Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Pander posted:

The main character's entire unit went down, he was barely past teenage years, and he had some form of ptsd. He just wanted to live, didn't care about winning the war or good order and discipline and stiff upper lip and all that poo poo. His friend is a French man of uncertain background. The only verified lovely deserters are the guys in the boat, and who knows their story.

There's not a very exciting movie here if you stick with one guy just sitting in a queue on the beach for a week straight waiting for his eventual ride out without several life or death escapes.

The people we follow are tangential to just showing a kinda crazy week in war. I don't think their flawed decision-making or lack of dialogue was a bad thing. This wasn't trying to be a melodrama like every bit of Saving Private Ryan past the beach. It didn't need drama.

And the nonlinear time scales were the only reasonable way to let us focus on a single enthralling dogfight and sortie without the pace being wonky. Integrating the three storylines together was a neat quirk, but probably not necessary I agree.

I've never been in war so I don't know jack, but I've read a pretty decent amount on WW2. Shell shocked/PTSD soldiers don't actively conspire and avoid the chain of command. Our main characters, rather than try to find a commanding officer and be told where to report to, took the initiative and attempted to fraudulently self-evacuate by impersonating stretcher bearers, and then dunking themselves in the water to make like they were survivors from the sunken hospital ship. PTSD/shell shocked guys would have just gone catatonic and sat down on the beach. These guys actively conspired and willfully avoided the chain of command, thus the only real indication of their humanity we have to go on is that they are selfish scoundrels. I'm saying the true story of Dunkirk must have been the incredible general adhesion to discipline. 300,000 people don't get off a beach in nine days without a pretty good level of discipline and organization. But with Nolan's portrayal you might come away with thinking it was a kill-or-be-killed madhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Class Warcraft posted:

Except the big climax where all the timelines meet is the bombing of the minesweeper which:
A) is basically a repeat of a scene we already saw (the hospital ship getting bombed)
B) almost tensionless since none of the characters we'd been following are even on that ship

It was so baffling to me when watching it that he went to all that trouble to set up three timelines and the big payoff is all the characters watching a repeat of something we saw earlier happen again to someone else.

But seeing the events through the different character's eyes gave a different perspective or new information, which was the entire point.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

The camera focused on two deserters, but you see endless lines of soldiers showing discipline and order all around them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it was to show a different perspective. We've all seen war movies where discipline is tight and everyone's fighting for God or country.

Could also be a contrast to the captain of the Moonstone, who was probably a veteran and seemed dedicated to honor and order. But then again he ignored an order by not waiting for the navy to board his boat.

So perhaps it's a war movie where everyone acts in their own interests for good or bad.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also Nolan just tends to like to focus on, to varying degrees, the more rear end in a top hat'ish inclined charters.

The Prestige, Memento, Batman, Inception, Insomnia.

Can't remember interstellar that well, but I'm sure at least a few of the main cast were assholes in that.

It may mis represent history a bit, but it does make for a bit more of an interesting film.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The film goes out of its way to say that the only heroes are the people who put aside their own chances of survival for the sake of others, be they pilots, fishermen, or the Commanders of the evacuation. Everyone else is simply existing, and trying to survive in a literal hell. Was what some of them were doing lovely? Yes. Were they lovely for doing it? The film is saying that you have no right to judge. Just as it doesn't ask you to judge the far, far greater number of men it shows acting with discipline and 'courage'.

It goes to great lengths not to cast anyone as a villain. That's why there are no Germans, just a reference to "The Enemy," the villain of the film is the situation. Everyone else is just a victim reacting in entirely human ways.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Could also be a contrast to the captain of the Moonstone, who was probably a veteran and seemed dedicated to honor and order. But then again he ignored an order by not waiting for the navy to board his boat.

The guy the Moonstone captain was based on was indeed a vet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lightoller

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Are Messerschmitts larger than Spitfires? The way Nolan filmed them (especially the POV shots where Hardy is shooting at them) make them seem like massive, slow, hulking bombers. The plane that was strafing everyone at the end was a Messerchmitt, right? Were any other German planes featured?

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

Are Messerschmitts larger than Spitfires? The way Nolan filmed them (especially the POV shots where Hardy is shooting at them) make them seem like massive, slow, hulking bombers. The plane that was strafing everyone at the end was a Messerchmitt, right? Were any other German planes featured?

There were actually three kinds of German planes in this movie - Messerschmitt 109s (single engine fighters with yellow noses), Stukas (which were the single engine dive bombers with the pants-making GBS threads siren screaming as they came in on the beach, Tom Hardy took one out while he was gliding), and a Heinkel 111 (this is the twin-engined plane that was bombing the ship at the climax).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hardy's amazing gliding kill and victory jaunt along the beach is about the most fantastical thing in the film.

