Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

SatansOnion posted:

for the Nature Boy, losing a buttload of blood and cutting promos was/is an average Tuesday :v:

also, the mat in that first picture is a veritable Jackson Pollock of appallingly gross stains

The only thing Flair could cut better than promos was his forehead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

The only thing Flair could cut better than promos was his forehead.

He cut his forehead like his promos - very well but without subtlety

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Gavok posted:

Sid left Hogan to get beat up (Hogan ended up fine) and then busted up Brutus Beefcake's barbershop. As a build to a match, that would usually be passable, but Hogan gave up his WrestleMania title match for this! He decided that fighting Sid was more important than 1) challenging for the championship and 2) getting revenge on the guy who cost him the championship twice over!

Jack Tunney shrugged his shoulders and decided, "Whatever, Savage has nothing going on. Make him #1 contender by default." And that's how we got Savage vs. Flair.

...I mean, it's not like 'Former champion and de facto #1 contender abandons title shot for personal issue' didn't have precedent in the WWF as early as the year before with Warrior's Means Much More Than This career match with Savage so I don't really see this as too much of a stretch.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I really liked Tatanka as a kid. Hell, I still like Tatanka. He was never great, but he was a Perfectly Acceptable Wrestler pushed very well.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CubsWoo posted:

...I mean, it's not like 'Former champion and de facto #1 contender abandons title shot for personal issue' didn't have precedent in the WWF as early as the year before with Warrior's Means Much More Than This career match with Savage so I don't really see this as too much of a stretch.

That was before the company did the contractual rematch thing. Warrior was never identified as #1 contender, especially to the point of press conferences and promotional graphics. Once he lost that title, he was immediately shifted to the next feud.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

edit: nvm

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 11, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We go to the back where Mooney is with Jimmy Hart and the new tag team champions, Money Inc.! Yes, as we're already aware there's been some significant changes since Royal Rumble and the belts are now held by Ted DiBiase and Irwin R. Schyster. They'll be defending against the Natural Disasters tonight and Jimmy claims to know all of their weaknesses. But how do you plan to fit a McDonalds drive through inside the Hoosier Dome? Mooney warns them that the Disasters want to make “a sizeable withdrawal” but DiBiase responds that “you don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind and you don't write cheques you don't have the funds to cover”. IRS adds that it's “tax time, which means it's time to pay up”. Aww, DiBiase finally got something new to do that's not Virgil. And this team makes so much sense as well.

I bet the extra tax rates to cover the value of a title belt are a bitch

Meanwhile, Zombie Mean Gene is with the Disasters who are in a fiery mood. Typhoon calls Jimmy “a beady eyed little cockroach” which is an amazing description of him and probably the highlight of Typhoon's career. He says that they've got a surprise for him but Earthquake interjects that the time for talking is done. The two big men slap at each other's chests to get themselves fired up and head off to the ring. Something seems to be different about the way these two are being presented but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Tag Team Title Match
The Natural Disasters vs. Money Inc. w/ Jimmy Hart

Oh god, the Disasters are faces now! How the gently caress was this allowed to happen? I can only assume there was a mishap in the back involving mixed-up script pages because this is a terrible idea. And not just because it means I have to cheer for Earthquake. But seriously we've already got LOD around to be the focus of the tag division so having another monster face team doesn't work. Not to mention the Disasters' characters are mean angry shouty men and don't really fit as faces. Not to mention not to mention how the hell is anyone going to believably isolate one of these guys for a build to a hot tag. Not to mention not to mention not to mention how the gently caress am I gonna cheer for Earthquake?

The gimmick's not so impressive when you're using one-dollar bills

In a move designed to annoy me Money Inc. come out first despite being champions. They're look amazing together and they're using DiBiase's theme because this is team basically is just an excuse for DiBiase to find new people to be a prick to. The Disasters follow them out to zero reaction from the crowd. That's the first time this crowd has been dead all night so I think that speaks to how successful this face turn is going. One lady in the crowd has got a sign for the Disasters though and when Heenan sees her he exclaims that “she should be at home doing the dishes”. Hey, that woman has a right to be here and express her support for whichever poo poo wrestler she chooses! Ugh, defending someone's right to support the Disasters. This is what you've reduced me to, WWF.

