at the end of the Stone Wars arc without too much issue (mostly thanks to Yuzuriha being able to repair all the damage he did) but Moz seems like if he does stick around it'll be either as a villain in the next arc or two, or just as a loudmouthed rear end in a top hat they let hang around like Yoh and Magma because Gen gave him a bottle of cola and that convinced him science was cool or something.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The Catch-22 here is that they both need him to know and also not know they have it for the gun to have maximum psychological impact. Catching him off guard at the critical moment is the best time to reveal it so he doesn't have time to react, but it requires demonstration in that moment to show how threatening it is, which is risky. If they demonstrate at any point earlier than that, they risk the shock factor wearing off and Mozu tossing it around in his head and deciding he's more comfortable rolling the dice on calling their bluff (whether that be he thinks they won't have the guts to actually try to kill him, or that the thing won't be accurate enough to hit him).

Maybe they have Yoh practice in the cave and haphazardly clear out/cover up the results, which Mozu notices, which makes him realize they have some kind of secret weapon

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Ryusui had a very intricate black glove on his hand (a difficult thing to draw even without black cracks), I'm absolutely certain this was introduced due to that.

But Senkuu and Gen need to keep theirs. Gens scar is so expressive and Senkuus is pretty iconic at this point.

I could practically guarantee that's why Gen wasn't re-petrified. I don't remember if he even did anything especially crucial or noteworthy between the device going off and them restoring Taiju and the others that would've required him to be part of the group that escaped it, but even if he didn't there's no way they'd write away Gen's scar.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

But the big question remains, what about Gens face marks!

I'm hoping there's just some kind of bs answer like "Gen's was too big/deep and is permanent" and they wave it off because if Gen loses his then what is even the point of this series.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm also curious about Tsukasa and his statue collection. I thought he wanted to kill the adults but a lot of those statues he showed Gen looked like older muscle heads?

They're mostly all just really ugly buff teens/early 20-somethings.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

I feel like this is Inagaki telegraphing that the America arc is going to involve a lot of combat.

I hope it's the exact opposite and the Kingdom of Science Combat Division end up in a series of conflicts where they're forced to do puzzles and have mental battles.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Whenever they're in the middle of a big building/advancement spree and Chrome goes off and tries something Senku didn't remember/think of and he gets all proud of the scientific spirit in Chrome it's honestly so good.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I won't settle for less than a cowboy football player surf boxer and his team of cheerleader assistants from the mean streets of New York.

So Chibodee Crocket from G Gundam

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I was a couple weeks behind on WSJ series and just caught up on a bunch of em so I'd just like to say I absolutely love these new guys and I cannot wait to see how Senku and Dr. Xeno interact once they inevitably become BFFs who can talk science with each other.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I made an indescribable noise at that final page

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I'm glad Inagaki knows which characters butter his bread. If they had tried to split up the power trio of Senku, Gen, and Ryusui I would have been positively nettled.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Team Brasil: Senku, Kohaku, Gen, Ryusui, Francois, Chrome, Taiju, Tsukasa, Hyoga, Suika, Kaseki, Ukyo, Luna, Carlos, Max, Xeno

Basically all the important and/or popular characters, minus maybe Yuzuriha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

It's not a real Dr. Stone arc if there's no new cute girl introduced.