Yeah I would love to know if any WW2 pilot had a deadstick kill.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

monster on a stick posted:

The guy the Moonstone captain was based on was indeed a vet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lightoller

I just discovered that the actual boat that guy used is still around. I wonder if it has a cameo in the film.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jewmanji posted:

"Massive, slow, and hulking" isn't a half-bad description of a Stuka. They're noticeably larger than a Spitfire, notoriously slow, and look like flying tanks because they have a fair bit of armor and they need to be really strong to survive pulling up after dive bombing. Spinky fighters like the Spitfire/Bf-109 might lose their tail if you tried the same maneuver.

I think they filmed all the planes at fairly low speeds and sped everything up in post, so that probably accounts for some of the oddness. I do remember thinking that the He-111 appeared menacingly slow as it crawled through the sky towards the ship. Almost insolent in a way - didn't that ship try getting an AA gun on target?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Saw this movie at the imax (?) screen at the chinese theatre in LA and the soundtrack was freaking awesome as hell and the bass owned big time

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jewmanji posted:

BF-109s are actually pretty small planes. The mockup used in this film is a spanish built HA-1112, which is the basic airframe of a BF-109 except it has a Rolls-Royce Merlin engine in the front, which makes the nose a fair bit bulkier than a standard 109. In the film the HA-1112 is representing an E-series 109, which was more blunt nosed than later variants.

The dogfights in the film took place at extremely low altitudes, which makes any plane seem slow and ponderous due to wind resistance. Generally dogfights between fighters and bombers take place well above 4 kilometers where the air is thinner and planes get much more maneuverable.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah I would love to know if any WW2 pilot had a deadstick kill.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too, or indeed any pilot at all. A Spitfire, like pretty much any dedicated fighter, could completely dunk on a Stuka without breaking a sweat, but doing it without an engine is pretty incredible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Erich Hartmann maybe.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Trans Ferdinand posted:

Made me cry twice though. Good use of Nimrod.

Same. They slowed it down and made it really kick you in the chest when it swelled with the imagery.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

dr_rat posted:

Can't remember interstellar that well, but I'm sure at least a few of the main cast were assholes in that.

Oh, it had the biggest rear end in a top hat of all the assholes he's written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSW47_Qm7YY

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Oh, it had the biggest rear end in a top hat of all the assholes he's written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSW47_Qm7YY

That scene was goddamned amazing in IMAX.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That scene was goddamned amazing in IMAX.

I really wish I'd been able to see Gravity and Interstellar in IMAX.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

I really wish I'd been able to see Gravity and Interstellar in IMAX.

I was thinking about seeing Gravity in IMAX and my wife nixed it. I'm actually a bit glad -- it would have been a bit overwhelming to spend an entire ninety minutes unable to escape vertigo without closing your eyes. A regular screen gave enough of a visual ground to prevent the movie from basically being an hour-and-a-half panic attack.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I only saw Gravity in 3D, not imax, and it was far and away the best movie I've ever seen in 3D. It used it flawlessly and it really added to the experience. Imax would have been a trip. It's not at all the same movie at home on a TV.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Lol when I saw Gravity in IMAX, at the beginning before the shuttle comes across the screen, you hear their radio transmissions first. I remember thinking some jackass behind me was on his phone.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
Just saw this, late as hell yeah but here's my impression:

Best Sound Mixing and Editing
Best Cinematography
Best Director
Best Picture? (not likely but it gets a nod)

If Dunkirk does not win the top 3 I'd be shocked.

I'm a big fan of movies like Saving Private Ryan and Hacksaw Ridge for not pulling punches with how brutal war can be. Dunkirk is better than both of them, this movie is very innovative and bold. It shows you can portray the stress and horror of war without so much as a single pool of blood or excessive use of shaky cam. Besides,this movie avoided Corny war movie clichés like the plague and I love it, no campfire home nostalgia exposition dumps. Who needs dialogue when you have stuka divebombers and people drowning?

I will never forgive myself for not watching this in 70mm when I had the chance. Goddamnit.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
If Hans Zimmer doesn't win for best score I'm going to break poo poo

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

david_a posted:

"Massive, slow, and hulking" isn't a half-bad description of a Stuka. They're noticeably larger than a Spitfire, notoriously slow, and look like flying tanks because they have a fair bit of armor and they need to be really strong to survive pulling up after dive bombing. Spinky fighters like the Spitfire/Bf-109 might lose their tail if you tried the same maneuver.

I think they filmed all the planes at fairly low speeds and sped everything up in post, so that probably accounts for some of the oddness. I do remember thinking that the He-111 appeared menacingly slow as it crawled through the sky towards the ship. Almost insolent in a way - didn't that ship try getting an AA gun on target?

The He-111 was a scale model, as were all the Stuka shots. There was a lot of Spitfire and 109 models as well but most of the stuff from them was legit full size, either slowed down so the helicopter could be involved or at a reasonable safe speed for performing un-rehearsed maneuvers.

D C fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
Good poo poo. I'm excited to see the BTS footage on the Blu-ray

• Locked thread