The bell kicks us off as Earthquake powers DiBiase into the corner and then starts going nuts all over both him and IRS with a series of clotheslines. The Disasters clash Money Inc.'s heads together and Typhoon follows up with a hiptoss on IRS. Meanwhile, Gino and Heenan are still arguing about Flair because even though that was two matches ago they will not let this poo poo go. And while they're assaulting my ears Typhoon is assaulting my eyes with a singlet so tight his nipples are sagging out of the sides. Ewwww, that looks so wrong.

Talk about your sideboob

Typhoon goes charging at DiBiase who ducks and Typhoon completely botches falling over the top rope. Whoops. Money Inc. connect with a double clothesline while Gino and Heenan continue to argue on commentary. I'm starting to feel sorry for Heenan here. Gino's being a huge douche with how much he's rubbing his face in it. Typhoon and DiBiase collide in a double clothesline and both men go down. The Disasters whip Money Inc. into each other and Typhoon hits a splash on IRS. Earthquake throws his baby tantrum and goes for the Butt Splash but Jimmy pulls IRS out of the ring. Money Inc. decide they've had enough and decide to take the countout loss so they just walk off to the back. Man, the Disasters really have some problems with this whole countout rule. At least they don't think they're the champions this time so that's progress.

This was a bad match and even though it was fairly short it still felt about three times too long. The dynamic between the two teams didn't really work and while I'm not as against these kind of bullshit finishes as much as most fans there's no way you should be doing one at Wrestlemania. I'm assuming this was the WWF booking on the fly to cover for an LOD injury but there had to be a better alternative than this. The Disasters are so limited in the ring that it really restricts the kind of roles they can have in a match and there's no way they should ever be faces. Or wrestlers in general.

In the back Zombie Mean Gene is with a man who's been missing from the thread for a long time, Burtus Beefcake. Nooooooooo. I don't think it's a coincidence that match quality in the midcard increased the moment Burtus disappeared but now he's back to stink everything up again. Zombie Mean Gene introduces him as “one of the all time greats”. What the gently caress? How much did he pay you to say that? Zombie Mean Gene brings up Burtus's friendship with Hulk which Burtus doesn't deny. He explains that him and Hulk have been everywhere from top to bottom but Hulk has always held his head up high and been a giving man. drat, that's an even bigger lie than Burtus being an all time great. Burtus wants to add his voice to the other 70,000 fans and vows that Hulkamania will live forever. Much like herpes. Bleh, this was a dull promo and seeing Burtus return is just depressing.

That is a waistcoat that Jesse Ventura would be proud of

Skinner vs. Owen Hart

We're immediately back in the ring with Owen up on the turnbuckle but when he turns around Skinner gobs up a load of tobacco right in his face. Skinner starts laying on a beatdown and hits a shoulderbreaker then follows with the Reverse DDT but just when I think this is Owen getting buried to gently caress he kicks out! No, instead Skinner throws him over the top rope but Owen skins the cat and rolls up Skinner to get the victory. It turns out this was Skinner getting buried to gently caress the whole time! What a shocker!

Geez, what the gently caress was this? This didn't help anybody. Even though Owen won he still kinda looked like a geek who pulled off a fluke upset while Skinner just became an absolute joke. Not that I'm bothered about him at all but it would have been nice to see Owen get to do an actual match here. This was so weird. It felt like they were really pressed for time but overall this show doesn't even break three hours so surely there had to be more they could do here. We didn't even get any loving entrances!

This is the closest thing in the match resembling action

Addendum: Again, eagle-eyed readers might have spotted that Owen is on his own tonight without his buddy Jim “The Anvil” Niedhart and that's because Anvil has gone and pulled a Marty and got himself fired for drugs. This is a real shame because while he was never going to be a big singles star he was such a reliable tag guy that and played a key factor in how great the Hart Foundation were. I've no doubt that his team with Owen would have been just as successful and popular if given the chance. He was a dumb happy fightman who really enjoyed smacking the poo poo out of people and at the end of the day that's what I want from my wrestling. With the state the current tag division this is going to be a big loss. Oh, Skinner's finished as well but who the gently caress cares about him?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So, the whole Money Inc tag champs situation... Man.

