Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i like gin

letherbee gin is my usual choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

I'm at a hotel bar in Chicago drinking laphoraig and loving around with linux getting ready for an interview tomorrow. Empty quote this if you're one of the nerds sitting behind me.

I'm not empty quotin you but I'm in Chicago at a fire in my back yard

you should take the Chicago job houses are cheap here

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

are we allowed to talk about good Michigan ciders like virtue and vander mill

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

that is what the boomers should do

die

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

this is on my bucket list, the list of things that might make me kick the bucket

I try to inflict malört on as many people as I can, pm me your mailing address and (as long as you're in the states) I'll ship you a bottle in a month or so when I get to Binny's Beverage Depot and the UPS store

I'm going to a gay campground during the eclipse and have a bunch of extra glasses and I'm giving them away as long as you take a shot of malört first

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm at a bar working my way down the cheap adjunct lager list because gently caress it today is terrible

corona is ok, doesn't taste like much
Stella is fine I guess, also doesn't taste like a lot
red stripe tastes like cardboard? :confused:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

smoking is fuckin' gross, keep it the hell out of my drinking thread

:agreed:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

there's a bar in the Chicago board of trade building called Ceres

if you order a dark and stormy (or most classic two-ingredient cocktails)
you will be asked if you want the mixer on the side. if you say yes, this is what you get

here's a gin and soda

and if you say "poo poo I don't need to get that drunk, I'll have a beer?"

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

idk Myers's is p good too

and maybe a local craft ginger beer but goslings is probably the best one which can be easily acquired.

crabbies alcoholic ginger beer is also a choice and not a terrible one

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i didn't say anything about your friend, alcoholism

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

hi. im at the bar.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Beast of Bourbon posted:

get a double of malort, neat.

I've lived in Chicago proper for 8 years and the greater Chicagoland area my entire life.

no thanks. I'll break it out when friends are in town but otherwise

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

voted everything but vodka

https://twitter.com/AmericanDrink/status/101455658649534464

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

i wish cocktails would become cool again

every time i order a manhattan i get a weird look because most millenials only order cocktails they saw their hero, the alcoholic don draper, order on the hit tv show "let's be nostalgic for sexism"

the craft cocktail scene is alive in Chicago, there are four high-end cocktail-only bars I can name

the tiki scene is alive too

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

prefect posted:

cary grant had a gibson in north by northwest, which makes it even more awesome than it already was

quote:

I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

tiki bars attract parrotheads. hard pass.

ours attract hipsters and yuppies, they’re too “in the city” to attract suburban parrotheads

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

did someone say Gibson

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

let’s chat about soju, i like it

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

we’re getting an H-Mart downtown soon so I hope I can start getting it really cheap without having to go waaaaaay to the northwest side to koreatown

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

fart simpson posted:

mulled wine is a pretty good not cold alcohol imo

chicago office drone tradition: go to Daley plaza and get tanked on glühwein drank from boots under the Picasso during your lunch break in December.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

You said it random sign in the bar

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

bombay sapphire FTW

a bad gin for vodka drinkers

try letherbee if it’s available near you, it is a good American gin!

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

malört is really really bad if you drink it stone-cold sober

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

letherbee makes solid stuff, and Bësk is higher proof too

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

there’s a distillery out in Hawaii called Koloa that makes an amazing dark rum especially for an American distillery

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i am at the bar right now, I think I will order Hennessy because it’s cold outside and brandy sounds good and that’s all they have

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i am in new orleans rn and all i’m doing is drinking and eating this is great

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

roboshit posted:

how do you drink beer without getting fat

go on beer tasting cycling tours

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Resting Lich Face posted:

Gin is never the correct answer to anything except the question: "what is the worst liquor?"

good gin is very good and also a spirit that very young distilleries can actually make without either lying about it our sourcing it from somewhere else (lol whiskey)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i installed one of those wall bottle openers and put a neodynium magnet right under it on my back porch to catch bottlecaps it was a very good idea

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

new "bar rescue" season continues to be entertaining af, like how do these know nothing dipshits go into the bar business

my favorite Bar Rescue story is Hopleaf in Chicago. it's a really great beer bar with awesome food, probably the oldest high-end beer bar in the city (the first was quenchers but it sadly closed last year)

they've offered to "rescue" Hopleaf twice now, and the owner always goes :confused: what are you talking about.

also they tried to get the guy who runs Hopleaf on as a consultant too lmao

quote:

The Hopleaf Bar's Michael Roper is very proud of his nearly 25-year-old Andersonville bar and restaurant. Customers laud the vast beer selection, food and that it's a rare haven without televisions blaring sports. So imagine his disbelief on Friday when the folks from Spike TV's "Bar Rescue" came calling, asking if Roper wanted the Hopleaf on the TV show to help business. The caller supposedly told Roper he would get some "free remodeling out of it."

"I don't know that we are in need of such, of being saved," Roper said he told the caller.

Roper says "Bar Rescue" called him to appear on the show before, in 2011, and he says he also declined a chance to be a consultant for the show, as that would require him to stay on set for eight-hour days without compensation. "They said I'd get exposure," Roper laughed.

https://chicago.eater.com/2016/2/29/11130440/hopleaf-bar-rescue-tv-show-rejection

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i went on the company canoe trip and saw several of my coworkers get unreasonably falling over drunk. it probably didn't help that it was like 95°F and sunny and everyone was heckin dehydrated

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Shaman Linavi posted:

dinner and drinks at 3 floyds

is good

I’ve always wanted to bike down there from Chicago

i somehow got very drunk unexpectedly and i don’t know who or what to blame. i only had like 2.5 drinks, I shouldn’t be this drunk

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

hi I am drinking my third letherbee gin and tonic

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

going to the bar with a close friend in a couple hours, he’s going through a divorce and my relationship keeps yoyoing between Really Weird and Okay so i expect to be very drunk

i’ve also been craving salt all day so i’ll probably eat like two pounds of tater tots

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

lol hi i am pretty drunk! the waitress missed an order and gave us allagash white instead of off color apex predator so we got a round comped and omg I kinda want to throw up

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

it’s not bad in hot cider, just hang onto it until winter

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

went out drinking with some cishet white make coworkers who are all very aware of how lovely everything is for not-cishet white men in the tech industry but also treated me (an out but early-in-transition transfem enby) like “one of the guys” which was super weird in general so yeah my night was weird but also a little productive? we all concluded my boss has no loving clue what he’s doing and that’s why we keep hemorrhaging people.

also I started out the night drinking really good cocktails and ended it drinking high life and watching people sing karaoke

e: and somewhere in there was a shot of well gin and jeppson’s Malört and in not sure which was worse

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 16, 2019

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

can you explain what you mean by "one of the guys"? i'm genuinely curious. i don't want to treat someone in a way they're uncomfortable with

really a lot of it is "don't get so drunk you forget that the out trans person next to you is trans"

he didn't fall into misgendering, but it was more of the whole getting drunk enough that he's just got his arm around my neck because he can't stand up anymore

yes i'm 6'3" but still there are other people here who would also be fine with you doing that and i'm just weirded out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Is there feuerzeugbohle or whatever they're called? I always liked those.

the one in Chicago is christkindlmarket, all the office drones spend their lunch breaks in the cold drinking mulled wine, it’s fun