Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

I'm kinda curious how this conflict is gonna work out, because I can't really think of anything short of actual guns that would definitely allow Senkuu's side to defeat Tsukasa's army of swole warriors (and I feel like it's a huge stretch to make any particularly effective firearms within just a few years). Like, even if he manages to manufacture better armor and melee weapons, I'm not sure if that would make the difference against the super-human sorta fighters Senkuu is gathering.

Senku will re-invent ice cream, and everyone will cry tears of joy at the rediscovery of mankind's greatest source of comfort.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Now that I think about it, Magma could become Tsukasa's Starscream.

I feel like Magma defecting to Tsukasa's side is completely telegraphed. He'll probably steal one of Senku's inventions and think giving it to Tsukasa will earn him a high status. Except he'd probably pick one of Senku's most useless ingredients or something. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

even if he really stole one of senkuu's invention, tsukasa wouldn't use it. that's his whole thing

But didn't he already do that with the miracle water? I feel like Tsukasa is a hypocrite and wouldn't hesitate to use science if he's on the losing side and insist there's nothing wrong with it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Chapter 32

Forget the sulfuric acid, how does the physics behind Chrome slip-up even work? He would have to jump to even fall down like that. :psyduck:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Here's a link to the chapter that isn't translated by Mangastream.

I love Senku going, "Hey kids, don't use this dangerous chemical we taught you to make to dispose of corpses" and it's this really small panel.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I do like that Magma and Mantle aren't just dumb brutes, and that they can be pretty crafty too. Team Senku can't just easily curbstomp them with science, so it gives tension to this tournament.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My guess is that it's an experiment to save nature, only it got sabotaged. Like maybe it's supposed to be used for terraforming and restore nutrients to plants.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Man, Senku's really lucky that vending machine didn't fall down and smash his statue throughout the years.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they had access to the salvage of the entire human race but couldn't manage better than a rowboat.

From how I parsed it, Senku's dad picked to land on the island closest to where the first entry vessel was stranded, and the only one living there was a survivalist so there weren't any motorboats nearby.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

they had a functional boat, survival training, and they knew where the island was. plus, they or their descendants clearly left the island at some point. granted, not everyone can be as ambitious as senkuu, but aside from popping out kids what were they even doing all that time?

Oh, whoops, my bad haha. I misread your post as asking why Senku's dad didn't try to commandeer a fishing boat to save his friends.

But yeah, it's kind of weird how they settled down like that instead of trying to go to a hospital or something to figure out if the petrification was reversible.

Honestly, I'm hoping there's a reveal where Senku's dad sealed away a ton of books and a working computer with details about what caused the petrification hidden in a bunker/time capsule somewhere, because he believes Senku will recover and can use the knowledge.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I thought the comment that Senku's not related to his dad by blood was hilarious, but then they actually spelled this out for you in case you were still feeling weird about it and I busted out laughing. :allears:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Tsukasa's whole "Might Makes Right" schtick is honestly making me wonder if the manga will also have the weird racism in Eyeshield 21.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

LostRook posted:

Violent sociopaths that don't care about technology, so good people.

It's too bad that Tsukasa's main idea of "Hey, maybe let's not revive lovely adults so things won't end up back the same" is actually a good point. If there was a bit of nuance, it could have been a compelling argument against Senku's plan of reviving everyone.

It's just, you know, pretty much anything else Tsukasa has said or done has been the absolute worst and undermined that point. God, Tsukasa really is the weakest part of the manga. I really hope they replace him with someone more compelling after Stone Wars.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

That hanzo steel. :allears: Of course a Japanese Katana would be the strongest weapon in this setting.

So where does this fall in the tech tree again?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Plutonis posted:

It's more that in capecomics whenever they announce a superhero is passing the mantle that gets retconned months later. The only exception I can think of is uhh the Flash?

Uhhh, about that... With New52, DC rolled the role of Flash to Barry Allen so hard that Wally West stopped existing for years. To the point that the Flash on the TV show and the JL movie is pretty much Wally West but they called him Barry Allen because Barry is one of the most boring characters ever. :sigh:

Back to the chapter, I'm curious what's special about the spear Hyouga is carrying. It seems to have a trick to it, so maybe he's using something scientific to make it more effective? It might explain why he doesn't want anyone to look at it, since he doesn't want it getting back to Tsukasa.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I always figured he's not anti-technology, he just hastily tacked that on his lovely ideas because he saw Senku as the biggest threat for his wicked-adults-free society.