I mentioned earlier how even though only two months and a couple weeks happened in-between Rumble 92 and WrestleMania 8, it felt like six months with how much poo poo went on. Here's one of those reasons why. Money Inc became tag champs via an untelevised house show win before they were publicly a team! Legion of Doom failed a drug test, Money Inc were booked to beat them the night of their win and LOD were fired. With LOD gone, the Natural Disasters took their spots as unstoppable faces with the narrative being that Jimmy hosed them over by managing Money Inc and getting them that title shot. Keep in mind, we saw none of this. Just one day Sean Mooney takes a second to say "Ted Dibiase and IRS are a tag team now and they're tag champs and Earthquake and Typhoon are mad about it. Back to you, Gorilla!"

That promo at the beginning of the show with Paul Ellering was LOD's big return to the company. Even though they were at the last PPV! :psyduck:

Sadly, with Dibiase having an actual title, this is the end of the line for the Million Dollar Championship.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Rarity posted:

Geez, what the gently caress was this? This didn't help anybody. Even though Owen won he still kinda looked like a geek who pulled off a fluke upset while Skinner just became an absolute joke. Not that I'm bothered about him at all but it would have been nice to see Owen get to do an actual match here. This was so weird. It felt like they were really pressed for time but overall this show doesn't even break three hours so surely there had to be more they could do here. We didn't even get any loving entrances!

There's an entire match that ended up getting cut from this show for time, so they were definitely running long by the standards of the day. Is it a spoiler to say what scheduled match didn't happen? I won't say just to be safe.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Diabolik900 posted:

There's an entire match that ended up getting cut from this show for time, so they were definitely running long by the standards of the day. Is it a spoiler to say what scheduled match didn't happen? I won't say just to be safe.

Go for it, I either didn't know about this or have forgotten :)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Well it was Bulldog vs The Berserker, so we can probably be glad it didn't happen.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
As far as the LOD go, I think it was Hawk that was struck with a "Wellness Policy" violation to put it mildly (since of course it didn't exist back then).
The exact same thing happened the previous summer after WM7, which explains why the LOD weren't booked for the tag title match then.
Hawk was suspended for a couple of months while Animal wrestled single matches on house shows against Jerry Sags or Paul Roma.
He even partnered with the Big Boss Man a few times and they prob would have made them a new team if Hawk didn't get his poo poo together.

Royal Rumble 92 was basically Hawk's strike 2, and he was pulled off the road AGAIN and Animal went over Earthquake in a few singles House Show matches before they said gently caress it and switched the titles to Money Inc. at an untelevised Denver house show.
Then they teamed Animal with Bossman AGAIN before taking him off the road as well.
And yeah, that ended up with Natural Disasters pushed as the new monster babyface team since they didn't know if Hawk was ever coming back.
Surprisingly, the turn was reasonably explained in that Jimmy Hart screwed the Disasters over in favor of his shiny new team of Money Inc. (keep this in mind for later).

The LOD's big WM return here with Paul Ellering was pretty much their last shot, as Hawk and Vince McMahon had a very contentious relationship.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 18, 2018

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Money Inc was such a cool idea for a team. Of course Dibiase is rich because he's friends with an evil IRS agent. Of course he is

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

As a good British kid in a fairly left-wing family I never quite understood why the taxman was meant to be portrayed as the baddie. Naive, I know.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Money Inc is such a good idea I’m sure Vince kicked himself for not thinking of it earlier.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Diabolik900 posted:

Well it was Bulldog vs The Berserker, so we can probably be glad it didn't happen.

We dodged a loving bullet there

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Considering what we got for a WM main event, no we didn't.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

As a good British kid in a fairly left-wing family I never quite understood why the taxman was meant to be portrayed as the baddie. Naive, I know.

And now knowing Vince, it's incredibly obvious why he'd see the IRS as heels.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

IRS' debut saw him wearing brown, pinstripe tights. It lasted one match and was a sight to behold.

Couple of years before IRS' debut, Mad Magazine put out an issue with a mock WWF magazine cover on it. It's all I could think about when I saw IRS:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hot take: I'm pro-pipe for refs. Let them keep order by force if need be. :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We head to the back where Zombie Mean Gene is waiting with Sid Justice and his new buddy Harvey Whippelman. Zombie Mean Gene tries to ask a question but Sid interrupts him and calls him a “fat, bald-headed little oaf”. Hey, there will be no besmirching of our favourite corpse on my watch! Sid promises that this will be Hulk's last ever because “I am the master, you are but the learner”. However, Zombie Mean Gene is on hand to rain on Sid's parade and points out that Hulk has never officially confirmed that this would be his last match.

