Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
Shamalama owns and has trolled op quite hard imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Universe Master posted:

I like how he left Disney and went to Warner because Disney was like "Can't you just call a mermaid a mermaid and not a loving Narf" and he was all "NOOoooooooo, my vision"

Holy poo poo yeah "narf". I couldnt convince myself that someone would write something that stupid into a movie so it had to be a real thing. No, its not a real thing...he really called his mystical being a "narf" on purpose, came up with that himself.

The whole Narf story is the stupidest thing, and its all presented as if its part of a Chinese "bedtime story", which seems like a really lovely bedtime story to me, and also Narf doesnt seem like a very chinese word?

Also it says that humans lost contact with the narfs because they were greedy for land and moved inland away from the ocean. Not expanded inland, but picked up their houses and went inland, apparently abandoning the ocean, because coastal areas have definitely not been densely populated forever. God the guy who wrote/directed this movie is so loving stupid.

The CRITIC thing though. The main guy goes to the movie critic for advice, and the critic tells him a bunch o fshit and it turns out to be a MAJOR plot point that everything the critic says is wrong and is causing the chick to die, and this one guy says "What kind of person would be so arrogant as to presume the intention of another human being? " about the critic. gently caress you MNS gently caress gently caress you goddamn.

gently caress this garbage movie and its garbage director.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
OP, your friend hates you.

This is the only truly unwatchable M Night movie. The Happening is legitimately terrible in nearly any category you care to use but anyone can make fun of it so it's watchable.

Lady in the Water is just slow, ponderous, masturbatory awfulness.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
This movie holds a special place in my heart as "movie I kinda wanted to see but then read the wikipedia plot summary and then I vomited the most at how unnecessarily obfuscated the badic plot was"

One evening, Cleveland Heep (Paul Giamatti), who became the superintendent of a Philadelphia apartment complex after his family was murdered, discovers Story (Bryce Dallas Howard), a naiad-like character (called a Narf) from the Blue World, in his building's pool, immediately rescuing her from an attack by a "Scrunt",[5] a grass-covered wolf-like creature that lies flat.

Story is here to find the Author, a specific writer whose book will better humanity's future. After questioning residents Farber (Bob Balaban), Bell (Mary Beth Hurt), Dury (Jeffrey Wright), and five nameless smokers, Brown discovers the author, Rick Van (M. Night Shyamalan), who is writing The Cookbook, containing views and ideas so significant they will inspire a future President, a great Midwestern orator, to greatly change the world for the better. Van meeting Story eliminates his fear and sharpens his inner voice, but he learns he will be assassinated because of the controversial nature of his ideas.

The Tartutic, an invincible simian trio that serve as the Blue World's peacekeepers, have forbidden that Story be attacked while returning home. The Scrunt nonetheless does just that, as Story is destined to be a great leader as well. To return safely, she will now need the help of a Symbolist, a Guardian, a Guild and a Healer. Story believes Heep to be her Guardian; Heep asks Farber, a West Coast émigré turned film critic, to help him figure out the others' identities. Working off movie tropes, Farber misadvises Heep, leading him to a flawed conclusion that Dury is the Symbolist, the smokers are the Guild, and Bell is the Healer.

Heep asks Story how to "practice" for the confrontation but nearly dies in the process, convincing him he's not the Guardian. The next night, Farber's bad advice leads to their plan's immediate failure. In the confusion, Farber is killed and Story is mortally wounded by the Scrunt. Dury suddenly realizes his son Joey (Noah Gray-Cabey) is the Symbolist. Interpreting the information on cereal boxes, Joey deduces the true Guild is composed of seven sisters, that two new men must be present, and that the Healer is male, soon revealed to be Heep. He goes about healing Story by "bringing forth [his] energy" (his repressed grief). Story's departure starts again, but the Scrunt attacks; it is stopped by the gaze of Reggie (Freddy Rodríguez), a lopsidedly muscled tenant who is the true Guardian. Reggie's gaze, capable of compelling the Scrunt to slowly retreat, is distracted by the cry of the Great Eatlon, a giant eagle who will ferry Story home. When Reggie breaks eye contact, the Scrunt leaps, but the Tartutic arrive and drag it away. Heep thanks Story for saving his life as she hugs him goodbye. The Great Eatlon lands, enfolds Story in one of its wings, and takes flight. The film ends as each tenant watches as she is ferried into the storm.

