Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Jarogue posted:

Bot keeps telling me that the string isn't there

The quotes around your name are the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

You're very wrong.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

It also does the same amount of damage from above as it does from below or head on.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

No, that would probably be Rainmaker on Inkblot Art Academy and Moray Towers.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

It's good.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Steelheads deciding to just not shoot is probably the worst thing in the new map, because it can actively screw you. The Flyfish deciding to come really close to you on low tide is actually a blessing, because it makes them easier to kill, and their eggs are closer to the basket.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

The pro tip is join the discord and ask goons to help. I helped neph earlier today with another goon to get salmon run even though we already did super bonus.

Can confirm, we helped neph get his bonuses today, and even helped out some lucky pubs along the way.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

What Zoran said.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

The ink is most definitely a sky blue, that's not up for discussion.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Update has not dropped yet.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

An example of Neph's last point is that goons that play with me regularly have stopped camping Super Jump landings (I'm a Splat Roller/Hero Roller main).

EDIT: To actually add to the conversation, another thing about Splashdown is that there are two damage zones outside of the lethal zone, one for 70 damage and one for 55. You can use those ranges, and the brief invincibility you get when you land, to splat people that escape from the lethal area, or soften someone up first and use Splashdown to guarantee the splat. Splashdown can be devastating on The Reef Splat Zones, due to the zone being right below the bridge. A well positioned Splashdown can break, or take, the point in one action.

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 8, 2017

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

They made it so that, if single hit does over 100 damage, the damage past 100, up to a Max of 80 damage, bleeds through to the person you're hitting, bypassing the armor, as well as breaking it.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Charging is also fine if you see long lines of Salmonids that aren't right in your face, which the doors on this map help encourage. Charging is also good for getting hits on eels, scrappers, and drizzlers, so charging isn't something that you should never do.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

I would probably stick with Last Ditch Effort for Turf Wars, since the last part of the match tends to be the most influential part most of the time.

It might be worth considering in ranked for support roles assuming you happen to have no other abilities you want over it, but yeah, Comeback is far better there for more active and aggressive players.

To expand on the active and aggressive part, some of the best weapons for Comeback are brushes, rollers, and the Clash and Luna Blasters, which are all close range weapons that have a tendency to trade splats. For those weapons, which, in ranked, should be ones that push in once you have control, Comeback is somewhat of a lesser version of the Zombie build from the first game, while also allowing you to fight more effectively once you get back to the fight.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Someone earlier in the thread was looking for roller tips, right? Here are some handy tips for rollers.

Tip 1: Unless the area has been cleared of enemies, do not actively roll with rollers. It may seem counter-intuitive, but rolling is just going to lead to you getting shot repeatedly. Your main method of getting splats with a roller is through flicks, not by crushing. Any other time you should be swimming around, if you have control of an area, looking for targets, although crush splatting a charger is always hilarious. If you are in a situation where you have to roll in enemy territory, try to move as unpredictably as possible, and try to get back to safety as soon as possible.

Tip 2: Know your flicks. No matter which roller you're using, you need to know how long it takes for both flicks to finish, as well as knowing at what range the flick goes from a one shot to a two shot or from a two shot to a three shot. You also need to know just how wide the "sweet spot" on your horizontal flick is. The "sweet spot" is the area of the flick that does full damage, and is usually half the width of the full flick. The edges of the horizontal flick do half damage, so if you ever fail to splat someone at point-blank, it's probably because they left the sweet spot before you got your flick off. Another thing to remember about flicks is that even the basic Splat Roller can out-range a good number of guns with the vertical flick, and the only weapons that out-range the vertical flick of the Dynamo Roller are chargers. Vertical flicks are also useful for traveling quickly, since you can lay down a line of ink then swim through it.

Tip 2.5: Know the width of your roller. I know I said that you shouldn't be rolling most of the time, but sometimes you have to, or you're caught by surprise while you're inking. In these situations, knowing just how wide your roller is when it's on the ground will help you dodge more effectively while still allowing you to maneuver your way to a splat. Specifically, knowing that the splashes coming off the side of the roller when you're rolling count as part of the roller's hit box helps a ton when you're swerving to avoid shots and have to go for the crush. Along the same line of thought, know how fast you run when going full speed with your roller. Basically what I'm saying is, know your roller, which leads into the next tip.

