Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Goats would be a poor investment, since all the grass in Florida is full of death ants (source: I'm not allowed to play in the grass at Grandma's house! :mad:) . But a gator farm might work. Zaurg, have you ever thought about opening your own Gatorland franchise?

e: I have to assume most of the lovely stuff left with Zwife. IIRC the pool table was actually sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Gators don't eat grass. It could be a saving on child care in the medium term though.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

e: I have to assume most of the lovely stuff left with Zwife. IIRC the pool table was actually sold.
Irma probably took whatever Zwife left behind. zaurg, are you still alive? How underwater is your house, on a scale of 1-10 (feet)?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's almost October and he still hasn't posted his August spending

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

He's not going to. This summer's manic episode has passed.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I just tell myself he went back on his meds and everything is fine.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Most likely is his house flooded and last month he decided to cancel flood insurance because he didn't want to cut the $80 lawn care service instead

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Zaurus took this opportunity to quietly build a crude raft of wonderhangers, put fake glasses on himself and the kids, and sail to a new, debt-free future in Cuba.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
his gf got pregnant "by accident" coz they were still loving before "breaking up" lol

that's my guess

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

zaurg posted:

Yes, that's it. Let's go with that. It might even be true so we can go with that as the primary reason. E/N stuff done.

Is she joining the military

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Maybe they met a lovely third during their break-up marathon vacation and now their relationship is whole.

Because zuarg has 2 wives to spend his money now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
polyamory wins again

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Post your numbers, you hot dog head.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Nocheez posted:

Fair warning to those not used to Zaurg threads: You will waste lots of time trying to help, but nothing will happen except what Zaurg already wants to do. He claims to want the help and to appreciate the advice, but his actions will leave you exasperated and dumbstruck.

Wow, I was way off. Zaurg didn't even do the baseline of appearing to try to improve this time.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Wow, I was way off. Zaurg didn't even do the baseline of appearing to try to improve this time.

He came in here last year with a decent-looking outlook on life and managed to gently caress it up already. Rad.

I wanted more updates on Z-ex's thousand-dollar Candy Crush purchases, too! :mad:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Looks like my simple goal of not spending more than he earns in a month was too much.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Devian666 posted:

Looks like my simple goal of not spending more than he earns in a month was too much.

Stop being unreasonable.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Devian666 posted:

Sure, if I made like a million dollar a month or something.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Sure, if I made like a million dollar a month or something.

Those in-app purchases of coins are brutal.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Nocheez posted:

oh I improved all right! Spent too much time improving my marathon time by 35 minutes to a 3:34 :snoop: Life is good

I'll improve finance stuff but I dug myself a nice drat hole over the past 1-2 months. I promise to post stats and get this thread moving in the right direction by Sunday 10/15 or ya'll should flush this thread and ban me. Please give me till 10/15.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

That should be a toxx...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

zaurg posted:

oh I improved all right! Spent too much time improving my marathon time by 35 minutes to a 3:34 :snoop: Life is good

I'll improve finance stuff but I dug myself a nice drat hole over the past 1-2 months. I promise to post stats and get this thread moving in the right direction by Sunday 10/15 or ya'll should flush this thread and ban me. Please give me till 10/15.

You won't improve anything. You'll kick the can down the road, and make excuses. You act like you can't decrease your marathon time AND your spending at the same time.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

That should be a toxx...

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
If you improve your marathon times enough maybe you'll be able to run away from your responsibilities

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
Run on the lawn after you mow it.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

CharlestonJew posted:

If you improve your marathon times enough maybe you'll be able to run away from your responsibilities

He’s already missed the chance to dispute paternity :confused:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Good Parmesan posted:

Run on the lawn after you mow it.

Hot! Sexy! Totally not Zaurg.

We should all report that post when he doesn’t deliver.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Working on this this morning. When I said 10/15 I meant give me all of 10/15 before banning, thank you.

Giraffe posted:

Taking out the Misc and Blow, you spent $3579 of your $4595 in July on categories with very little discretionary latitude. That leaves you with about $1000 a month for everything else. Every meal out, all clothes and shoes for you and the kids, car repairs, birthday presents, football games, etc. That $1000 will be very easy to burn through even without unexpected surprises, which are definitely going to happen. Cutting down on your grocery bill, utilities and insurance wherever possible will help a lot. Find an extra $200/month in there and stick it in savings every month. Then start carefully monitoring your spending throughout each month to see if you can learn the discipline you'll need to cut out extras before that $1000 runs out. The only purpose of the budget is to get you to rein in your spending when you need to. Ideally, you'll be able to end each month with another $200 or more surplus so you're prepared when the car breaks down or the roof caves in.

Best post ever.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Hahaha, you're so getting banned.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
What a clusterfuck I am. I started this thread at the wrong time when I knew I had a vacation planned for October that would rack up a bunch of $$. I didn't track crap the past 2.5 months so I spent all morning trying to backtrack looking at a mountain of receipts and looking through credit card statements and checkbook.

