Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think this might actually be one of the more watchable tournament-based WWE PPVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I haven't actually gone out and searched him out but Koko was apparently really good in Memphis.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I find that Jake's matches can be good if you're watching the TV angles along with the match and get into the booking but they're not that much to re-watch on their own.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Million Dollar Man was a great gimmick but I'm not sure Ted had that much great work as a worker in WWF. He did have a great program with Savage in 1988, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Just from the totally scientific method of looking at the Royal Rumble roster, 1995 had a much shittier roster than 1988 WWF.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
e) spoiler

Greg Valentine has like a hundred awesome IC title matches with Tito Santana from old Spectrum and MSG shows, he was one of the best WWF upper-midcard guys from the early 80s. He's definitely one of those guys who would have gotten recognized more as a great worker if we had more footage of him in his prime.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 24, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tito/Greg is possibly the best feud in the history of the IC title, check out some of those MSG house show matches if you can find them on Youtube in non-lovely quality.

Both Tito and Greg are hugely underrated (and both are getting props these days because of people rediscovering and remembering the IC title feud they had).

e) this is one of the best ones, just a classic 80s WWF steel cage match with a tremendously fun finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=novuJwwtx1E

Greg is, for whatever it's worth, the greatest WWF wrestler ever at doing forearm strikes. What Jerry Lawler was to punches in the US, Greg was at forearm strikes.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 24, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There are a lot of "No condition to perform" stories involving Greg on local indies. Greg kind of looks like a walking "no condition" these days.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
We don't have a lot of footage of late 70s Greg which was is usually agreed to be his peak. He's good enough in the early 80s against guys like Steamboat, Backlund, and especially Santana that it's pretty clear that if that's post-peak Greg, peak Greg must have been loving great.

He had a chance to jump to the NWA in 1988 and probably should have taken it. I would have loved to see Greg in 1989 Crockett.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 25, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC he was considered for the spot in the Horsemen that eventually went to Barry Windham. Barry was clearly better than Valentine (he was in consideration for best in the world in '88-'89) but Barry did have the right look for it, IMO. Remember he worked Crockett in the late 70s and was considered to be a great worker there.

minor 1992 rumble spoilers: Wrt Greg working with Flair in 70s JCP, one of my favorite moments in the 92 Rumble is when Greg comes in with Flair in the ring and they immediately start chopping the poo poo out of each other, like old times. They must have enjoyed the hell out of that

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 25, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
A lot of "face" cheating is just comeuppance for the heel. This is especially true when a heel faces a top guy, because for that to happen back then, it's usually after the heel ran through a bunch of lower card babyfaces, almost certainly while cheating.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hogan and Shawn deserved each other. They're both scumbags.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Shawn absolutely was and still is a scumbag.

Nothing worse than a total piece of poo poo who thinks he's found Jesus.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Rick Rude was one of the best wrestlers in the world for a few years.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gaz-L posted:

Does Dave even know what Most Overrated is supposed to mean?

Dave has always maintained that Most Overrated/Most Underrated should be "Most overpushed/Most underpushed"

btw Best Heel/Best Face were replaced with Best Draw because according to Dave the criterion was supposed to be "best heel/face at drawing crowds" and people were just judging it on promos.

e) and yeah, until like 1998 virtually any year Hulk won Most Overrated was moronic. Say what you want about Hulk but WWF (and even WCW for a while) wasn't wrong to make them their top star.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dustin is better than Dusty.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dustin is better than Cody but his best stuff was in zero-money 1992-93 WCW and as a tag team partner with Cody, and the middle part of his career is either gimmicky nonsense like Dusty or total garbage.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Randaconda posted:

Lol technical wrestling has never drew money, which is why Hulk Hogan is who he is, and why Lance Storm is who he is.

Technical wrestling drew insane amounts of money in the 20th century.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Someone just post a bunch of Bossman-In-Japan gifs imo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It depends. A lot of the time the face using nominally heel tactics to beat a big heel is justified because the heel either won dirty in a prior match, or because he's spent the buildup to the match running through the babyface side of the roster using dirty moves. I think people frequently make too much of a big deal out of "why is the top face beating the heel with a chair/belt/etc" though it can be done poorly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
One major problem with current WWE is that there aren't enough fat wrestlers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah because they kicked rear end and were around forever. Like a lot of people they hit WWF late in their career.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jerusalem posted:

You can't use Ric Flair as an example, because he's an extraordinary outlier - arguably the greatest Professional Wrestler who ever lived (and thankfully, still lives).

Ehh back then 40s was largely considered your peak drawing period.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
WCW 1994 was so good until Hulk came in. (in fairness, it wasn't very profitable until Hulk came in either)

Hollywood Hulk was loving awesome for like two solid years, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think this was one of the first submission matches on a major WWF card ever, so I always assumed the pinfalls were just to really rub it home to the folks in the back that "HEY PINFALLS DON'T COUNT IN THIS MATCH!!!! GET IT????"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also I love Valentine/Garvin, IIRC I gave it **** when I was watching old RR matches.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

purkey posted:

Naming the only black woman on the show Sapphire was so drat awful

Everything about Sapphire was awful.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

C. Everett Koop posted:

I know we're not supposed to post spoilers but if you've been displeased by WWE's handling of social issues then hoooooooooooooooooo boy are you in for a treat come Wrestlemania.

I wouldn't blame you if you up and quit the project in the middle of the show.

I thought you were talking about a spoiler for the upcoming WrestleMania in 2018 and I was wondering what it could possibly be

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wonder what Bill Watts would have thought of shoot-style.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lawler/Dundee is still not over.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best thing about Bossman was his verstility. He could be a complete shithead heel or a babyface-in-peril even at his size and he could make you believe it. He was one of those guys who you could put anywhere on a card and he'd deliver.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
didn't Sapphire place pretty highly in Worst manager in 1990? God Sapphire was bad

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Rarity's bias against big guy wrestlers should cause this thread to be shut down immediately IMO. Signed by the president of the John Tenta and Ray Traylor fan clubs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Rick Rude is one of the best wrestlers in the entire world in '92 WCW.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Everything Magee does looks so gentle in that match. Like my standards for "wrestlers where none of their moves look like they hurt at all" are Kofi Kingston and Lance Storm, but at least those guys are small. Magee is a big guy and is 100 times worse at being loose in that match.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
1991 is a really interesting WWF year, there's a mix of great stuff along with the most offensive main event angle WWF ever did, arguably.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IDK if this is a "japanese crowds are silent and respectful" stereotype but one thing i've heard about stuff like a Warrior match i've seen in Japan is that if they do the "wooooOOOOOOOH" thing leading up to a wrestler's big move it's usually sarcastic/derogatory

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Koko B Ware owned.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dustin was a fantastic, fantastic wrestler from 92-94, you could accuse him of being bland, but he worked his rear end off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
who was the worst wrestler Paul Heyman fooled the ECW fans into thinking they were good, either guy from Public Enemy?