Tip 3: Use the rest of your kit. It may seem obvious, but please, use your subs and specials. There are going to be times where the enemy knows you're there, but not where you are exactly. At those times, using your offensive subs (if you have them), can help to distract your enemy, allowing you to move in for the kill. In fact, most of the sub weapons that are on the currently available roller kits are great for area control and denial, be it the Curling Bombs on the Splat Roller, the Ink Mines on the Dynamo Roller, or the Splash Wall on the Flingza Roller. The only sub that isn't good for area denial on the roller kits is the beakon, and that is useful for infiltration. Similarly, know how your special works, what the range on it is, and when to use it.

Tip 4: Always fight on your terms. If your enemy knows you are there, you should back off unless they're close to being splatted. Do not try to get into a shoot-out with your enemy, because you will lose. Instead, back off and see if you can't come at them from a different angle, or see if there is someone else you can go after. If you see someone mindlessly shooting in front of them, don't approach them from the front, because you're just going to be splatted on accident. Use the terrain to your advantage, with ledges and blind corners being prime spots for you to get splats. Similarly, keep an eye on your map so you can know if you're being chased and generally where everyone is. Never try to fight a Baller, you will lose. Do not get discouraged if your perfectly planned ambush fails, because that will happen, a lot. Sometimes, a charger will get a random lucky shot on where you're hiding and splat you, a teammate will super jump to you and reveal you, or an Aerospray will paint under you and force you to reveal yourself. These things happen, and there is little you can do to stop it. Do not be upset at trading splats either, because you aren't expecting to live for a long time, and if you picked off a person that had just finished charging their special in your trade, you've set them back a bit.

Extra tips: The better you know the maps, the better you'll do with a roller. Similarly, the roller is the weapon, along with the charger, that is most likely to be screwed by the random chance of what weapons your teammates are using, because four rollers isn't very good. Don't be surprised if you don't get a very high paint score in Turf War, because the roller isn't great at covering a lot of turf, and if things are going well, there won't be much to paint.

One of the biggest tips I can give for fighting rollers is to always, always, always cover enemy ink when you see it, because that removes potential hiding spots. I can't tell you the number of times I've hidden in tiny puddles of ink and still managed to get a splat. Another tip is if a roller is rolling at you, back up while shooting. They won't be able to reach you, and will either have to disengage or get splatted. If you see a roller doing a horizontal flick, try to get to their side, since that can cause you to get out of their sweet spot. And finally, don't let a roller escape if you can help it, because otherwise they'll just be back in a few seconds to cause you more trouble.

I hope these tips are helpful for people looking to try rollers.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This is all very useful information. I'll have to try these weapons again, but this here is what confuses me. I thought rollers were supposed to paint turf thoroughly. If that's not their job what are they meant to do, since it's made clear that they're not really good at infiltrating enemy turf either.

Rollers are meant to be assassins, sneaking in behind the enemy and taking them out from the flank. They can cover a wide area quickly and make trails for teammates to follow. But they're actually really bad at covering turf in general. The game actually lies to you about this, because things like Aerosprays and Splattershot Jrs are much better at covering turf than a roller. It also ties into the fact that you should only really be rolling when it's safe. Rollers can push into unguarded flanks really quickly, and are some of the most aggressive weapons in the game, but you should only be breaking 800p when you literally don't get splatted in a round.

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 21, 2017

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Enemies can not see mines you place until they are detonating, and inking a mine causes it to detonate like normal.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I figured someone might want these;

Thanks for these, took the cello.

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 27, 2017

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

The play with friends for turf war is exactly the same as the first game. If you want to guarantee teams, play league.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

For those of you that don't realize, as of right now, this Splatfest is EU only.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

The main issue with the Flingza is that anything that roller can do, the regular and Dynamo can do far better. The Flingza feels like a jack of all trades weapon, which is weird considering the Splat Roller already falls under that role, and plays that role way better. The Flingza's kit is also really not that good. It seems to be a defensive kit, but the Flingza really doesn't do that well as a defensive weapon. The current Dynamo kit does that job better.

