Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
OP is pretty good, but maybe neglected to mention that other controllers can work on the switch? (like the pokken controllers) May be more relevant as more games come out but might be worth considering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'll add that.

You can actually even use Xbox and PlayStation controllers. Your can use basically anything. The only caveat being their analog sticks read as digital

Is that natively or is that with an adapter? It'd save me some money if I could just use my DS4 instead of buying a Switch pro controller

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

angel opportunity posted:

I really don't know what kind of balance changes Nintendo might do, but right now the fact that you gain super meter on whiffed punches is seeming like a big problem

This is overall a good post, but I wanted to focus on this bit. It certainly could be a big problem as it is in some other fighting games, but at the same time I can kinda sorta see why a dev might think it'd be okay in Arms. In other fighting games, if you whiff a normal at a distance then the opponent has to commit to something to punish it (either do a special move, or just to close in space). In Arms though, the general gameplay is already combat at a distance, so while it still takes a commitment it's more straightforward to do something about it.

There are of course lots of details that go into balancing out this sort of scenario (is the concept of whiffing attacks only going to promote wild punch spamming, are there suitable counters and punishes for that, etc), but at the least I can see a logic behind why they thought this might be an okay idea.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Norns posted:

When does botw chug now?

It still chugs in docked mode when you go into the really dense parts with grass and trees (primarily Lost Woods) and when poo poo is going crazy with explosions + lots of enemies. It can still chug in a bunch of places, though it's less than it used to be. Undocked is basically fine.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Golden Goat posted:

How long did it take another Metroid to come out after Other M?

6 years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid_Prime:_Federation_Force

angel opportunity posted:

As for the meter building on whiff: there's a few problems specific to this game, mostly because rush attacks are REALLY good. Some stages that are larger do allow you to whiff really hard just to build meter. I heard

I didn't mention it in my post, but yeah I do agree with you on this take about rush attacks and how the game is. I just wanted to point out that I think, in theory, a game like Arms could balance around building meter on whiff. And yeah I agree that the new patch points to the devs going in the right direction, though we don't know yet how far they'll go if something is fundamentally broken.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

spit on my clit posted:

I'm tired of Melee, because its been the same thing for the past few years, but smash 4 should be at least treated better by the FGC. melee is always the main event for some reason, and I just don't get why it still is.

Fwiw Evo is giving Smash 4 the sunday slot, which is usually considered the better slot for finals.

I think part of it is that when Melee came back to the FGC only for Melee, the FGC wasn't really expecting Smash 4 to actually become as or more popular. That's why last years Evo put Melee on the sunday slot and Smash 4 on saturday even though Smash 4 had the larger numbers. They corrected it this year and we'll see how it is.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Melee on the other hand involves sourcing CRTs and dealing with the same four prima donnas who win all the tournaments and need defective GameCube controllers

Let's not forget that Zero dominated Smash 4 for the first year or so. I haven't watched Smash 4 in a while but I assume MK Leo has it this year.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

enojy posted:

I think Melee is finally dying. It had less entrants than Smash 4 this year at CEO, and top 8 wasn't even on the last day.

CEO and genesis had lower turnouts, but most other Smash majors I looked up had about the same or more entrants. Plus you can't really say this and not ignore the general FGC numbers also being lower compared to last years too.

s.i.r.e. posted:

True, it just seems like the filth in the Melee scene floats more to the surface and everyone latches onto that but there's just as much crap in the rest of the eSport scene. I don't think any dirt has been covered up but M2Ks fans were quick to defend him when the accusations of him jacking off in other people's beds came to light.

The fact that the entire FGC has not forever exiled Marn who is actively terrible is worse to me imo

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zaphod42 posted:

I've been saying fighting games need campaigns but the people who really like fighting games don't want that at all, so :shrug:

Competitive players don't care about the story, all they need is training mode. That's not to say we don't want story mode, it's just that it's a non-factor.

Improbable Lobster posted:

MK9 and X as well as SFV's story modes were pretty well received.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Was SFV's? I thought it was awful.

Yeah no SFV's story mode sucks. It's got nothing on NRS story modes which are pretty good.

