Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tonetta posted:

it actually makes sense that so many trans people are in the military because that's the place you go when you can't figure out what the gently caress is wrong with your life or nobody else will hire you
I've heard this too, yeah. Also if you need to get out of dodge at 18 because of a messed-up family situation.

Also if you're trans and survived then you're probably stone-cold and mentally tough. Make for better soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Nothing is still better than Obamacare

Not for all those people projected to lose coverage. You're not a very good democrat.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think the idea is that if you transitioned or at least accepted your true gender, you made a choice that averted your own death (by suicide) since being trapped in the wrong body is a living hell others will never understand; i.e. you realize unlike most people that there are fates worse than death.

Well I dunno. I'm just a cis schlub.

But the few trans people I've known were tough as nails and didn't seem like the type who scare easily.

So what I'm saying is we need trans soldiers in powered battle armor deployable anywhere in suborbital rocket troop carriers.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Eunuchs. The Roman and Byzantine emperors trusted eunuchs above all others. The US needs eunuchs.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Chaos is always more exciting that boring predictability ! That's why I'm starting to be pleasantly surprised by Trump. I hated the guy in the beginning, thinking he will become another neoliberal president that does the same old boring speeches and platitudes.

But this guy has a small change to seriously destabilize the whole system. Finally the future seems so unpredictable and I love it !

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Neutrino posted:

Eunuchs. The Roman and Byzantine emperors trusted eunuchs above all others. The US needs eunuchs.

It didn't work so well for the Chinese though

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Also if you're trans and survived then you're probably stone-cold and mentally tough.

most trans ive met do appear to have sociopathic tendencies

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Carmant posted:

You were talking to a mirror.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Decebal posted:

It didn't work so well for the Chinese though

It worked for the Chinese except when it didnt

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

FactsAreUseless posted:

You were talking to a mirror.

I dont own a mirror

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Meme Emulator posted:

It worked for the Chinese except when it didnt

Yeah well, I still support cutting off the dicks of anyone who serves. It will only make America stronger.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Carmant posted:

To be fair to them, they've just met you

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nucleic Acids posted:

Looks like we're backsliding to the Bush years.

stuff is never inevitable or permanetn

sla-ver-y! sla-ver-y! sla-ver-y!

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fruit on the bottom posted:

To be fair to them, they've just met you

even though i do not like you i appreciate this burn

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I've heard this too, yeah. Also if you need to get out of dodge at 18 because of a messed-up family situation.

Also if you're trans and survived then you're probably stone-cold and mentally tough. Make for better soldiers.

I dunno if this is necessarily true. There's a difference between stress types and while people who are able to come to terms with who they are and what their place in society is are certainly mentally more tenacious than your average Joe, seeing friends die randomly or being permanently crippled or disabled through violence, or being under constant threat thereof is a way different ballgame.

Granted, trans folks are probably used to being under threat of violence or betrayal, but you can't tell me it's on the scale of ieds and gunfights that make people afraid of the fourth of july for the rest of their lives.

That said, I wonder what kind of personality types do make good soldiers? You can't be a total sociopath- loyalty and pack mentality play a big part in armed forces psychology. But it's not like you can ask normal people to murder without serious conditioning anyway, and even then it doesn't always work.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Basically, trans people gotta deal with enough poo poo without having to worry about murder dreams I say give em all ice cream

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Ancient times must have been awful for trans folk. I know India had regions that accepted a 3rd gender or something.

Are the rates higher today or it's just an illusion because nobody wanted to identify as such before is was more socially accepted ?

I wonder if there is a difference between the rates of MtF and FtM and if there is what is the cause ?

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
where do JOhn and Lorena Bobbitt stand among the trans* culture

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

even though i do not like you i appreciate this burn

I got no beef with you

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Decebal posted:

I guess I would be against someone joining the Military just because otherwise they couldn't afford hormone treatment.

Join for the love of country & freedom like everyone else

lmfao

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr President posted:

I dont think tax payers should have to pay for someone's gender reassignment and the medical care that comes with it.

too bad bitch

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Decebal posted:

Ancient times must have been awful for trans folk. I know India had regions that accepted a 3rd gender or something.

Are the rates higher today or it's just an illusion because nobody wanted to identify as such before is was more socially accepted ?

I wonder if there is a difference between the rates of MtF and FtM and if there is what is the cause ?

why would trans rates be higher now that you can actually get surgery and treatment? thats so weird

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
*monsignor trumppe, to joan of arc* sorry but we don't want any of these trannies in our armed forces

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

why would trans rates be higher now that you can actually get surgery and treatment? thats so weird

I meant if the % of people who experience gender dysphoria remained constant over time or if our modern world with it's pollution disrupting endocrine systems has an impact ?

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Carmant posted:

There are a lot of psychological problems that are comorbid to transgenderism. I wonder why that is?

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

I meant if the % of people who experience gender dysphoria remained constant over time or if our modern world with it's pollution disrupting endocrine systems has an impact ?

Or is it the malady du jour?