This leads up to a clip of a pre-taped interview between Vince McMahon and Hulk Hogan. Vince asks if WM8 will be Hulk's last match and he says the question makes him sweat. He hears people asking of he'll retire but he's proud of being able to balance his personal and professional lives. He's the only who can make the decision but he won't know until he's in the ring. Just in case this the end, Vince thanks Hulk for all the happy memories. So that's what? All three of them? This was actually a really chill, low-key interview and I really enjoyed it. Hulk wasn't in showman mode so it was like we got to see him as an actual person for a moment. It's a shame they've never done more things like this.

It's ok, Hulk, we all have sweatpants days sometimes

With the clip finished we return to Zombie Mean Gene and Sid who says he doesn't care about the memories because the only thing anybody will remember is that he's the man who ended Hulkamania. He curses all the Hulkamaniacs because he is the man that rules the world. No you're not, Sid. That would be Rupert Murdoch. Sid's promo style is so incredibly shouty, it's ridiculous. I thought we had reached peak shout with Earthquake but Sid is a whole new level. And why exactly is Harvey with him? He's contributing nothing here.

Sid Justice w/ Harvey Whippelman vs. Hulk Hogan

Right, so here's what I've managed to piece together about this match. There's not specifically a stipulation that Hulk retires if he loses like there was for Savage last year. Instead it seems they've just been hinting at rumours that Hulk feels like hanging up the boots. This reeks of desperation. It's like they've got no confidence in the prestige of this match or the storyline of the feud to sell the show. I can't really blame them though, this is not inspiring me at all. I have a feeling that this is going to suck.

We start with Finkel introducing Harvey, who has made his way to the ring suspiciously quickly. Finkel is full of scorn for this man and Harvey clarifies that he's “Dr. Harvey Whippelman!”. drat right, you put in the funds to pay for that doctorate you better have everyone mentioning it. Sid's music hits and Harvey gives him a hyped-up introduction. Somewhere in the world a young Paul Heyman starts warming up his vocal chords. As for Sid's theme, this is the first time we're hearing it and it's really generic early 90s rock. So very bland. There's a buttload of signs for Sid in the crowd so I'm guessing this whole 'Hulk might be going' thing isn't doing much for the fans. This seems to be true when Hulk comes out. He gets a decent pop but it's hardly the loudest of the night. Sid jumps Hulk as he gets to the ring and the two men brawl while 'Real American' continues to play which is a cool touch. Now I'm upset they always cut off the music as soon as somebody throws a punch. Hulk sends Sid to the outside and finishes up his entrance complete with posing. So much for that dastardly plan.

We kick off as Heenan drops an apt description of Hulk when he calls him “Just a human being! An annoying human being!” We're instantly back to the brawling as Sid beats on Hulk and then Hulk beats on Sid which sends him to the outside to stall. The two men push together for a test of strength which Sid comes out ahead on but Hulk eventually powers back out as the crowd starts to get a little louder for him. Sid shoves Hulk back into the corner and nails a chokeslam but instead of pinning him he wanders around and yells “do unto the man as he would do unto you” into the camera. I'm pretty sure Hulk would pin you, Sid! I'm starting to think our man here isn't exactly the brightest spark in the toolshed.

“Buddy Harvey! Now that’s not the sanctioned term we’re using for the symbol, just something we’ve been kicking around the office, but look at it. Doesn’t it… pop? Buddy Harvey...”

Sid turns his attentions back to Hulk and carries on with the beatdown, going so far as to smack Hulk with Harvey's manbag while the ref is distracted. I'm sure that Harvey's choice of foreign object was designed to get heat but I'm impressed to see a man so far ahead of the fashion curve here. Sid applies a trap squeeze but Hulk manages to fight out of it so Sid hits a sidewalk slam. Sid calls for the Jackknife Powerbomb which means it's time to answer that eternal question, has Hulk finally met a finisher he can't no-sell? Sid nails the move and Hulk doesn't jump right back up but he does kick out. Of course, we all know how the script goes from here. Hulk begins hulking up connects with a big boot and a body slam then follows with the Leg Drop. And Sid... kicks out?! The hell?! Harvey's up on the apron so Hulk grabs him and the bell's ringing for Jibble knows what reason and wait, what?

