Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Hello new industry thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

cods posted:

I would love to answer any questions anyone has for me about, well whatever, and I would love to answer. I'm also unemployed for the next couple weeks so I'll have the time. As well as if anyone has any useful information or advice for the Los Angeles dining scene/good info it would be appreciated.

Welcome to Southern California. You're going to love and hate it here.

Live by where you work. You think you know traffic. You don't know traffic.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

cods posted:

The ole love/hate. It sounds like here!

Yeah, I'm going to air BNB it the first two months so I can find something relative to where my job is going to be.

Is summer/end of Summer a good time to head over there?

Any time is a good time. I live in the South Bay, so it's always 75ish. It gets a bit hotter inland and less expensive. And over the mountains it gets stupid hot.

Don't worry about Air BnB after a few weeks. Find a room for rent. You can get a room somewhere with roommates for usually around a grand a month.

The hotel clusters are downtown stretching to the west side (Santa Monica area) and there are tons of them.

Long Beach is also a lot fun and has good opportunities.

Be prepared for the parking apocolypse. Parking here sucks, just like NYC. Salaries are higher out here than in NYC, but cost of living is brutal, but you are used to that.

Gravity (the poster here) could probably give you better info as I am back in the IT field and have only been here a year. He has been here forever

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

He didn't stage, he did a tasting :V

e: and if he can prove he's not retarded to my boss over the next 6mos he'll be banquet sous or sous for the bistro in the expansion.

You just enjoy dragging him around Austin don't you?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

He's really reliable, and I keep getting him higher pay :shrug:

So yes.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Skwirl posted:

It's loving cute how people think FOH has any control over the quality of their food.

If you told me someone complained that their kid hit you in the dick when I was younger, I would have hosed with their food

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Skwirl posted:

Be honest, when you were younger you would have hosed up their food on accident without thinking it was a big deal.

hosed WITH not up.

But yeah you're right.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Also on the subject of working interviews:

I do not have time to find out if you lied on your resume or that you are a piece of poo poo. Show me what you can do or go gently caress yourself, I have 10 other people who want this spot.

It's probably true you have 10 people willing to work slave wages and hours to claw their way up to a life changing 12 bucks an hour.

Have a tasting with your interview instead of making the guy work for days for free or poo poo pay him for his work as a contract for a week.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Just because you work in a nightmare shithole doesn't mean we all run our operations like that.

I don't know how to break it to you but I work in the IT field again and make 6 figures at a major car manufacturer.

My job is definitely not at a poo poo hole.

That being said I always compensated my cooks and my servers above minimum wage.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Liquid Communism posted:

Done. That needed to be here.

People should have the occasional reminder that it is never safe to assume potential employers are going to comply with the law when literally dozens of dollars are on the line, much less real money.

I actually laughed at the dozens of dollars comment.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Yeah the real problem is single shift unpaid stages, not the 1 year unpaid corporate internships, or the multiyear indentured servitude perpetrated by Disney and others.

Also, there is a difference between "chef" and "owner". One controls what we spend money on. The other keeps the gears turning.

If it makes you feel like GOOD PEOPLE when you berate and poo poo on some random individual chef for following the precedent set by the industry, cool, I'm happy for you. While you jerk yourself off, I'll be cooking food.

The precedent aet by the industry sucks and it's the industry perpetuating it.

Change can only be made from the inside. A good example is the places that are removing tips, paying everyone fairly and raising prices. its working too

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Oh and let me be the first to point out my restaurant was a failure I lost a bunch of money and I closed it.

So there is that.

But God drat did I love every second of it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i said nearly everyone because as the only foh folks i can consistently remember are you and amahd

Ah yes. A man and his dog.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Skwirl posted:

Bring an extra undershirt and change half way through your shift maybe?

Use full strength degreaser on your back every day, have the dish pit guy spray you down with scalding water afterwards.

If I'm not being clealry sarcastic there please don't do any of what I just said.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

A Man and his dog posted:

We just got the health inspection...

Men. I was not here for this event. And the guys tried, they really did.

Grade B: 87.5

Ehhhhh. gently caress.

