Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wouldn't be surprised by that honestly and it would make sense why these episodes mostly went for monologues. It's still good, and it says a lot to their skill that I want to know more about drat near every character (barkeeper elf lady especially) after just the one episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, they have the ability to turn this into something really good if they want to. And, let's be honest, it's not like Wolf 359 didn't have a really, uh ... different ... start.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, they have the ability to turn this into something really good if they want to. And, let's be honest, it's not like Wolf 359 didn't have a really, uh ... different ... start.

I just recently went through all their stuff and the Nightvale in Space that Wolf 359 started as is definitely the weakest part. Once they found their footing and really started doing their own thing it got significantly better

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The new ep of Magnus Archives uses that old joke about dog heaven is squirrel hell and makes it haunting and sad :smith:

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

DarklyDreaming posted:

The new ep of Magnus Archives uses that old joke about dog heaven is squirrel hell and makes it haunting and sad :smith:

I'm catching up on the ~5 episodes I left off before the most recent break now that the final stretch is picking up and while I'm sure this is very unpleasant in context it did make me laugh out of context.

After years of pitching the show to some buddies they finally started listening right as it's closing shop, and hearing their takes on earlier episodes made me realize that I'm gonna miss the hell out of this show when it finishes.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Three episodes into The Silt Verses and I am loving it. It's every bit as good as Eskew, but so much more. Praise the Saint Electric!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
My biggest complaint about it, as mentioned above, it's so quiet. I can barely hear the drat thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

I just recently went through all their stuff and the Nightvale in Space that Wolf 359 started as is definitely the weakest part. Once they found their footing and really started doing their own thing it got significantly better

I just can't get into Nightvale. I tried the first episode and it just didn't grab me because it felt like "oh just radio" instead of anything with character. Does that change? In comparison Wolf grabbed me from the start because as goofy as it was it had character.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Nightvale was kinda the first to do this sort of thing, and it does take a while to find it's footing. It does get better, and there's a shitload of content to boot. Maybe look for one of their live shows to see if you're interested, it's always some of their best stuff, and they're meant to appeal to fans and newcomers alike.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I just can't get into Nightvale. I tried the first episode and it just didn't grab me because it felt like "oh just radio" instead of anything with character. Does that change? In comparison Wolf grabbed me from the start because as goofy as it was it had character.

The overall format of Night Vale stays pretty similar, it's worth pointing out. They eventually start telling longer stories and then start playing with their format in interesting ways, but yeah, definitely pick something more recent. The creators make some recommendations here:

http://www.welcometonightvale.com/listen

If you still want to stay early, "13 - A Story About You" is one of my favorites, or you could try "79 - Lost in the Mail" by SA's very own Zack Parsons. If you don't care for either of those, or really anything on that list of theirs, it's probably just not the show for you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azathoth posted:

The overall format of Night Vale stays pretty similar, it's worth pointing out. They eventually start telling longer stories and then start playing with their format in interesting ways, but yeah, definitely pick something more recent. The creators make some recommendations here:

http://www.welcometonightvale.com/listen

If you still want to stay early, "13 - A Story About You" is one of my favorites, or you could try "79 - Lost in the Mail" by SA's very own Zack Parsons. If you don't care for either of those, or really anything on that list of theirs, it's probably just not the show for you.

Thanks! So it isn't Magnus Archives/Wolf style or whatnot where I'll be lost in a metaplot?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Thanks! So it isn't Magnus Archives/Wolf style or whatnot where I'll be lost in a metaplot?

Not at all.

There's a very light ongoing metaplot regarding Cecil's personal life outside the station, but in any given episode, they make a point of mentioning who a character is, rather than assuming that you know who they are. They're really not lying when they say you can jump in anywhere.

They do eventually have story arcs where jumping in the middle might be weird, but even their big ones are like 3-4 episodes, and they mostly label them in the episode titles as multiparters. Even in the later ones when they don't do that explicitly, like the Blood Space War arc, it's obvious from the episode descriptions that they're all about that. Don't be afraid to read the descriptions, you won't get spoiled for anything meaningful.

All that said, they do a pretty neat job of seeding their earlier stories with mentions, hints, and little allusions to big things that happen later. Like, you could listen to the entire Blood Space War arc from 144 to 148 as your entry point and understand it fully and enjoy it without qualification. However, there's little things they drop in maybe a dozen or so earlier episodes that make some of the payoffs really quite a bit more meaningful.

If you do listen to a few and it does catch your fancy, I think the overall experience is enhanced by going through it as it was released, but that might only mean listening to the next one after one you really enjoyed and going from there, rather than going back to the beginning.

Or don't, listen out of chronological order, and revel in nonlinear chaos. It's perfectly in keeping with the show either way.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Azathoth posted:

Not at all.

