Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hype is reaching critical meltdown levels.

I need a countdown timer or something because I've been :f5: all day in the hopes that maybe now it's unlocked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

They should have just made Mario a girl

they could have named her.... Mariola

Marionkle

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

hm I got botw pretty recently so it puts me at a place where I'll be comparing SMO to botw in a semi less biased way as I haven't had to wait so long between playing the two

I'm kinda feeling that I'm going to end up enjoying botw more overall, it's so drat good. I'm sure mario will be great but gameplay and impressions videos do give me a sense of "zelda is still cooler," if that makes any sense at all

they're two completely different games

and they're both heckin' good :yeah:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Didn't they already make a Peach game

e: oh yeah, it was pretty cool

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, even just not having invisible walls everywhere is extraordinary in TYOOL 2017 and the fact that they put something in places like that is just :vince:

Doing that kinda stuff is a big reason why I love 3d platformers (I live to go OOB) and it's awesome to see it embraced.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the Nintendo Switch will make you breakfast in bed

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I don't even own a TV :smuggo:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Which two actions? Throw up and throw down?

That's weird, though I literally have never found a use for either.

Throwing the hat up, instantly throwing the hat down*, instantly doing the hat spin**, the homing attack, climbing/rolling/etc. faster, several transformation moves***, possibly a few other things

AFAIK none of it is required to complete the game or even get most(?) of the moons, but it means that a lot of going fast and cool tricks is impossible without motion controls and that kinda stuff is like 80% of the reason why 3D platformers are fun. It's a bizarre and garbage decision to have waggle-only moves in TYOOL 2017 especially when the entire draw of the Switch is that it works as a handheld, and even more so when there are a bunch of unused and mirrored buttons :sigh:

* Without motion controls you can only do this after a ground pound, so no mid-air throw
** Without motion controls you need to spin Mario first
*** Some can be done with Y+B
The game doesn't tell you any of this and the ingame control guide only mentions motion controls.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

what cool movement tricks are associated with the down hat throw or forward hat throw? I can't think of any.

The spinning hat is also only good for collecting coins or dealing with masses of enemies.

Not so much specific "tricks" as just being able to do things you can't do without motion controls. Grabbing onto things like the forks in Luncheon Kingdom or poles in New Donk City from places you couldn't otherwise, capturing enemies that are below/above you, that sort of thing. IIRC you can also extend your hat throw with motion controls which again opens up more possibilities. These things can be the difference between being able to pull off some crazy stuff or not being able to. v:shobon:v

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

As amazing and brilliant as Super Mario Odyssey is, it doesn't give me quite the same feeling of "holy poo poo how is it even possible for this game to exist" that BOTW did. It's "merely" the kind of brilliant design that I've come to expect from the 3D Mario developers.

I think that's fair, after all Odyssey is a much "safer" game that just does the tried and true formula extremely well (and also is charming and amazing and oh my god it's so good) while BotW was a big gamble that gave us something very fresh and very incredible.

The fact that in TYOOL 2017 we're getting the most amazing Zelda and Mario games ever is insane to think about though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They're very different games and I don't get people's obsession to compare them (and everything else)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What I think is the most amazing thing about BotW and SMO is that they're 30 year old franchises and both felt like they had lost some of their charm to me (15 years since a 3D Mario like 64/Sunshine, Zelda games getting pretty stale after WW) and then Nintendo just completely knocks it out of the park with both franchises in the same year.

and also the Switch is amazing which helps

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

the truth posted:

Did you not play Galaxy or Galaxy 2? 3D World was also surprisingly solid, but I know most people skipped WiiU.
I did not, my broken brain/eyes don't really allow for it and I get motion sick just thinking about the game. I did play 3D World and I think it's a good game, but it's not an exploration-based 3D platformer "collectathon" type game like 64 and Sunshine at all. It's a 2D Mario set in a 3D space, and that's very different. Heck, you even have a timer :(

