Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

Wrestlemania VII: America, gently caress Yeah! Freedom Is The Only Way, Yeah!

This was the first PPV I ever saw. The first ever wrestling I ever saw was an episode of WWF Superstars on Fox 5 on Saturday at 1 noon that was one of the builds to this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I only owned one wrestling action figure ever :(

(It was the Jake the Snake Roberts action figure that came with the rubber snake and he had punching action where you pull his arm back and it springs.)

I lost it.

My childhood was kinda poor :(

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I still got this figure at home, had 2 versions (one with the green/silver tux, the other with black/gold) but lost the green one :(

The green one was a later one. It had stomping action. The black one was the earlier one with swinging punch action I think.

I owned neither because I was a poor piece of garbage.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Gavok posted:

Also, pro-tip: Under no circumstances should you ever, ever, ever, EVER look up Brian Knobbs on GIS with the safe search turned off.

Doing this now

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
What, I see nothing abnormal

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Gavok posted:

My bad, then. I had heard legend of some kind of horrific Brian Knobbs goatse picture out there (why, I don't know) and wanted to play it safe.

Oh in that case I’m very disappointed I didn’t see that

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I liked the Nasty Boys when I was a kid V:frogbon:V

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Undertaker and Paul Bearer have a very humorous segment with Regis Philbin later on in the show. :)

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

YOU GUYS I'VE BEEN SO HYPE TO POST THIS ENTRY FOR YOU :supaburn:

---

We're coming up to the next of our big money matches but before we get there it's time for a recap package for the feud between The Ultimate Warrior and Randy Savage. We first watch as Savage interferes in one of Warrior's matches to take him out with the sceptre from the top rope. And from there it's all familiar territory. Sherri goes down to convince Warrior for a title shot but he refuses. Sherri and Savage scheme to cost Warrior the title. It's all still so loving rad.

Career-Ending Match
Randy Savage w/ Sensational Sherri vs. The Ultimate Warrior

Ok boys, we are currently 0-2 for my hyped-up matches delivering so there's a lot on the line here. I'm not saying you need to single handedly deliver to decide my enjoyment for this show but I'll be well pissed if this sucks. So no pressure. But genuinely there is so much at play here. I said after WM6 that this was THE big money match left and that alone has got me so drawn in. Who's going win? Will it be any good? Then you add the retirement stip on top and I'm tense as hell over here. And if that wasn't enough Heenan's about to add another wrinkle to all this madness. Because guess who he's just spotted in the crowd.

Oooooooooooh!

That's right, where Savage goes Elizabeth can never be that far behind so she's here tonight and she's looking very nervous. How's she going to come into things? Oh god, the intrigue! Savage and Sherri are out first and they've got the thrones and the palanquin being carried by the hot topless dudes and they look absolutely boss. God, just from coming to the ring they have so much presence and so much charisma, they're just a perfect fit for each other. Please don't break them up, guys. I'm scared for this match because I don't want Savage to go but I don't want Sherri to leave him either.

The big match feel is really starting to come out now. The crowd's already amped up before Warrior's music hits and when it starts they lose it. Warrior shows up and for the first time ever he walks to the ring, it really helps to sell the magnitude of the occasion. Another thing that helps is the mega tasselled coat that he's wearing, which looks super cool. Can we count this as our first example of an amped up Wrestlemania entrance? Great, now I know who to blame for all those years of Triple H's Conan cosplay. As well as the coat Warrior's got special ring gear as well. His kneepads have got pictures of himself and Savage on. It's all very Rick Rude and that's not the only way that Warrior's paying homage to my boy tonight...

But what means more than the WWF Title? This is not good communication!

The bell rings and we are ready to roll here. Savage runs into a shoulder block from Warrior, who follows with a Manhattan drop and an atomic drop back-to-back. It's not a good time to be Savage's squishy parts. Warrior continues to throw Savage all around the ring while Savage bumps his rear end off. He's working so hard to make Warrior look good, much like Rude used to do back in the day. Warrior picks Savage up just as Sherri slides into the ring but Warrior sees her coming and he drops Savage into her. Dude! You really should chill on the Sherri abuse. Ok, I'm getting good vibes about this match. Everyone's clearly giving it their all here.

