Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

1gnoirents posted:

yeah this is definitely what ... we need... to be focusing on... actual problems affecting all 9.3 people in the entire US military ... or you know... anything else... dot dot dot

ive heard of the three fifths rule but this is ridiculous!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Being trans isn't a medical issue and doesn't impede a person's ability to serve in the military in any way, just like being Chinese, a woman, or having blonde hair has no bearing on aptitude.

If you're receiving hormone therapy you can't serve in the military because you can't serve in the military if you're undergoing any kind of ongoing medical treatment. I assume that this is the underlying issue that is being distorted by our massively retarded president and his appointees.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Being trans isn't a medical issue and doesn't impede a person's ability to serve in the military in any way, just like being Chinese, a woman, or having blonde hair has no bearing on aptitude.

How is being trans not a medical issue? Doesn't it require regular injections and in some cases surgery?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

neither does having diabetes except for the fact that you need medicine daily which is a disqualifying condition in military aptitude but of course this is an issue of trans bigotry and not strict requirements that preclude tons of regular people for things that aren't debilitating or life altering

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

nigga crab pollock posted:

as for the military the military was never going to let trans people into the military anyways. like not only would most trans people probably not want to go into the military but their medical standards likely would exclude anyone having to go through hormone therapy, aka literally every trans person. but of course it is an issue of bigotry, not just organizational goals that don't align with a minority population's lifestyle requirements

there are currently serving trans people. Trump is reversing the stance on trans soldiers. There are already trans people in the military

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

first they came for the traps

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Guy Goodbody posted:

there are currently serving trans people. Trump is reversing the stance on trans soldiers. There are already trans people in the military

so do you have the salon.com article about why you need to be upset about this or something because the details aren't adding up pal

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

If you need to know why transgender people need to be banned from the Armed Forces, you need only watch this documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPrswLN0Mnc&t=263s

(alright it's about homosexuals but the point remains)

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

myDad posted:

The Democrats were already split with Sanders & Clinton, Trump is playing 4D chess by driving more wedges into the DNC

e: But we all know who's really at work here...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

so do you have the salon.com article about why you need to be upset about this or something because the details aren't adding up pal

It's pretty stupid to have a blanket ban that includes people who otherwise wouldn't be disqualified.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

the democrats have been playing The White Man's Burden card on trans activism but the problem with that is that most people don't give a poo poo. its something the democrats are absolutely going to waste their time and political capital on fighting and like 9 out of 10 people truly and honestly do not give a single gently caress. please do not take this post as an attempt to say that most people hate trans people, but people do not care about them enough to be willing to go to bat politically for it and it is not an issue that will push people to go out and vote over it. it and all other identity politics is an auxillary time waster the democrats used to avoid talking about real issues

as for the military the military was never going to let trans people into the military anyways. like not only would most trans people probably not want to go into the military but their medical standards likely would exclude anyone having to go through hormone therapy, aka literally every trans person. but of course it is an issue of bigotry, not just organizational goals that don't align with a minority population's lifestyle requirements

since this is a Big Deal and trump is personally going out of his way to attack trans people instead of this being a clearly beneficial political maneuver, tune in to Late Night with John Oliver to get the hottest scoops on what opinion you're supposed to have on this matter - spoilers, it's 'really mad'
15 thousand trans people already serve.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

the gbs hates women meme. user is probated for 15 thousand days.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
you can be trans without going through hormone therapy. if hormone therapy is the disqualifying factor there then well what do you know that changes the framing of this issue significantly and explains why there are some active serving trans people

there are a lot of details here that are lacking that would really clear things up and it should be making your skeptic alarm bells go off here but hey what do i know im not wearing a safety pin nor have i changed my facebook profile to an equals sign im basically a bigot

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

you can be trans without going through hormone therapy. if hormone therapy is the disqualifying factor there then well what do you know that changes the framing of this issue significantly and explains why there are some active serving trans people
There was no disqualifying factor before today. The entire policy is one tweet saying no trans people can serve.

The military is the largest single employer of transgender Americans.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Bholder posted:

Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

hes still mad about and knows what the safety pin and equals sign memes are. youre not dealing with the top brass of this discussion

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

the democrats have been playing The White Man's Burden card on trans activism but the problem with that is that most people don't give a poo poo. its something the democrats are absolutely going to waste their time and political capital on fighting and like 9 out of 10 people truly and honestly do not give a single gently caress. please do not take this post as an attempt to say that most people hate trans people, but people do not care about them enough to be willing to go to bat politically for it and it is not an issue that will push people to go out and vote over it. it and all other identity politics is an auxillary time waster the democrats used to avoid talking about real issues

since this is a Big Deal and trump is personally going out of his way to attack trans people instead of this being a clearly beneficial political maneuver, tune in to Late Night with John Oliver to get the hottest scoops on what opinion you're supposed to have on this matter - spoilers, it's 'really mad'

Don't have the opinions the media tells you to have, instead have the opinions I tell you to have.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well I can say that the military's ETS readiness program has improved considerably since I was in. All the former TG service members will have full access to the VA and should have no problem getting a good paying job. Even though it was a failed program by a horrible president I hope they can go on with dignity in their lives.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

IPCRESS posted:

RAND places it at 4k total - 2.5k active, 1.5k reserve.

