Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fargin Icehole posted:

Nah. I think RoF was cool. I was craving that rematch between Goku and Frieza that we got denied right on the beginning of the android saga

dr.acula posted:

What I would give to see a movie about the time-line Goku showed up to fight Freeza and his Dad

We'd just had 80 episodes of Goku fighting Frieza, people really wanted to see it again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I really wanted Frieza to die by the end of Namek and not because he was a bad person.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I didn't die I just stopped watching the show when Buu got fat again.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Covok posted:

They were doing a fight between the namekian who is just all the namekians fuse together and has no personality other than stoic and that villain from the FMV video game. Then Babidi unleashed all the villains under mind control with all of the heroes who can defeat them gone via magic teleportation.

That's it. The entire fan comic takes no risks and, despite actually doing infinite universes instead of just 12, it actually has less variation and less original ideas because everything just assumes that the main series happen but one change occurred. With those changes being really boring and fanfiction-y. Like, what if all the namekians fused to beat freeza. Or, what if Vegito never unfused. It's all really lame.

Then compare it to Super which has used the universe concept to introduce dozens of new characters with unique new powers and personalities to challenge the heroes. It's introduced an entire Celestial bureaucracy to create a looming unbeatable threat. It took risks and gave new ideas and interesting new characters I don't just feel like fanfiction.

Well DBM is doing classic alternate universes so of course they're all very similar, while in Super you could replace the word universe with galaxy or even planet and nothing of significance changes in the story.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 11, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wuxi posted:

Congratulations, you achieved an even more boring gimmick than sassassin

What's my boring gimmick that's got you so worked up?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Burkion posted:

So yeah, I think it's just the manga being stupid.

Both versions are incredibly stupid.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Does anyone actually enjoy watching Goku not fight properly in order to (in-universe) pad things out? 17 seems to be getting a lot of credit lately for doing the opposite so maybe it's not just me who finds it really annoying.

I watched the last two episodes but missed a big chunk before that , so maybe I'm wrong but this tournament seems ridiculously uneven with our team overwhelmingly superior (except baby Krillin). Goku needs to start fighting the heavens sooner rather than later to make things interesting. Maybe he'd even have to go super saiyan to do it!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Burkion posted:

Sass come on man.

They literally discussed this. WE discussed this. If they wear themselves out going max power against everyone all the time, the really strong guys like Jiren who are doing poo poo all will roll them when the real fight comes.

The Androids explicitly call out why they can go ham 24/7

THey're loving cyborgs with infinite stamina and energy. They can always go ham

Yes, there are justifications both in-universe and in-production.

My question was "are you entertained?" Does this endear you to noble Son Goku, The Doom-Bringer, scourge of galaxies, harbinger of death?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It would definitely make the Pride Troopers more antagonistic if they sided with the Gods against Goku/Hit/Gohan etc.

Is that justice?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

You are an annoying idiot who claimed you stopped watching the show, so there's no particular reason for you to still be posting about watching it.

I did stop watching it.

But I'll dip back in when reviews are especially good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Goku is on the final stretch of his long con to kill the gods for Justice.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I really want 17 to win it all using his special moves of 1) not waiting around for nonsense and 2) helping his teammates.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Also in that Yamcha manga couldn't Yamcha have wished to be saiyan to stay relevant past the saiyan arc? There were three wishes on the dragon balls he could have used.

That's almost as hosed up as fusing tbh.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Goku already has like 5 transformations beyond what he's using to eliminate people. Seems silly to give him another new one.

Where's Piccolo's new super giant form?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Josuke Higashikata posted:

would like to learn of a concept called "merchandising"?

It is the enemy of art.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Blockhouse posted:

Herms is translating a bunch of stuff on twitter tonight including the new manga chapter, which is Vegeta focused

also in case anyone thinks mortal level still has to do with power level the WSJ scans have blurbs on the universes exempt from the tournament, saying U1's level is so high because most of its population are pure spirits, while U8 (the fox god of destruction's universe) actively destroys anything that might lower its level

Tear it all down.

Come on, Goku, kill all these gods.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A good show would have Worf'd Hit instead of just having our "heroes" stomp all-comers into the dirt after some technobabble.

