Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm watching Ladyhawke and the music is so bad, you guys. It sounds like it should be in a fast food training video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I figured it out. All the big songs have a melody ripped off from a Human League single.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Ladyhawke is awesome and has the best TurboGrafx-CD soundtrack ever made.
nope

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
John Wick 2 definitely follows the action sequel standard of making everything bigger and louder and more violent, but the actually shocking thing is when a character just comes out and says "Y'know what John? I think this whole thing where you kill people is just a metaphor for addiction."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Payndz posted:

Timecop was dopey fun from the days when even third-division chunkheads like Van Damme and Seagal had decent amounts of resources put behind them. I miss the days of "high concept" action cinema.
Seagal was totally acceptable doing his very limited schtick. In a smarter timeline, his career ended after On Deadly Ground flopped.

I won't oppose Seagal to Van Damme because there is still any good reason to see Van Damme: the dude can still physically perform, and better than any given actor like Liam Neeson or Matt Damon doing an action role. There was never any reason to see a Seagal movie besides the aikido fight scenes, and the guy is physically incapable of doing an action scene of any kind.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

McSpanky posted:

And let's not forget his previous phase of "I'm a REAL LIFE BADASS, see?!" where he rode with some LA parish sheriff's department and had a lovely reality show about it.
That's kind of his whole persona for his entire career. In every movie he collects a new kind of badass to pretend to be. In his very first film he players a martial arts master, CIA agent, Vietnam veteran, and a cop with mob connections. But he also wants to be a hippie Zen guru. Basically, he's eternally 13 years old.

My Dad always liked Seagal because he had a more serious persona than, say, Arnold. He paid more attention to handling guns properly, and that sort of thing. Now we know it's because he took his wannabe cosplaying very very seriously.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

And now we know he's also a sexual assaulter and pals with a bunch of corrupt, murderous third world dictators.

(And he was also a huge dick to everyone the one time he hosted Saturday Night Live, according to the Live From New York book.)
Do you remember back in the 90s, there were rumours to the effect that he claimed he had done "private security" for warlords in Southeast Asia? Like, that was the only way he could half-plausibly claim to be a special forces soldier in real life.

The class of martial arts action stars that included Norris, Van Damme, Seagal, etc. was neat because they were close enough to the fans to appear at martial arts events. I heard from people who heard from people nothing but bad things about Seagal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm hard-pressed to think of many big-budget action movies worse than Wild West West. Battlefield Earth, I suppose, but even Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever has more so-bad-it's-good, or at least holy-poo poo-they-did-that, moments. Wild West West just makes everyone in it look bad.

It seems like the best pure action movies these days are stuff that winds up in the "gratuitous B movie" sluices of Netflix, like the Universal Soldier sequels, Undisputed, and so on, and Asian imports.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

People didn't really buy Ecks vs. Sever even at the time, probably because it studiously gives them everything they indicated they wanted to buy, in one lazy package. It's a decent cultural artifact now, but it's hardly the only Matrix ripoff and probably not even the worst of them.
I think the "worst Matrix rip-offs" would be the scenes in terrible comedy movies that were late to the party in spoofing it. That got beaten into the ground very quickly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The sequel discarded too much of the "feel" of the original in favour of being just plain wacky. It could have gotten away with being more over the top than the first one, if it wasn't too much like all the crappy indie films that do stuff like rip on Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hey guys, I'm assembling a watchlist of the B-movies from the sub-subgenre that overlaps The Warriors and Escape from New York. Anything I'm missing that's worth watching?

The New Barbarians
Steel Dawn
1990: The Bronx Warriors
Bronx Warriors 2: Escape from the Bronx
2019: After the Fall of New York
The Running Man
Endgame
Turkey Shoot

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Thanks for the recommends! I thought I had about everything in this genre covered, but there are several there that I hadn't even heard of.

I mean, I figure there are always going to be some really Z-grade ones that aren't worth watching, but how did I not know that Fulci had directed a film in this subgenre? (You could probably just call them guerrieri films, but I don't expect that to catch on.)