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I like how Odyssey approaches its open world better than BotW to be honest, so I'd give it to Mario in this instance
Odyssey isn't open world at all though? :confused: It's level-based as heck.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zelder posted:

I thought the weirdest part was the implication that Mario 64 hasn't aged well. It's still worth playing to this day, I'd say it's aging better than most games

I think a good sign of this is the fact that Mario in Odyssey (20 years later) retains most of his movement and controls straight out of 64. Camera jankiness and N64 controller quality aside, it's crazy how well Mario 64 nailed 3D platformer movement on the first try.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm glad ya'll aren't in charge of sound design because the usage of music in BotW and Dark Souls is masterfully done and having an overworld theme blaring at all times would completely ruin those games.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ventana posted:

Plenty of games with big worlds do just fine with having good/strong overworld themes for years. You're free to disagree with other musical stylings, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to act like Botw and Dark Souls are the only good RPGs that did music right in gaming history, even when it comes to long explorative worlds.

Not at all, my entire point is that those specific games are doing their thing perfectly and changing it in those games would be for the worse. I didn't mean overworld themes in general, or anything else about the music in those or other games, just the sound design v:shobon:v

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

I'm up to New Donk City in Odyssey and I have to say the music is just alright so far, there are a few standout tracks but the rest I'd say is fine but not particularly memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKBjbjZfTiM

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
speaking of music has anyone done this dumbass joke yet
https://my.mixtape.moe/cdurtz.mp4

Ventana posted:

I get where you'd mix up my point (and I probably should've reworded it more specifically), but I still stand by those points even for these specific games. At least, for Botw, I don't think there's any reason they couldn't have gone for less spacious melodies. Dramatic and somber tones with more clear melodies have been done for a long time, even in big adventure-y games.
I think we're speaking past each other. My point was that I'm not talking about the songs or melodies at all, merely the usage of music in the game (hence why I specified sound design). My point isn't that the music is good (or bad) but that the way the music is used in game is excellent and it would be a detriment to the game(s) if there was blaring overworld music instead.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Also, I started playing Zelda a week ago and the beginning of Zora's Domain is really strange. I was really impressed with the game up until this point, but when I started approaching the Zora tower, it's like they suddenly gave into all their worse game design impulses and decided it was best to railroad players to the boss fight while some Zora guy follows along to pull you into random cutscenes

Even then you can still bypass the entire thing with some clever rock climbing :haw: There are no invisible walls or necessary triggers, heck, I didn't even know about the cutscenes until I saw someone else play through that section of the game!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

The dinosaur music in Mario Odyssey (also used in the trailer) is trying so hard to recapture Gusty Garden Galaxy, and like, nah, you can't do it. You can't top GGG for swelling adventurous orchestral music, forget it, go try something else.

If you mean the Cascade Kingdom music, it annoys me so much because the melody is so similar to Mabe Village from Link's Awakening and it keeps tripping me up :arghfist::saddowns:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nerdz posted:

Yeah, the studio responsible for the wario games (and the rhythm heaven ones) is easily the most creative in Nintendo. I wonder what they are working on right now.

Probably perfecting HD rumble farts

feel the vibrations

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

Anyway ya'll are bitching about motion controls but what if in BOTW you could make Link climb faster by shaking the controller. Ever think about that.

it would still be extremely awkward to do while playing handheld (aka. the proper way)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

edit: Bowser has uh... changed up his look a bit for his castle

:getin:

Easily the best castle he has ever had.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

alf_pogs posted:

3D world was the best 3D mario until very recently

3D world is a 2D mario not a 3D mario though :colbert:

speaking of, one thing I really wish they took from 3D world that would fit so perfectly with the suits and stuff is Bowser's theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-h55eVAJmM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWRMSn63yb0

:swoon:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ventana posted:

Like 99% of timers in Mario levels don't matter with how ridiculously high they usually are.

