Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Futaba Anzu posted:

when is new thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DalaranJ posted:

A physical button with digital output inherently has both a press event and a release event, yes. Calling it a half press is inaccurate, but it's a thing that exists.

E: FBI

TJ "Henry" Yoshi spotted ITT

re: melee players and broken controllers, I'd say "this game community requires an extremely exactly broken controller that's hard if not impossible to get your hands on" is a really good way to prevent literally anyone new from joining the scene and will effectively kill any life left in it

but this is the smash melee scene so the sooner it consumes itself and leaves nothing behind the better

e: I always forget and laugh when I rediscover it, but the top 4-8 players in just about every SSBM tournament has been static for almost a decade now

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 13, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Evil Fluffy posted:

When you have a pro go "oh my busted controller isn't busted properly, I withdraw" that's when you as an organizer really need to ask yourself if it's worth hosting tournaments for a game whose 'best' players rely on an outright hardware advantage.

The SSBM competitive oroborous just continues to grow smaller and more self-contained while still somehow containing the same overall volume of drama and toxicity as any other competitive game, which means either 1. the tournament runner doesn't want to deal with the death threats of not having SSBM at their tournament, or 2. they're one of the SSBM enthusiasts who would never dream of removing SSBM from said tournament.

that said I'm pretty sure most "Tournaments with SSBM" are SSBM ONLY, NO SEQUELS, FINAL DESTINATION at this point anyways so

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Anidav posted:

Look at all those Vita games coming to Switch :nyoron:

obviously they wanted to be on the switch all along, they just got misled by the lookalike :colbert:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

japtor posted:

It's more for keeping them together in transport and/or a much more portable grip thing if anyone else wants to use it...I never really used the grip myself.

:same:

It's useful by itself as a joyconn transportation deal, but having them locked together like that so close to each other feels bad as hell even with the grips

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I hope they port Furi and Hyper Light Drifter over

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

this isn't Switch related but the newest Wii U update indicates they're shutting down Miiverse.

Now that spla2n has one built-in, what would you use it for anymore anyways :v:

Dizz posted:

I'm kinda amazed that free to play games haven't tried getting on consoles.

I don't know what it's like now, but if it's still like it was a couple years ago, getting games onto a console is literally exponentially more expensive than it is to get one on Steam or iOS/Android, even for pure digital releases.

And that's before any per-console restrictions on/cuts of in-app purchases.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 18, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I was totally wrong about reviewers knocking off points for Nintendo's weird online apps. It appears the majority just did not care at all and didn't take that into account. I'm surprised, because honestly I probably would have.

I assume most of them ignored it or forgot about it because it's so far outside of the "normal" ecosystem and I don't know how much Nintendo has really been advertising it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zelder posted:

I just assumed you were a rogue pirated shitposting ai

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Was Setsuna bad? I totally forgot about it until I saw it was a Switch release game.

The way it was described to me was "If you liked chrono trigger for the gameplay and didn't care at all about the plot, you'll enjoy IAS". Which was enough to convince me to not buy it ever. Reading TDI's LP of it is on my to do list, just...really low on it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zore posted:

I thought goons always dressed as depressed alcoholics. :confused:

that's the excuse I use, yeah

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I would imagine one of those USB 3.0 Type-C dongles. But I wouldn't know what's compatible.

Nothing yet, all of the current C-to-C+A+HDMI dongles make the switch pop up an "unsupported accessory" message and it won't even charge from it. That dockless for-the-switch dongle might work if you plug it in and just skip plugging the hdmi in, maybe, whenever it actually comes out.

e: otoh the switch in a dock without an hdmi plug is just a black screen so you might just be SOL

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 26, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

jetpackhewy posted:

This. Danny B.'s music is the best compliment for Super Meat Boy's platforming. It's sad that they replaced it with something that can't even come close.

Did Nicalis just refuse to cut him some cash for his soundtracks on new platforms or something? The OG Binding of Isaac had a Danny B soundtrack that they replaced with 90% crap and "wet ambient cave noise", too.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Modus Pwnens posted:

I wish I had enough free time to think that the Switch has too few games.

same, not that that's stopped me from accidentally losing more hours than i care to admit in disgaea now

mario xcom and fire emblem are going to ruin me :negative:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Manticore posted:

I've seen fixes for the d-pad that involve opening the controller up and putting scotch tape over parts of the contacts or inserting small bits of cardboard under the center pivot, so I think it's just poorly designed!

