Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Sure. One more game before I start work again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

PMush Perfect posted:

Do you mean the "hold a broom between your legs" nerd Quidditch or are we all about to be hit with a memory charm?

What about that skydiving poo poo I saw one time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Can this game be tomorrow when I'm less hungover?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

PMush Perfect posted:

I really wanna watch Speed again one day. Keanu Reeves was a big ol' block of mediocre movie star and I'm always up for mediocrity. Nobody redirects the entire movie's budget into following Lead ActMan's pecs or Poorgirl Deservesabettermovie's rear end..

But John Wick is awesome, so perhaps Keanu is good?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

tpink posted:

There is no perhaps about it.

Tpink you're good people.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I will go on the record and say that Hal has never owned me as scum.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Asiina posted:

I mean I said that but I have no real opinions.

We've been playing this game for many years why is it always so hard to just start the game.

Every game should start with someone recklessly using a dayvig.

I completely agree with this. It would make life so much nicer.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Somberbrero posted:

the player with the lowest postcount today has to eat an egg.

What if they like eggs?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

CirclMastr posted:

Then they have to eat an onion.

Can you see what my next question is going to be?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
On one hand I love the poo poo out of alcohol.

On the other I dislike eggnog.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

drowned in pussy juice posted:

Kids spend all day crying and throwing up anyway who c an really know for sure if it's bad for them

If you don't let your kids get drunk you're an awful parent.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I mean isn't this a situation where we lynch the copped Beast because that really seems like an anti-town name for a 3p and then if the flip comes back in a way that doesn't corroborate the claim we lynch Hal for lying?

The worst case is we lynch a town to out a 3p that's openly lying to town, the best case is killing someone in an anti-town role.

I've noted before that I find 3p to be pretty consistently pro town early and anti town late so I can understand the claim that the removal of two 3p players now is bad.

However, if Hal's claim is correct he just won't care about scum hunting since he knows scum will ignore him and he needs to murder taste to win, so literally every day will be Hal trying to get votes on Fiskerton and reasonably so.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Tldr ##vote Fisk

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

you're not the only person that avoided the nog my friend, there are 3 other people for me to consider today by my count who didn't nog on, do you think its unreasonable to assume that scum would be more hesitant to drink a random nog than town, when only scum know for sure that someone of their alignment didn't make it?

Yes and no.

You're obviously right that scum know, if you're town that it's for certain not from them.

Equally they also know that they can remove you from the game with a high chance of success since the doctor is down. Additionally they are also likely to believe that it's not a killing effect.

I didn't drink the nog because I was worried about it making me able to be /more likely to be killed.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

yeah this is all fair although I should clarify and say I don't think the entire scum team would have necessarily avoided the nog, but that as long as I have this nog power I don't want to vote a nog drinker today.

Yeah that makes perfect sense.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

PMush Perfect posted:

We should keep discussing, but if we've got an echo cop and it actyally is MyLo, I feel like

##vote no lynch

isn't a bad idea as a default, unless a really good case comes out. (Or, say, someone catches dipj in a lie or something.)

This is also a good idea if you believe MyLo is on the table but I strongly suspect that it's not MyLo.

I believe I've played in every Somber game since Ravenswood and if I'm not wrong every game has 13 players overall and has 4 non town players.

Also ML D1, Lynch SK D2, ML D3 endgame is absolutely brutal.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm phone posting at the moment so I don't have access to my spreadsheets for each game, but I'll double check after work tonight on my setup speculations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

if I don't have another echo cop tonight and scum kill the townie I confirm we're essentially back where we started bc I won't have any new results and I probably just get ganked the next night. If I keep my mouth shut and scum NK me to prevent any further cop results town at least knows the confirmed townie is a nog drinker and I was right and my nog was good

Okay if you don't reveal and aren't scum, scum gank you.

If you leave a code we assume scum figure it out at night and gank your confirmed town player.

So the upside of a no reveal is that tomorrow we know one of the nog players is town.

That's not very helpful as if you die it's the exact same situation as today.

If you reveal today we have a confirmed town for voting purposes, which is likely good for the voting process and informing town night actions tonight.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Jedit why is your vote still on DIPJ? Do you still think they're lying?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Jedit posted:

I do. I cannot see Somber introducing what is for most purposes a double-strength Cop on the back of a joke post. I will only switch if a better scum candidate emerges - you know, like bowmore if he doesn't explain properly why he decided to make that fake claim at this stage.