I mean, he's already using Senku's elixir, something made with science, just to revive folks for his army.

projectile weapons won't work against tsukasa because he is literally superhuman

Looks like they need a little help from a goddess then. :getin:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

"So this is the power of glasses!" It's a bit low-key but I love Kinrou's moment of amazement there. :3:

Also Gen's faces in this chapter are very strong. :allears:

Something I appreciate in Dr. Stone is that there's no stupid honorable fights you see in shonen. As long as it can make them win, then cheating like hell is on the table.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Clearly Senku will recreate smartphones. Taiju and Yuzuriha's dreams are about to come true! :v:

Also, I'm glad that old friend returned to help Senku out.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My favorite parts of the chapter were Kaseki's character moment where he admits he's been coasting along in life, and now that Senku's driving him to push his skills to the limit he's having so much fun.

The other bit was where Chrome had an idea represented as a spark of electricity, but he shook his head and changed it to a lightbulb since that's what they're rolling with now. :3:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Guys, c'mon, you know deep in your hearts where this is going.

Senku and Gen are going to bring back idols. Ruri's songs are going to be broadcasted to Tsukasa's army and sap all of their will to fight.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I do like that this gives us some insight on why Ukyo has done all of this. He's not really allied himself with Tsukasa or Senku. He saw Yuzuriha as someone amazingly kind and determined to save others. He knows she's friends with Senku, so now he wants to get a handle on what kind of a person Senku really is.

I'm speculating that maybe Ukyo has a family member whose statue was destroyed by Tsukasa, but he knows he's not strong enough to avenge them. So maybe Yuzuriha put them together and gave him hope again.

ConanThe3rd posted:

She’s been doing that under Tsukasa’s nose this whole time?!

I think it's as Nikki said. Tsukasa got used to being the top dog around. He knows he's got Nikki and Ukyo to guard Yuzuriha and Taiju, so he's entirely focused on the danger Senku brings to his kingdom. He honestly didn't imagine Yuzuriha could pull something like this off, or that Ukyo could have kept her secret like he did.

MonsterEnvy posted:

This page is great.

I really like Senku's expression here. The way one of his eyes is cast in shadow while the other looks so torn hammer home that he really hates giving the others false hope like this.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

There's a weird dissonance in trying to make us feel sympathy for Tsukasa because of his brain-dead sister, and then the next page has Tsukasa kneeing an opponent on the chin so hard and probably causing brain damage to that guy.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I love the looks of the people on Tsukasa's group when they realize just exactly what they're dealing with in Senku. They really have no clue what they're gonna be in for. :allears:

Galvanik posted:

I can't believe this series actually made me care about Tsukasa.

:hai:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

First Senku brought back idols, now he brought back Capitalism. And once they get the oil, he'll bring back pollution. Are we sure he's not the villain here? :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's cute that Taiju doesn't go "I've never seen this side of her!" and be shocked with Yuzuhira's quirks. Dude already knows the girl he likes pretty well. :3:

Also I laughed that Senku and Kaseki even included a cup holder in the loom. It's the tiny details that make this manga amazing.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Reporter lady's wish was to get a camera back so that they can archive how civilization recovers is pretty good. I like that in one panel, you can see her using her camera to try and record the light, even as we see her slowly get turned to stone.

And yes, old man continues to be the best.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Am I overthinking it, or are Senku and company going to try to reintroduce modern standards of beauty through Kohaku?

So the great leader has been ruling them for as long as anyone can remember, but no one's actually seen them physically? Maybe it's some kind of AI stored in the capsule? Kirisame's already a tremendous creep though, and I look forward to Kohaku crushing him.

It's interesting that whatever they used to petrify people, it had to be thrown up in the air and looked like it needed sunlight to activate. It might also be the reason they didn't petrify everyone at the Perseus until now. Considering how Mozu and Kirisame were extra vigilant and immediately caught Amaryllis and her friends leaving the island, they probably noticed the Perseus but couldn't do anything due to the storm.

Then there's still the mystery of how they got their hands on the petrification beam though. Either the original six astronauts traveled by sea and found a way to recreate a small-scale version of it, or some outsider managed to bring the tech to the island somehow.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

I will genuinely accept Senku as evil and Tsukasa as being in the right if he ever brings gacha into the new world.

Looking forward to Tsukasa unthawing and finding out Senku brought back the internet and Twitter already or something.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Crain posted:

Ok, that's a good point. Going back trying to find the chapter I vaguely remembered about Senku looking at reports of birds being hit world wide I saw the post petrification scenes where people's dogs were barking at their petrified owners. Do you remember what chapter Senku mentions it might have been a trial test on sparrows?

And yeah I don't have access to the official translations beyond the free chapters on Jump's Manga+. The scans on ReadMS and Mangadex translate it as Swallows. Either Swallows/Sparrows works for them being the most likely to be found since both nest in colonies and near/on buildings.

