Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Liquid Drink posted:

I never played a splinter cell game. Which would be a good one to start? I hear they are kind of hit or miss.

chaos theory is regarded by many as the best one, there are PC ports of the splinter cell games but the older ports are completely broken and the newer games aren't that great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

oh and the soundtrack had some really really good tracks too. shame you wont hear some of their most punchy variations if you're playing good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X0tDvCpxmY

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Blacklist is great because you can kill half the people you see and pretend you're in a spy movie. All the other really good stealth games discourage killing people but Blacklist gives you a ranking for it

i heard mixed things, but i should give it an honest shot soon. next stream game? hmm

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Control Volume posted:

It's pretty mediocre if you try playing pure stealth like you can in chaos theory, and that turned a lot of people off the game

i dont think ill mind too much as long as the action scenes aren't terribly dull like they were in conviction lol.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the crux of a good stealth game is being so powerful in combat you can take on 30 guards surrounding you with ease

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i liked that mgs3 didn't have a magical radar that showed every enemy and line of sight, instead they give you a motion detector that detects the dozens of critters and birds all over the place and it was worthless so you had to rely on your sight and intuition.

mgs3 ends up being a little easy though, the better controls and camera let you escape nasty situations even on extreme mode. MGS2 extreme was legit nearly impossible and I wanted that challenge in 3

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

then again, the difficulty and your amount of control had a lot to do with the level design. in MGS2 you went from small corridor to small corridor, and an army would swarm in from all exits if you got caught so you were completely hosed 99% of the time. MGS3 had wide open areas with tons of places to hide and escape routes, and you could literally turn invisible

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

i called them anal orgasms because its the first one i thought of, how ive probably had my rear end hosed 10000000000 in my lifetime and it always feels awesome, the little squish effect, the fact that it maintains your forward momentum and you can fly off of them like springs. Bellisimo!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PUBG is awesome and takes all of the cool ideas from stuff like h1z1 and dayZ and actually executes them well, forcing players to move closer to eachother with a death field, care packages and red zones is genius and does wonders for the pacing.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dayz is insanely boring and for people with brain diseases so its no wonder gamers ate it up and it spawned a million equally bad clones. pubg is the first good thing to come out of the 'hunger games' multiplayer style craze

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

if anything the chaos system was my biggest problem with the dishonored series so Im glad at least one of the dlcs did away with that.

i should replay 1 and its dlc in prep for playing through 2

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i was watching an old review from a dude I like on YT and he played himself, doing the thing where he was savescumming dishonored and playing it in the most tedious way by reloading at any slight error over and over and of course he didnt really like the game

thats why a lot of stealth games dont give you magic quick save powers and either put a hard limit on them like Hitman or use checkpoints/static savepoints in the world etc., to protect the player from themselves and never let them ruin the funnest part of the game: improvising when poo poo hits the fan

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

i think often the problem with stealth games is when they dont make the escape have any interesting or fun gameplay mechanics involved, cementing it as a black and white failure state.

yeah, thats what makes the quicksave stuff in dh doubly unfortunate, you literally have an arsenal of cool powers to use when you gently caress up and all sorts of dynamic things can happen with the AI and environment, instead a lot of players skip this and hit the quickload lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArfJason posted:

The soundtrak in chaos theory is really understated and also reeeeaaal good. Worth loving up here and there to hear some of the added instrumentation

i still listen to the ost every now and then, its so great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I would guess that 90 percent of my Hitman playtime is just throwing things at people's heads.

the best is when they turn and see the fire extinguisher flying at them and scream for 1/5th of a second before the *PLUNK*. hit man is so good i need to figure out how to get it streaming