What the gently caress is this?

The gently caress is Papa Shango doing here?

quote:

INTRODUCING...

Wow ok, I did not expect to be doing an introduction this far into the main event but well, here we are. Papa loving Shango. Now I know absolutely nothing about Shango as a character but there is a future iteration of this wrestler that I'm very familiar with and that is, of course, the Godfather. When I first got into the WWF in 2000 he was already past his peak and slumming it in a tag team with D'Lo but even then there was something about the character that just stood out and it's not even the sexy women. Every time you saw him he was colourful and cheerful and win or lose he'd always be happy. He had a different vibe than anybody else around. You can say what you like about the problems with his gimmick (and I will at length once we get there) but you can't deny that this was the perfect match of performer with character. The Godfather made that gimmick pop so hard.

Of course, if we're talking about the Godfather in 2000 we can't forget about his stint as the third best member of Right To Censor. I remember being very disappointed when he first joined the group because I was a fan and this turn made him boring. Although now that I have the perspective of adulthood I can see the truth is that he was always a boring wrestler, he just found a gimmick that worked and with that stripped away he was back to being dull. I don't know, perhaps Shango will be the same. It's an interesting one because it's still a good five years before he pops in the Nation as Kama so I don't know how long we get Shango for but I hope it's a while. Everyone always jokes about him as being one of the heights of how cartoonish the early 90s gets and I want to get a decent look at what all the fuss is about.

WHAT THE gently caress PAPA SHANGO?

So Shango comes running down to the ring where he slides in and jumps Hulk from behind. Sid assists with the beatdown and the two men have Hulk tied up in the ropes under full control when...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5vvIc3-Kik

RAAAAAAARGHHHH!!!

OH gently caress IT'S THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR! He races down to the ring with his theme blaring and clotheslines Shango out of the ring. Sid grabs a chair and smacks Warrior with it then has a go for Hulk who grabs it out of his hands. The heels figure they've had the best chance and so go running off to the back leaving Hulk and Warrior to celebrate. Man, Warrior looks so tiny. I know he's off the juice cause of the steroid trial but it's like he's been shrunk in the wash. Oh, the official result is Hulk wins by DQ although I have no idea why because the bell was already ringing before Shango even appeared so apparently Sid got DQd for having his manager get attacked. Hulk and Warrior pose together while a whole load of pyro goes off around them. Well, I didn't see this ending coming.

Most of this match was bad but then the ending came along and went in such a batshit direction that I wound up being a bit entertained. Don't get me wrong, ending your main event of Wrestlemania on a DQ is definitely awful and they could have written something different with the same surprises but if you are going to go with a DQ then this is the way to do it. I never expected to see Warrior back so soon after his departure and I'm wondering how long we'll be able to sustain him, Hulk and Savage all at the top together. Something's going to have to give and it's gonna have to happen fairly soon.

It reads 'Ultimate Journey' but it's very tough to read so for once this feature exists to be literal

Addendum: Wow, there's another departure we need to talk about and that's Sid Justice. He will be back at some point but this is it for the moment. There's not much I can really say about him yet because his entire run consisted of a guest referee spot, a quick Rumble appearance and this match with Hulk. However, based on this limited view I stand by my opinion that he's not good. I suppose he looked pretty cool in the clips of him messing jobbers up but that didn't really translate to any of his PPV performances. I did like the bit where he destroyed the Barbershop and wound up covered in spunk but that's about it.

While there were a lot of fun moments on this show I think overall it rates pretty poorly because most of the actual matches are boring or worse with Bret/Piper being the only real standout. But then that still leaves us with Savage winning the title, Tatanka's debut, Warrior returning and Shawn's transformation, all of which were very cool to see. It felt like there was a lot of table setting and reframing going on here to prep us for the year ahead. It's tough to rate because I want to give it more Kanes but the matches really were not great on the whole so it's getting stuck with four.