It's a normal plot, but we replaced every noun with a random series of letters.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 24, 2017

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Watch the trailer for Avatar: The Last Airbender, and then watch Avatar: The Last Airbender.

A good trailer leading to a bad movie?!?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

I hate his standup but he was okay in Parks and Rec.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Bogus Adventure posted:

Watch the trailer for Avatar: The Last Airbender, and then watch Avatar: The Last Airbender.

A good trailer leading to a bad movie?!?

NO force in heaven or earth can make me watch that movie

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Cleveland Heep

Lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Frankenstyle posted:

I hate his standup but he was okay in Parks and Rec.

His best role was in Heroes.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I hate every fcharacter Cleveland Heap is a gqarbage person who makes gross noises that sounds like he sturning into a zombie

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bismuth posted:

NO force in heaven or earth can make me watch that movie

Well, I guess it's fitting you left out Hell because that's what you have to watch if you go there. :-p

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

Shamalama owns and has trolled op quite hard imo
Basically this, when I first saw it I loved it because I thought M. Night Shyamalan had made a self-parody film

But then I found out it was an unironic attempt at making a good film, and that was the last M. Night Shyamalan film I watched.

Though I always hope he can make a comeback

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Mister Heep was my father

Call me Cleveland

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Dr. Quarex posted:

Basically this, when I first saw it I loved it because I thought M. Night Shyamalan had made a self-parody film

But then I found out it was an unironic attempt at making a good film, and that was the last M. Night Shyamalan film I watched.

You should watch The Happening. It's one of the better Horror comedy films ever made, and the fact that the comedy was accidental makes it like 10X funnier.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yah, watching it as a serious movie it's terrible. But you see Marky Mark be all serious with his terrible acting and it's a fuckin riot. It's sort of an accidental Starship Troopers.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

"Say 'hi' to your mother for me."

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Dr. Quarex posted:

But it was a perfectly fine film? It was a goofy fairy tale with some shots at critics who really have been p unfair to him imo.

sixth sense, unbreakable, signs, village, devil, split, the visit are all good movies written and directed by him not brilliant or anything but still seriously impressive for one guy

happening is something else entirety tho no idea how anyone involved agreed that it should be released but i sure am glad they did

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

But it was a perfectly fine film?

Get the gently caress out of my thread and never come back

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BrigadierSensible posted:

The scene where the baddy wolf monsters kill the movie critic is so so bad.
M Night Shyamalan is practically wanking himself off so hard going "that'll sho you to be mean to my genius you meanies!", and then he puts a part fro fimself in as a writer that writes a book that will change the world, but a lot of people wont like it at the time. (subtle.)

M. Night Syamalan is a oval office, and a pretentious one trick pony oval office at that.

if you really wanna go down this rabbit hole, this worthless fuckstain actually wrote the book in question irl and had his publisher put it in children's picture book sections. and before you ask, it's bad. really bad. like "we only published this cuz u a multi-millionaire" bad

i hope he dies vlad the impaler style, just rammed rear end-first on a fence stake and left there for a few days

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 24, 2017

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Bismuth posted:

Get the gently caress out of my thread and never come back

your typing a bunch of mad words about a movie about mermaids and a dide with one swole arm in it its like you watched the movie sober or something lmao

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I wonder how much better this movie would have been received if M. Night had cast literally anybody else as the author. I suspect "drastically better received."

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
also bryce dallas howerd is goddang gorgeous specially in the village

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

your typing a bunch of mad words about a movie about mermaids and a dide with one swole arm in it its like you watched the movie sober or something lmao

Shes not even a real mermaid shes just a bitch who sits in a shower the whole movie not having a sweet tail or showing her tits at all

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

The White Dragon posted:

if you really wanna go down this rabbit hole, this worthless fuckstain actually wrote the book in question irl and had his publisher put it in children's picture book sections. and before you ask, it's bad. really bad. like "we only published this cuz u a multi-millionaire" bad

i hope he dies vlad the impaler style, just rammed rear end-first on a fence stake and left there for a few days

Wait. What? Are you trying to tell me M. Night thinks the book that's supposed to save the world is a picture book he made depicting the movie?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

Wait. What? Are you trying to tell me M. Night thinks the book that's supposed to save the world is a picture book he made depicting the movie?

pretty sure yeah. i didn't see the movie but now that the thread's given me the summary for it, everything suddenly makes sense

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
He even manages to slip a little martyrdom in there; the nard tells his character that hes going to die before he sees his book change the world and hes all accepting of it like ah yes my destiny

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Someone should send Mark Chapman a copy of the book and get his opinion.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It's a bad movie but lmao at how mad some you are itt.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I always felt bad for the people who made Stir of Echoes because it came out like weeks after The Sixth Sense and got completely ignored despite being the better ghost movie.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Honky Dong Country posted:

It's a bad movie but lmao at how mad some you are itt.

