Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

I think he gave them the broad strokes, so like the huge plot points are probably what he had roughly planned out. So stuff like the wildfire explosion under the church, the battle of the bastards, the dragon getting killed is all stuff that would happen but obviously there would be more build up, probably a bunch more minor characters introduced and probably more graphic descriptions of food, sex and making GBS threads.

Pretty much this - like everyone else I think the show badly stumbled when they completely ran out of published source material (especially with the terrible Dorne arc) but this season I think they've done a better job of adapting the raw material to the medium of television and the show has markedly improved compared to last year or the year before, and in fact is better than it's ever been. There's stuff that sticks out weirdly (they are massively rushing the Jon and Dany romance) but it's sort of forgivable when you look at this show as a weird book/TV hybrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bobo the Red posted:

They're enormous Dany stans and seem to think everyone else is too

But really who here isn't an enormous Dany Stan

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

freebooter posted:

Pretty much this - like everyone else I think the show badly stumbled when they completely ran out of published source material (especially with the terrible Dorne arc) but this season I think they've done a better job of adapting the raw material to the medium of television and the show has markedly improved compared to last year or the year before, and in fact is better than it's ever been.

To say this you must've slept through the whole last episode.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Just remembered Brienne is going to KL.

Is her cruel, dishonorable death at Cersei's hands what tips Jaime over? She's basically the only non-Lannister he cares about (besides Bronn, obvs)

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 22, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Bobo the Red posted:

Just remembered Brienne is going to KL.

Is her cruel, dishonorable death at Cersei's hands what tips Jaime over? She's basically the only non-Lannister he cares about (besides Bronn, obvs)

I'm not as huge a critic of this show as other, but this Brienne trip to KL makes very little sense to me given that, moment earlier, Littlefinger told Sansa to ask Brienne for help with Arya. So, instead, she sends her away?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Sansa being invited in the first place is clear evidence that Cersei is up to no good. Sansa is Jon's representative in the North when he's on tour, if she leaves Winterfell she's back to just being Sansa Stark, sister and daughter to a lot of dead people.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm not as huge a critic of this show as other, but this Brienne trip to KL makes very little sense to me given that, moment earlier, Littlefinger told Sansa to ask Brienne for help with Arya. So, instead, she sends her away?

Honestly, doing the exact opposite of what Littlefinger tells you is just about the smartest thing that anybody in Westeros can do.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Away all Goats posted:

The horses thing is 100% them running out of budget for the episode and/or deciding to spend the money on Flaming Zombie Polar Bear instead

Forget horses, where the hell is Ghost? They couldn't even bother writing dialogue to explain his absence the entire season.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Goreld posted:

Forget horses, where the hell is Ghost? They couldn't even bother writing dialogue to explain his absence the entire season.

They had that one little nod to him where Sansa says that he won't wait on Jon forever. So going by that he's still at winterfell. It's really disappointing that we haven't even seen him once yet this season.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sansa being invited in the first place is clear evidence that Cersei is up to no good. Sansa is Jon's representative in the North when he's on tour, if she leaves Winterfell she's back to just being Sansa Stark, sister and daughter to a lot of dead people.

I thought the "invitation" was just Sansa making up some bullshit reason to get Brienne out of there? Especially since she threw the note in the fire right after she left.

EDIT:
Oh no, don't tell me they're gonna kill her off so that she can do Star Wars Ep 8 instead of GoT Season 8...

Mezzanine fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 22, 2017

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Confer posted:

They had that one little nod to him where Sansa says that he won't wait on Jon forever. So going by that he's still at winterfell. It's really disappointing that we haven't even seen him once yet this season.

Pretty hosed up of Jon to just leave his wolf locked in a cage in Winterfell for who knows how long. The Starks are very irresponsible pet owners.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty sure Sansa says that the northern lords won't wait for Jon forever "like ghost".

Indicating the ghost is a good dog and is still alive but not much else.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You know, I just realized something else that's really stupid about the plan to capture a wight.

It completely invalidates the idea that the wall is magically protected and preventative of the undead hordes from crossing. That plot point, properly explained would have been plenty to cover the idea that the giant shambling horde is loving around between Hardhome and Eastwatch while every one else races around the continent wondering why they haven't been descended upon or fighting each other. But now even if they try to explain it retrospectively, there is no good way to do so

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Yeah, Ghost not being around at all is a pretty egregious omission, but the show has also made it very clear for years now that the wolves just aren't as important as they are in the books. Sucks, but I'm not really surprised.

It's been said, but Game of Thrones is a totally different show now where cool stuff just happens for the sake of the writers and/or fans wanting to see it happen. That's not always necessarily bad, but it's not good, either. I'm fine with the show not being in full-on political intrigue mode anymore, but the character and relationship development has really suffered in the absence of it, to say nothing of the pacing. I'd hoped shortening the final seasons meant the series would end on a tightly-plotted high note, but so far it seems like all that's done is just make a rushed mess of things.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Macaluso posted:

But really who here isn't an enormous Dany Stan

Jon X Ygritte 4ever!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Boon posted:

You know, I just realized something else that's really stupid about the plan to capture a wight.

