Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

What's up with all the people posting furry poo poo in the square lately, it's extremely un-fresh.
Is this the latest meme that's popular with the kids or some poo poo

Nephzinho posted:

Motion controls are overrated. STIXXXXX.

Time to start prestieging those +'s.

I don't understand how people get S-ranks so quickly, do you guys not get the same people I get in ranked matchmaking where they'll gently caress around painting some random corner of the map while the enemy splatzone counter is ticking away / enemy is riding the tower to our goal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

My first two matches were ketchup vs ketchup. I think it's pretty clear how The Battle of Blood vs Jizz is gonna turn out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zeruel posted:

i swear to god if australia removed the red and white ink i'll be pissed.
if its saved for actual ketchup v mayo battles i'll be a little pissed, i've only seen green and purple so far.

e: thank god its Red V White when its actually Ketchup v Mayo

Yeah, it was that way in the first game too. It's how you know you're playing an exhibition match.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I used my mighty octobrush to wreck fools in the name of Team Ketchup until my hands cramped and my battery ran out, got halfway through Defender. A pretty good night of embarrassing team jizz. It's good to have splatfest back.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Seriously.

Why the gently caress is Grizzco open? This is the one time it makes sense to be closed.

For people like that one dude in the Splatoon 1 thread that would always make walls of text cryposting about splatfest every single time it was on, I guess.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Turtlicious posted:

I need to rank up but I don't want to play anymore, how does the AFK detection work?

gently caress you, that's how.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kaubocks posted:

there are multiple splatfest songs though so that is a massive improvement over the first game, not even joking

I actually like the splatfest music better than the regular rotation.

quote:

i miss zolthorg

That makes one of us.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Gorp posted:

This dampens my bloodthirst and I don't like it. I want the losers to feel like they lost out on mad money.
Splatoon 1 was what, 5 for max on losing team 10 if maxed on winners?

If we put this into 50,000 per snail like it was in the original the difference is nuts.

Splatoon1 - Win 500,000 Lose 250,000
Splatoon2- Win 1,200,000 Lose 1,150,000

I think the difference between winning and losing in S1 was like 6 snails. It's never made that much of a difference, I don't think I ever even used half of them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nalin posted:

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to contribute that well because I had to play over cellular data, but I went on a roll for my ketchup bros. Got to around 1950 rating before becoming King and trounced on mayo constantly. Had about 2:1 win loss. Much better showing on my part compared to the first splatfest where I got around 1650 rating.

It seems that worse bandwidth works in your favor. It felt like my shots were landing a lot more when I was playing out of town on a poo poo connection than when I got back home.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Caphi posted:

So all the ketchup mirror matches don't count? Because there's a lot of them.

Nope. Just boosts your status but that's it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

lelandjs posted:

All the loving Aidens chose Ketchup

What is this "Aidens" poo poo

is this the equivalent of "Chads" for broken people when they want to blame children for their general life failures instead of their relationship failures

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Spellman posted:

You wanted your Miiverse, you got it

This is not miiverse I knew and loved.

This is something different.

Something... wrong.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

lelandjs posted:

I'm gonna regret making this joke buuuut

I thought the inklings and octolings didn't have bones?

I don't know if you regret it... but I sure do.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fun Times! posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who likes all of the stages in the game.

I like shifty stage but Moray Towers is the worst stage in both games and I don't know why they chose that one out of all the Splatoon 1 stages to carry over.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kaubocks posted:

shifty station is ok but gives me kelp dome vibes of "big stage where in turf war you often spend a lot of time running around aimlessly never seeing an enemy"

If you spent a lot of time in kelp dome not seeing any enemies, you did something wrong.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Where do these ability chunks come from? I haven't seen anything explaining that yet.

The Gorp posted:

As someone who ended with 2100 by the end of splatfest, Dualie Squelchers and Splatterpro are becoming more and more enticing.
Outranging people is super valuable when you don't have to use a charger to do it.

They're great, when the net code doesn't make your shots go straight through the enemy to the point where you can be outranged by an aerospray.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Is there somewhere you can see how many "fresh" ratings your drawings get? I never see my drawings in the plaza.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ended splatfest with three losses in a row on some mediocre-rear end teams after a 12-game winning streak. :(
Went 31-19 in my last 50 battles, although that doesn't count some of my wins outside the last 50 and most of the losses were against other ketchup teams.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wendell posted:

Did Splatoon 1 introduce new songs over time, or are Off the Hook likely to put on the exact same concert for every Splatfest?

They did introduce new songs over time, but not for splatfest, that one had the same one song for every match, excepting the final Callie vs. Marie splatfest that had the Squid Sisters song instead.
Splatfest seems to currently have better variety than the regular song rotation, so we're already ahead of the curve in that respect.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can use the right stick as a cursor with the map open.

Or tilt the controller to move your selector. It's the same as picking someone to super jump on.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 6, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Wendell posted:

You can place beacons to superjump to? How did I miss that?! Dang.