Is there some underlying reason, or is it just plain old fashioned bigotry?

A pundid on CNN sainf the number of transgender individuals serving in the military is between 11,000 and 15,000. So it will impact a lot of people. I was surprised that some many trans Americans want to serve

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
this stinks of media circus even though i dont know jack poo poo about trans people and despite my mountainous ignorance on the topic i am still looking on in disbelief at everyone taking all of this at face value

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

i dont know jack poo poo about trans people

this is obvious

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

this stinks of media circus even though i dont know jack poo poo about trans people and despite my mountainous ignorance on the topic i am still standing firm that its manufactured hysteria to try and make people mad

and you accuse other people of forming opinions with insufficient knowledge.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Someone from Goons in Platoons might be able to give us a better explanation

Danforth
Jul 11, 2008
TRANS people are a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in T and spiro, and the losses in surgery.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Decebal posted:

Someone from Goons in Platoons might be able to give us a better explanation

Not anymore, they were all just collectively kicked out of the military.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i can't wait for the history books to document how this chapter in trans rights was announced via a loving tweet.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Decebal posted:

A pundid on CNN sainf the number of transgender individuals serving in the military is between 11,000 and 15,000. So it will impact a lot of people. I was surprised that some many trans Americans want to serve

That's 1% of all military personnel. That seems disproportionally high for a group that's maybe 0.3% of the total population.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Stexils posted:

and you accuse other people of forming opinions with insufficient knowledge.

no i accuse people of forming opinions based on what other people tell them are Correct but implying that i made that assertion betrays the fact that you are more interested in using semantics to try and shut me up than actually having a discussion on the topic though

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The_Franz posted:

That's 1% of all military personnel. That seems disproportionally high for a group that's maybe 0.3% of the total population.

people who are as a group frequently poor, homeless, or otherwise ostracized tend to turn to the military and its promise of a stable job/food/housing more frequently, news at 11

this stinks of media circus even though i dont know jack poo poo about trans people and despite my mountainous ignorance on the topic i am still looking on in disbelief at everyone taking all of this at face value

i can't stop loving laughing

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

OWLS! posted:

Not anymore, they were all just collectively kicked out of the military.

This is some good business.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stexils posted:

i can't wait for the history books to document how this chapter in trans rights was announced via a loving tweet.

does something the president says have binding authority

like doesnt he have to tell the sec of def to kick them all out all official like and someone has to write it down on the paper with the letterhead

like if the president tweeted 'all my generals are fired' that isnt what fires the generals

right

double line break

double line break

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

does something the president says have binding authority

like doesnt he have to tell the sec of def to kick them all out all official like and someone has to write it down on the paper with the letterhead

like if the president tweeted 'all my generals are fired' that isnt what fires the generals

right

double line break

double line break

everything the president tweets has executive authority. its like rule of law, but in 140 characters or less

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

no i accuse people of forming opinions based on what other people tell them are Correct but implying that i made that assertion betrays the fact that you are more interested in using semantics to try and shut me up than actually having a discussion on the topic though

yeah i don't generally have "discussions" with people who don't know what they're talking about, which you've made extremely explicitly clear you don't, especially when they try to talk from a position of authority like you do.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

I think we should let anyone fight even if we need to cut their dick off or inject them with hormones. What matters is loving your country.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
why does anyone care what orange man tweets at this point

as far as the issue at hand i honestly don't care, thanks and god bless

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

World War Mammories posted:

people who are as a group frequently poor, homeless, or otherwise ostracized tend to turn to the military and its promise of a stable job/food/housing more frequently, news at 11

The last I checked, the military isn't a homeless shelter nor a halfway house

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Stexils posted:

yeah i don't generally have "discussions" with people who don't know what they're talking about, which you've made extremely explicitly clear you don't, especially when they try to talk from a position of authority like you do.

lol

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

so is literally seeing the tweet enough or is there something we shouldn't know

i mean, i think we're here discussing the tweet from donald trump where he says he doesn't want transgendered people in the military in any role

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

So what kinds of sources should we use to form opinions? Or should we just try to reason everything out from first principles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
you don't know what your talking about so im not going to waste any more of my time bothering to explain what you should know

blahblahblah repeat a thousand times close thread

• Locked thread