Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Roman can kill a man on screen and WWE will still try to make him the Face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not sure why anyone would sign for 205 live over NXT since 205 live is the walking dead

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Because you will be working in front of real crowds and make more than your downside where if you go to NXT you'll make poo poo money in front of 200 people.

How badly will NXT/205 live be cut if the TV deal money is cut?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

It's mildly profitable in strong quarters and for the MOST part the numbers have pretty steadily risen, at least in terms of the sub ceiling getting higher year after year, but they're a substantial way (about 100k-ish according to a financial analyst from Citi) from making up for the PPV gap, but that doesn't factor in the initial startup costs either. Still, I'd characterize it as consistently break even to slightly profitable with decent upward prospects in a vacuum. It's certainly not losing a ton quarter on quarter anymore though.

It's still nowhere close to making what the TV deal is, and probably will never get there at the current rate of adding subscribers and cost on the service. Plus while it's adding sub numbers I get the feeling a decent % of those are soft, either people that are on free months that will quit or people that just sub for the months of the big PPV's (just using the service as a PPV service). I suppose if the TV deal does get slashed they could always sell ads but than the WWE ad rate is always terrible so that probably won't make that much a difference

rare Magic card l00k posted:

NXT would (probably) be fine, but there would probably be cuts to the Eric Youngs of the roster.

I'm pretty sure if the TV rights money took a huge cut NXT would be back to being purely developmental and no longer trying to be the super indy.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

TBF if you are 100% set on going to the WWE you probably want to go now because if the TV rights deal does go south they probably won't signing anyone new for awhile. It's just for some going to the WWE is probably not the best business move

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

In North America WWE has always required wrestlers to get themselves from town to town. They only pay for a flight in and a flight out. Until the late 80s they didn't pay for the flight out.

Also HHH's tweet reminded me that Mayweather/McGregor will have more PPV buys than Raw has viewers which means the fight will probably be viewed by 4-5x more people than your average episode of Raw.

WWE not paying for travel to the event and road costs always struck me as BS and is probably why most wrestlers probably end up not having a lot of money unless they really cut costs on the road.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd love a full hour show of Southpaw regional wrestling with matches but that would be good so we'll probably get a McMahon show or something

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The WWE seems to be in this weird state of cutting costs drastically cutting costs yet expanding the roster and it seems very unsustainable

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

I'd be very surprised if they keep doing roster expansions/random tournaments after they get the new TV deal

Yeah, I'd be like super worried signing a deal yet at the same time if you 100% want a WWE run you probably want to go now or else that may dry up.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think the built in loyalty and hardcore nature of the fanbase means they'll always travel for the big shows like Rumble, Summerslam and Mania but they won't pay tickets for the lesser shows just cause they're PPV. The Jinder PPV ticket sales seem to prove this!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They probably should actually start planning and building for Cena to chase for the title to break Flair's record. If booked properly and built up to Mania it'd draw good money.

So OFC they'll probably have him beat Jinder on some random B show and have Corbin cash in on him

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Honestly I don't think the WWE is booking the shows with the idea that it's only 10 they'll be happy with what they get. I think they truly think they're booking the major shows in a way that pay's off. It's just that before you could tell a show bombed by the PPV buy rate and could change plans accordingly. Now with the network they don't have that monthly feedback so they can't change. Plus Network subs at last reporting have grown so they probably think everything is A-ok!

Which is pretty scary and probably not a good sign for PPV quality outside of major shows.

I wonder what kinda of bloodletting would happen if Network subs ever dropped for a quarter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If Dixie comes out in the Shockmaster mask it'll be the greatest segment ever

• Locked thread