Mostly because I was trapped, I couldn't think of a polite way to stop watching it and didnt want to hurt my friend's feelings

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Bismuth posted:

Mostly because I was trapped, I couldn't think of a polite way to stop watching it and didnt want to hurt my friend's feelings

"Hey I really don't like this movie. Wanna do something else?"

They're your friend be honest man. No way in hell that movie would be the first thing one of you likes that the other doesn't.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Honky Dong Country posted:

"Hey I really don't like this movie. Wanna do something else?"

They're your friend be honest man. No way in hell that movie would be the first thing one of you likes that the other doesn't.

I'm very timid IRL

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

unbreakable, are all good movies written and directed by him

No. That's it. I mean I don't hate the guy or anything, but that's it.

Also I don't hate you, but maybe your eyes are a little broke?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Drunk Nerds posted:

This movie holds a special place in my heart as "movie I kinda wanted to see but then read the wikipedia plot summary and then I vomited the most at how unnecessarily obfuscated the badic plot was"

One evening, Cleveland Heep (Paul Giamatti), who became the superintendent of a Philadelphia apartment complex after his family was murdered, discovers Story (Bryce Dallas Howard), a naiad-like character (called a Narf) from the Blue World, in his building's pool, immediately rescuing her from an attack by a "Scrunt",[5] a grass-covered wolf-like creature that lies flat.

Story is here to find the Author, a specific writer whose book will better humanity's future. After questioning residents Farber (Bob Balaban), Bell (Mary Beth Hurt), Dury (Jeffrey Wright), and five nameless smokers, Brown discovers the author, Rick Van (M. Night Shyamalan), who is writing The Cookbook, containing views and ideas so significant they will inspire a future President, a great Midwestern orator, to greatly change the world for the better. Van meeting Story eliminates his fear and sharpens his inner voice, but he learns he will be assassinated because of the controversial nature of his ideas.

The Tartutic, an invincible simian trio that serve as the Blue World's peacekeepers, have forbidden that Story be attacked while returning home. The Scrunt nonetheless does just that, as Story is destined to be a great leader as well. To return safely, she will now need the help of a Symbolist, a Guardian, a Guild and a Healer. Story believes Heep to be her Guardian; Heep asks Farber, a West Coast émigré turned film critic, to help him figure out the others' identities. Working off movie tropes, Farber misadvises Heep, leading him to a flawed conclusion that Dury is the Symbolist, the smokers are the Guild, and Bell is the Healer.

Heep asks Story how to "practice" for the confrontation but nearly dies in the process, convincing him he's not the Guardian. The next night, Farber's bad advice leads to their plan's immediate failure. In the confusion, Farber is killed and Story is mortally wounded by the Scrunt. Dury suddenly realizes his son Joey (Noah Gray-Cabey) is the Symbolist. Interpreting the information on cereal boxes, Joey deduces the true Guild is composed of seven sisters, that two new men must be present, and that the Healer is male, soon revealed to be Heep. He goes about healing Story by "bringing forth [his] energy" (his repressed grief). Story's departure starts again, but the Scrunt attacks; it is stopped by the gaze of Reggie (Freddy Rodríguez), a lopsidedly muscled tenant who is the true Guardian. Reggie's gaze, capable of compelling the Scrunt to slowly retreat, is distracted by the cry of the Great Eatlon, a giant eagle who will ferry Story home. When Reggie breaks eye contact, the Scrunt leaps, but the Tartutic arrive and drag it away. Heep thanks Story for saving his life as she hugs him goodbye. The Great Eatlon lands, enfolds Story in one of its wings, and takes flight. The film ends as each tenant watches as she is ferried into the storm.

It's a normal plot, but we replaced every noun with a random series of letters.

holy poo poo the bad monster is called scrunt

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
:scrunt:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

CLEVELAND HEEP

false flag post-op
May 13, 2009

Enjoy Every Sandvich
KICK YOU IN SCRUNT NARF!