:agreed:

I've owned and used controllers since the OG NES and I've had bad dpads or dpads that just feel poo poo, but the pro controller is the first one that's had a D-Pad where I can push right and get an up input. I'm open to the idea that I hit the buttons different than other people, but the above plus hearing some people having the opposite "down" problem really screams poo poo manufacturing QA to me more than anything.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I grew up with sonic on the game gear so i think it's really neat. :shobon:

I enjoyed Sonic on the game gear on the 3ds

I laughed hard when I found that they had an option to enable that good old "you can't see anything that's going on" Game Gear visual blur mode tho, now they just have to give us a battery pack for the 3ds that takes 6 AAs for that authentic retro experience

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, I thought when 3DS came out, it would be a platformer renaissance with the 3D, but that really didn't end up happening. Switch is positively drowning in them. I watched my friend play some GoNNER and I would have bought it had I not immediately be abanonding it as soon as Mania comes out.

The fact that a glut of indie games is hitting the first nintendo console without a platform-mandated-you-must-use-it gimmick since the Gamecube probably isn't a coincidence.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Detective No. 27 posted:

I mean, all Switch games have the platform-mandated-you-must-use-it gimmick, it just happens to be one everyone loves.

Right, but it's also one that appears to either be easy to bake in or at least has some sort of sane default that you can let the hardware deal with automatically, unlike dual screen/touch screen/motion control.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Turtlicious posted:

If I love anime, Fire Emblem, Persona, and Final Fantasy Tactics, will I like Disgaea?

There are things that I'm finding irritating, but overall as a FE/FT fan I'm enjoying it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Not only did they get the blue spheres levels from S3, they grabbed ones from the Sonic 1 & Knuckles combo :allears:

e: And the secondary sound for the green slime in Chemical Plant 2 is the electrified ground sound from Wacky Workbench :allears:

This is going to be 12 straight levels of nostalgia trip, isn't it

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 15, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

dog nougat posted:

If you either collect all the rings or blue spheres it gives you some sort of token. I think it immediately took me to the level boss. Not sure though, since I've only been able to complete 1 of em

Nah, the tokens unlock stuff like the up+jump dash from Sonic CD or the double jump shield from S3+K. But either the unlocking is bugged, or it doesn't become actually available until you've beaten the game, because the extras menu is still all ????? for me.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
If anyone, like me, is better at the blue sphere bonus stages than the actual secret stages, debug mode is pretty great :getin:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Having a boss fight be a Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine duel was loving amazing.

:agreed:

Everything in this game is pretty great so far, every little "Hah, I recognize that mechanic" bit I come across gives me nostalgia fuzzies :3:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
lmfao

I finished mania and got the handful of remaining gold medals just to see what the reward was

the sonic 1 and knuckles blue spheres forever, of course

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Motto posted:

I've always found genesis sonic real easy to control so idk.

I grew up with it but I can absolutely see why it'd piss people off if they're used to mario-style precision platforming. Sonic is basically "run, roll, miss everything" or "incrementally inch your way through levels, curse when a hidden spring throws you past the thing you want to get/see the thing at the top of a ramp but you can't get enough momentum to get back up there and now you can't backtrack for it" on any first playthrough.

Which is basically why knuckles and tails exist, now that I think about it, but who plays the non-title characters first?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

rogue wave posted:

Wonderboy looks like a terrific example of diff characters with diff attack styles and considering the retro mode and modern painted mode has all kinds of replay ability from what I can tell.

It really doesn't. It's more a metroidvania both in "there's one meant for any given situation" and "you unlock them incrementally over time". It's not bad per se, and the art style is great, but if it weren't for the art it'd be a $25 game gear-era virtual console entry.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Frankston posted:

I can't believe Troll and I even got the greenlight to be released. It's broken as gently caress.

Personally I'm stunned that Mania released in a state where it takes 10-15 seconds to go to sleep from the quick menu. That used to be the kind of TRC violation that literally every console manufacturer would instantly fail you for.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Something I can't believe I haven't tried yet, in Sonic and Tails mode does the second controller control tails?

I'd be stunned if it didn't, but they do go out of their way to allow them both to be controlled by P1.

Which I wish I had known before I cleared Sonic solo but OH WELL

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

parasyte posted:

I think the Anker USBC power bank only works via USBC if you hard power off and then power on the Switch while the USBC cable is connected to both or something.

I've never had an issue with mine, it's literally just plug in and go. The only think with the Anker is that you need to hit the button on it before you plug a C-to-C cord into it or it'll think it's supposed to be drawing power to charge itself, but that's the case with anything USBC and it's pretty clearly stated in the directions that come with it. And if you have a good A-to-C cord it's a non-issue, but those cords are the ones that needed a Google guy to sit down and test to see which ones were "good" or not so I try to avoid them just in general.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I was playing splatoon 2 just fine with a usb ethernet adapter, but now it's unable to connect and my computer can't use it either, any suggestions on a new adapter or a fix for my old one?