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

the wrongthink meme

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Nothing is still better than Obamacare

I'll be sure to inform my friend he would be better off dead than have Obamacare. Since they'd you know be dead by now.

KawaiiAtomicBombs
Apr 15, 2016

~Ka-Boom~
All transgenders are welcome in my army :hitler:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

tenspott posted:

There are a lot of psychological problems that are comorbid to transgenderism. I wonder why that is?

Hmmmm, why would people who are assigned the wrong sex at birth, and then shunned and feared when they try and fix that, have mental health issues? :iiam:

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
They aren't going to die without their meds like a diabetic or asthmatic so I don't see the problem. A lot of enlisted people are already really gay anyway, the gayness in the military is so out of control that they used to have a rule against talking about it constantly

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

PetraCore posted:

Yeah like also, I don't think my taxpayer money should go towards weapons of mass destruction or vanity projects for military departments trying to spend as much money as fast as possible so they can keep an inflated budget, but it turns out I don't get a direct say in that because that's not how representative democracy works. A shocker!!

To be honest, you don't have any control over where your tax dollars are spent now anyway. Politicians may say they'll do a thing with it, but you have no choice but to trust that your Rep is going to remember that he works for you when much larger pocketbooks are informing him that he works for them instead.

The problem of spending tax dollars is honestly really bad for a variety of reasons, one being that folks are uneducated on how taxes work and why they are valuable (see: extreme libertarians) and another being that some people want tax dollars to go towards things like welfare and gender reassignment surgeries and free puppies and others want their tax dollars to go towards better police forces, road construction and more public shooting tournaments and as with everything in America, a middle ground just cannot be found. Add to all of that the trillions of dollars of debt that the U.S. owes to just about everybody and their mother and you have a real problem of money being the source of all consternation.

I can't help but wonder if there couldn't be a system, like a U.S. citizen equivalent of Facebook, where you could basically go in and inform state tax agencies on where you'd like your portion of taxes to be distributed. It'd be kind of wonderful, even if it is ultimately unrealistic, for everybody to basically just pay for what they want vis-a-vis taxes; then you'd no longer be able to complain about welfare queens because you aren't funding welfare.

Unfortunately, this would likely result in a lot of fiscally uneducated people bankrupting a number of valuable tax-funded services, programs and the like because they don't realize how much they need those things until they are gone.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsdeAF_Prfo

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I can't help but wonder if there couldn't be a system, like a U.S. citizen equivalent of Facebook, where you could basically go in and inform state tax agencies on where you'd like your portion of taxes to be distributed. It'd be kind of wonderful, even if it is ultimately unrealistic, for everybody to basically just pay for what they want vis-a-vis taxes; then you'd no longer be able to complain about welfare queens because you aren't funding welfare.

I read a sci-fi short story with that as a worldbuilding element but I guess that just serves to show you how unrealistic it is, haha. It's a nice fantasy when you're frustrated but I don't think it'd really work. Not like representative democracy is going great though this election cycle.

I confess I've got a certain morbid fascination for the way things are just clusterfucking even though I'm part of a few groups Steve Bannon and Mike Pence really really don't like, as are most of my friends. Like, people wanted Trump to say the military wouldn't pay for GRS for trans soldiers, right? And that'd be a reasonable declaration, even though it's one I personally disagree with, esp since with other infrastructure in place it'd be easier for trans soldiers to hopefully just save up money to pay for it themselves. But then he goes and unilaterally declares he's kicking all trans people out of the armed forces... in a tweet...

I'm furious but it's so dumb it's also hilarious?

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I wouldn't put too much stock in anything said on Twitter. The most disruptive things that would happen as a result of allowing transgender people in the military would be guys claiming it so they don't have to cut their hair or meet male PT requirements, and increased enlistment among millenials

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Idk that this is an effective strategy for Republicans. They tried this poo poo in NC and it backfired on them.

If Republicans stick to economic issues and playing the faux-populist card to confuse everything they can win easily. The Democrats are a mess right now, the party leaders are trying to hold down an insurgent progressive movement and many progressives in the party are willing to play the accelerationist card to clean the corporate dems out. Republicans can only win things right now so long as everyone believes that civil rights are not threatened enough by them to make Democrats of any type an appealing alternative.

They have to be completely bumfuck retarded to think they can win on hard right social issues still...

That war is lost. It's not over yet of course, but we are post-Gettysburg on that motherfucker, and Sherman is torching the South right now. Giving the Evangelical right anything will cost too much of the center now.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 28, 2017

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

The Pussy Boss posted:

Hmmmm, why would people who are assigned the wrong sex at birth, and then shunned and feared when they try and fix that, have mental health issues? :iiam:

When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

tenspott posted:

When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras.

Why? Like, lay it out for me here.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

tenspott posted:

There are a lot of psychological problems that are comorbid to serving in the military. I wonder why that is?

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

PetraCore posted:

Why? Like, lay it out for me here.

hes not arguing in good faith bub, check the probes before you waste your time

• Locked thread