As an extremely cheap overambitious sci-fi film, The Bronx Executioner sounds like it should have been featured on MST3K alongside Overdrawn at the Memory Bank and Space Mutiny.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 2, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Oh god the king of overused awful slow-mo is The Boondock Saints. Every action scene is the exact same and it get extremely tedious towards the end, to the point where I cheered when they just shot a guy regularly. God what an awful movie.
The real lovely part about this isn't even the slo-mo per se, it's that almost all of the action is filmed as shot reverse shot. I just rewatched Bronx Warriors 2 and it's not that cheap.

quote:

Hell Comes To Frogtown has like one good scene right in the very beginning, and about 3 other lines of dialogue, but otherwise it’s an interminable slog.
Then how come I've seen it at least 4 times?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, it comes from that extremely 90s aesthetic of raging against an ossified status quo, that made it cool to be antisocial for no reason. I think it goes beyond Tarantino, but he made it into a phenomenon big enough that a douchebag like Troy Duffy could ride it to a movie deal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I always get Buckaroo Banzai and Six String Samurai confused.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone ever see The Devil's Brigade? For a movie about a team of losers and misfits who become deadly killers, it's loving silly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I suppose the earliest would have to be Groucho Marx.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Possibly The Bourne Identity?
It wasn't the first to do that style of action choreography, but it was enormously influential. We got years of Filipino martial arts filmed by a sentient bag of amphetamines.

Once you go back far enough, you gotta start counting Westerns and "adventure" films too. I'm not sure when "action" emerged as a genre, but Bullitt is one of the first I can think of.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm reminded of something I'm not keen on: dvds that make old movies look like direct-to-video movies from 2007. I will give you some examples:

Now I want to see Sidney Poitier do a knife fight with Scott Adkins and Michael Jai White

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Jesus Christ, I'm glad I got it on DVD and have no plans to upgrade.

To be fair, the DVD cover, while better, implies that it's a zombie movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My parents were oddly prudish about certain things, and they forbade me from renting a lot of horror movies with really good box art. This was a blessing in disguise; they were almost universally complete poo poo. I mean, I missed Sleepaway Camp and some so-bad-it's-good stuff, but I also missed Dracula vs. Frankenstein.

I swear, the one at my local video store was a plastic box with an embossed cover. It ruled. This is what the film looks like:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've never really been interested in seeing Tango & Cash, but now I am, because Brion James is in it. Have I gone completely around the bend with B-movie fandom?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't know what movies or serious movies were the ones that changed the game, but it's only recently that guys like Arnold, Stallone, and JCVD aren't exceptions anymore. Bruce Willis and Nicholas Cage are some others who rarely or never got really jacked up for their roles. I don't remember Matt Damon being in ridiculous shape to do the first Bourne movie, but then of course he was jacked up by the last one. (Granted, even in that, it's not like he went all the way to a bodybuilder physique.)

When it comes to martial artists, Jackie Chan was extremely cut when he was young, following Bruce Lee, but size wasn't a big deal. Now he has no need to put his body through that. Donnie Yen didn't bulk up until he did a movie with Vin Diesel. Chuck Norris was always in shape, but he looked like a normal human being.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 12, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Fart City posted:

Nicolas Cage was pretty jacked in Con Air, but I think that was a one-and-done. Come to think of it, did he ever have another outright “spinkick a motherfucker in the face” action movie after that? I’m not talking about Ghost Rider, but a movie where he was presented as being able to do legit martial arts poo poo. Because I’m coming up blank, and you would have thought the success of that movie would have changed his course trajectory, kind of like how Wesley Snipes went from drama to martial arts action star.
Wesley Snipes was a legit martial artist, though. Cage would never have been more than a Matt Damon or a Christian Bale in that regard.

I wish John Cusack had done more martial arts in his movies. He started training under Benny Urquidez for the role in Say Anything... and kept at it for years. It's just weird that he's more of a legit martial artist than most action stars, and he only puts those skills to work in comedies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

Uh, Arnold?
I think the question concerns people who weren't professional athletes before they became actors.

LesterGroans posted:

That beefcake shot of him walking out of the water in tiny shorts was pretty smart marketing.

La Perla must have sold thousands of men's swimsuits.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Jackman's thing is that he works out really, really hard before he does an X-Men movie, then lets it go once he's finished until the next one's ready to start.

Conversely, I think Henry Cavill's supposed to have enjoyed the regimen he was put on when he was cast as Superman and kept it up after he finished Man of Steel, which is why he looks like Superman all the time.
I don't keep up with press release photos, but I really doubt he has six-pack abs all the time. My understanding is that if male actors don't completely let themselves go when they're not filming, they're definitely not on the "boiled chicken breasts and sadness" diet that you need to get that onscreen physique.