Are you using the same ethernet cord when you're checking? And/or the same port on your router?

Also,

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you tried turning the router off and on first?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Has anyone pledged to the GripCase Kickstarter? I've been thinking about it because I do see myself taking out the Switch more and more in the near future. Grip alternatives?

quote:

Based on our past experience, we anticipate being able to fulfill orders within 6-8 weeks, but we should note that forecasting demand is an inexact science. If order volumes exceed our expectations, it might take slightly longer to fulfill orders.

quote:

$89,056 pledged of $11,894 goal

I don't know about "near" future...

Honestly I think it looks interesting but the amount of volume it adds and the explicit "our massive rear end carrying case will probably be the only thing that can handle the grips" means I'm likely going to pass, since that kind of defeats the point of it being portable :vv:

Also:
1. It's a single piece of rubber that covers the shoulder buttons, which already sounds pretty :nallears: to me
2. They claim it's thin enough to stick in the dock with the case on, but given that there was already scratching issues without extra bulk I can't help but think that's going to exacerbate the issue even for people who didn't have issues previously
3. I'd be a little worried about something that adds insulation to the back of a console that already runs a little on the hot side in the dock

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

XyrlocShammypants posted:

You have but you choose not to notice it I guess. Literally every player has seen delayed splats, too many or too few hits and objectives captured or not captured in error multiple times a day.

If nintendo's smart they're probably sticking people with similar latency in the same games with each other.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Lodin posted:

Bethesda is showing off playable Skyrim there. Looks pretty good but I could never play that instead of the modded PC version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHb5ElEXYCA

lmao at playing an unmodded copy of a bethesda open world game on the same platform as botw, which apparently knew what a QA department is for

e: it was always great looking up something for oblivion/skyrim on a wiki and the footnotes were like "known bugs: if X happens this quest may be unfinishable, on PC run this console command to set the quest state to the next step, and if you're on a console then start a new game, sorry bro"

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 23, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GreatGreen posted:

That increased durability will mean you'll lose track of it easier, so now when it breaks/goes dormant/ becomes unusable at the worst possible moment, you won't even be expecting it.

CLICK HERE to see ONE TRICK a CROSSDRESSING WARRIOR found to USE HIS SWORD FOREVER! DEKU TREES HATE HIM

Step 1: stop using it when it says it's almost out of power
Step 2: plug it back into the pedastal and warp to a sword trial, then leave
Step 3: use your sword until step 1 again

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm assuming it's legit and either "stockboy taking a picture of the shelf he just filled" or "walmart in the middle of nowhere". e: or it's not out yet :downs:

Mine had 6-8 switches for quite awhile and I thought Nintendo had solved to stock issue. Nope, turns out they just had bad online inventory tracking and claimed to have 0 online. Every other store in a 50 mile radius was still legitimately sold out. Whoops.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 24, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Especially when being on the switch apparently means the $20 game would spike to $30 if they went physical

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zore posted:

This looks waaaaaaay more in-depth than I was expecting.

:psyduck:

:stare:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is the DLC going to give you a "see completion % that excludes goddamn seeds" or no? Because I'd love to see how my non-seed completion is since those seeds tanked it completely.

It's not just seeds, every named area on the map counts towards % as well. Someone in the BotW thread said they were going to grind out all the seeds against all advice to the contrary, got to 94% or so at 900 seeds, and afaik hasn't posted in that thread since.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

GoldfishStew posted:

You know, having never played XCOM, I may just misunderstand what this game type is. I dunno. I like online shooters to jam on with pals. Thank god for Splatoon.

XCom isn't a shooter, it's a turn based isometric tactical RPG, like final fantasy tactics or disgaea

e: I mean I think someone tried or talked about doing a FPS xcom but iirc it either didn't happen or was poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I probably couldn't have imagined a lot of other things but that's neither here nor there

Someone came up with the idea that the world was actually supposed to end in 2012 and now we're in the post-game procedurally generated timeline because whoever was playing clicked "I'm not done yet, just a few more turns" and I'm finding it harder to argue with as time goes on

The alternative argument is that with infinite universes and so many ways for us to accidentally kill ourselves off as a species, it stands to reason that we'll keep getting weirder and weirder events because by definition we're still in one of the timelines that managed to not off ourselves yet against all odds

What I'm saying is Mario+Rabbids releasing and being good was actually inevitable

• Locked thread