I really, really, really want Goku to get eliminated soon and in an embarrassing way that he never emotionally recovers from.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Raserys posted:

*granny goku voice* DADADADADADADADADADADA

*granny gohan voice* DADADADADADADADADADADA

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kild posted:

The color of Bulma's panties change three times during the General Blue Saga which took place all in one day giving her no chance to change her underwear let alone her clothes. Her underwear is plain white in the episode "Kame House: Found!". Her underwear is shown again inside the Pirate Cave in "The Trap is Sprung" where they are white but with strawberries on them and, the final time, in "The Pirate Treasure" when she strips down to them to swim where they are completely red.

Dragonball is magical realism. The panties are metaphor.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Vegeta's English voice is bad.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Firstborn posted:

/\/\/\ Is it about another dumb Super Saiyan form?

Did Toriyama design Cabba? When there were split-screen shots of him and Vegeta the difference in design became very clear. Some of the compositions of the art also look very un-DBZ... there's that slick effect where the characters "lengthen" to emphasize motion which looks very Naruto or something. When they flash back and for instance they showed Vegeta vs. Goku on Earth I find myself missing super-buff Goku. I know in the later half of DBZ they got away from it, but nostalgia is a hell of a thing.

Wanna see Tien snap these twiglet alt-universe Saiyan children in half then give them some friendly tips on how to build muscle.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You really think the latter examples are better writing?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
But does he say babe in the manga?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Blaze Dragon posted:

That last hit of Blue Goku's ultimate should be the Dragon Fist, it's nearly the Dragon Fist. It's only lacking the golden dragon.

10x Kaio-ken God Kamehameha followed by Dragon Fist would be the most epic move Goku ever half-copied from someone else.

I recognise most of these words but cram them all together and I'm lost.

Is Nappa in the game yet?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Drinking juice isn't great for getting in shape.

Injecting it is amazing, though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A lot of Toriyama's ideas are garbage and he benefited greatly from listening to the good advice of his editors.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Junpei Hyde posted:

I hope one of the pride troopers has a big heroic speech so the dub can change it to I AM THE HOPE OF THE UNIVERSE

I think the fat one has abandoned his goody two shoes gimmick now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
As long as u7 don't teach them how to put on muscle mass Goku and fiends should stay on top.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Frieza was more than half machine at that point and we know(1) that android power levels cannot be sensed by the z-fighters(2).

So of course King Cold would feel stronger to Son Goku's mediocre son.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When during the show is the sensed ki or "power level" an objective indicator of a character's combat power?

It is explicitly misleading more often than not.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's not. scouters were because they couldn't tell when someone was hiding their power, but actually sensing power was always right

Androids.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Misread.
Me now:

Why did you edit your correct post?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Alan_Shore posted:

Like, literally every time a new villain shows up, and everyone starts quaking in fear of their HUGE KI. Like, every time.

No one quakes in fear at the androids huge ki.

They quake in fear at King Cold's huge ki and he dies begging like a bitch having shown only a sword-growing ability.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
No one quakes in fear when Garlick Jr. shows up during DBZ either. No one even notices for a while.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
So "literally every time" really means "except for all these times which don't count because *reasons*"?

Power levels and energy sensing aren't infallible in DBZ in general and in the Android/Cell saga in particular. I wouldn't worry about King Cold's potential ability to train for 3 months and unlock super frieza green form.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Manatee Cannon posted:

filler doesn't count, no. the andoids are an excpetion in universe and it was a plot point that was explained

There's literally a cyborg in the sequence that prompted this discussion.

All filler is canon. Read the text as it exists.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How would you build a robot to have detectable chi?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you read the text, garlick jr isn't there

if you watch the show, he is (unless you watched kai in which case he still isn't)

'Reading the text' in my post refers to the act of interpreting the show Dragonball Z, not literally reading a printed text that it was adapted from sorry for the confusion.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Jesus christ who let these scrubs enter a real tournament?

gently caress off rapist Roshi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lupus Rufus posted:

I was cheering for Super Birdman in the second half of that episode tbh.

Same.