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing that's always bothered me about Con Air is that Cameron Poe shows up in a redneck bar in full dress uniform and still has some guys try to pick a fight instead of buy him a drink.
The insane thirst for troop dick didn't exist in 1997. It's entirely a propaganda product of the War On Terror.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 12, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Keysi Fighting Method in Jack Reacher is very bad. I hope that fad is dead now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Were you the one that typed up that hilarious post about KFM?
Was it hilarious? Because I figured it was going to come off as extremely nerdy. I don't even train, brah.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Frankly, I think the prominence of action stars pushing 60 are about a demographic change in who watches action movies. Same reason that the Guardians of the Galaxy movies have soundtracks that are novel to young people and a treat for Dad. (Or if, like me, you're in-between demographics but your parents raised you on a lot of popular music spanning a quarter-century.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Did I miss a conversation about how Bright was abominably dumb? It was real stupid, y'all.

Wheat Loaf posted:

As I've said before in the thread, I have a hard time thinking of war movies as "action movies". :shrug:
What about really silly ones?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Lobok posted:

I missed the word "fight" originally and was gonna say "Oh yeah, back in the 90s when action films still did sex scenes."

JCVD has never done a movie where he's in the middle of a furry gangbang. He did do one where he just walks around a hotel room naked for several minutes. That's when I turned off Pound of Flesh.

Not that he's gross or anything, I hope I look that good at 55

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh poo poo, I thought they were just reusing props and sets from Masters of the Universe to save money.

It's official. Underworld: Rise of the Lycans is set in Middle-Earth.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Pirates movies were successful, but don't seem to have inspired a new wave of adventure films. The few films that come to mind were flops, like John Carter and I guess the new Mummy movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Fart City posted:

One of the reasons Silence works so well is because Hannibal is presented as more of an abstract concept or force of nature than a human being. He has superhuman abilities: he can smell Clarice's perfume, capable of seemingly insane feats of strength, and his penchant for pageantry defies any realistic limitations, such as how is he capable of flaying/crucifying a guard, stealing the face of another, and setting up the elevator distraction in such a short amount of time.
I have a pet theory that Lecter is inspired by Doc Savage, down to the superhuman senses and the weird eyes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Also Universal Soldier 3 and 4. Day of Reckoning has Scott Adkins too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, Hannibal in Silence is a 50 year old man who's been confined to a small cell for several years, yet he has catlike reflexes and incredible strength.

It really reached its apogee in Hannibal Rising when it apparently became clear to Thomas Harris that Hannibal had become some kind of antihero purely on the strength of being a popular character in the movie adaptations. So he wrote a prequel where his abilities are explained as samurai training and his victims are Nazis.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
edit: dp b/c this thread is talking about the same stuff as TG.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 30, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's almost zero Arthurian legend in Richie's King Arthur. It's one of his lad movies with a magic sword.
I watched the first ten minutes, and all I learned was that they seemed to be aware that yes, there were two black guys in King Arthur's court.

Neo Rasa posted:

I think it definitely does. I mean I don't think Demme was particularly influenced by Tarantino, but when you look at the reactions to the Hannibal character its many imitators, I mean this was the time when as a kid I could walk into a comic book store and buy trading cards of serial killers. The serial killer was definitely the monster of the 90s.
The 90s were obsessed with being edgy as gently caress. At one point I asked myself "Was the 90s a really adolescent decade, or am I just saying that because I was an adolescent at the time?" It wasn't just me. Like, I went back and looked at old magazines and stuff, and marketing and advertising were more preoccupied with being transgressive for its own sake. I have complicated personal theories about it centered on the end of the Soviet Union and the creation of the public Internet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I watched a lot of 90s action movies back to back and they all just feel so samey. Waterworld, Ghosts of Mars, they're all just shot in this very functional style. And Super Mario Bros serves as a really awful example of the formula.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What started the trend of action movies with set-pieces that are like a giant Rube Goldberg device that takes a very long time to play out? I suppose it was the Pirates of the Caribbean revival.

I wish that it had really revived the adventure film as a genre, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Carpenter sued the filmmakers and court decided that yes, it was Escape from New York... In Space and that they owed him a lot of money.
If Jodorowsky got a credit on all the movies that have just blatantly ripped him off, his filmography would double.