I know I'm still missing a couple things... oldest daughter's school aftercare which is $240/month even though she only goes about 3 hours twice a week. Need to look into if they have an hourly option that is cheaper. The August $580 summer camp expense some should go back into July. youngest daughter I'm now paying half the pre-K expenses which is $120 per week so I'll add that.

As you can see I got rid of "Misc" and "Blow" and tried to add it all into a "Discretionary" category along the lines of what Giraffe suggested, so I can just focus on that # going forward.

August
Income $4,954
Savings $250 5%
Retirement $305 6%
Expenses $5,296 107%
Housing $1,750 35%
Insurance $454 9%
Utilities $533 11%
Auto $99 2%
Childcare $580 12%
Debt $100 2%
Disc-Grocery $625 13%
Disc-Gym $21 0%
Disc-Entertainment $171 3%
Disc-Fees $9 0%
Disc-Clothing $198 4%
Disc-KidsSchoolStuff $- 0%
Disc-Medical $256 5%
Disc-Running $214 4%
Disc-Vacation $- 0%
Disc-Restaurants $163 3%
Disc-Gifts $97 2%
Disc-Misc $25 1%
Discretionary Total = $1,755 35%
***some of childcare 580 needs to go to July

September
Category Totals
Income $4,954
Savings $250 5%
Retirement $305 6%
Expenses $4,207 85%
Housing $1,750 35%
Insurance $454 9%
Utilities $389 8%
Auto $73 1%
Childcare $- 0%
Debt $100 2%
Disc-Grocery $698 14%
Disc-Gym $21 0%
Disc-Entertainment $30 1%
Disc-Fees $44 1%
Disc-Clothing $- 0%
Disc-Medical $- 0%
Disc-Running $43 1%
Disc-Vacation $107 2%
Disc-Restaurants $248 5%
Disc-Gifts $219 4%
Disc-Misc $30 1%
Discretionary Total = $1,411 28%
***MISSING daughter1 VPK $240 for month and daughter2 aftercare $240 for month

October
Category Totals
Income $4,954
Savings $250 5%
Retirement $305 6%
Expenses $3,903 79%
Housing $1,750 35%
Insurance $454 9%
Utilities $468 9%
Auto $31 1%
Childcare $- 0%
Debt $100 2%
Disc-Grocery $134 3%
Disc-Gym $21 0%
Disc-Entertainment $29 1%
Disc-Fees $2 0%
Disc-Clothing $- 0%
Disc-Medical $78 2%
Disc-Running $27 1%
Disc-Vacation $771 16%
Disc-Restaurants $15 0%
Disc-Gifts $- 0%
Disc-Misc $24 0%
Discretionary Total = $1,076 22%
***MISSING daughter1 VPK $240 for month and daughter2 aftercare $240 for month

zaurg fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 15, 2017

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
*makes common sense suggestion which is utterly ignored*

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Where's the lawncare expense?

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

DoctorTristan posted:

Where's the lawncare expense?

poo poo I think it's in Utilities
I should move to Discretionary shouldn't I?

You guys are still really hammering away

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I have to know how the vacation total breaks down.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

zaurg,

YOU CANNOT AFFORD LAWNCARE. YOU ARE POOR. YOU CAN BARELY AFFORD GAS FOR YOUR MOWER.

Sincerely,

BFC

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I have to know how the vacation total breaks down.

Hotel
Restaurants
Rental Car and gas
Parks
2 drinks on the plane
I think that was it.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

zaurg posted:

Hotel
Restaurants
Rental Car and gas
Parks
2 drinks on the plane
I think that was it.

You know if you bought first class tickets, you'd get those drinks for free and save a few bucks.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

My dude you are literally more dedicated to not getting banned on SA than you are to not spending every penny you make

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Shugojin posted:

My dude you are literally more dedicated to not getting banned on SA than you are to not spending every penny you make

Only spending what he earns would be a massive improvement.

Zaurg, how are you going to bring your spending under control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

DoctorTristan posted:

Zaurg, how are you going to bring your spending under control?

I'm going to do what Giraffe suggested.

4950 = Monthly Income
3875 = "Regular" expenses that are mostly paid automatically
---------------
1750 Mortgage
430 Health Ins
25 Life Ins
150 Electric
150 Water (every 2 months)
65 Cell
50 Internet
80 Lawn
240 Aftercare
240 Pre-K
100 Loan repayment
250 Savings-Emergency Fund
305 Savings-Retirement
20 Gym
20 Google Play Music and Netflix
---------------

That leaves 1075. Let's say an even 1000 extra every month to cover Grocery, Auto, Medical, Clothes, and fun poo poo. This doesn't mean I shouldn't work on lowering the "regular" expenses like Cell, Internet, Lawn, but for right now my focus is controlling that remaining 1000.

How will I control it? I need to keep a daily $ remaining from the 1000. Google spreadsheet, accessible anywhere, no excuse not to check it in a second.

I screwed myself for October already and it's only the 15th. Already OVER the 1000 at about 1034. So I'll just tighten down as much as possible, I have nothing left. Only truly necessities.