This has all been seriously one way so far. For a moment it looks like Savage will turn it around as he connects with a clothesline but then he goes for a flying crossbody and Warrior catches him out of the air. Except instead of going for a big power move Warrior just drops him on his feet and straight up slaps him. loving ace. Savage is getting pretty pissed off now. He goes outside to toss a chair into the ring but the ref has it scouted and takes it away. Warrior tries a stinger splash but Savage dodges out the way and he goes flying over the turnbuckle to the outside. Sensing her opportunity Sherri stalks over to give him a slap and... oh jesus Sherri, it's time we had some words.

Ok, Sherri. You're a lovely lady and you're great at what you do and none of us are going to disagree with that. And yes, you have a great body as well and if you want to show it off then we don't have the right to judge you. You're a strong, independent woman and you should not be shamed for expressing your sexuality. All of that said, this dress you're wearing is a goddam atrocity that should never have been conceived. It looks like you've been attacked with a shredder. By Shredder.

Or perhaps when you bought it you just had to pay for the fabric by the inch

With Warrior tied up with Sherri on the outside Savage goes up top and hits a double axe handle to the outside. Then Sherri starts going totally nutso on Warrior but it's not like it's doing much damange and he ends up so bored of the whole thing that he full on shoves her to the floor. Whoa, dude! What did I say about laying off the violence to women? While this is going on Gino announces that Wrestlemania VII has pulled the largest PPV audience in history. And no, he doesn't mean in WWF history. Yes, Wrestlemania VII has pulled in the largest audience for any PPV ever. Except it hasn't. I checked Wikipedia and WM7 did 400,000 buys. It's not even the best performing Wrestlemania. This is weird, I don't think I've ever seen an entire company with an inferiority complex before.

Back in the ring the action continues as Warrior catches a kick from Savage and responds with a clothesline. He winds up to engage his finishing sequence with a shoulder tackle but Savage dodges out of the way! Yes, nice one! Savage locks in a long rest hold but in time Warrior breaks out and both men collide in a double clothesline. Both men down! Ok, this is getting legit now. They get back to their feet and Warrior rolls Savage up in a small package! But the ref's busy clearing Sherri from the ring! Yeesh, my heart. Warrior goes to get the ref's attention and Savage knocks them into each other and you know what means...

~SHENANIGANS~

That's right, it's all on the table now. Sherri goes up top with one of her shoes but Warrior dodges and she takes out Savage instead. No! Warrior goes after Sherri but Savage rolls him up from behind. Savage nails a jumping necksnap and then he goes up top and hits the Flying Elbow Drop! Then he hits another Flying Elbow Drop. AND THEN HE HITS A THIRD FLYING ELBOW DROP! What's that? You think he's done? Oh, Savage is never done. He goes back up top for a fourth time and nails the Flying Elbow Drop yet again. STOP! STOP! HE'S ALREADY DEAD! But there is no stopping Savage as he goes for it one more time and hits the fifth Flying Elbow Drop in a row. Dear god, loving hell. Then after all that beating and all that punishment Savage finally goes for the pin... and Warrior kicks out. Wow, what the gently caress was all that about. That was ridiculous.

Now that Savage has piled on everything he's got there's nothing left to do but for Warrior to bring it home. He starts up his no-selling routine and connects with a series of clotheslines. He follows up with the Press Slam and a splash AND SAVAGE KICKS OUT! Holy poo poo. Ok, I did not see that coming. And neither did Warrior apparently because he's absolutely stunned. This is the first time anyone's kicked out of the Press Slam and he does not know how to deal. He looks up to the sky and the aliens and the UFOs and he just doesn't get it. This is some serious high-school level acting going on here.

“My god, my god! Why hast thou forsaken me?”

Savage kicking out of the Press Slam has just broken Warrior's brain and he doesn't know what else to do so he just walks off. He starts climbing through the ropes and the ref's arguing with him and it looks like he's about to abandon the match when Savage interrupts by attacking him. Noooo! Just take the countout win! Savage takes it to Warrior on the outside and sets his neck over the barricade while he goes up top just like he did with Ricky Steamboat back in the day. Savage jumps off and Warrior strikes him in the gut leaving Savage to land hard. This encourages Warrior to stay and he rolls Savage back in the ring for a series of shoulder tackles then stands on top of him to get the three count. Boo! Booooo! I knew this would be the result but booooo!