It's not so much the timers themselves but rather what they represent. 3D World is a pure platformer like the 2D games, while 64, Sunshine and now Odyssey are exploration-based. That's why they can't have a timer, because half the fun is dicking around and finding neat stuff.

That's also why I feel like you can't compare them, because ultimately they're different genres. 3D World is a 2D Mario in three dimensions, 64 etc. are 3D Marios. :shobon:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ventana posted:

In theory yeah, but when you actually start trying to explore the levels in 3D world (such as, when trying to get all the green stars), you find that the timers are still extremely generous enough that you have time to explore everything in the levels + an extra 100 in-game seconds. It completely shatters any illusion that the timers actually mean anything.

The REAL difference is in the level design, since usually 2D mario (and 3D land/world) levels are not very large and straightforward so there isn't that much to really explore, or what little of it you can do can be done very quickly. It's not the timer that makes any difference; it's the levels.

well yes, that was my entire point. :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was excited by Xenoblade 2 and then that excitement deflated completely when I saw the characters :( It's not even that it's anime, it's just extremely not my style and that makes me sad.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Cook posted:

Just wait until we find out that Metroid Prime 4 was the game From Software was working on this whole time.

I can't even joke about it because that would actually be a great fit

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Bayonetta is campy, it's balls to the walls ridiculous in every way

the XB2 titties are just the bad kind of anime

e: I basically just said the same thing already said but in a worse way didn't I

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 3, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I bought Binding of Isaac like some sort of idiot and now I wish I could refund it. What have they done to this game? :negative:

Inzombiac posted:

What's the price point where Yooka-Laylee is really worth it?

I loved all the Rare games, in spite of their jankiness.
Didn't see anyone answer this.

I think it depends on your tolerance for old collectathon platformers. A lot of the anger and complaints about the game is that it doesn't evolve the genre or improve upon it, it's basically just More Banjo Kazooie. I went in without the hype and I enjoyed the game for what it's worth, so if you just want to run around doing 3D platforming and collecting weird things with eyes then you'll probably enjoy it :shobon: Obviously it won't perfectly live up to the nostalgia of playing those games as a kid, but I thought it was an enjoyable game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Not Operator posted:

They added spawning portals and some items that are a lot like older times but not as good, and a worse version of greed mode and a boss that makes Hush feel fun.

But they made sacrifice rooms better so maybe it evens out.

I'm exaggerating, but I do hate portals, and having beaten each of them once, i can't see myself ever fighting Delerium or Ultra Greed again.
I used to love this game :smith:

Also who on earth thought it was a good idea to include so many guaranteed* damage rooms. A small room with 9 fatties on the second floor? Really?? I guess Edmund thought the game was too fair, because it looks like the bullshit has been ramped up a thousandfold.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

It is like someone released an HD version of an N64 game with exactly those design philosophies intact. They did a bunch of work to improve it from launch but its still exactly that at its heart even if now the camera isnt also the worst thing in existence.

I found it super boring and frustrating to play, but I also played the launch version and some complaints were addressed since then. Others like the incessant quiz bullshit remain

Oh yeah it's worth mentioning that I didn't play it at launch, I waited until the camera was fixed. I've seen how the camera used to work and it was bad, like bad bad. Keep in mind that a lot of the early reviews and reactions had to deal with that, which inevitably dragged the game down a lot.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Not Operator posted:

Try, or at least read about the Afterbirth+ challenge Aprils Fool, to get your fill of McMillen for life.
:geno:

Kvlt! posted:

This is a problem i have with Isaac as well, tho I am a new player. I'm ok with having to "git gud" but when there are rooms that are near impossible to avoid taking damage or dying it is frustrating.
I spent probably close to a thousand hours on the original flash game and Rebirth so I can tell you for certain that it has little to do with having to "git gud" and all to do with the design philosophy apparently being "it's more fun if it's random". It's a drat shame too, like I said I always loved BoI. I should've seen this coming because from the start BoI was very close to being fair (in other words, skill-based, a good enough player can go through the game unharmed) but with just about every patch they introduced more unfairness and RNG-reliability instead of fixing the stuff that could've made it a truly great game. It looks like they really cranked this up in Afterbirth (Afterbirth+?) :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is the NES/SNES mini the reason why Nintendo aren't doing Virtual Console anymore?

