Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Here's my recommendations for stuff that's got an ongoing plot:

66B
Adventures in New America
Among the Stars and Bones
Archive 81
Ark City
ars PARADOXICA
Dark Ages
Dreamboy
Duggan Hill
Fall of the House of Sunshine
Girl in Space
Hadron Gospel Hour
The Hyacinth Disaster
In Her Burning
Janus Descending
Kalila Stormfire's Economical Magic Services
Limetown
Mabel
The Magical History of Knox County
The Magnus Archives
The Message
Mirrors
Mission to Zyxx
The Orphans
The Penumbra
The Phenomenon
Point Mystic
A Scottish Podcast
The Six Disappearances of Ella McCray
Spines
StarTripper
Station to Station
Steal the Stars
The Subjective Truth
Tales from the Alethian Society
Tides
Unwell
Vast Horizon
Victoriocity
The White Vault
Wolf 359

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Add Old Gods of Appalachia to that list. They just wrapped season 1 and it's awesome.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

New Leaf posted:

Add Old Gods of Appalachia to that list. They just wrapped season 1 and it's awesome.

Yeah, Old Gods owns.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I haven't gotten a chance yet, still working through I Am In Eskew, so I didn't include it, but both seem to be thread favorites

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

thanks for the recommendations. i dont expect anything as good as wolf 359 i just want something to keep me going while jogging. magnus archives is good but its taking a while for the overarching plot to kick in and its too spooky for me when i jog at night

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

cuntman.net posted:

its too spooky for me when i jog at night

yeah, that seems like a bad idea :byodood:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Especially the episodes specifically about the dark.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've been blasting through a Magnus re-listen and it's somehow even better the second time through. I know some people like the mystery of it all, but I'm enjoying it knowing what's going on now.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

I got it from a library for free because libraries exist Lauren. gently caress you and your "you'll have to pay to experience the books why is that different from paying for more podcasts?" stance

Wait what?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There was an interview she did where she said something that paraphrased into "it's no different than having to buy a book to experience more of the universe"

I thought I posted it in this thread but I checked my post history and didn't see it

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

I've been blasting through a Magnus re-listen and it's somehow even better the second time through. I know some people like the mystery of it all, but I'm enjoying it knowing what's going on now.

One of the great joys of mysteries is going back and re-experiencing them once you know the answer so you can see all the clues.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I added Wrong Station to my playlist and I've tried to listed to episode 1 three times now I think but it starts and ends and everything between the sound starting and stopping just gets filtered out as white noise.

Has anyone listened to this one?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Droyer posted:

One of the great joys of mysteries is going back and re-experiencing them once you know the answer so you can see all the clues.

One of my favorite things was the last season Q+A where they talked about fans guessing the twists. If the fans guess correctly, RQ doesn't see it as a weakness; it's a sign they foreshadowed properly.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying TMA doesn't make sense or anything but the podcast doesn't resonate with me all anymore since it became nothing but metaplot, and it used to be my favorite podcast.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
You're likely in the minority on that one. I think the metaplot is part of the genius of the show.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm not saying TMA doesn't make sense or anything but the podcast doesn't resonate with me all anymore since it became nothing but metaplot, and it used to be my favorite podcast.

I can't recall the episode, but early on there was a name or something that made me realize I was hearing the beginning of a much larger world and story and I loving loved it. Nothing wrong with not enjoying it, but you are definitely in the minority.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Are you caught up?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

Are you caught up?

Yep. And it's a brilliantly done, brilliantly executed, ambitious podcast that also happens to have completely and totally lost what made me love it in the first place. Early on I would have called it something like a horror anthology podcast. Now it's a supernatural drama.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

just listen to actual horror anthology audiobooks

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

just listen to actual horror anthology audiobooks

The aesthetic is a huge part of it too, thought. I love the lo-fi presentation.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There are plenty of chintzy latter-day creepypasta compilations if that's what you're after

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

There are plenty of chintzy latter-day creepypasta compilations if that's what you're after

Like the horribly produced “Creepy” which it literally someone reading creepypasta

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I feel similar; I still like it enough that I’m looking forward to season 5 but I’m not a big fan of the writing style between statements. I’ll give them major props for the execution of the 4th season finale tho.

It’s not that I mind meta plots (so far I’ve been enjoying Old Gods, I really liked Video Palace) and tbh I LOVED the reoccurrence of the Leitner books and Mary & Gerard Keays in the 1st season. For me there’s a stylistic shift in script-writing/storytelling from the statements to the character dialog and I enjoy the former way more than the later.