Well good thing too, you could have been there and gotten a D

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Yeah, you right. I stopped posting because I was getting angry (obviously), but I took some time and talked to a couple different chefs I know about this to get their insight.

Firstly, it isn't illegal per se. U.S. labor laws say that an unpaid position can't benefit the company directly, and in fact might hinder it. Any time I've ever had a stage, he is babysat by a cook all night and ends up slowing that station down considerably, and the other cooks have to help them out playing catchup on prep.

That said, doing the paperwork and dealing with the payroll for a new hire and cutting them a check for what might be one night of work would be a nightmare. We could pay them under the table, and that's something some other chefs I know have started doing apparently, and I'm considering as well.

I hadn't heard about places removing the tip system, so I looked it up. Good to see there is some success there. I'll admit that it's much easier to jump into a pool that already has water in it.

Explosive hostility has a way of making people double down and lash out. Doesn't mean someone is a horrible person though. I've got our chef meeting tomorrow, and I'm going to float this and see where it takes us.

This is awesome and you are awesome. I hope you can implement changes and work for the betterment of the industry at large.

Thanks for being open minded and willing to embrace even the thought of change.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Good luck dude.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Got fired from my dream job after I hit my head, passed out, and went on autopilot thanks to my anxiety meds and scared the poo poo out of everyone and drank a whole bottle of tequila.

Reason for termination? My potentially mind altering PRESCRIBED medications could be a clear and present danger to myself and others.

e: oh sure, I'll just stop taking those so I can go back to being a binge drinking ball of stress.

What the gently caress did you hit your head on... And why did you then drink an entire bottle of Tequila.

And how did you not die?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

He's ignoring it because it doesn't support the point he is trying to double down on. I know what that's like.

I'm going to take it one step further and say all restaurant employees should quit and find other jobs. Let robots cook the food.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Hey guys tell me if this math works out.

I have a 7 lbs choice bone in rib roast sitting in the tepid puddle machine at 134. I plan on leaving it there for the next 24 hours.

Is this the right temp and time for this you think?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

24 hours is a bit long for prime rib. I'd say 12-14 for that traditional texture. Hopefully you salted it before bagging. Take it out, pat it dry, pepper and garlic the poo poo out of it and roast at 400 for 15-20min.

134 is fine though. I usually just leave my anova at 134 for everything except beans and root vegetables.

I always season before bagging.

I won't get home until the 16 hour mark but I will pull it then . Thanks.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Samizdata posted:

According to what I have read, you generally want to avoid garlic during the puddling phase. It can end up tasting funky.

Yeah garlic goes on during the seat at the end. I do salt and whole herbs during the puddle.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Samizdata posted:

I should have known better from your posts, but I do what I can to help.

It's all good dude. All advice is appreciated.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

24 hours is a bit long for prime rib. I'd say 12-14 for that traditional texture. Hopefully you salted it before bagging. Take it out, pat it dry, pepper and garlic the poo poo out of it and roast at 400 for 15-20min.

134 is fine though. I usually just leave my anova at 134 for everything except beans and root vegetables.

Came out a liiiiiiittle bit too soft at 18 hours but I got home late so gently caress it.

Tasted delicious though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Shooting Blanks posted:

gently caress all of you for making me want prime rib for lunch.

It made a really good sandwich

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Samizdata posted:

Hey, Shooting Blanks, I say we take a road trip to Monks' house, and you, well, not shoot blanks. And we have amazing sandwiches.

You two make it out to SoCal you can have a sandwich.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Uncle Lizard posted:

I love living in Tacoma and can barely stand going to Seattle for the most part. I'm sorry you think you're better than me because you live in Seattle. You're not by the way, but you'll be living in Tacoma in no time anyway just to afford rent, and I'll be forced to move to a place where the people aren't snotty judgemental fucks because Tacoma will be filled with people like you.

You will be firmly entrenched in silverdale by 2022

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Uncle Lizard posted:

I will be moving south if I have to move. Probably end up in Lacey.

Oh come on, Kitsap is a very ... errrr... nice place.