There's a very light ongoing metaplot regarding Cecil's personal life outside the station, but in any given episode, they make a point of mentioning who a character is, rather than assuming that you know who they are. They're really not lying when they say you can jump in anywhere.

They do eventually have story arcs where jumping in the middle might be weird, but even their big ones are like 3-4 episodes, and they mostly label them in the episode titles as multiparters. Even in the later ones when they don't do that explicitly, like the Blood Space War arc, it's obvious from the episode descriptions that they're all about that. Don't be afraid to read the descriptions, you won't get spoiled for anything meaningful.

All that said, they do a pretty neat job of seeding their earlier stories with mentions, hints, and little allusions to big things that happen later. Like, you could listen to the entire Blood Space War arc from 144 to 148 as your entry point and understand it fully and enjoy it without qualification. However, there's little things they drop in maybe a dozen or so earlier episodes that make some of the payoffs really quite a bit more meaningful.

If you do listen to a few and it does catch your fancy, I think the overall experience is enhanced by going through it as it was released, but that might only mean listening to the next one after one you really enjoyed and going from there, rather than going back to the beginning.

Or don't, listen out of chronological order, and revel in nonlinear chaos. It's perfectly in keeping with the show either way.

It's also really neat going back and listening to the early episodes later. I feel that it's set up a bit like Lost / BSG in that they threw a bunch of stuff at the wall to see what will stick. IE: The Blood Space War is mentioned in Episode 2.

quote:

Tuesday afternoon, join the Night Vale PTA for a bake sale to support Citizens For a Blood Space War. Proceeds will go to support neutron bomb development and deployment to our outer solar system allies.
Probably a throw away line initially but one they go back to a few times until it's a 4 episode arc.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

calandryll posted:

My biggest complaint about it, as mentioned above, it's so quiet. I can barely hear the drat thing.

It's definitely one to listen to with headphones or some speakers you can crank up.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Weirdly enough I listen to it on my phone speaker no problem. My biggest problem there is that Carpenter and Faulkner sound really similar when they whisper or speak in certain tone of voice that my brain refuses to distinguish and checks out from dialogue sounding like nonsence. Something about Carpenter's accent too that makes my brain want to ignore whatever she is saying. I listened to 1st episode twice and still can't remember her origin story. Something about a brother, can someone spoil it for me pls?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Azathoth posted:

They can and they will. It will never resolve. You really should have accepted this by now.

Could always go the Black Tapes route and thus be like "we don't care anymore, write your own ending."

LongDarkNight posted:

Any others that fit that bill?

Welcome to Night Vale. Season 2 was all about an evil corporation taking over the town.

Azathoth posted:

Not at all.

There are some season-long arcs. Season 2 is the Strex Corp story and kind of builds on itself.

Honestly, my biggest problem with WTNV is that it's become too comfortable. I still listen to the new episodes because it's a familiar world to drop into, but that's the exact opposite of the original horror/humor balance.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

After every episode / arc, the characters in WTNV will be okay. That's part of it's appeal to a lot of folks.

As seriously as they treat it during the episode, the Glow Cloud is never going to actually devour the town. Cecil and Carlos are always going to reconcile and figure it out. That sort of thing.

That does mean that they're not going to have the dramatic punch of some other podcasts who are more willing to kill/damage main characters, permanently alter their worlds, etc. but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. They're just making a different choice.

I'll agree that it's a flip of the humor/horror ratio from earlier, but even at the start, they still mostly reset after every episode. It probably let them lean a little more into the existential horror side that they can't now that the cat is out of the bag that everything will always work out, because they really can't imply anymore that things won't always work out, but I still really like it for what it is.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Azathoth posted:

After every episode / arc, the characters in WTNV will be okay.

MOST of the characters will be okay.. unless you're an intern..

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Azathoth posted:

After every episode / arc, the characters in WTNV will be okay. That's part of it's appeal to a lot of folks.

As seriously as they treat it during the episode, the Glow Cloud is never going to actually devour the town. Cecil and Carlos are always going to reconcile and figure it out. That sort of thing.

That does mean that they're not going to have the dramatic punch of some other podcasts who are more willing to kill/damage main characters, permanently alter their worlds, etc. but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. They're just making a different choice.

I'll agree that it's a flip of the humor/horror ratio from earlier, but even at the start, they still mostly reset after every episode. It probably let them lean a little more into the existential horror side that they can't now that the cat is out of the bag that everything will always work out, because they really can't imply anymore that things won't always work out, but I still really like it for what it is.