If you have a weapon with the Squid Beakons sub. You can also jump to beacons your teammates place, but enemies can also see where they're placed on the map.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Man, is there anything more worthless than a loving charger on salmon run

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Owers posted:

Chargers are great against Steelhead, Steel Eel, and Drizzler, what are you talking about. The only instance when a charger is useless is when you're stuck with the loving goo tuber.

I haven't found a single place on the current map where you can be close enough to be in range to hit one of those fuckers and not also be getting overrun by creeps.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

nerd_of_prey posted:

This was me in tower control yesterday. They are past checkpoint 2, why are 2 of you painting the other side of the map!!!!

I had a TC match where I singlehandedly wiped out the enemy team like 3 times over and rode the tower to like 5 points, and still lost by knockout because my bumblefuck team members were off in random corners of the map instead of helping me kill the enemy and stop the tower.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Moray Towers is an utter trainwreck dominated by Chargers, or anything that can dump ink into the middle ground really, and has been since it was introduced. It's even worse in Splatoon 2, because for some inane reason the Splat Zones are both in prime Charger-spam no-man's-land.

At least they added rails that lead to the prime sniper nests. The only thing I enjoy about that lovely map is riding them up and destroying the chargers who are paying no attention to their surroundings.

Escobarbarian posted:

So many times I pick up the Rainmaker with 2-3 teammates around me and then they just......don't follow me. Like at all. They kinda just stay where they are, or go dogfight with every other member of the opposing team except the ones who are actually attacking me.

I usually get this, but one glorious round we wiped out the enemy team at the start and I was able to paint a path straight to the goal, and after spamming "This Way!" for 5 seconds straight they actually followed it.

It made me so proud :allears:

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 11, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lots of terrible loving umbrella users out there right now, which is either great news or terrible news depending on how many of them wind up on your team.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gusher Rounds, however, are a wretched crapshoot. Chances are you're gonna spend far too long looking for the loving thing, even if you know that it's the gusher height (not the brightness) that denotes how close you are.

god dammit
Why do we still get mistranslations that are completely wrong in 2017?

bizarre deformity posted:

I held off on ranked until yesterday for some weird reason but anyway Ranked rules although I still don't like Splat Zones very much.

Btw the amiibo unlock music after you hit a certain level (20?) so now I have most of the songs from the first game unlocked which owns.

Oh, so the amiibo can do things other than saving loadouts? I just figured that since people whined so much about the single player challenges tied the amiibos in S1 that they decided gently caress it, we'll make them practically useless this time.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 14, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If your crew-mates aren't drooling imbeciles, they'll be spamming "THIS WAY" the moment it pops out.

My crewmates are always drooling imbeciles who don't loving come when I spam THIS WAY.
I downgraded from Profreshional back to Overachiever because of like 5 straight matches with idiots who acted like they somehow never played a Goldie or Mothership round and couldn't be bothered to go around to scoop up the pile of eggs I Stingray'd out of the Goldie, or to shoot the goddamn chinooks. Just left the eggs sitting there.

What is it with people that play objective modes yet have no interest in accomplishing the objective? Rainmaker seems the worst about this.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

In Training posted:

from personal anecdotal experience it's the Luna Blaster

Did they make the Luna Blaster slower in this game? I was so excited to use it because it was just an unstoppable force of death on Tower Control in S1, and it seems to shoot so slow now that I could barely get one shot off at an enemy before I got annihilated (the fact that the netcode often makes me explode as soon as an enemy looks at me notwithstanding). Am I just imagining things? It feels almost as slow as the regular Blaster.

The Rapid Blaster on the other hand is a really good range weapon, and I hated that one in S1.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tatsuta Age posted:

Really easy set off salmon run weapons this time

Shame that pubbies are still loving awful and won't kill flyfish / collect eggs.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I don't ever even see my own stuff in the square / in game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fun Times! posted:

Does my invisibility affect my clothes and stuff I'm holding because if not then gently caress that, let me fly.

If we're going by the picture then nope, clothes are still visible, as are your eyes maybe?

That's some lovely invisibility.

There's literally no way to transfer saves between consoles yet, right? If my wife bought that Splatoon 2 bundle, she couldn't move her current save file over to the new console?

Just looked this up because I figured no way would they do something this fuckin' stupid especially when you can easily transfer saves on the 3DS... but nope, looks like they can't, at least not for now.
I really want that Splatoon 2 one too, so I can co-op together with my kids and hopefully help them be less terrible.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 17, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

dog nougat posted:

I really hope the inkbrush never appears in it again though. Quite possibly the worst possible weapon for SR. It really only seems marginally useful for inking a quick line through the salmon ink. Unless I'm totally stupid (which is probable), it takes at least 2 hits to kill even a chum. If ya see anything beyond a single cohock(?) coming, might as well turn and run cuz you'll be outta ink in the time it takes to knock out, providing the laughably low damage doesn't get you swarmed in the first place.