Brother Entropy posted:

e: nrs games have story, arcsys games have story, tekken has story, even indie poo poo like skullgirls have story. idk who these companies who don't care about single-player content are

Mostly capcom, which even they are trying to put more story into MVCI.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Improbable Lobster posted:

I just said it was well received.

This just sounds like an anecdotal point. Pretty much all I've heard is that the SF5 story mode sucks, and in trying to look up other reactions all I can find are a couple of articles that are at best mixed. If disappointing but not godawful sounds like "well received" to you, then sure I guess?

The point is barely worth arguing because Capcom didn't have it at launch and it upset a lot of people. This is what they are fixing for MVCI from what it looks like.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Ostentatious posted:

i cant believe best buy got so good so quickly wrt video games it feels like they were just on the verge of bankruptcy

Tbf the bar for video games in retail is very low

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Guy Goodbody posted:

I regret paying full price for Cave Story

I don't

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Anidav posted:

I think the tier list is basically
Cobra
Ninjara
Ribbon Girl
Minmin
Max
Mechanica
Spring Man
Byte and Barq
Twintelle
Helix
Master Mummy

The top 3 are definitely correct IMHO. Nintendo's online gives dodge grab gameplay extreme priority. I know the game tells you that you can punch away grabs but online that is not the case at all. Maybe a patch will fix it or else the game will just die a quick death when it really shouldn't.

Not that I disagree with any of this, but the game was confirmed to be in EVO Japan so I imagine the game will probably live till that's over.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

TFRazorsaw posted:

How is USF2 as a port anyway? Is it decent at least?
This review is the best thing I could find that lists the changes and modes and gives the game as fair of a take you can get.

In short, there are some things that make the game better than HDR, but it's also missing some things from HDR as well.

General Negatives:
1. No GGPO/rollback, so online experience is going to be variable, and thus probably poo poo.
2. No Classic Mode to go back to ST balance-gameplay, so you're stuck with these newer changes.
3. The new modes all kinda suck.
4. Akuma/Evil Ryu/Violent Ken are super broken in an unfun way.

General Postives:
1. Training mode is pretty solid. Not super super great, but probably the best training mode you'll get for SF2 so far.
2. Input changes/leniency for the characters should make them easier to mess around with if you're not a veteran player. Nice if you want to try Dhalsim/Cammy imo.
3. Old sprites/background options exist. Nice because the old ones are way better.
4. Color editor so you can make your own palletes, though only 1 of them can be used in-game at a time.

If you want a console version of SF2 just for fun, then it's not a *terrible* product but there still might be issues. Most of the community isn't going to play this, and the online not being good means you won't find too many other matches in the first place. If you care at all about actually learning to play SF2 competitively, then you probably aren't going to look at this version at all.

Bill Barber posted:

Serious question has there ever been a Nintendo developed game where you could actually set the controls yourself, not just swap between two different versions?

Brawl, maybe Smash 4 but I never bothered there

Takoluka posted:

My FGC friends and acquaintances are super spergy about frame data, balance updates, and tech changes, with some very huge biases caused by nostalgia goggles and how they feel things *should* be in games they play. If you're looking for some SF2 fun, you'll probably like it. If you want to get competitive and start looking into meta, it will exhaust you, and you will probably hate it.

It's not just nostalgia. In some cases, older fighting games really are just plain better than new releases, right down to the way the games feel. You can disagree with those guys and prefer some modern approaches (comparing Throw teching systems is relevant here), but they aren't just saying that because "nostalgia goggles", they're saying it because the older games really did things better.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 28, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

whaley posted:

Does Capcom refuse to acknowledge the existence of Street Fighter 3 or what

Well, they did do a ggpo release of sf3 back in 2011. But as for why they focus on SF2, well, that's because 1. SF3 wasn't as popular and 2. SF2 is kind of one of the most well known and important fighting games ever

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Real hurthling! posted:

they absolutely refuse to admit they were wrong about how fast it should play and its sad

I mean yeah, but they've been trying to slow down SF2 since Super. I guess they're a little consistent about it?

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So who all is super pumped for the new Mario Rabbids game?

Everything about the gameplay makes me want to try it. Everything about the rabbids makes me not want to try it.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dizz posted:

what's gonna be the first bad game for the switch?

