Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The Reflection is the new Stan Lee anime. I liked Heroman but this one seems like it might be very different. It's got a weird, interesting visual style and what might be a plot that's going places. I'm interested.

Three years ago, the titular global event happened, killing a bunch of people and leaving the survivors ("Reflected") with random superpowers. The details are a lot of mystery surrounding the event itself, the main heroes, and the agenda of a bunch of shameless supervillains. There's more detail I guess but we'll find out what it all means, probably?

Main characters, probably:
(Names subject to update)

X-ON
Powers: Copies other powers by touch.
Mysterious.

Ian "I-Guy" Izett
Powers: Converts the sound of voices to kinetic energy, which powers his Iron Man suit.
Rock superstar by day, Superman by night. Lives in L.A.

Eleanor Evards
Powers: Short range teleporting.
Reporter, hacker, following X-On. Honestly the main protagonist so far.

Lisa Livingston
Powers: Her wheelchair turns into a giant robot.
Wasn't really in the first episode. Seems cool though.

9nine
The girl group 9nine, who sing the ending credits, voicing themselves as random civilian girls keeping up with the action from Japan. I dunno what the point is or why they're on the character list.

It's on Crunchyroll!

Caphi fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've been seeing some mixed responses towards this but while i didn't love the first episode, i enjoyed it enough to give it a couple more to see where things go

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
This was the only show of the season I had interest in, and the animation and pacing in the first episode was pretty loving bad. I also find it pretty aesthetically off-putting. I like super power shows so I'll give it one more episode

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Relin posted:

This was the only show of the season I had interest in, and the animation and pacing in the first episode was pretty loving bad. I also find it pretty aesthetically off-putting. I like super power shows so I'll give it one more episode

Yeah, I really wanted to like it but my god it moves slowly. That said, Stan Lee does the next episode title previews, so... Gotta watch those.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Hahahaha what is this? I hate superheroes even more than shonen fighting animes, why was this so fun?

Ya'll are taking this too serious. I was in stitches half the episode. Its like they got america 95% right, but that extra 5% of japan is still floating around and it's fantastic.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i-guy's kind of great because he's trying so hard to be a flashy, cool super-hero while looking like a clown and playing his favorite 80s music on public speakers as a theme song and messing up his entrances so bad that he has to improv a different name from the one he wanted, and i hope there's more of that

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
The crowd chanting "Sky Show" with giant american flags fluttering in the background was too much, I could barely breath. The show invented it's own lovely 80's pop song just so it could have a dorky Ironman force it into his themesong. That is craftsmanship.

Did he actually gently caress up his name? I thought he was just positioned wrong to be the "I" when he first flashed it on the billboard.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm pretty sure it's meant to be I-Guy because his superhero alliterative name starts with I's.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Pavlov posted:

I thought he was just positioned wrong to be the "I" when he first flashed it on the billboard.
Seems so

This is a weird show

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I like weird shows sometimes. The first episode of 18if turned me right off, though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this show is directed by the same guy as mushishi and aku no hana, so weird, slow, visually experimental stuff is kind of one of his specialties

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Holy poo poo, is one of the characters in this Literal Stan Lee?

I also like that Robodork has a team of engineers and control operators like you'd actually want to have.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah that is certainly Stan Lee.

My main complaint is that the action always seems to be moving in slow motion.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
saving that money by reusing a bunch of scenes from episode 1

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah it's a bit cheap. I've always tended to like when something shows you the same series of events from multiple perspectives though, so it still worked for me.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

My favorite part of this show is that the level-of-detail for face rendering is set at "very close" so you constantly get face pop-in as people walk around.

And by "favorite" I mean what the gently caress is DEEN even doing?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It owns that all of I-Guy's stupid fourth wall background effects in the fight were diegetic and deliberately orchestrated by a team of effects hackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
God this art style is made for me specifically, thank you, DEEN. The show's hyper-cheap and wears it on its sleeve, but I really dig it. Stuff like seeing i-GUY's fight in his perspective of having the intercom on is the cheapest tactic, but it works so good. Spider-clops is pretty fun, too.

Odds are that it won't pan out to be as good as its own mysterious flare is hyping up to, but man, i'll keep watching this thing. Sky High is worth it.

• Locked thread