The Flingza feels like a jack of all trades in the wrong way, trying to take the best parts of each of the other rollers and doing the same thing, just not quite as well. It has the horizontal flick speed of the Carbon Roller, but that's the only thing it has that's at that speed. It has the vertical flick range of the Dynamo Roller, except not really and the vertical flick is at Dynamo speed. It rolls at the same width and speed of the Splat Roller, but it has these awkward to use flicks and, frankly, a worse out than either of the Splat Rollers. There is no actual reason to use the weapon, which is a shame, as the weapon looks rather neat.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Where did you get that idea from? We aren't even a week into the month yet.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Except that it's going to be on Saturday the 14th.

Welp, that's one way to start the next page.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/929858936882151424
Curling bombs are good.

https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/929859597346545665
No, really, curling bombs are good.

https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/929860121626214400
Always watch where you're going.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

:geno: Maybe this and the other Flingza Roller will become good weapons next patch.

Hahahahahahahahaha... You weren't joking? The Flingza will never be good.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Splashdown is OP.
https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/933161078468493312?s=17

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Gimbal lock posted:

If by Splashdown is OP you mean vertical offsets and slants are OP, I agree.
I'm pretty sure that the game tests if you were protected from the blast by checking if there's cover between you and the point of impact. You had cover due to the corner between the ramp up and the flat top surface. You essentially ducked over the blast by being in squid form and just a tiny bit lower. It isn't reflected in how the paint distributes because it's distributed in a different way that tests differently (the paint is projected from the landing point's surface normal, plus some other rules).

I know how I survived, it was a joke, partially because at the time, it looked very much like I shouldn't have survived.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Tomorrow at 9 pm EST.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

H.P. Grenade posted:

If there's a clutchier, luckier Salmon Run final round, then I wanna see it too. :3:

https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/934616495023202304?s=17

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Feast your eyes upon the best charger in the world:

https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/934186711948521472?s=17

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

That was definitely the Eel blocking it both times.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

But in regards to Salmon Run, it's absolutely true. During my runs, it was the weapon I wanted the least, because it just feels bad to use. It can't crowd control at all, so you either have to pick approaching fish off one at a time, or run to the Dynamo or Splat Pro to help you, which means it's only really good at boss clearing, but it doesn't do enough damage to quickly clear bosses either, as well as being the second worst weapon in the set in regards to Stingers. At least Glowflies and Grillers aren't that hard with these weapons.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Sloshing Machine deals 150 damage per direct. Which basically means it's a bootleg Luna Blaster, only without any of its redeeming qualities.

My point about the damage still stands, because in order to maximize your damage, you have to mash ZR, while the Luna just fires automatically. It being worse than a charger for killing Stingers is the biggest thing, since Nintendo decided that the the splash damage from the Sloshing Machine's projectile can't effect the other segments, which is dumb. It's bad at being a Salmon Run bucket, and it's bad at being a Salmon Run blaster. It's a weapon with no clearly defined role, or anything it particularly excels at, in a mode where a weapon has to have a clearly defined role to actually be effective, and it's just about the only weapon in the game currently to have that problem. Even the Tenta Brella and Goo Tuber have clearly defined roles, the Sloshing Machine just feels like dead weight.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Tales from yesterday's Salmon Run: https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/935624180065644545?s=17

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

It's always great when one of your team mates realize you just saved them. https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/935692148560629760?s=17

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

That yellow thing is a sponge.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Just going to leave this here.

https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/941519533424107520?s=17

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

The difficulty of pushing out of spawn on Walleye has not changed since the first game. Specials don't factor into the equation at all, because if you're locked in spawn, you will never be able to charge your special to begin with. It doesn't matter if you have the Kraken or the Baller as your special if you never have it.

The Sting Ray problem is one that will probably never be easily fixed, because if they nerf it too much, it goes back to being worthless, and it only feels like such a problem (which it is) because the specials in this game are so much weaker than the specials in the first game. They could potentially cut the duration a bit, but the issue with that is that if they cut it too much, then the wide beam will never be usable.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I present to you, the drunk eel:

https://twitter.com/ZeGermanButler/status/944378952021188609?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Nope, for good reason.