Breath of the wild obv

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tender Bender posted:

I made a point of doing as many side quests as I could, using a wiki to ensure I did any missable stuff, and basically doing everything except superbosses, and it definitely wasn't worth it and made the game a worse experience for me.

Weird, I actually had the opposite experience. I wasn't really a fan of Xenoblade's story or combat system, but doing all the sidequests let me enjoy and explore and see all of the level designs and areas, which was by far the best thing about the game. The only time things got unfun was when it came to superbosses, and that's only cause of grinding necessary to touch them.

It'd help to know that there's only 1 area with real missable sidequests that you have to look for. Most other sidequests aren't missable (or are actually just alternate choice sidequests).

Ventana fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 2, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Turtlicious posted:

Is there ever going to be a smash game for the switch?

Probably, we just don't know when or what. A lot of people think Smash 4 port, but there hasn't really been any significant Smash ports/re-releases outside of 1 VC release, and it may be people clinging to old rumors. As far as Sakurai's patterns go, he seemed to be doing 1 Smash game -> 1 Non-Smash game or 2 -> Smash game after Melee, so maybe he'd first come out with something else.

It is worth noting that Sakurai doesn't think he'll work on the new one. Normally this kind of statement doesn't mean much, but Sakurai still had that injury of his for a while so it may not be an act.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Which Kirby? Spinoffs like Epic Yarn and the clay one often come out early.

The only spinoffs that came out early were Canvas Curse and (if it counts) Nightmare in Dreamland. All the other spinoffs came out years after their console came out.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Manky posted:

That and the two Wii U titles to already get "DX" Switch ports (Mario Kart, Pokken)

That's not really meaningful evidence though. Unless you think Nintendo is going to port over every single Wii U title. All it really means is that any Wii U port isn't off the table, not evidence that they will do any specific [insert game here] port.

Tender Bender posted:

We were spoiled by Melee being basically a launch game and every Smash game will have that hanging over their heads for all time.

That and the Wii showing off a Brawl trailer back in 2006. They also told consumers that Smash 4 was in development before the Wii U came out, though it wasn't officially announced until 2013. They at least told people that a Smash was on the way, though that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

well why not posted:

what's the line I can use so my GF doesn't think i'm a sexpest for playing bayonetta when she's home?

That it's being campy for fun, not actually trying to give you a boner. And the meat of the game is a fun action game, not something to give you a boner.

There's a difference between Bayonetta and this:

Lodin posted:

Switch really is the new Vita.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is "tabletop mode" something that people actually do outside of promotional trailers

I don't do it myself, but one of my friends said he uses it all the time when he brings the switch over to his friends and they play something. Apparently it's more stable on the little stand than it feels (which that thing feels very unstable imo).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The same lead guy that also lead Other M which this thread hates, but yeah.

He was a producer on a lot of Nintendo games, including the Metroid Prime series and DKC: Tropical Freeze.

Even if I don't like some of the games he's helped produce, I can't complain that any of them felt unfinished or unpolished.

VVVVVVV Also that, though this guy produced Sticker Star and Color Splash so I'm still not keen on him

Ventana fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 8, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DalaranJ posted:

A metroid where all the NPCs you talk to are metroids.

Electric Phantasm posted:

This would be good actually.

Toads are boring. Metroids are cool.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

lelandjs posted:

The real question for me is if the titles are going to keep coming or not. It's great that they've frontloaded the console, but what major Nintendo properties haven't been announced yet? All I can think of is Paper Mario, Mario Golf, and F-Zero.

Star Fox
Rhythm Heaven
Every Other Mario Sports game
Pikmin
Mario and Luigi switch game
Donkey Kong
Actual New Mario Kart
Probably another Zelda down the line
Maybe Another Kid Icarus game
Sequels to whatever series have already been out.

There are a lot of series's and things Nintendo can pull from. We don't know how well Switch will eventually sell, but I don't think we can really doubt that Nintendo can and probably will put out a bunch of games on it*.

*Just because you don't care about other games doesn't mean they don't count, either

lelandjs posted:

Also two of the biggest third party Nintendo exclusive series (Layton and Etrian) are pretty reliant on the touchscreen

Switch has a touchscreen.....