The way the meta stuff is peppered into the statements in the first season is great. But, for example, the dialog for Nikola Orsinov was so cheesy and over-the-top I almost bailed on the podcast. A lot of the characters we meet directly just spout direct exposition (c’mon, show don’t tell!!). I hope we never get a direct statement from Agnes Montague; only knowing about her from other people’s’ interactions is so much more interesting! The old statement recordings are great (I’m always pumped when I hear Gertrude’s tapes, and Mary Keay’s episode is fantastic), but sometimes characters show up and have a direct Q&A session with Jon (Jurgen, Gerard) or just “Mwahaha I’m evil and SpOoKy” (Nikola, NotSasha) and... There’s better ways to relay info to an audience. Jane Prentis’s statement works because she’s not explaining herself; that episode is just a stream-of-conscious insight into her mind at that particular moment so it adds dimension to her other appearances.

This got longer than I planned, whoops. That being said I enjoy Magnus enough that I’m looking forward to the final season and I’m really impressed with how well they’ve followed through with such an ambitious story. Anything that goes full Devilman in the last act has my respect!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm looking for a serialized historical comedy podcast. Pretty open to period, but ideally pirates, colonial/early America, or medieval Europe. Is there anything like that out there? Ideally no sci-fi/fantasy elements. Going through the thread now, but I'm hoping to find something along the lines of Monkey Island or the colonial America parts of Day of the Tentacle, or Jack of All Trades or even that short-lived sitcom Making History—something comedy/character first, plot/history second, but firmly grounded in a real historical moment. Some adventure or intrigue element is a plus, but not necessary.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 17, 2020

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Not a podcast but the radio series Revolting People by Jay Tarses and Andy Hamilton fits that description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhW1gh_2GXo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh drat, that sounds perfect. I'll start that up on the commute tomorrow! Thanks.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
In a similar vein, you might want to look at The Castle and Bleak Expectations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My one complaint is with TMA is that the converging storylines create a single layer of extradimensional horror. While I'm fine with things being connected, I really wish that they'd occasionally brush up against something that's like "oh no that's the varsity, we know very little about them and what we do is pretty clear do not investigate/gently caress with. Just back out of the room slowly and hope we don't draw it's interest."

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My one complaint is with TMA is that the converging storylines create a single layer of extradimensional horror. While I'm fine with things being connected, I really wish that they'd occasionally brush up against something that's like "oh no that's the varsity, we know very little about them and what we do is pretty clear do not investigate/gently caress with. Just back out of the room slowly and hope we don't draw it's interest."

Or as they call them in the series. The extinction.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

This is exactly what Elias told Basira about the Web.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The White Vault’s second season is really dull.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Droyer posted:

This is exactly what Elias told Basira about the Web.

Yeah they are pretty drat explicit about not wanting to mess with the Web/Spider since you absolutely have no idea when it's manipulating you for its own ends. They also do try to keep the Spiral at arms length since it is extremely unpredictable.

None of the fears are represented as completely, utterly defeatable. Every small win they've managed has required sacrifice.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Montalvo posted:

The White Vault’s second season is really dull.

I wish it wasn't a palette swap of season one. There's been exactly one reveal so far that was interesting, otherwise it's just new people discovering the same things. I hope they start opening their mystery boxes soon. They've set up some neat ones.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Azathoth posted:

I wish it wasn't a palette swap of season one. There's been exactly one reveal so far that was interesting, otherwise it's just new people discovering the same things. I hope they start opening their mystery boxes soon. They've set up some neat ones.

They have a patreon exclusive series too, has anyone checked that out to see what that is?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
White Vault Artifact is good! It expands on the works building in a really interesting way. It's not serialized, and it kind of benefits from that fact. Worth the money, imo. There's a bit of suicidal ideation, if that's important to you as a listener, and it's also darker than the first two seasons.

I also bought some stickers and one of their shirts, too.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

Like the horribly produced “Creepy” which it literally someone reading creepypasta

You guys are illustrating my point for me though. My point is TMA used to basically be "that but actually good" and there's nothing else like it that I've found.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

So you don’t want something that’s actually good, you want something that’s actually good but sounds bad?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
He wants stand alone good stories like TMA but without metaplot. Stop being obtuse.

I forgot about The White Vault and just listened to S2. Why did they just recap S1? Wtf lazy poo poo is this.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

He wants stand alone good stories like TMA but without metaplot. Stop being obtuse.

I forgot about The White Vault and just listened to S2. Why did they just recap S1? Wtf lazy poo poo is this.

Do you mean S3? The stuff in Patagonia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
No, I mean S2, where they literally just play clips from S1 in an abridged version. Didn't even know about S3 until your post. Now I'm scared though.