Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Sid Vicious posted:

I wish I could have slipped from 8 to adulthood

But think of it this way, did link mature mentally when he jumped to an adult, or did he internally remain an 8 year old? Why put the fate of the world in the hands of a mentally retarded adult?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Link is autistic, duh

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
Well the fact he doesn't talk and has the compulsion to hack at bushes is a giveaway.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Orkin Mang posted:

one of the better tennis games out there

One of the better fishing games out there

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ocarina of Time is the more revolutionary game, but Majora's Mask is better. MM wouldn't have been possible without OoT and I think OoT should be played first to get the full effect.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Phlairdon posted:

But think of it this way, did link mature mentally when he jumped to an adult, or did he internally remain an 8 year old? Why put the fate of the world in the hands of a mentally retarded adult?

I had to go through it and still am a mental child anyways

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I've never played a video game before.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bareback Werewolf posted:

I've never played a video game before.

then u have yet to come of age

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Twilight Princess has better graphics, tighter controls, a much better storyline... and you can play as a wolf! Take off the nostalgia glasses, folks, TP is clearly superior.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Zorodius posted:

Twilight Princess has better graphics, tighter controls, a much better storyline... and you can play as a wolf! Take off the nostalgia glasses, folks, TP is clearly superior.

It looks like butt cause it's old now

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Zorod posted:

I don’t even remember the story of TP.

I completely skipped SS.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zorodius posted:

TP is Nintendo giving all OoT fans exactly what they were asking for-- more of everything, more ornate aesthetics, furry-fulfillment, more lore, generic anime shadow-themed villain--and on that level it's really good... but there's just something missing because its existence is so deliberately a derivative.

OoT is really simple by comparison, but that's kind-of an asset. It makes it more fun to play than Majora, although MM is way more satisfying if you can figure out its er.... moon logic.

Also Forest Temple is the best by like, every measure.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
I'm stuck at the water temple in the 3ds remake of it. Never played it on N64. It's an awesome game, but gently caress this water temple. I have no idea where to go, or what loving level I should even set the water to in order to proceed. It saves your game with the water level wherever you last set it. Ughghghg.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Secular Humanist posted:

I'm stuck at the water temple in the 3ds remake of it. Never played it on N64. It's an awesome game, but gently caress this water temple. I have no idea where to go, or what loving level I should even set the water to in order to proceed. It saves your game with the water level wherever you last set it. Ughghghg.

lol, you're dumber than a literal child. :sad:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Secular Humanist posted:

I have absolutely awful spatial reasoning skills but the Water Temple was a breeze for me.

No need to thank me for making you feel bad over a twenty-year-old video game.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I got stymied at the Water Temple but in fairness I was ten. I imagine it's way easier if you just map out key points and how to change the water levels yourself and don't try to brute force it like you can with literally every other Zelda dungeon ever.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

lol, you're dumber than a literal child. :sad:

oh hey buddy

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
It’s not that hard when you just check to see what rooms you haven’t been in yet. Just explore

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Over There posted:

It’s not that hard when you just check to see what rooms you haven’t been in yet. Just explore

There's a limited number of options, so it shouldn't take more than ten minutes to find a room you haven't been to before. It ain't rocket science.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Over There posted:

I did, theres only like 2 rooms on my map I haven't been in. Both are behind locked doors, and I have no more keys and can't find any unopened chests. The main problem is that I have no idea where I should set the water. Like I'll set it to the lowest level and then just run around not having any idea if I need to change it or not.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

There's a limited number of options, so it shouldn't take more than ten minutes to find a room you haven't been to before. It ain't rocket science.

There's a limited number of options to beat like every game ever I'm sure if I set up a machine to randomly hit buttons it would eventually get through it

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Only with the gameshark codes for infinite hoverboots and bombchus.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Secular Humanist posted:

I did, theres only like 2 rooms on my map I haven't been in. Both are behind locked doors, and I have no more keys and can't find any unopened chests. The main problem is that I have no idea where I should set the water. Like I'll set it to the lowest level and then just run around not having any idea if I need to change it or not.
This is exactly where I found myself. Again, your best option is to just draw/print a map of each floor, mark where the switches are, what they do, and what switches you need to activate to reach each room. Then go around marking where you've been and any areas you can't get to. Eventually something will jump out.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
ocarina of time is one of the only early 3D games from the late 90s\early 2000s that actually aged well and is still fun today

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Secular Humanist posted:

There's a limited number of options to beat like every game ever I'm sure if I set up a machine to randomly hit buttons it would eventually get through it

Have you tried using your brain instead of randomly mashing your face against the buttons? It's a novel tactic, I know, but give it a shot.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i beat the water temple without a strategy guide when i was 10 lol.. good luck guys.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They even made Water Temple way easier in the 3DS version.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
Majora's Mask's version of the water temple is so goddamn tedious. Why are water-themed temples always a slog?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

warez posted:

Majora's Mask's version of the water temple is so goddamn tedious. Why are water-themed temples always a slog?

Water is the lamest element.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Some of the non dungeon stuff is a little rough compared to modern standards, but the dungeons still loving rule.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

warez posted:

Ancient Cistern in Skyward Sword is a good water dungeon, the one in Twilight Princess ain't bad either

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Over There posted:

Not sure if it’s nostalgia but I’ve been replaying it recently and it’s just drat good.

It is good OP, but goddamn if I got really bad at puzzling out what the gently caress I'm supposed to do in the intervening decades

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I liked that game but could never beat it. So naturally, I told all my classmates I beat it the same day I got it in the most :smug: way possible.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Yeah, it is pretty good huh?

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."
It makes me laugh when contrarian nerds say that OoT sucks now because "look at how lovely the graphics are in comparison to a modern game!"

The graphics are the least important part in if a game is fun or not.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Wandle Shaytham posted:

It makes me laugh when contrarian nerds say that OoT sucks now because "look at how lovely the graphics are in comparison to a modern game!"

The graphics are the least important part in if a game is fun or not.

I don’t think I’ve actually heard that for OoT

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

the ocarina IS the time. the time IS the ocarina

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

really tho ocarina of time is probably objectively the best game ever made. it's not perfect tho, a few things about it are weirdly brainless. like, I loved the dungeons and they're fun and aesthetically great but aside from, uh, bottom of the well and ganon's castle they're pretty much completely linear. a link to the past had all these dungeons where you'd run into two or three locked doors and you had to decide which one to unlock, but in oot it's like you already know which door a key is for when you get it

actually i don't have any other complaints, hmm. it's very close to being perfect. dang

Kuato posted:

I liked that game but could never beat it. So naturally, I told all my classmates I beat it the same day I got it in the most :smug: way possible.
i knew a guy at school who hated majora's mask because he couldnt get past the first temple and i could never look at him the same way after that

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
OoT owned. I want to play Breath of the Wild, but huge open world games are becoming increasingly taxing in my advanced age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Majora's Mask is my favorite 3D Zelda and it's just so good because the world feels alive and real with NPCs going about their day and an actual sense of time passing and events occurring. There's some insanely creative side quests and I adore the mood. I love Majora's Mask. I still love it after playing the recent 3DS port.

• Locked thread