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

lelandjs posted:

But fair point with the list of franchises I'd couldn't think of at the time of my post. Man I would love to have an HD Kid Icarus game (with honest-to-goodness camera controls for the ground sections) on the Switch, but between Project Sora shutting down and Sakurai having to deal with his shoulder problems I'm not expecting one.

Imo, I was mostly expecting any other Kid Icarus game to be something different. Sakurai on KI:U should've shown Nintendo you can pull any old franchise and if you can put in enough good and new designs in it, you can make a success.

The Bloop posted:

What even would be the point? I feel like we are simply past this point for the time being. Until and unless some new generation makes a huge leap in power, to 4K or whatever, MK8 seems good enough, just like smash.

Release mote packs of tracks, karts, and characters, even modes, to add value to MK8DX but why reinvent the core mechanics again? I'm not sure I'd care enough to own 2x MK on the same system

You know that Nintendo has many times released sequels on the same systems, right? Metroid Prime 1/2, M&L Partners in Time vs Bowsers inside story on DS or Dream Team vs Paper Jam and Superstar Saga on 3DS, DKC games on the SNES if you count old Rare, Pokemon Games frequently, Fire Emblem games frequently, 2 Advance Wars games on both the GBA and DS, Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, etc. Sequels in franchises can happen regardless of generation differences.

If you personally would be satisfied with no other MK games..then sure? But I'm not listing off my own preferences for sequels, just potential things Nintendo could do based on their history.

If you want a better comparison, I would liken it to something like Twilight Princess on Wii or Breath of the Wild on Switch. Those games were made for the previous generations and were ports on newer systems. I would expect that maybe in 4-5 years or so near the end of the Switch that they'd come out with another game that was built ground up for the console.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zelder posted:

What if I told you... Nintendo could make new franchises and new games.

Fake news! Nintendo doesn't make any new games, but in fact just remakes the same 2 games over and over and over.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The Bloop posted:

I mean, yeah, but those games are actually, like, new. MK is MK. The jumps have pretty much exclusively been generational power advances and MK8DX seems pretty well topped out for what the Switch is likely capable of. It's not like there was a MK sequel on the same system.

It just doesn't seem like it would be enough of a change to generate enough sales to be worth the effort for a mainline AAA game like MK

1st off, I don't see how the pokemon generations count as new? On DS and 3DS, they each got 1 new generation that advanced mostly through technology, and another generation that advanced mostly through mechanics. On top of other examples I could bring up, you really just seem to be trying to make MK into some special franchise when it's...not.

But I think the main thing I disagree with that you keep saying is that you think MK8 has topped the Switch's power for the console. The console is very new, and I have no doubt that we will be seeing the Switch have more and more better looking games in time as is the trend for most Nintendo consoles. If you can't accept that developers could eventually put out better results from the Switch's design for the next 4-5 years, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'd also disagree that a new MK that didn't advance technology enough wouldn't sell. Again, pokemon gens 5 and 7 would be a go to example for that.

Bill Barber posted:

Absolutely none of those games are anything like Mario Kart. They're all single player games with an arching story. It's kind of dumb to use them as an argument for another Mario Kart.

The more proper comparison would be something like Smash, which has never seen multiple releases in a single generation.

Mario Party? Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (published by Nintendo, made by Sega)? I don't think being Multiplayer focused is a special qualifier at all.

I mean, we could just compare racing games themselves. Fzero had multiple GBA releases, and Excitetruck/Excitebots on the Wii.

I get the point of not rushing multiple generations of a franchise onto the same console generation. I just disagree that a port/remake of an older generation game necessarily prohibits an eventual sequel. Ocarina of Time's 3DS remake didn't stop A Link Between Worlds, Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD didn't stop Breath of the Wild development. Those are different teams yes, but team division and workload is a different argument than this stuff about generations.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Policenaut posted:

PS Vita launched with an Uncharted game, a Wipeout and a Hot Shots Golf game that were so good that they became the new standard for their franchises (they're just now replacing Hot Shots on PS4), the best new Lumines game since 2, a new Super StarDust game, portable definitive versions of Rayman Origins and Ultimate Marvel 3 (that was also feature definitive until the recent PC port), the best version of Virtua Tennis 4, and I really liked that Shinobido 2. Dreamcast had an insane lineup with stuff like Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Power Stone, NFL 2K, and House of the Dead 2. PS4 got by with definitive console versions of stuff like Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, NBA 2K, and Resogun is still a very good game.