Jesus, when you frame it like that.

Yeah okay, I can understand the vote.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

PMush Perfect posted:

Jedit, if you stretch any farther you're gonna pull something.

No, we're probably not in MyLo with so many 3Ps, but your reasons for not believing DIPJ sound like utter BS.

1. We had an empowerer. Confirmed town.
2. No one else has made any kind of cop claim.
3. Echo cop is not a double power cop. It can be a little stronger in the right hands, true, but with so many nontowns, it's not nearly as useful as it might be. Plus, you know, godfathers exist.
4. Your supposition requires that Somber did two different day events for no reason except to screw with us.
5. If the nog was related to Bad Things, I would probably be dead right now!

In summary, you sound like you got caught with your pants down and you're desperately trying to discredit the only claimed cop while you still can.

But the DiPJ thing is just really really bizarre.

Man gets given VT, gets wounded by a bad egg, shitposts at the mod and then gets given a power based on his shitposting?

And then the power ends up being a really, really, interesting take on echo cop as well?

This really strains credulity imo. I don't think it's Somber loving with us so much as DiPJ lying about something because the chain of events is just so weird.

I have strong reason to also believe that whether town or scum you have a strong incentive to defend what DiPJ is saying since his statement clears you. So to me, you are at best a biased town player who isn't assessing correctly or at worst a scum defending his scumbud's cop claim.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I don't blame you if you're the former by the way. I was buying it for a long while as I was caught up in the frequent posting, but when Jedit posted the events like that I actually had to take a step back and reassess.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

It's easy to nod your head and "confirm" Hal's role. Your power is just one shot rolecop, right?

##unvote

ugh, I'll reread after a nap.

Okay so the whole Asiina/Ernie/Hal thing is a little weird, but instead of unhelpfully yelling "read the thread," I'll lay it out as best I can.

Ernie claims to have rolecopped Hal Night 1. Presumably he got something indicating that Hal was a mason recruiter.

Day 2 Asiina posts this:

Asiina posted:

Also Hal is my best friend get rekt Ernie.

In retrospect this makes sense as Asiina saying they're going to empower Hal. But you could be forgiven for thinking that Asiina is indicating that they're in a masonry with Hal.

Ernie then posts this:

Ernie. posted:

I literally know exactly what you mean and why you're saying this and I'm upset by it.

He strongly indicates that he knows what's going on with Asiina and Hal.

All of this is prior to Hal's reveal.

Turns out he actually had no idea and was entirely wrong but the entire sequence happens from a misunderstanding that can only really occur if Ernie knows /something/ about one of the roles being talked about.

Like I can see maybe a really really conniving scum player seeing that interaction and diving in headfirst to claim rolecop, but to me it's genuinely really risky if either player turns around and just has no idea what you're on about.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

bowmore posted:

Yorkshire Tea has been really conservative with their votes, only voting Fisk, and also avoided drinking the nog.

I'm not sure that this is a town perspective, maybe they have have a really important town role they want to keep using? or they are scum?

It would make sense that the apathy from town players in this game comes from (what I'm guessing is ) being given decent night powers so they (we) are resting on their laurels

I'll caveat everything I've just said with this post, which states that I'm acting conservatively.

It's not wrong, I am and I do generally play the game like that, since I really enjoy night action Mafia.

Just because I don't think a conniving scum would make that play, doesn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't. I just don't think it's the best or most logical play for scum.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, I don't buy the idea of Ernie being scum, but "both weird cop and rolecop" isn't the most unlikely thing in the world? Again: We don't know what Asiina did on N1. That could easily explain the weirdness, and the rest was just Somber rewriting flavor or whatever because he thought it was hilarious.

(Also, egg -> eggnog is not the spectacularly bizarre logical leap y'all seem to be making it out to be.)

Honestly, I'm warming up to the idea of dunking somebody, but absolutely neither Ernie nor DIPJ. At least not yet.

So I think killing Ernie is really risky. I don't see much of his play as being scummy early in the game, but equally I really don't like how aggressively he went for DipJ. That's not enough for me to vote a guy, but it does make me more suspicious of a scum person being a little freaked that they're being found out.

I see the Ernie lynch as risky because if he does flip scum we honestly don't have all that much in terms of interactions to go on from him and if he flips town we get basically nothing out of the ML. Obviously killing scum is huge, but it's the lowest impact killing of scum we have.