Outside of any of the towns it's very pretty.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Uncle Lizard posted:

I couldn't deal with the toll on the bridge, and everyone I know is on this side of the bridge, accept for one person in Bremerton. All the other places is willingly move to other than Tacoma, in the whole entire country, I can't afford. Is South Philly affordable?

There is a toll on the bridge now? Brutal.

Also no idea about South Philly but LA is completely unaffordable. That's why I live here!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

virinvictus posted:

Getting my GED in October and hoping that with enough effort and a year or two in college, I can say this eventually.

Get an associates in comp sci. Make money being a computer janitor and work your way up.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

cods posted:

Hey goons, real quick life crisis. Flew out to la to NY for 2 tastings. Here are the options:

Small place but in an absolutely picturesque setting that you wouldn't mind driving to, but wouldn't look as good on the resume. But sit a bad job. Also pay is 3k more but title is poo poo compared to what I was so huge step down.also little.

Just finished a super long day in one of the most luxurious places I've ever stepped into. Would look loving killer on resume but job is harder. But not like crazy harder and it's more of a "chef" job than the other one. Pay not as good. Both have good benes. This place is really highly reviewes on glass door.

So chill cool job, or job that's better for future? Uhhhh. So conflicted. Need goon help.

I have no idea what any of this is actually saying but go for the one closer to me in the South Bay so I can come eat.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

A Man and his dog posted:

That reminds me that on Friday night I took a random Uber ride 20 mins away from downtown to the beach and oooh boy.

The two girls were wasted and we were all making out and having fun and yeah.

They ended up disappearing and I went home alone. Good times.

The most somber moment was when the wasted girl asked the old uber driver what was up and he was like My Wife Just Died....

:aaa:

You are a walking potential sexual assault charge. Be smart and safe dude.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

cods posted:

Sorry, I was having a freakout on the on the runway in the runway typing that before I had to go into airplane mode.

Basically I think I want to chose the douche place because a im douche, and it will pay off in a couple of years. While the other one wouldn't be bad, and it would be a much more chill job, I just cant take poo poo too easy on myself.

Where is the douchey place? And where is the chill place?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

cods posted:

Okay, finally have all this sorted out. Accepted offer in Malibu. Could have gotten the other one but the timing didn't work and the job in Malibu was a sure thing, and I am moving across the country, so I didn't want to risk anything.

Having said that, where do I live if I work in Malibu? I don't mind a 45 minute commute in order to save on rent. I'm just not entirely sure where to start looking.

Hahahahaha.

Nowhere near Malibu and you commute will be longer than 45 minutes.

You want cheap rent go up into the valley.

Alright having gotten that out of the way you have to decide.

What do you want? Can you live in a one bedroom or studio, park on the street and don't mind using a laundromat? You can get something in Santa Monica for around 2k or less.

If you need more space you have to move further inland and north.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 22, 2017

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Just make weed legal so people will chill the gently caress out.

Weed is legal here and people are definitely not chilled out.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Skwirl posted:

And we have a winner for dumbest post in the thread.

Seriously. Why isn't he doing coke like everyone else?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Shooting Blanks posted:

As I understand it, the main reason they came down on caffeinated alcoholic drinks is because the caffeine can you keep you awake past the point where you'd normally pass out, which increases your risk of alcohol poisoning and death. Interactions with other substances aren't nearly as well documented.

I used to get thoroughly hosed up on vodka red bull in 2002. Like pints and pints of it every night. It was great.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

when i said no fraternization i specifically meant managers. two hourly employees might be able to gently caress without it being a real problem, but as soon as anyone finds out someone is loving a manager it will become a problem even if there isn't any special treatment

What if I threesomed a manager and a hostess while a server filmed it and a cook acted as my stunt cock?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Trebuchet King posted:

yeah in fairness i don't think amahd is talking like a one on one meeting but like a full blown all-hands staff meeting

Right but it's much more amusing to go with the other interpretation. Alternative facts bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chiming in on the drinking, I haven't had a drink in a month, and I don't need to. It's a very liberating feeling. Cutting out liquor for the next 6mos, let myself have a few beers on my Denver trip next week, but the desire to get smashed is just gone, because I could be doing better things.

Seriously dudes, get on brain drugs.

Except for the bottle of tequila you chugged while brain dead.