Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Skwirl posted:

It's legal for anyone over the age of 21 to buy marijuana in Washington state, no card required beyond ID proving your age. If you're in Seattle there's a poo poo ton of stores too, not sure what the availability is like outside the city though,

They're all over the place in the Tacoma area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Skwirl posted:

King County continues to be the best county.

Edit: Also apologies for having to live in Tacoma.

I love living in Tacoma and can barely stand going to Seattle for the most part. I'm sorry you think you're better than me because you live in Seattle. You're not by the way, but you'll be living in Tacoma in no time anyway just to afford rent, and I'll be forced to move to a place where the people aren't snotty judgemental fucks because Tacoma will be filled with people like you.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You will be firmly entrenched in silverdale by 2022

I will be moving south if I have to move. Probably end up in Lacey.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh come on, Kitsap is a very ... errrr... nice place.

Outside of any of the towns it's very pretty.

I couldn't deal with the toll on the bridge, and everyone I know is on this side of the bridge, accept for one person in Bremerton. All the other places is willingly move to other than Tacoma, in the whole entire country, I can't afford. Is South Philly affordable?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Errant Gin Monks posted:

There is a toll on the bridge now? Brutal.

Also no idea about South Philly but LA is completely unaffordable. That's why I live here!

They built a second bridge and charge $6 going from Gig Harbor to Tacoma. I'd love to move closer to my step dad in Ben Lomand, but Santa Cruz is unaffordable now as well. I guess I'll just keep going to school until I can get a job that allows me to live in a place I want to. Maybe I'll even be able to stay in Tacoma by that time.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Republicans posted:

God I love it when we have events with prime rib so I can make myself a prime rib dip with the leftovers.

How do you guys feel about "prime rib" being synonymous with any standing rib roast regardless of grade? I always feel a twitch of guilt over it even though I know nobody really cares.

I feel the same way, but select rib, or choice rib, doesn't have the same ring to it. I preferred to call it rib roast unless it is actually prime grade.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Got round trip tickets to Seattle in late Jan for the two of us for $500. What should I do in Seattle other than get high at the space Needle?

I try to go to The Diller Room and the Bathtub Gin Company whenever I'm in Seattle. The Diller Room still had an industry discount the last time I was there. Maybe check out Miller's Guild as well.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

Has anyone here worked for Raising Cane's, the chicken finger fast food company? I just visited on a whim and now I'm trying to figure out what the hell is going on with their founder.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_Cane%27s_Chicken_Fingers?wprov=sfla1

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
Maybe some ginger ale

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Salt bae silhouette

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

ApolloSuna posted:

I got gifted $900 in my budget for kitchen supplies. I basically have everything but I am grabbing a few 6 pans and lids etc. Anyone got any suggestions for random useful poo poo?

A butter wheel

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

JacquelineDempsey posted:

What say ye, thread?

I went through culinary school after being in the business for over 13 years. I did this to try and increase my wage, but I did learn a great deal. Surprisingly, it was mostly the areas that involved the basics that I learned the most.

After graduating, it did help that I went to culinary school, but not in a way I expected. I would no longer be called back for second, third, or working interview. I would go to an interview, and at the end they would say, "can you start today, like now." No extra pay though, even though I now had student loans to pay back. I eventually decided that the restaurant industry was not conducive to family life, or any life other than the restaurant life, so I called it quits.

I now work as a desk jockey answering phones, making appointments, and just performing general office monkey stuffs at one job. The other job I do the same, but I also get to play basketball, pool, and other activities with kids. I get paid the same, if not a little more, but I have nights, weekends, and holidays off.

The big difference is that I get treated like a human being at both of these places, and the work is much easier in every aspect. Everyone's mileage will very of course, but I'm still amazed at how little I do, and how well I get treated, and for the same or more money. I may even get use my culinary knowledge to teach kids cooking classes at some point.

I have made incredibly horrible decisions in life, so that may be a determining factor. Just my 2¢.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
I actually like my two part-time jobs that I have now, so that's a plus.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Mithross posted:

I am looking into actually hiring someone to do my resume. I'm breaking out the big guns to ditch this place.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
I'll get in on this. I was cooking huge batches of pasta for a pasta feed. We would dump the pasta into the prep sinks, put buckets of ice on top, and mix it up to shock the pasta. While mixing the pasta with gloved hand, an ice cube melted to a razor sharp edge on one side, which proceeded to slice through my glove and under one of my fingernails. There was blood everywhere, and we had to scrap two cases worth of cooked pasta.

This had to be tied as the most painful cut I have ever received. The other was when I was cleaning out semolina from in between the gates on the grill from grilling off hundreds of pizza crust for flatbeds with a steak knife, which was the best tool we had for the job. While running the steak knife between the grates, it caught in something, and my hand slipped down the handle, and the nicely dulled serrated edge of the steak knife sliced my thumb open right down the center. Not only did it cut me, but it burned the cut, and packed it full of soot from the grill.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
I have used When I Work at a previous job, and it worked well. It wasn't a restaurant though.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
If you aren't stealing from your employer, you're stealing from your family and yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
Also, if the employee is driving their own car to deliver the order, they need to be paid at least 56¢ per mile on top of their wage.