Contrast to DiPJ, where at best, if we lynch him and he flips scum then we have a lot to examine based on his interactions with you (clearing you) and with both Bowmore and Ernie.

At worst, if we lynch him and he flips town you're confirmed. Now that means scum target you tonight, but even with Doctor dead there are still probably powers in the game that town hold that would help you out of that Jam, or reveal scum if they try to go for you.

On a direct comparison between the two therefore, I favour the DiPJ lynch. But I'm not going to vote for it yet, because we've still got a day and I'm sure a lot of people have more interesting insights.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Ernie. posted:

Oh my goddd you shouldn't vote people based on how their flips change the game. We win the game by voting out scum. Who do you think is scum?

You have clearly never played Mafia with me before.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Ernie. posted:

Oh my goddd you shouldn't vote people based on how their flips change the game. We win the game by voting out scum. Who do you think is scum?

And the answer to that question is that I'm most suspicious of DiPJ because I think his story is implausible.

Beyond DiPJ, I'm most suspicious of you and PMush because you thought No lynch was a good idea.

It's enhanced by your sudden switch to try and remove DiPJ and PMush's is enhanced by my suspicion of DiPJ given that PMush is being cleared by DiPJ.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

PMush Perfect posted:

Okay, I listed some reasons before, but here are my big two reasons for why I believe DIPJ.

1. If some other day event comes up involving the nog, he's going to be caught in the lie, and he (presumably) has no idea what's in store with it as scum. That's not the kind of play you make when you're this comfortably in the lead as scum, that's the kind of play you make when it's a hail mary and you think you can win before you get caught.

(Also, if he's lying, we'll find out soon.)

2. We have a doctor, and an empowerer, why would our only investigation be a one-shot role cop? "Empowerer gives cop powers" makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than "1x Rolecop and then you're done".

(On the other hand, it's possible Ernie is lying about being one-shot so he can get more results tonight without getting killed.)

1. I believe that the nog thing is one giant lie and he has complete control over what it does. You're right in that the nog play absent knowledge of what it does is a hail mary, but if you know what it's going to do then it's anything but.

2. I would put a very, very large amount of money on Ernie lying about being oneshot. But as town I would do exactly the same.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'll hammer, but I'm keeping it open for chat until nearer the deadline.

My reasons are as listed earlier.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hello friends. I'm about to go out so I want to hammer before I do.

Does anyone have anything interesting to add? Imma take a shower and be back in a half hour to do the deed.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I take the absolute silence as nobody really caring.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
##vote DIPJ

:redhammer:

Let it never be said that I didn't give fair warning.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh lol whoops.

##unvote

No redhammer, keep playing. I didn't catch the unvote.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

CirclMastr posted:

I just want to tell you both good luck, we're all counting on you.

Aight, I'm going to be out drinking now so my vote is now probably out for the count.

As a closing remark.

What on earth did you mean by this CM?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

CirclMastr posted:

You know what? I don't need anyone's permission to claim. gently caress it, I'm terrible at Mafia anyway I don't care if this isn't game theory optimal.

I'm a town-aligned bodyguard with a one-shot bulletproof. I won't be notified when my bulletproof aspect is used. I haven't taken any night actions because bodyguarding random people seems dumb so I was waiting for some kind of claim, I was planning to bodyguard dipj but whatever.

Also my flavor is about being "the man with the iron stomach" so I figured I would have some level of protection against nog side effects, so I drank it.

Wait wait.

So you have bodyguard with a shot of bulletproof and you choose not to use it.

And your reason is that you might accidentally protect a scum player.

Jesus Christ just use your abilities!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So I was going to make a long case.

But I think it's dipj.

##vote dipj

:redhammer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Honestly I feel a little bad. I bitched in the scumdoc about how lurking to victory was just a good strategy and D3 I didn't post anything apart from the hammer.

This was because I was meticulously building my game spreadsheet and two potential fake claims with meticulous flavour text and backing from my posts.

I'm really sad I didn't get to fakeclaim either of them. We'd settled on Busdriver as the more dangerous but utterly hilarious choice because of the ensuing chaos, but I also had a Nurse claim ready to go as well.

Ah well, good game everyone and shoutouts to Ernie for being patient, especially with constantly having to say "No don't do that, that's a stupid idea."

• Locked thread