Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Breadallelogram posted:

It's very funny to compare valve's public image 10 years ago to today

Pretend I unironically quoted "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Leal posted:

I wonder if Valve refunded the guy his hundred or if they pocketed it.

What does your heart tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Pretend I unironically quoted "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

What does your heart tell you

On one hand, steam likes money

On the other, they hate chargebacks

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
They have a thing where you get the $100 fee back if you gross $1000 in sales, IIRC. I wasn't paying much attention to those specific games, so I dunno if they would have hit that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Leal posted:

I also like their thing of "what is defined as a game". I dunno valve, maybe it can have a loving executable? Don't act like steam has taken money for games that literally don't have an executable.

That's them trying to touch on the controversy (read: dogwhistle bullshit) surrounding walking sims like Gone Home or stuff like Mountain. It's an amazingly pointless distinction because of what you said, and also because Steam isn't solely a marketplace for games anyway.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

That's them trying to touch on the controversy (read: dogwhistle bullshit) surrounding walking sims like Gone Home or stuff like Mountain. It's an amazingly pointless distinction because of what you said, and also because Steam isn't solely a marketplace for games anyway.

Who the gently caress in Valve even believes that bullshit, surely a multi-billion dollar company can withstand people thinking that Depression Quest can isn't a game?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

It's been a while since I have paid attention to PC. What are some good indie jams from the last say, 2 years, that I should look for in the upcoming Steam sale?
In case you haven't got your answer yet: Nothing good has come out in that time, nothing good will ever come out again, and death and disappointment are the only certainties.

I've been playing Immortal Redneck a bit this morning since I got it in the chrono.gg sale, it's pretty decent.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Junkfist posted:

With all the hentai pussy coming my way I'LL be an Active Shooter woo baby I'm ready to NUT.

:popeye:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Propaganda Hour posted:

I, for one, am glad that valve are fully abdicating their responsibility to curate their store so that we can get thousands more titles like this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/868970/Cut_The_ExGirlfriends/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/791540/Maybe_Drinking_Russian_Style/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/847660/Story_Heaven__Hell/

I mean, I could filter out those tags, but then I'd be filtering out Indie and Adventure.

Right, all their talk of filters is useless. At best you can filter out anime assuming there is nothing there you want. If you filter out sexual content for example you'd hit Witcher, Mass Effect. And none of those would remove the thousands of super low effort garbage "games". Even if they add publisher/developer there's as many of those as games and the garbage flippers change their name often.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Someone should make an adblocker like plug-in that filters out shovelware.

Edit: Maybe Valve can add group curated blacklists to these upcoming tools.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Best I can tell, their filters don't work whatsoever. I have VR games filtered and they still show up everywhere.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Filters aren't a solution. If I block anime then there goes S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Carecat posted:

Right, all their talk of filters is useless. At best you can filter out anime assuming there is nothing there you want. If you filter out sexual content for example you'd hit Witcher, Mass Effect. And none of those would remove the thousands of super low effort garbage "games". Even if they add publisher/developer there's as many of those as games and the garbage flippers change their name often.

Plus, if they intend to expand the tagging system so that users can filter out games like that, then any game that gets review-bombed is suddenly going to find itself tagged as an asset flip, since users are the ones who determine what tags apply to games and Steam's official position on inaccurate tags is "well, it looks like that's how users perceive your game".

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Thuryl posted:

Plus, if they intend to expand the tagging system so that users can filter out games like that, then any game that gets review-bombed is suddenly going to find itself tagged as an asset flip, since users are the ones who determine what tags apply to games and Steam's official position on inaccurate tags is "well, it looks like that's how users perceive your game".

Then again I remember that Valve axed tags like "Mobile Port" because developers complained en masse

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's almost like handing any kind of (potential) financial control to gamers is basically giving rabid animals weaponry.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ikari Worrier posted:

Then again I remember that Valve axed tags like "Mobile Port" because developers complained en masse
Yeah, they moderated attempts at being Funny Buggers with tags shortly after that feature's debut after people slung around tags like "Diva Dev" and other such uncomplimentary things.

I dunno if they still moderate such things, but reviews seem to be the weapon nowadays.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Geomancing posted:

Best I can tell, their filters don't work whatsoever. I have VR games filtered and they still show up everywhere.
~conspiracy theory~ but I filter out a lot of tags and VR is the only one that regularly doesn't get properly filtered out for reasons that I am sure are because Valve is just bad at programming their storefront rather than because they are directly involved in selling the enabling hardware.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Are the VR games you're seeing all-VR-all-the-time or games that have it bolted on as an extra feature like Overload? If it somehow differentiates between the two, that'd be interesting, but it's more likely that there's just some bug somewhere.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

Are the VR games you're seeing all-VR-all-the-time or games that have it bolted on as an extra feature like Overload? If it somehow differentiates between the two, that'd be interesting, but it's more likely that there's just some bug somewhere.