Here's the thing about the octobrush, it's possible to be too close to enemies to do any damage, because the splats when you swing it around don't come out of the brush, they just kinda appear a few feet out. So for maximum effectiveness, keep a little bit of distance between yourself and your target.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dr. Fetus posted:

This build is so stupid.

The worst part is that it's actually working.

Isn't there a point of diminishing returns with the number of abilities you have? Would it increase your killin' potential if you had Special Power Up on one of those?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nephzinho posted:

Special up power on tentas only increases the targeting reticle, making it easier to hit more people. In practice it doesn't make much of a difference because you're either getting it off fast in combat against 1-2 people for a quick reload/harass/to not lose points or going back to spawn and lining up an easy 4.

It doesn't even make the impact spots larger? Lame. It seems pretty worthless in inkjet too, I swear I hit motherfuckers right in their face multiple times with that thing sometimes and they just shrug it right off.

Only one that seems useful is the splashdown to make the impact zone bigger, and even then somehow it can be blocked by brellas which is high grade bullshit.

Turtlicious posted:

Just played against a hacker duo in Ranked, they all had kanji names, and they were able to spam their specials over and over and over, they took the rainmaker to 5, then ran it back and spammed specials repeatedly at us so we couldn't leave spawn.

If people have hacked the switch already, maybe they can put their abilities to good and hack up a way to backup save data.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 19, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fossilized Rappy posted:

People in Profreshional still have a strange aversion to killing Flyfish, even after a month of play. Is their thought process that you should just dodge them and focus on more important targets?

Usually I've been on some good streaks with profreshional pubbies, but today they seem to have forgotten that you're supposed to kill boss salmonids in general, both so you can get eggs to complete the wave and so you don't get overrun by five Stinger lasers crossing the streams while a thousand Flyfish bombs rain down on you.

Also, how do people get to Profreshional rank without knowing how to play Mothership or Gusher rounds? It's infuriating because you can tell within the first 10 seconds or so whether you're going to lose due to not enough eggs.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Longer range seems like the last loving thing the dualies need. The iframes from those goddamn rolls are annoying enough on their own.

enojy posted:

I think so, but that's me. Unless I've got a bomb super or they're really conveniently located, I skip them -- there is just too much poo poo spawning at Profreshional to worry about saving up ink for a bomb and aiming up, just to take out half of it. It helps that they're one of the easier bosses to avoid completely.

If you catch a flyfish right as they open, you should have time to throw a bomb and charge up enough to throw a second bomb. I often wind up having to do that myself.

A lot of people don't realize that sting ray can be the best special in Salmon Run if used properly. Sad.

Every time I got glowflies tonight, I stood by the basket and spammed this way. One of the times the whole team joined me after about fifteen seconds and we got 30+ eggs. Another time they didn't and we nearly wiped and barely got 20 eggs. Dudes with the glowflies kept running off on their own like idiots. I wish there were custom options for things to say with like, left and right on the dpad

I wish there was an option to express what I yell IRL every time somebody takes the elevator and leaves three people with eggs behind.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Kinda disappointing that they completely changed Pearl and Marina's personalities in the translation; I thought we'd gotten past this, it's not the 90s anymore, and we've got plenty of examples of how badly that can backfire in the long run. (see Ace Attorney) It's not quite 'calling rice balls donuts' level, but it's going to make a lot of difficult work for the translators in the long run given the Japanese characterisations may develop in obviously different ways than they're prepared to work with.

Yeah, it's not the '90s anymore, so you would think people would know after 20 years of dry, literal translations that going that route loving sucks.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 22, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Supercar Gautier posted:

Localization teams also work in tandem with the dev team and the original writers, so Treehouse was probably like "Hey we'd like to present Pearl and Marina's personalities this way because it's a dynamic we think NA players will get" and the Splatoon team were probably like "okay thats fine". The myth of the rogue translator desecrating the original text without permission is kind of bullshit.

I think there are just some people that wouldn't be happy unless game translations are like those lovely anime subs where 90% of the dialogue is obscure Japanese references accompanied by a paragraph-sized footnote explanation that is neither interesting nor funny.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

tap my mountain posted:

I'm afraid they're going to nerf it to make it as bad as the description sounds

Was it ever confirmed if it's a incorrect on the jp version or if it's a localization slip-up

I've never used it because of the description, what does it actually do?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

tap my mountain posted:

Longer respawn for yourself and people you splat.

Oh, that's exactly what I thought it was from the description. :confused:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

In Training posted:

Yeah I was fine with them just being Callie and Marie again because it makes sense. Every TV personality sounds and acts the same anyway

~*~ but my moe octowaifu ~*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Man, pubbies in Salmon Run are loving hot stinking garbage tonight. At least I got two 32k bonuses.