Out of like the past 5 or 6 consoles I've bought I'd say the only one that didn't have a very good/decent launch lineup was Wii U.

That UMVC3 statement is misleading as gently caress. If you like playing a fighting game with crappy controls and on a system that is not good at all for local play (a big deal for fighting games) then sure it's okay. But in truth, Vita is not a good system for fighting games and the modes it has aren't very good nor make up for that fact.

To be honest, that Vita and PS4 lineup is still pretty weak since everything is a port and not very exciting. Botw is a port as well though at least it was a simultaneous port unlike the other examples there, and is the much better game.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

zenintrude posted:

Uncharted: Golden Abyss not a port... pretty sure neither was Hot Shots or Wipeout. Sequels sure but not ports.

Those are counted in the "not very exciting" part of my post.

Real hurthling! posted:

Lol

And then to say the switch isnt mostly ports with mario kart, a nearly identical splatoon, pokken, etc.

You blind, fool.

I didn't say I liked the Switch's lineup outside of Botw though?

Last good Launch lineup is Dreamcast, and even then it was only okay. No console launch is ever going to be super astounding and people shouldn't buy consoles on a silly qualifier.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Cartoon Man posted:

Yooka Laylee good or bad? I liked Banjo Kazooie (20?) years ago, but I'm not sure I'd like it now...I feel like I may have grown out of the genre. I am excited about the new mario, but that's because it looks insanely awesome.

From a friend who loved N64 rare games, it seems like it's a old Rare game with all the good and bad it entails. Fun writing, good music, some clever gameplay ideas, bad boss battles, levels can end up feeling like a chore. As long as you don't over-idolize the genre it'll probably end up being okay.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why is rubber banding in a single player racing game such a bad thing? It keeps the challenge interesting imo.

Rubber banding isn't bad, but there can be too much of it. You want to keep up the illusion of a close race, but not overly break the illusion that computers are cheating (even though they usually have to).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I never play docked so the pro controller is useless hth

:same:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Nolgthorn posted:

How do gamers play so many games.

I bought a Switch and Zelda like most people, I have to this day barely made it to that town in the upper right corner of the map. Like the entire map is still untouched. I bought Arms and before I could get anywhere in it, I bought Splatoon 2.

Now in a week that Rabbids game is going to drop. After I finish not getting anywhere in that I'm sure there will be another game I want to play. There is not enough time to play games. I still haven't beaten a link between worlds on 3ds.

But I come online and people are complaining about not enough games to play. I just have a Switch and it's plenty man.

I understand what you mean. I could play the same game for at least 3 months before I'm fully finished with it, and then I'll turn to see people are done with a game not even 2 weeks later.

In my view, you'd just need to realize that a bunch of other people don't have the same playing preferences that you might have. A lot of other players have more free time in a week, but maybe you don't. Some other players like to play multiple things simultaneously, but maybe you like to focus on 1 thing for a while.

So buy and play games to fit your own pace; nothing wrong with waiting till later to buy/play it. There are multiple Switch games I still haven't bought because I already know I can't put in the time/interest into it, but may get to later on. The people who buy new games all the time and still complain just have different lifestyles, so I wouldn't give them much attention. If the Switch's schedule works fine for you, then just scroll past those complaints.

edit: Alternative argument, people who complain "there aren't enough games" really mean "there aren't enough games that I like/want." And that's a completely different and subjective issue.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 13, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tender Bender posted:

Anyone notice their joysticks getting a rough feel to them, almost grainy when you rotate the stick? I've been using my second pair of joycons and just picked up the ones that came with my unit and the stick noticeably feels "worn". There's also noticeably more give when you click the stick in. Kind of a bummer because I like them better (neon!) I haven't dropped it or anything.

Between that and how springy/clicky the shoulder buttons feel I'm pretty disappointed in the build quality of the joycons. It's not like they're cheap either.

