Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Prey or X-Com 2012?
Never played X-com in any form but played a lot of fallout 1-2. Prey, never played system shock either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

XCom 1 is real good but if you have the scratch for Prey then you have the scratch for XCom 2, which is EVEN BETTER, and has an expansion coming out in a month!

I really enjoy the XCom series because it requires 0 dexterity, it's purely a tactics and planning (and RNGesus prayers/Accurate Swords mods)

Kai Tave posted:

I mean they're both good games but if you don't have a particular leaning in any given direction based on previous experiences with similar titles then it depends on whether you're in the mood for A). a turn based small unit tactics game with an emphasis on cover and flanking or B). an atmospheric horror FPS with an emphasis on exploration.

QuarkJets posted:

If it helps you decide: pretty good tactics game that kind of unfairly punishes new players or almost perfect survival horror FPS game where the survival horror part slowly falls away as you unlock skills
I'm going with X-Com. Thanks for the advice.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

anyone playing wizard of legend? i want to complain about it with someone. i won't recommend it because its kinda of undercooked. but its an unique experience at least.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Care to complain here? The trailer looks good.
its avatar the last airbender mixed with wow spell rotations. its pretty fast and satisfying when it comes together. but there are some counter intuitive mechanics that hold it back. the players gets no invicibility frames and its easily the reason why the game is hard. a group of enemies can pummel the player, interrupt your spells, and seriously hurt you before you know it. the game extremely stingy when it comes to resources. there are dozens of items and spells to use but spells are limited to 4 initially. items are limited to one. you can buy more spell slots and items but money is also limited, forcing hard decisions. healing is next to non-existent. you can buy a potion but that requires money, stretching that resource even farther. its not a bad game but its hard to enjoy. once you figure out which abilities flow with each other, the game suddenly becomes a lot easier. wol is just lacking a sense of adventure. its combat focused to a fault.

if it was early access, i'd give it some leeway. but what you see is what you get and its feels closer to a well done demo than a full fledged game. not in terms of bugs but lacking gameplay beyond splatting the same monsters over and over, in the same dungeons, usually with the same tactics.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

How feature complete is Oxygen Not Included? I'm always wary of Early Access games.

I've had it pitched to me as a combination of Don't Starve and Factorio, which is really making me wish it had a demo since I loved Factorio but quickly burned out on Don't Starve (though I did like the artstyle).

its complete. it basically sandbox/survival mode now. there is no ending. it could be released tomorrow.
its neither, its the sims with science. its nothing like factorio. its not really like don't starve because there is little action. its just a 2d ant farm in space. but they try to use basic physical science to model gas flow, temperature, phase changes.

temple fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 23, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

Hmm, I see. Thanks for the low-down.

So would it be fair to call it a more user-friendly Dwarf Fortress then? Babysitting your colonists while you direct them to expand your sprawling base until someone makes a mistake and you all die? I'm a fair-weather fan of that sort of base/city-building exercise, though I prefer a sense of direction where I can get it.

the main dev basically wanted to make DF but in space. it has no real combat tho. the aliens are friendly but you can shoot them anyway.

i've played for like 600 hrs obviously i like it. the big issue is that it gets very technical (like a factorio) when it comes to create plumbing, power lines, and ventilation. probably too technical because the mid phase of the game is basically just piping stuff until you get stable.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

so i waited a million years to buy rage, got it for $3 on steam sale. and yeah, perfectly priced.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

i was thinking of getting wh40k gladius but reviews made it sound simple and feature lite (no diplomacy). so i thought about getting endless legend. i'm a first time player to 4x games. should i stick with gladius or try my hand with endless legend?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you ever played Civ?

long time ago.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I picked up WH40K Gladius the other day and have been having a blast. It barely qualifies as a 4X though. What it is is a turn-based and hex-based re-creation of the original Dawn of War games. This is something I never knew I wanted but seems blindingly obvious now.

As for a babby's first 4X I can recommend Warlock 2: The Exiled. It's pretty fun and colourful. Alternately, anything Civ is good and I've got hundreds of hours out of the Total War: Warhammer games and Stellaris although neither of those are traditional civ style 4x games.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

e:wrong thread

temple fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 14, 2019