It completely invalidates the idea that the wall is magically protected and preventative of the undead hordes from crossing. That plot point, properly explained would have been plenty to cover the idea that the giant shambling horde is loving around between Hardhome and Eastwatch while every one else races around the continent wondering why they haven't been descended upon or fighting each other. But now even if they try to explain it retrospectively, there is no good way to do so

I mean it's still doing that, they're taking a boat around aren't they?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Boon posted:

This has been as issue since those dead night's watch guys turned zombie inside Castle Black. Let's just make up a plausible explanation, like the white walkers can't cross or zombies can't will themselves across.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

business hammocks posted:

This has been as issue since those dead night's watch guys turned zombie inside Castle Black. Let's just make up a plausible explanation, like the white walkers can't cross or zombies can't will themselves across.

Oh poo poo forgot about that.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

bloom posted:

Pretty hosed up of Jon to just leave his wolf locked in a cage in Winterfell for who knows how long. The Starks are very irresponsible pet owners.

I'm sure he's just staying in / around winterfell. The dire wolves don't take kindly to being locked up.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

A recap I was listening to pointed out another aspect: why would Cersei be asking for someone else from Winterfell? Jon is the king, and Jon is going.

It may all be a play to make Littlefinger think he is sowing discord

Goreld posted:

Bringing a giant wolf on a bunch of boat trips to a mining expedition would be incredibly stupid

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Bobo the Red posted:

A recap I was listening to pointed out another aspect: why would Cersei be asking for someone else from Winterfell? Jon is the king, and Jon is going.

It's certainly intended for there to be three sides on the debate- three tents for three sides to sit under. Unless that's just a play to put Dany off to the side so Cersei can be front-and-center and be seen as the 'true queen'.

Granted I highly doubt Cersei would anticipate Jon bending the knee.

That'd be a great scene if everyone expects Jon to sit in a chair as King in the North, but instead he shocks everyone by going and sitting with Dany and Tyrion (a raven, of course, also having been sent to Winterfell).

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bobo the Red posted:

Bringing a giant wolf on a bunch of boat trips to a mining expedition would be incredibly stupid

A hamfisted attempt to fit the War of Three Queens book narrative to the show? No idea.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Will Yara make a lol cameo in e7?

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

whatever7 posted:

Will Yara make a lol cameo in e7?

If she does I don't see her living through the episode.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's certainly intended for there to be three sides on the debate- three tents for three sides to sit under. Unless that's just a play to put Dany off to the side so Cersei can be front-and-center and be seen as the 'true queen'.

Granted I highly doubt Cersei would anticipate Jon bending the knee.

That'd be a great scene if everyone expects Jon to sit in a chair as King in the North, but instead he shocks everyone by going and sitting with Dany and Tyrion (a raven, of course, also having been sent to Winterfell).

The 3 sided thing makes sense, just not expecting both Jon AND his regent to both show up for it. Someone's gotta rule Winterfell, and it won't be the other Starks

Jon is dumb enough to give away his pledge before he needs to though. Way better to go into a 3 sided negotiation as allies than to join up ahead of time, but he's too honorable and dumb

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

I took that as Littlefinger hinting she can use Brienne for protection, but also pointing out that Brienne will protect Arya. So they increased the Sansa and Arya tension even more implying she had something bad in store for her if she felt it necessary by sending a potential protector away. They've been drawing the Cersei/Sansa parallels too often for that not to mean something.

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 22, 2017

tjones
May 13, 2005
I hope Arya stabs Sansa in the face, then takes her face and stabs Littlefinger in the face, then takes his face and stabs Bran for being Bran. Then she and hot pie can rule the North now that Jon is on team dragon.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What's a Dany Stan?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
You know, looking at these scenes again, the zombies would be a lot more effective if they used the weapons they wield. Instead of tackles, punches, kicks and growls.

It doesn't look like anyone would have any trouble defending against these clowns. The top fraggers on the Jon team have like 50+ points on them. All the zombies got was some lovely wildling and Thoros.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

whatever7 posted:

Did you watch the Arya vs Waif episode?

Many fantasy works have Terminators, what is the big deal

Red
Apr 15, 2003

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The final season will feature multiple Scooby-Doo-esque scenes of people being captured and having their face masks removed to reveal their true identities.

As long as it's followed by the entire cast singing the GoT theme using 'doo doo doo' instead of hums, I approve.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In imagining one of those montages where they all run in and out of different doors in a long hallway while some sunny 60s pop plays.

Here it will be a cover by The National.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What's a Dany Stan?

It's near turkmeni Stan.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

All this talk of Stan just makes me think Barristan shouldn't have died

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Vegetable posted:

All this talk of Stan just makes me think Barristan shouldn't have died

It seems like the Warlocks existed just to introduce Selmy, btw.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

D&D weren't hired to do anything, they pitched the adaptation to GRRM and HBO and they definitely knew the series is sprawling and unfinished when they did.

Yeah this. They also clearly fancy themselves as writers and are going to build most of the Confederate show themselves, which is why it'll be awful.

Bobo the Red posted:

Never defend D&D. Every time they're on Inside the Ep, they show that they have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. They're enormous Dany stans and seem to think everyone else is too

Seriously watch the behind the scenes with them, they're awful.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Wall is supposed to keep the Walkers from crossing, not their wights.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The D&D episode follow-ups are incredibly stupid and immediately ruin any immersion in the story that you might have had.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah this. They also clearly fancy themselves as writers and are going to build most of the Confederate show themselves, which is why it'll be awful.

Eh, they show themselves to be reliable with actual source material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't think I've ever seen a creator of a work of fiction try so hard to tell you that it's a series of plot devices and managed decisions rather than an organic and independent story.

• Locked thread