My joycons are still fine. I press those buttons/sticks regularly since I don't have a pro controller, so idk if usage is a factor here.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

is that really a thing besides being purely anecdotal? I get at the professional level because of interference etc

It's real regardless of casual/competitive. How much it matters, though, is up to you. Even if I play games casually, I hate input lag and would like to reduce it as much as possible. That said any testing is going to ultimately depend on if you have anything else in your specific entertainment setup (distance, interference, etc).

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

See some info to avoid the newer smash controllers, gamble with an older gamecube controller, find the 2008 white Japanese one. Which should I be buying? Looking at wavebirds for convenience, not trying to compete or anything. They work fine with a wii-u and adapter?

Are you planning on playing Melee, or Smash 4? If you're planning on Smash 4, then the new controllers shouldn't be an issue.

If you're planning on Melee, do you guys care at all about competitive play? If not, then the new controllers shouldn't be much of an issue either. They aren't ideal but you probably won't notice much of a difference.

Are you competitive melee guys? If so, then don't pick wavebirds at all, and you're best bet is looking at the Japanese ones I think.

They all work with the Wii U + adapter, yes.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Then just stick with the new GC controllers with the smash logo on them and stuff. Well that or the wavebirds as you said you wanted.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Beastie posted:

Am I doing the rooftop party thing right?

Switches are impossible to get so obviously fake

And even if it were real, the switch has no games to play at roof party. Double fake

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

lelandjs posted:

Finally, B-K and SM64 were among the first 3D platformers, but a lot of the gameplay (or all, in B-K's case) was simply jumping around the levels looking for things (a chore, despite how unique and new the environments were). Now, with a little bit of tweaking and updating, their formula can be good (Odyssey looks promising) but when they're simply remade with a modern engine (Crash Bandicoot, Yuka-Laylee) the faults really start to show

I get the rest of your point (that old games have flaws that people shouldn't be afraid to look at), but I don't think you're right on these ones. The problems with SM64/BK aren't because there's some inherit problem with jumping + looking for things. It's more about camera systems, or obnoxious level designs, or awkward gameplay designs (like exiting a level for every star). Execution things that over time have been refined. The base idea of jumping around and looking for poo poo has been around forever since like....Metroid and was fine back then.

The Crash remakes are mostly fine too, the biggest problem is just the different programming they did on jumps that makes Crash 1 tighter than it used to be. Yooka-Laylee has issues, but it's not because of the base formula of collectathons; it's because there's a problem in the way Rare made those games that other platformers don't have.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Cojawfee posted:

I never really got the point of sonic. I watched the giant bomb quicklook and the levels are just so busy. I played whatever sonic was on the game gear 20 years ago and never got very far because I didn't know what I was supposed to be doing. At least in Mario, the point is to go to the right and get to the castle.

I don't disagree that old platformers have flaws worth examining, but this is the dumbest reasoning. In Sonic you also go right to hit the signposts/capsules. The genesis games have more freedom in their paths, and sometimes have little sections where you go to the left for a couple of seconds, but they ultimately all go to the right. Mania's levels aren't that much different.

Also lol @ judging only from the game gear sonics. It's like if the only Mario game you played was SML; it's an okay game but nothing compared to what most people like about SMB3/SMW.

Shadow225 posted:

Despite owning the game for about 5 months (1 month before I even owned a Switch), I'm going to start BotW soon. Any immediate tips?

You can go anywhere you want in whatever order you want. Most challenges in the game have multiple solutions so don't be afraid to experiment. Play around with cooking because it's extremely easy to do, materials for it are everywhere, and the game labels what's used for food or elixirs in descriptions of the materials.

RuBisCO's stuff + try to find the special NPC very close to Kakariko Village, because he'll expand your inventory which helps a lot

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

GreenNight posted:

I was like 40+ hours in the game before I found this guy. I had the whole map open :(

I didn't find him till I beat the game (maybe 60ish hours?) and explored every town but never went along the roads :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Which is basically why knuckles and tails exist, now that I think about it, but who plays the non-title characters first?

I mean, I don't think the games ever expected you to find all the hidden poo poo on your first playthrough anyways

• Locked thread