But the fact that it was world wide makes it seem weird to me. If it were localized to just one area that'd be one thing, but in chapter 43 Senku remarks that it's worldwide and proportional to the populations in those areas.

One thing I'm kinda sad they dropped so early is the concept of animals in the Stone World being completely different to animals in our time. Like cats or dogs must have gone completely feral since there's no human left to domesticate them, for starters.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The old priest guy being the one to pick the girls to bring to the harem just adds to my suspicion that the real leader is an AI or a computer left behind in the pod Senku's looking for while this creep is just using his position and the villagers' beliefs to get whatever he wants.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This minister guy is no fool. Too bad for him that he's going up against Senku and his crew so he's totally outmatched.

Major props to Kohaku for breaking Ryusui's statue down into easily pieced-together chunks and not have her hands bleeding out afterwards.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

While the plot hasn't advanced much with this chapter, I still appreciate how the author keeps underlining that one person can't solve everything and it takes everyone working together to move forward.

Also when Ryusui thought about having to get close to Taiju, I thought he'd kiss him to share his oxygen or something. :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I read Senku as being aro/ace, which is cool and pretty rare to see in a main character, especially in the shonen genre.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's brought up in the manga but people still felt that way

The most hilarious part of that is how the author had Senku go, "Yeah, Byakuya totally adopted me" just to put a stop to that discussion, despite how Senku and Byakuya totally look like they're related.

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 24, 2019

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ryusui wants to bring back pachinko machines and gambling? Truly the Science Kingdom are the bad guys. :v:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ughhhh. I know they're supposed to be in a harem, but it still sucks how Ginro got threatened with sexual assault like this.

Darth TNT posted:

I'm betting the stoned Soyuz dad is probably related to the long haired person Taiju found. He looks like he's missing half his face though and where did they get the petrification ray?

My guess is that Soyuz and his family are supposed to come from a long line of protectors of the petrification ray. The high priest guy is probably a thief that messed around with it, turned Soyuz' dad into stone and then took over his place as leader of the island.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

I'm getting a little annoyed at Kohaku being worfed so hard and often in this series.
Everyone on the science team acknowledges that she's by far the strongest fighter.
All her adversaries acknowledge that she's really strong and not someone to take lightly yet she has has won exactly never and has never been in a winning position in any fights either. :(

I know it's a science manga and having her beat everyone up goes against the spirit, but she's only 1 person. It's not like she can win wars on her own. :shrug:

I agree. Kohaku always being outclassed and how there's no women in the big decision-makers of the whole group is probably the main thing I don't like in Dr. Stone. I'm sure someone would say that's because it's the shonen genre and it's the way things are, but that's still a pretty weak justification.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

New chapter. I find myself just wanting to wait for the official translation now, since ReadMS' translations always feel so awkward. It looks like the group has a blind spot, huh? They keep talking up how they'll deal with Moz or Ibara afterwards but it just sounds like they have no idea what to do with enemies. It's an interesting problem since they can't kill their enemies, but the more enemies they put in jail like Hyoga the more they risk breakouts and poo poo.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I really appreciate the official translations and how they make things way easier to understand. There are times when ReadMS and Jaminis translations are just hard to parse.

Elfface posted:

Maybe they'll poison the bullets, or shoot the stoner out Mozu's hand.

My guess is they'll shoot Moz' spear and the force of it breaking would be the psychological edge they need to force him to stop attacking.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My guess is that Senku and company already thought of the possibility that Ibara is onto them and have a contingency plan. Note how Gen, Kaseki, Magma and Soyuz are all missing. They're probably planning to have Soyuz pretend to be the leader or say he's the son to confuse their enemies. Magma's probably sent off to capture Ibara by himself, since all of the Petrification Kingdom soldiers are fighting Senku's group.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'll be following the spin-off. I guess my only reservation about this is that Byakuya's story was pretty much done in Dr. Stone so I don't know this spin-off can even add anything new to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Dr. Stone does a great job ratcheting up the tension with this week's chapter.

Vengarr posted:

It does feel like he doesn’t quite get what makes Dr. Stone fun. If it was a Dr. Stone chapter, we would be starting the “build a computer to calculate atmospheric drag” arc instead of having a robot that can magically do it.

That bit with Byakuya admitting he just wants to see his son again was pretty good though, and makes me think his strengths just lie elsewhere.

It's still only what, 2 chapters or something? Maybe future chapters would be able to tell us something new about Byakuya and his crew. That said, I did kind of laugh at Byakuya convincing his crew to not land in the place where they could get easy access to technology they could use to study the petrification and instead going to Japan basically because Senku's there. :v: