Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

When is RIME out?

It's already out on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Phantasium posted:

Can't wait to buy Mario Odyssey in ghostly form.

gently caress that, give me analog amiibo and we'll talk.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The part of the FGC that organizes tournaments likes 4. It's easier to deal with and looks better and normal people play it.

Melee on the other hand involves sourcing CRTs and dealing with the same four prima donnas who win all the tournaments and need defective GameCube controllers

lol, there's a lot of spill over like M2K still playing Smash 4 and there was recently a Smash 4 player two sexually assaulted someone else in her bed while she was sleeping next to her boyfriend. The Smash 4 community hasn't had time to flourish into the gigantic turd that the Melee scene has, give it time.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Jesús. Just end competitive Smash

The FGC isn't that much better with people like Noel Brown who beat the poo poo out of girlfriend and I think he did it twice, he also got into a fist fight on stream with someone else. I'm sure there's more people like that but he's all I can recall right now.

Then again professional sports players aren't that much better, lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bef posted:

I wouldn't mind melee going away if PM wasn't killed off by Nintendo, since smash 4 plays so differently than the earlier iterations that people prefer one or the other

A moment of silence for the fallen.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zelder posted:

But yeah I don't think "here's a list of people who have committed crimes and also played videogames" is really a reflection on the community, unless their crimes were actively covered up by people in the community

True, it just seems like the filth in the Melee scene floats more to the surface and everyone latches onto that but there's just as much crap in the rest of the eSport scene. I don't think any dirt has been covered up but M2Ks fans were quick to defend him when the accusations of him jacking off in other people's beds came to light.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

tap my mountain posted:

Nah wavebirds are never used in tournaments because they get too much interference. It'd be hilarious if they did cause those are getting to be very expensive, I can't imagine trying to hunt down one that is broken in the way they want em to be.

Wavebirds also have noticeable input lag, either that or my friend's was hosed up.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'd rather have Smash 4 Deluxe with a bunch more stuff added than a Melee HD. I can't go back to a game that doesn't have King Dedede and Bayonetta.

Make Melee HD + and add all of the characters and stages from Smash 4. Boom, everyone's happy.

Though, I can't imagine how loving broken Bayonetta would be in Melee.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bef posted:

That's pretty much short hopping in a nutshell

Shorthopping is just letting go of jump during the jump squat animation.

Improbable Lobster posted:

They're using a non-standard controller to do a move that is impossible or nearly impossible to do with a standard controller that givers them an advantage over players that are using standard controllers.

Adapt; high level competition in eSports should come down to the limitations of the player and the game, not the limitations of an input method unsuited for high level play. The GameCube controller is pretty poo poo for where Melee stands, especially when you take into account the wide amount of production issues that make nearly all GC pads slightly different giving some a "natural" advantage over another.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Seeking oit rare hardware to gain an atypical advantage is not the same as standard variation in hardware prodiction.

Do you know that a properly functioning GameCube pad without a skewed analog stick is pretty rare?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A skewed analog stick doesn't give you a competitive advantage and no one has taken their ball and gone home because their stick wasn't hosed up.

I'm saying a normal analog stick gives you an advantage due to the notches, getting a stick that has true cardinal directions is rare because:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Aren't repros incredibly common? Even Nintendo did a run a couple years ago

Even the official repros are off via the factory manufacturing. Even the slightest offset will gently caress with a pro player's high level executions, and considering that this is Armada (world's best Melee player) who's has money, rep. and sponsorship on the line if he performs poorly, he can do whatever he wants when it comes to having his perfect controller.

Zoran posted:

So if some method of input is impossible on typical controllers but is doable on controllers that are defective in the correct way, and being able to do this special input allows you to perform tricks in the game that are not possible ordinarily, that's kosher? What if there were some useful trick performed by, say, being able to input opposite directions on the D-Pad at the same time, and in order to do that you'd need to physically break the D-Pad? Would that be something a community should endorse in order to enable this special trick?

If people find a way to execute it without using macros and 1:1 input then yes, gently caress it. The scene already endorses spring mods, notches and manufacturing defects and there's steps being taken to get the Smashbox and Memory Card Hax standardized as well which opens up the floodgates. The game is changing beyond using standard GameCube controller.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Nintendo's Mr Ishikawa drew art of the Splatoon invitational champion and Ribbon girl and they sent it to him as a surprise.

https://twitter.com/B33ZERK/status/885624609432780801

This thoroughly owns.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

I still want to play X since the way it looks reminds me of Phantasy Star Online.

Port PSO to the Switch.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Calaveron posted:

Why doesn't the eshop and or main switch menu have music

I.... have no good reason I can think of. I wonder why they didn't bother.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Evil Fluffy posted:

PSO2 might end up on the Switch.

Japan only

:smith:

I mean, doesn't matter since it's region free but what're the chances of having all of the text translated to English in-game out the box?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EpicNemesis posted:

The only reason I can think of is that they saw this mashup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYOEyzBFYa4 and realized it couldn't be topped and gave up.

Holy poo poo, loooool

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The mental gymnastics people are pulling to defend Nintendo's terrible and inconvenient voice chat "solution" are baffling.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

deadly_pudding posted:

:shrug: it's better than nothing, though?

I'm glad there's something, but this is indefensible. Not having voice chat just built into the system is dumb in the first place but requiring a secondary device that needs to be tethered to both you and the Switch is 100% terrible. Now you can't even multitask on the phone unless you want the voice chat to disconnect? Come on. I'm also glad that there's something, but just because there is doesn't make it good and people shouldn't defend it. Voice chat has been standardized for well over a decade and Nintendo's reinventing the wheel without reason.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why is the Switch plugged into the Voice in jack

So you can hear the game.

Also, I loaded up the app and you seemingly can't even have a general voice chat with your friends? You need to be in Splatoon? :psyboom:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I haven't followed along enough to even have an inkling of why they did it that way. As in; was it not at least as much work as doing it in a more normal way?

If anything it was more work setting this poo poo up since now you need an app tied to your accounts on your phone to access stuff.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bill Barber posted:

Couldn't you just buy it in the morning before you go do whatever it is that you're doing?

What if the only thing you're doing for the day is playing said game?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think Rare games are off the table. If Nintendo can work with Square and Konami for third party games on the other ones they can work with Microsoft.

Microsoft definitely won't let that fly. Have we even got any Rare titles (that aren't DK games) on any VC storefront?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Microsoft and Nintendo are more friendly than in the past and Nintendo has done some unprecedented things in these mini console releases. I believe. Microsoft even included the Nintendo Switch in their E3 presentation. They aren't going to develop sure being Minecraft for Nintendo systems but I absolutely think they would take some royalties and free promotion of their brands and free good press for zero work.

Microsoft's a strange case, but when it comes to Minecraft they don't give a gently caress and will put it on anything because it constantly makes money. They've started to bring their other IPs to PC but except their biggest with all major Halo releases are surprisingly missing. Who knows though, if an N64 mini had the Rare classics then it'd be pretty amazing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

acksplode posted:

I'm curious to see what an N64 classic does with the analog sticks. They could fix them, but is an N64 without lovely analog sticks that have huge dead zones an N64...?

If they can fix the sticks and keep the same "feel" to them, then it could work but if they feel off the 10 year old in my heart would know and be sad.

sigher fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 20, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Guy Goodbody posted:

The difference is that Splatoon 2 is a good game

This just in, all shooters except Splatoon are apparently bad.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wheany posted:

It's the Switch thread where people have never no taste

a.lo posted:

what consoles do you recommend

A computer like god intended. Or a PS4 to play Bloodborne which is the world's greatest game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bill Barber posted:

Why are you using a headset in your living room? Use your phone like a normal person.

I'm sure everyone will love to hear your game over the mic in that case.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bill Barber posted:

That's not how voice technology works these days.

How does it work because my S8 has no issue picking up game audio from my monitors.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You realize every iPhone 7/7+ comes with a headphone adaptor don't you?

I think the joke is that the picture in question isn't an iPhone 7/+ and it's using a standard jack.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mister Facetious posted:

Big Screen mode has been nothing but buggy loving glitch infested garbage, and it makes using a controller a loving pointless exercise in frustration.

I thought you didn't need to use Big Picture for Steam in-home streaming, unless that's the only option for the Steamlink then yikes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mister Facetious posted:

No, you misunderstand me; I'm saying they couldn't get that right (did it ever actually leave "beta"?) in the years it's existed, so don't expect them to get remote play right. Ever.

I haven't used Big Picture in a while but I remember it being a mess but remote play via Steam works perfectly fine.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rexroom posted:

Critically acclaimed murder mystery solve 'em up masquerade The Sexy Brutale is destined for the Switch, with first confirmation appearing in Japan. The release is scheduled to happen during Fall. There's also a PEGI registry entry in Europe, but no real release date as of yet.

The Sexy Brutale is really really drat good and everyone should get on the Switch (if you don't have it on PC yet) once it's out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Phantasium posted:

No, it's aggressively mediocre.

So it's a JRPG? :rimshot:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I too love traveling the world and wasting that time with video games.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

But look at all the times he was able to Share the Joy™ with people along the way

True.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Return of John Numbers!?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ventana posted:

From a friend who loved N64 rare games, it seems like it's a old Rare game with all the good and bad it entails. Fun writing, good music, some clever gameplay ideas, bad boss battles, levels can end up feeling like a chore. As long as you don't over-idolize the genre it'll probably end up being okay.

I'll second this, I love Rare's N64 era to death but I'll be the first to admit that they're not perfect (outside of the first Banjo-Kazooie) and Yooka-Laylee follows that perfectly. If you love the Banjo-Kazooie games you'll love YL but there are some parts that are kinda meh.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How do you do that? Just playing the Switch version? :rimshot:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

well why not posted:

Wii U is a bad purchase. they're not supported anywhere and any future Nintendo titles will not be on it. It's a dead console and has been for a year. it's fine to pick up if there's stuff you must have on there, but that doesn't seem the case.

I'm actually looking to sell mine, via eBay or SA-Mart, I never intend on getting a Wii U again but there's a lot of digital purchases on the console but I don't know how kosher it is to sell my account as well. Does anyone sell Wii U's with their accounts on them?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So the Switch is getting the Secret of Mana collection (in Japan anyway) but it's not getting the SoM remake? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think their Switch ports have been good

Wasn't the Isaac port janky in the beginning or am I thinking of the 3DS release (which was never fixed)?

• Locked thread