Yeah, I don't necessarily mean it as a bad thing, it just doesn't have the punch it once did. But that's probably inevitable after eight years of production. The cause, I think, is that they never planned it to go this long and were surprised to see how many fans (especially young queer fans on Tumblr) identified with these characters. So the show sort of reoriented itself. Some people call that pandering, but I think it's valid to respond to what your fanbase likes. So I'm not really wanting them to start going grimdark edgelord, killing characters left and right. Still, I do feel like shaking things up might be good. In particular, they seem to keep going back to Hiram McDaniels as a plot line and it's getting old.

The last few years might have been especially softer because of Trump. You mention the Glow Cloud- I went to their live show in early 2017 and they gave the Glow Cloud a monologue where he basically said "enough with the 'all hail' nonsense, I don't want praise, I just want you to be nice to each other." Fink said that he was trying to give people hope at a time when a lot of their fanbase were scared of what was going on in the world. I also think it might have been influenced by his Jewish heritage, as that monologue is basically the opening of the book of Isaiah.

New Leaf posted:

MOST of the characters will be okay.. unless you're an intern..

This is a huge difference. It's almost impossible to reconcile the sensitive, caring Cecil we know now with the one who would casually write off a different intern every week. They wanted him to be vaguely unsettling at first, and he developed into a teddy bear. Again, not necessarily a bad thing, just a very different feel now.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jurgan posted:

Could always go the Black Tapes route and thus be like "we don't care anymore, write your own ending."

Wait that's their position now?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Wait that's their position now?

That’s what the abrupt ending implied to me, anyway.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

That’s what the abrupt ending implied to me, anyway.

they updated the notes to say mid series finale and never did anything else lol

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.
Has the author of Limetown ever considered writing a story where the characters are actually likeable?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Izzhov posted:

Has the author of Limetown ever considered writing a story where the characters are actually likeable?

How else will you know it's gritty prestige media if you don't hate the characters and want them all to die?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

https://podyssey.fm/deep-dive/id79-best-fiction-podcasts

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

It's amazing how few of these I've heard of, and when you think about "all time", that Welcome to Night Vale isn't on the list.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I've heard of 11 of the 15, am caught up on 5 of them. Highly recommend Passenger List and Girl in Space for those who haven't listened.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Well I just listened to the whole of I am in Eskew in like three days.

Now I'm depressed and it's raining oh god

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Well I just listened to the whole of I am in Eskew in like three days.

Now I'm depressed and it's raining oh god
It's an incredible story that leaves my eyes leaking at the end.

Now is of course the time to start The Silt Verses

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

So, Magnus Archives 196

Is the implication that the listeners are part of the Web?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Boxman posted:

So, Magnus Archives 196

My current theory is that our world is on the other side of the gateway, and Annabelle has been feeding it tapes, which is how we're listening to the show.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

vortmax posted:

It's an incredible story that leaves my eyes leaking at the end.

Now is of course the time to start The Silt Verses

The Silt Verses actually got me to go listen to Eskew. The last Silt Verses had some of the best sound design I've ever heard. Great poo poo.

Magnus is going to have a weird meta ending and I think it's going to be wild.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Magnus is going to have a weird meta ending and I think it's going to be wild.

At this point I'm waiting for the Goon Consensus on the ending before I try it again. Then I'll probably binge it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Boxman posted:

So, Magnus Archives 196

the icon for the podcast is a tape made of webs, so...yeah, that seems reasonable

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
I wonder how well the exclusive, paid feed worked out if The Bright Sessions is moving the AM Archives over to the free feed?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Antitonic posted:

I wonder how well the exclusive, paid feed worked out if The Bright Sessions is moving the AM Archives over to the free feed?

That means we should be getting the Caleb and Adam one on the free feed eventually

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I know Lauren Shippen is doing something Bright Sessions related over at Luminary, maybe it's related to that?

I know when LPotL went Spotify exclusive one of the parts of their deal was they couldn't do a Patreon. I could see it being something similar.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can't decide if I love or hate where TMA is probably headed, but I'll say this. I was sure I knew where it was headed, at least generally, and MAN was I wrong.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I enjoyed the TMA fridge humor of having to jump off and just kinda wait and then peel yourself off the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Back in the mid-90s my brother ended up getting a copy of something special. A dude named Erik Ray would make simple music and mix together little audio bits for his friends, and ended up putting together a complete audio play called The Lambda Expressway. He apparently died in 2008 when someone ran him over while riding his bike, and the few places I saw hosting TLE seem to have faded from the internet. It's shoddy, weird, and some of the black-coded voicework is probably problematic, but it's also brilliant and iconic and its goofs, cadence, and characters have lived rent-free in my head since childhood. While a more complete version apparently exists somewhere, the "standard cut" that Erik put out on CD for a few folks is absolutely worth listening to and I hope you all give it a chance. I'm super glad my brother mirrored it himself:

https://zork.net/~nick/ogg/gunpoint_studios/lambda_expressway/