/10

Addendum: You may be thinking that the last couple of shows have felt like a bit of a culling of talent and you wouldn't be wrong. The roster is in a huge state of transition and it's clear that change is fast approaching. But there's still one name that we need to call time on and that's the biggest name of them all. That's right, friends, this is the real final PPV for Hulk Hogan. We did it, friends! WE DID IT!

Before anyone gets too excited I should point out that Hulk's not quite done with us just yet but this is the end of his proper run and so I think it's only fair we call this what is: the end of the Golden Era. So now that we've reached the end how do I feel about Hulk Hogan? Well, when I started this thread I said that I couldn't stand 80s wrestling. I said that it was slow and clunky and boring. Looking back I can admit that I wasn't entirely correct about 80s wrestling but those words are still very accurate to describe Hulk. When things kicked off it did make sense for Hulk to be The Guy. Even though I didn't like him he was still the most popular dude around and he undeniably had tons of charisma. However, he held onto his spot for way too long and by the end of 80s he should have already been making way for the stars of future. But instead thanks to his politicking he stuck around stinking up the main event for year after year. He was a bad wrestler who's only fun matches were a result of booking choices rather than any skill involved on his part and as a character he was a whiny, self-centred narcissist who didn't deserve the adulation he received. Yet even with all of that it's still a fact that this dumb grapple sports entertainment that we all love wouldn't exist in the form it does. I wouldn't have the memories or the friends or the heroes that I do without him. Hell, this thread wouldn't even exist. So while I can't stand the guy I have to give him a very begrudging thank you for making all of this possible. Now please gently caress off forever.

Oh god, the last man standing from WM1 is Greg loving Valentine. Why?

Well, that's it. The Golden Era is finished. Over the course of the thread we've had some highs and some lows but I'm sure we can all agree it's been an absolute blast. But before we draw these festivities to a close I think it's only fair that we take a look back over the last seven years of shows to sum up the experiences we've lived through. So everybody get your gladrags on and come join me in the thread next time for the most important awards in wrestling history, the Rarities! There'll be tears, there'll be cheers and it's all happening right here!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Aw, we're ending the thread here? The rest of this year is interesting. Also one of the best matches I've ever seen is looming (and no further spoilers on that).

Also I think the story was Shango was supposed to run in there and break up the count on Hogan's legdrop. He did not get his cue on time, so Sid had to improvise and kick out. Which accidentally made Sid tougher than any man in WWF history. And then he quits WWF to play softball instead, because Sid rules

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 21, 2018

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Thank you for the thread, thank you for the reviews, and thank you... for Hulkamania!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DeathChicken posted:

And then he quits WWF to play softball instead

Ok this bit I never knew :psyduck:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rarity posted:

Oh god, the last man standing from WM1 is Greg loving Valentine. Why?

Tito Santana

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Rarity posted:

Sid supposedly loved softball, and was notorious for always getting "injured" right at the start of the season.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Also I think the story was Shango was supposed to run in there and break up the count on Hogan's legdrop. He did not get his cue on time, so Sid had to improvise and kick out. Which accidentally made Sid tougher than any man in WWF history. And then he quits WWF to play softball instead, because Sid rules

This is the supposed "official" line on what happened and it is actually total bullshit.

There was no way Shango just "missed" his cue, especially at WM with Vince standing at Gorilla position like a hawk.
Vince intentionally wanted Sid to kick out of the Legdrop (he was definitely the only one on WWF TV to do so at this point, since Hulk never actually hit the legdrop at WM6) since he wanted Sid to be the new Hogan and Vince wasn't sure if Hogan was actually coming back at this point (nor was he sure that Hogan wouldn't switch sides and stooge him out in the steroid trials).

But yeah this is a HUGE transition period and lots of poo poo going down behind the scenes due to politics, scandals, and the steroid trials and the difference this will make in the company is enormous. Compare the physiques and who's being pushed at WM 7 compared to WM9 for a prime example.

Rarity posted:

It's a bit of exaggeration, but this became a common theme for Sid.

In this case, there was more to it. Apparently Sid was brought in from WCW in the summer of 1991 (with a guaranteed WM main event in his contract). Vince essentially wanted to push him as the new Hogan, since Hogan wanted to semi-retire and become a big movie star, and the Warrior experiment was a bomb.
Sid told him he'd much rather be a monster heel, which soured their relationship.
Then Royal Rumble 92 happened, and Hogan freaked out about the crowd reaction and had a meltdown in front of Vince.
Sid sees this and gets pissed off and tells Vince that he can't "work" under these conditions, which put a further strain in the relationship.

