Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

honestly i don't understand it when people complain about names unless it's something generic like "horizon zero dawn" or it lends itself easily to dick jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i think the most anybody ever thought was that it would be just below xbone levels

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

Slightly worried about SMO. I fear it'll just be a game where you collect stuff and nothing really happens, and ultimately end up rather boring.

yeah i'm always worried that cool looking games just end up being games where you do stuff

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Companies and reviewers use words and phrases purposely but hey you were making a strong play with “Webster’s dictionary defined democracy as”

pull up my dude

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I played horizon after zelda and I got pissed at first that I couldn't just jump off cliffs

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

I was a hater at first but grabbed a copy of 1+2 from a friendly goon and it loving owns. I even love the aesthetic, which was initially that making me want to stay away.

Get Bayonetta.

same, I avoided it for years because I figured it was just embarrassing anime game but then I bought it on a whim for $8 and it turns out it's awesome anime game

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Zelda explorer edition was $49 at Wal Mart so I grabbed it. Is the DLC something I can decide on later or is it better to start a fresh game with it installed? Not sure if I'm gonna bother with it yet.

the real meat of the dlc can't be played until you beat the four main dungeons but there is a bunch of armor and stuff that should be more or less immediately accessible

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

i hope they make a skys of arcadia hd

keep the dream alive brother

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the ideal BotW sequel would reduce the total number of shrines to like ~80 or so and spend those resources on four (or more!!) main dungeons that are integrated into the overworld like hyrule castle but with more puzzles and locked doors. also it would be cool if it was similar to zelda 1 where keys aren't limited to specific dungeons

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

The Lobster posted:

Lady who plans to marry Tetris: http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/05/woman...k&ICID=ref_fark

I'm glad they were respectful of her.

quote:

For 20 year old Noorul Mahjabeen Hassan, who prefers to be known as Fractal Tetris Huracan

a good name

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

what the gently caress ?!

(from Reddit, probs fake, but idgaf)

what are we supposed to take from this?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

nintendo please

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

doom introduces new weapons and enemies at a consistent pace for most of the game until around the time you encounter the first actual boss fight, after which it becomes kind of repetitive, but that's like the last third or quarter of the game. doom is good

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

this seems like a pretty cool and interesting toy for children if you watch past the first 10 seconds which several posters in this thread apparently did not

e: like this guy^^^

romanowski fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 17, 2018

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

honestly I would get the piano thing by itself for like $30. well probably not really but in theory anyway

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

as an Adult Gamer I am EXTREMELY angry about this because it's not the Animal Crossing announcement I demanded

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Cobalt Viper posted:

Hmm, you're right. That $70 is actually for such killer titles as RC-Car and Fishing Pole.

you appear to be quite mad about this toy for children

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Rolo posted:

I’m seeing so many posts saying “lol nerds are so mad about them making an announcement for kids then having an announcement for kids” and not any of the actual rants.

It’s like when October comes around and nobody posts about pumpkin poo poo but everyone whines about people posting pumpkin poo poo.

someone was posting links to them earlier, they're definitely in the minority overall but they're out there

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

actually completing the 100 jump rope challenge is my proudest gaming achievement

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

it was also my saddest gaming moment because it was the last power moon I needed and now I can't play mario anymore :(

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Flubby posted:

I got a little rant I've been wanting to get off my chest. I bought a 3ds and it was easily one of the best purchases I've made. I used it for playing games in bed in those hours or two I wanted to relax before sleep and it worked perfectly for that. Really great library of games and I practically lived Animal Crossing for a year. So I got a Switch early this January and I'm already loving it as much as the 3ds. Zelda was perfect for settling down for the night and exploring that world. Then I hit my first Device Shrine. You have to move the Switch around to maneuver platforms around. So I started off in bed propped up by a reading pillow and suddenly doing yoga poses. loving hanging upside down off the edge of my bed to get this goddamn ball rolling where I need it to go. God help the person on a bus or in a hospital bed that gets hit with this poo poo. I looked at the options thinking surely, surely, there was an analog stick control for this, but nope. I looked up online to see if I can find anyone else with this problem and found out you can unhook the joycons to have an easier time of it. Even then I probably looked like an invisible wrestler had me in a shoulder popping arm lock. But I managed. Until I found more Device Shrines.

I got Mario Odyssey a few days ago and here it goes again. Great game, but whenever the control tutorials popped up it would show detached joycon instructions. No problem. I'll just use the alternate controls. Then there's no alternate controls for homing throws. Why not? I don't know. I guess I'll manage without them. Then I get to a circle of flowers. I have to throw my hat around me to hit them all quickly. I also need this when surrounded by enemies. Again, no alternative but to have the joycons in hand as if you were on a tv or in tabletop mode. I look it up, because this can't be right. There is a very poor alternative to the circle throw that will probably get you killed. No alternative to homing. This in a game that has four loving redundant buttons. Just like having to shake the Wiimote to make Donkey Kong roll, they purposefully left you with no other choice. Why? Especially in a console who's big selling point is you can play it on the go. Why do they keep doing this? Are motion control some feature that everyone loves and I don't know it? Why are they so insistent to the point of forcing you to use it? Are all first party Nintendo games going to do this?

of the 850+ moons I got in mario odyssey I think literally only one forced me to use motion controls and that was just to make the frog jump a little higher

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

before the direct I didn't really care if smash got announced or not but that was such a cool and kinda spooky teaser now I'm hype

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

maybe I need to see them next to each other or something but the dark souls remastered footage looked identical to the original game

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

please don't embarrass yourself by getting XB2 over zelda

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Takoluka posted:

When Snake, Cloud, Ryu, and Bayonetta showed up in Smash, the game basically opened itself up to literally any contender. Geralt wasn't likely by any stretch, but it was a non-zero chance.

except all of those characters have appeared on nintendo consoles at some point in their history (or at least in cloud's case was representing a series that at one point had long been associated with nintendo consoles)

I don't think literally anybody actually thought geralt would be in smash but then again I guess gamers are mentally ill

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

it's not going to be a port, or at least it's not going to be branded as just an enhanced edition of smash 4

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

majora's mask is the real greatest zelda and anyone who disagrees is a coward who is scared of the moon

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Frankston posted:

In my 140+ hour playthrough I only really noticed bad frame drops in the korok forest :shrug:

turn on your switch

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I hope people who claim BotW is a bad game get the help they need. and by that I mean I hope they get thrown in jail

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the shrines were good as hell and a smart way to encourage and reward exploration but I also would take fewer of them for more substantial main dungeons. basically ditch the tests of strength and also replace the ones you find from solving overworld puzzles with more interesting rewards than just an empty shrine

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I'm just starting Spatoon for the first time and I'm really confused because this is completely unplayable in the position I want to play in. I want to give it a whirl while relaxing in bed for a bit but my natural position is just aiming straight in the air and the only reset button I know of (Y) just seems to center the camera. can you really not play this game unless you are sitting at a specific angle? Also I was hoping I could actually look up with the right stick as well as motion controls.

I'm also just starting splatoon and it's a lot of fun but I have the same drat complaints. why can't I aim with both the stick and motion controls like in zelda? :mad: I just can't seem to wrap my head around using motion controls for vertical aiming but the stick for horizontal

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

Short answer: because it would suck.

Long answer: the Steam Controller also supports gyroscopic aim supplemented by mouselook with its trackpad in a clear analogue to Splatoon's control setup. But unlike Splatoon you could mouse up and down. Sounds great, right?

Except for the way mouselook functions in games like these. When you mouse left or mouse right, you're not actually looking to the left or to the right, you're rotating your character. When you're looking at the horizon this works just fine. When you rotate to the left or right, you look to the left or right. No problem.

What happens when you're looking straight up and you mouse to the left or right? You don't actually look left or right. You spin in place. Because you're just rotating. The control scheme breaks down.

In my own experience with the Steam Controller it felt more like I was spending more time correcting my vertical look to keep the gyro aim working well because mouse look works less and less well the further your look strays from the horizon line. If you've ever played Overwatch and had a Pharah player sitting right overhead, you already know how much this sucks. And with a mouse you can just drag it down and you're centered again, but with sticks and motion you have to slowly drag your view back down with the analog stick, which takes forever and would get you immediately killed in a game as fast as Splatoon is. Or, you nudge the stick up to hit a guy on a high ledge, but just then somebody below you starts giving you trouble but because your view is high up you can't physically crank you wrists down far enough to comfortably and reliably aim at them and so again you have to drag the view back down with the stick and at that point why are you even using the gyro aim if you can't benefit from the speed it offers?

Yes you can recenter your view with the Y button but I can't remember the last time I ever bothered.

Splatoon locks vertical stick movement when motion controls are enabled to prevent this from happening. Trust me, I WISH the Steam Controller allowed for y-axis mouselook lock. I might actually still use the drat thing.

I don't know nothin about the steam controller but the gyro + stick aiming works fine in zelda. that being said I played a few more rounds of splatoon and I think I've mostly wrapped my head around it, at least in handheld mode

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Weedle posted:

It seemed like a lot of people drove as close as possible to the train so Smoke would just dump into the side of the train instead of being able to shoot over the top edge at the guys standing on the roof. If you keep a little lateral distance between the bike and the train it’s a cakewalk. Relatedly, I would buy San Andreas for the sixth time if they released it for Switch.

but there's a part in the mission where you veer onto a path that puts you level with the dudes on the train and smoke still takes forever to actually kill any of them. idk I haven't actually played san andreas in like 10 years and I don't think I struggled too much with that mission but I do recall failing it a few times which was incredibly annoying because it was so long and a single fuckup would make you start over from the beginning

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

all zeldas are good, even the bad ones. except for the ds ones

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

there's a good game hidden under SS's layers of bullshit, imo

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

And Majora's Mask.

please don't troll me

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Edit: Anyone ever play Phantasy Star Online on things like the dreamcast? People would just hack in whatever they wanted on their character including if I remember correctly items that would do things like delete your character if you picked them up

I remember this and I'm still bitter about it :mad:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I have mixed feelings on the look of the armor in Zelda. There’s a lot of cool stuff in that it’s well designed and neat looking, but almost all of it just looks... wrong. I always find myself running around in the Hylian set because it’s awesome looking and super easy to max out. Meanwhile everything else looks way too gimmicky or extravagant. I’ll use other stuff for functional reasons, but it’s not a good game for fashion souls. I just want link to look like a badass adventure guy and I feel like the options are way too limited.

I’ll still take it over modern AAA games where the hero has a set look and new armor basically boils down to changing a few textures. At least there’s a lot of variety.

just wear a crimson-dyed stealth outfit with the lynel mask ya dummy

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Is the music in Splatoon 2 still awful like in 1? But being able to turn that poo poo off is the #1 reason I stopped playing that game.

what the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Barudak posted:

Id play one of these two again and its not BotW. BotW is, of course, unambiguosly a more functional game on every single level but as an experience its a completely jumbled mess of poorly thought out ideas stitched together often at complete cross purposes and almost all of which exist to waste time.

such as?

• Locked thread