There is an option built into steam to filter VR games explicitly but the odd VR only game does slip through.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

There is an option built into steam to filter VR games explicitly but the odd VR only game does slip through.
I actually forgot about that checkbox and was assuming they were blocking the "VR" tag or something, so that's my bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

iGestalt posted:

Yes please. I have 20,733 games seen on my queue and 20,630 as "Not Interested" and I still get tons of poo poo from the same sweatshop dev making GBS threads out "putin vs ISIS" asset flips.

when tags came out there were some that said asset flip or whatever and of course valve removed them because thats bad for sales. so dont expect anything like that ever ok

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Mind you, tags are not meant to completely hide a genre.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't understand how valve thinks the tag system is going to be even slightly useful for filtering when everyone has been jokingly mistagging everything since tags were introduced.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't understand how valve thinks the tag system is going to be even slightly useful for filtering when everyone has been jokingly mistagging everything since tags were introduced.

Looks like its working fine to me :v:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

corn in the bible posted:

when tags came out there were some that said asset flip or whatever and of course valve removed them because thats bad for sales. so dont expect anything like that ever ok

they also removed a "Mobile Game" tag that was great to filter out the crappy phone ports

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

CapnAndy posted:

There's no way to read that policy other than "start the Rapelay ports".

no, it'll be:

Honey Select 2, now with integrated Workshop support!

Developer: Illusion
Publisher: FAKKU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Samuringa posted:

they also removed a "Mobile Game" tag that was great to filter out the crappy phone ports

I'm pissed they removed that, there's definitely a couple games I wouldn't have purchased had I known in advance were crappy mobile game ports. Like, if it's a problem for the devs they could try putting more effort into their lovely ports.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like people are already gonna try finding if there's any boundaries by way of a "more shameless pandering" version of what I understand to be a pretty crappy horror game.

https://twitter.com/AgonyGame/status/1004508687732559872

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Det_no posted:

Mind you, tags are not meant to completely hide a genre.

I can't even work out where this page is and I've used steam for 14 years.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Propaganda Hour posted:

Keep in mind that Valve have already have a bad reputation of not blocking "illegal" and "troll" content from their store.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/evkp3a/active-shooter-removed-from-steam-by-valve

Active Shooter should never have been on the store. The developer/publisher was banned from Steam in 2017, but of course Valve didn't think the guy would ever just set up a new company to get on steam.

I've seen this a few times.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/361461/creator-of-active-shooter-speaks-out-im-no-psychopath

tl,dr: wasn't that guy, but someone he knew

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Carecat posted:

I can't even work out where this page is and I've used steam for 14 years.
Click your name at the top of the page > Preferences

It could definitely be made more visible, yeah.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Morter posted:

I have a feeling it's the 'burst' stat. Compare with more repetitively described guns!

What game is this?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
for those trying to play totally accurate battlegrounds;

ready up, reload the menu, ready up again

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

for those trying to play totally accurate battlegrounds;

ready up, reload the menu, ready up again
Thanks for this. What a charmingly silly game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

corn in the bible posted:

I remember there was also an LGBT tag that they had to remove because it was used more for trolling than for actually marking games with LGBT content, which is kinda funny on some level but also tells you something about how useful the current tagging system is.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Turd Herder posted:

What game is this?

A not-so-good game that one goon friend considered "EDF with school girls"

School Girl/Zombie Hunter.

It's campy but I'm sorta enjoying it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Samuringa posted:

it was also funny because it would tell you which tags you had the most of and mine were "russian" and "weird"

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Can anyone recommend something RPG-ish (but not turn based) that has a lot of good grinding and leveling up? Even a F2P MMO is fine if the combat is good. Thanks.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 7, 2018

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

lol

https://store.steampowered.com/app/682570/SGZH_School_GirlZombie_Hunter/

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Bottom Liner posted:

Can anyone recommend something RPG-ish that has a lot of good grinding and leveling up? Even a F2P MMO is fine if the combat is good. Thanks.

My immediate thought would be the Disgaea games, with levels going up to 9999

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Bottom Liner posted:

Can anyone recommend something RPG-ish (but not turn based) that has a lot of good grinding and leveling up? Even a F2P MMO is fine if the combat is good. Thanks.

i mean any mobile game like granblue or girls' frontline or fate grand order or fire emblem whatever fits the bill p much