Then after WM, Sid goes to work the European tour for 2 weeks and a program with the Undertaker (including a TV win over Taker filmed in Sheffield).
He comes back and is put against Warrior at the Boston Garden where Warrior beats him in a DQ gently caress finish in 4 minutes after kicking out of Sid's powerbomb.
Sid goes to the bookers and tells them the match is bullshit (he's not really in the wrong here) and they need to get to Vince and change the booking or else he going to bounce.
The next night in Baltimore, they do the same match so Sid basically goes home and plays softball for the rest of the season.

He doesn't come back until a year later, resurfacing in WCW (after 1 match in Global where he jobs to Harlem Heat in a tag match).

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 21, 2018

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

This is also when the famous playground rumor starts that this tiny man claiming to be Ultimate Warrior can't be him, look how tiny he is! Warrior died (possibly when Undertaker threw him in that coffin months ago), this is a new guy

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Also, his hair is different.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

So Vince basically gets hosed over 3 ways from Sunday here--in his own way he tried to pit Warrior, Sid, and Hogan all against each other and stabbed them all in the back one way or another and ended up eating poo poo for it.

--Warrior: hosed him over with his pay and booking as champ, and now needs to crawl back to him after Hogan's "retirement" at WM8

--Sid: Wanted him to be the new shiny monster face but got rejected. hosed him over with booking against Warrior so Sid left him high and dry.

--Hogan: Tried to push Warrior and Sid over him, but got hosed over by both. Now at this point Vince doesn't know what Hogan going to do to him in terms of his career or at the steroid trials

Takuan
May 6, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

This is also when the famous playground rumor starts that this tiny man claiming to be Ultimate Warrior can't be him, look how tiny he is! Warrior died (possibly when Undertaker threw him in that coffin months ago), this is a new guy

The version I heard as a kid was that he died in a motorcycle accident.

Shiki Dan posted:

So Vince basically gets hosed over 3 ways from Sunday here--in his own way he tried to pit Warrior, Sid, and Hogan all against each other and stabbed them all in the back one way or another and ended up eating poo poo for it.

Couldn't've happened to a nicer guy. :tipshat:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:( I'm going to miss this thread. I was always happy and excited when I saw there were a bunch of new posts, because that meant Rarity had updated and it was always a blast reading her commentary on this period of wrestling, even if she had some controversial opinions of folk like Earthquake and Dusty.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Shiki Dan posted:

words about Sid

Fair play to Sid, then, for arguing against being an all-conquering face. Sid definitely works better as a monster heel, no argument from me.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

At the very least he should never be the Hogan sort who sells all match, then comes back in the last minute and wins. I guess I could see it if it was more like Warrior's run, where he kicked the poo poo out of everyone barring heavy shenanigans

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Hogan, for all that he sucks, had a one of a kind mix of charisma and right place right time and no one was ever going to replace him. Steve Austin had the same sort of convergence years later, and no one could replace him either. Vince is forever chasing his last big star and he just occasionally lucks into something new. Time and money let you get away with that sort of poo poo.

Also, Rarity. It was a hell of a thread.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sid Vicious is an interesting figure in that a) he was an awful worker and shouldn't have gotten as many chances as did, but b) he screwed up every chance given to him early enough that it really didn't do any longterm damage to the promotion.

Before this thread, I didn't know much about the WWF's underneath feuds in this era. So that's been interesting. And I hope that someday that someone does a Crockett/WCW thread along these lines.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Will be sad to see this thread end. You sure you don't wanna tackle The New Generation?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I could see why Vince would want to make Sid his top face. The crowds just didn’t want to actually boo him. It’s fair to say he was not a good worker but he had a real presence about him. In his first run with WCW, fans just wanted him to annihilate jobbers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
He was kinda like Warrior in having a really great persona and image, pity about the wrestling part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Maxwell Lord posted:

He was kinda like Warrior in having a really great persona and image, pity about the wrestling part.

I'd rate him better than Warrior, which admittedly is a super low bar. Sid was a better heel character than Warrior was a face character.