Because if so I hate them. It's 2018! I want to play my old games on a handheld! :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hammer Bro. posted:

What, other than lame item drops, do you feel is unfair about the game?

I still think it's possible to beat any run with what you're given, and sometimes the pickings are extremely thin. Though I'd hate to do Hush with basic tears. But part of the joy of the game is making do with what you're given, and occasionally being given the keys to the kingdom.

Rooms/enemies/bosses that cause unavoidable damage, for one. There are a lot of rooms in this game now which are simply impossible to not get hit in unless you've already gotten flight and/or some sort of ridiculous damage (which is extremely unlikely when those rooms show up on the first couple of floors). Call it a personal hangup but I think unavoidable damage or other unavoidable negative effects on the player is a cardinal sin of game design. There should always be a way for a skilled enough player to avoid that stuff instead of it being pure RNG.

It's not that I feel like the runs can't be won, I just don't like how it's balanced less by good difficulty (hard encounters requiring skill) and more by bad difficulty (guaranteed damage, RNG bullshit). Like I said I've played the games probably more than any other game (other than the Souls games probably) and it used to be that BoI was more or less always possible to beat with nothing but base Isaac with no upgrades if you played well enough. Items obviously made it easier, but the game was balanced in such a way that you could get very far on skill alone. Now there's so much up to RNG. It's more fast and loose, and I guess that's what they wanted the game to be.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was the worst contrarian as a kid so I hated every character that was designed to be cool, including Geno :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

What's the best way to progress in Isaac?

Just play, basically :shrug: There's a ton of unlockables, like defeating the different parts of the game with all the characters on each difficulty/game mode. Some of it is game-changing like giving the characters starting items or unlocking overpowered items, but others (unless this has been changed) are purely detrimental. Yeah you heard that right, BoI is a game that will get worse as you unlock certain things :v:

If a run is feeling too tedious, don't feel bad about resetting. The game is far more all-or-nothing than it has ever been, it used to be that you could get really far on absolutely nothing but now there are so many bullet sponge enemies and bosses that it just gets tedious and unfun if you don't have any (good) upgrades. There's nothing you can do to manipulate the RNG so if the game decides to screw you over, you'll get screwed over.

A few tricks to keep in mind to make the game easier is learning how and where to look for secret rooms, bombing mushrooms in the caves/catacombs if you got extra bombs (can drop one of my favorite items), bombing blue torches for soul hearts and not losing red health on the second floor to get the first guaranteed devil room.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If life gives you Soy Milk, cry.... a lot :qq:

Dizz posted:

Some items aren't really detrimental, but I'd say that they're not good either. The big downside though to unlocking more items though is diluting the item pool more and more with each unlock with items that may or may not synergize well.

Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth†: Some Items Aren't Really Detrimental

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah speaking of ridiculously bad poo poo in The Binding of Isaac: some of the curses.

I say that unavoidable damage is a sign of bad game design and a terrible way to increase difficulty, but literally the worst way to increase difficulty is to make the screen so dark you literally can't see what's going on. At least in the PC version I could crank up my monitor's gamma, on the Switch? Especially in handheld mode? gently caress you, sincerely Edmund McMillen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Eh, there really isn't unavoidable damage in Isaac. Once you get to a certain skill level, you start to view health as a currency. I'm not great at it, but my friends are on a whole different level with the game, and they're by no means pro-gamers. It gets much easier when you know what items do what. Isaac is like jazz, sometimes it's the items you don't take.

If only I had put another two thousand hours into BoI I too would be able to understand it like jazz

• Locked thread