With his future career secure Warrior celebrates for a while but at this point it's not really about him any more so he departs soon enough. This leaves Savage still out of it in the ring while Sherri slides in and she is pissed as hell. And then with nowhere else to vent her frustration Sherri starts giving Savage a kicking! Nooo! This isn't what I wanted! So Sherri's laying the boots in to Savage but Elizabeth has seen enough! She jumps the barricade and charges into the ring! Aaaaa! Elizabeth grabs Sherri and tosses her out of the ring then she goes to look after Savage. Except he doesn't realise who she is so he pushes her away and raises a fist but then he twigs that it's Elizabeth and he starts freaking out. Sherri gets dragged away by the ref while Elizabeth is in tears and Savage is looking at her in shock and he's so conflicted and... and...

...well, just loving watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu5Zi2HuBww

ALL

MY

FEELS.

Oh my god, this whole thing was amazing. Everything about it was fantastic from the entrances through the match to everything that happened after. If this is the end for Savage then they couldn't have given him a better ending. This tied together his entire arc right through from his debut and pulled it together into an incredibly moving happy ending while allowing Savage to have a huge goodbye with the fans as a face in the way that he deserved. While we often talk about how the main title should always close the show, this really should have been the main event tonight. There's no way that Hulk and Slaughter could come close to the drama and the emotion that we just went through here.

So we come to the main question: is Savage actually done? That's an interesting one because the honest answer is that I don't know. I do know that he ends up in WCW towards the end of the 90s for a run there and I have half-heard memories of things to come in future shows but I don't know how much of that is correct. So as far as I'm concerned this could be the last time I see Savage in the ring for a proper run. And you know what? If that's the case then I'm ok with that. He was WWF champion for a year. He headlined two Wrestlemanias. He got one of the best send-offs that you could ask for. It's not as much as he deserved but it's still a hell of a lot. He's been an ever-present since our first year of PPVs and things aren't going to feel right without him.

We'll never forget the Madness.

Though I became a fan of wrestling literally 2 weeks before this PPV, this was the first match that I saw that I actually LOVED and was emotionally invested in.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Gavok posted:

One of the things that's so great about the match is that Warrior and Savage genuinely liked each other. They were good friends. They were on Hogan's level in terms of status, but didn't treat each other like how Hogan treated them. They gladly allowed each other to look great and gave us a classic.

Something worth mentioning right now as Rarity just finished Warrior vs. Savage is that we've hit intermission. While I'm sure that's very apparent for Rarity, she still dodged a bullet. See, sometimes WWE removes stuff from their PPVs, whether it's DVD or WWE Network. For WM7, there was a 5-minute comedy debate sketch where Vince McMahon (his only appearance on the show), George Steinbrenner and Paul Maguire discussed whether or not WWF should do instant replay. It was the new hotness in NFL and they tied it into Warrior's title loss. The whole thing was so painful and bad that they removed it from all versions of the PPV.

So count your blessings, Rarity. You missed out on a bad comedy bit where the punchline was the Buswhackers dressed as referees, playing around in loose video tape.

Oh my god I remember that. :gonk: Is it on youtube? I can't look right now.

Rarity posted:

Yet they left the Wrestlemania Rap in for WM5 :stare:

That was perfectly fine and Run DMC is perfectly fine. :mad:

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Jerusalem posted:

As somebody who was watching at the time, I was super into the idea of Virgil beating up Ted Dibiase... and that was it.

What I mean by that is that my interest was purely in Dibiase, I wanted to see him get his comeuppance and take a beating. They told the story really well and I was behind Virgil, but only insofar as it would mean Dibiase getting what was coming to him. I wasn't excited at all by the idea of what Virgil might do after that, in fact that didn't even occur to me as something that was going to happen. It was all about Dibiase, and while you couldn't have just swapped anybody else in on the face side (Virgil was uniquely placed) without Dibiase it wouldn't have had legs.

I hope that makes sense!

I loved A THING THAT HASN'T HAPPENED YET

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mod Edit: No spoilers!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 16, 2018

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Sorry I wrote about the Dibiase/Virgil match last time. I didn't pay attention to the rules despite them being in the title :(

But yeah now that it's safe to talk about: it was this match that made me love Dibiase as a heel in hindsight. As a kid I hated Dibiase in this match. As a jaded old man, I reflect and think of what a tremendous job he did trying to get Virgil over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Gavok posted:

Hint: Look at Emilio Estevez's IMDB page.

I'm pretty sure the Young Guns weren't in WWF.