Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It looks like superhot 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

I didn't say they were succeeding at it!

I mean if it is the superhot guys (it really, really looks like it is, given the art style) then it isn't surprising; superhot's entire campaign was a meme they gave you at the end to spread around and that worked out really well for them.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

One thing i really enjoyed about Rise was Lara's super obvious PTSD in the beginning and as soon as she gets fired upon in the jeep she switches back immediately to hardcore murder Lara, it's great.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

People always like to bring up ~ludonarrative dissonance~ when it comes to the new Tomb Raiders but Lara Croft being some posh archaeology grad who brutally murders people is honestly a highlight of the series, not a drawback.

Oh I absolutely agree. I enjoy her descent into madness in 1 and in 2 it's her kinda trying to deal with it for maybe about thirty minutes before she slides right back into enjoying killing people is good poo poo.

Like my favorite thing in the first one is her going "abloo abloo what have i done oh no" from her first kill to near the end of the game where she blows up a door and screams at panicking soldiers that she's found a grenade launcher and she's going to kill them all. :allears:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

gently caress yeah there is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDVX3zVES6E

Not in Pinball FX though. It's in the season 3 pack for this game. That price is uhhhh though

I've never seen the table before and I'm glad it lives up to the kickass theme song.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

rayman started the thicc meme

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

I can normally tell, I just meant that one(hitman:absolution shot) wasn't a great example.

Honestly, I don't care 30 v 60 as long as it's consistent. 60 is awful when the game is poorly programmed and it regularly dips below 60.

Yeah, my rule is either you're locked at a rock solid 30 with no dips or you're 60+. Dipping from 84-60 isn't really noticable but going from 60-45 is super jarring.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

This is pretty integral to the character. They're not invulnerable Batmen, they just prepare really well. In the books, Geralt is killed by a peasant with a pitchfork.

Yeah, the most important thing about the Witchers is that they cheat. They cheat constantly, all the time, it's how they live. The oils and the signs are part of that; they make sure the battlefield and the fight are significantly biased in their favor. It's rad as hell.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

steam community awards are in lol communities are dumb as gently caress

How did cuphead beat nier and Sonic mania

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Digirat posted:

Steam maintenance happen every tuesday.

Don't feel bad, I always forget if it's Tuesday or Thursday.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Really Pants posted:

play Pyre

but stay away from Yerp, it is highly overrated

He could also try Yepr, the dad conversation sim.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I feel like you may have some serious nostalgia goggles because my memory of bell bros was just ganging up on people endlessly which is not really that entertaining or particularly creative. The areas weren't even that fun to invade in, they were tiny and there was little room for creativity. Ratbros were great though, even if after a while people just learned how to speedrun past all your CLEVER TRAPS to the boss fog. Honestly my main issue with invading in Souls 2 is that the zones are so... Bland. It's just not very fun to invade in nearly all of the non-dlc areas.

Bell bros were fun because you were allowed to gimmick, which I did. DS3 ruined it because they broke the area covenants and heavily weighted invasions to people that had 2+ people in their thing already so you'd almost always run into nothing but gank squads. gently caress dark souls 3.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

WHITE PHOSPHORUS

The WP scene is bad because you aren't actually given a choice about doing it. You are forced to do it to continue playing the game. It's where the narrative breaks down. Even the illusion of a choice would have been better, but you aren't provided one.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

That scene is not about choice. Luco objecting with something to the effect of "There's always a choice" and Walker responding with "No, there really isn't" wasn't just a line to excuse there was no option given.

Then you've abstracted the choice away from the player and directly to Walker, the surrogate, which negates the point the game is trying to make.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

It's not about you, it's about military games and stuff.

Were people like, super confused when James couldn't just drive away from Silent Hill? Like I don't have a dead wife so what's the big deal??

Oh, I assumed the point the game was making was about the player being complicit in the actions in game rather than a commentary on the genre. Whoops!

Orv posted:

Well you see they hired Kit Harrington for the villain and it was all downhill from there.

It was just aggressively obvious that someone at Sledgehammer got a memo that said "Mission Impossible in space" and what Infinite Warfare was instead was "Not Really Black Hawk Down in space, if the commanding officers of every involved military force were retarded".

E: Texas murderbot was neat at least, if a bit obvious at times.

It's a hard fight between IW and Ghosts for being the dumbest imo. Ghosts is so goddamn dumb.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Too Shy Guy posted:

I did eversion last Platformebruary, but as you can imaging I can't say a whole lot about it. As far as I'm concerned it still holds up, though. Creepy Castle's not on my list this year but I'll keep it in mind for the future!

The best part about Eversion other than the fun twist is the music, I think. It's good!

Barry Convex posted:

I gave Omegaland a shot, but I couldn't get past the lack of controller support or the framerate seemingly being capped at 50fps, both of which are inexcusable in this genre, IMO. Shame, as it seemed intriguing.

Why 50? This isn't 1990's Europe!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://ridiculon.bandcamp.com/album/the-end-is-nigh-ost

The soundtrack is really good also, even though it's just remixes of older piano pieces.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mgsv was incredible and close to perfect. If they'd only finished the game...

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

Super bad work environment. poo poo like if you were a game dev and they thought you weren't needed they'd reassign you to some janitorial position and then get you blackballed when you eventually left.

Konami would also assign you an email address that was something like OKUN-4039@konami or whatever and then reassign that email address every month to prevent employees from establishing business connections.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

you sound like a sociopath

He might just work for Konami and is being forced to defend them at gunpoint or be forced to clean poo poo out of toilets at a Konami brand health club.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

The one that let's you fast travel to signposts from anywhere? Why?

Related, are the "?" symbols in Skellige worth it? Between the boats and the harpies, it's very annoying. Some guy in a bar told me that using a horn would make them flee, but haven't heard about it after that.

No, they're totally worthless. Don't bother.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

what if into the breach is bad

Then it goes Into the Trash

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'd argue that there aren't enough politics in games. Specifically sim games. Please make more political sims I'm dying here

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Important news for all my fellow Magical Diary alumni.

https://twitter.com/HanakoGames/status/971136515551219714

Wolf Hall is still being worked on.

It's about time, drat.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I liked how bitter and angry Connor was.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

And the development of features was staggered, I think the ladies came after the 3d mode came in and they didnt go back to fix it?

Hey I run a ton of rehab and behavior programs in my jail.

I had to shut down the kitchen workshop program because they kept stealing the knives and stabbing known snitches with them though. :smith:

Yeah womens prisons were a super late add-on. And if anything the game is pro-rehabilitation, since you make more money if you keep your reoffending rate down, but you can run your prison either way.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hand of the king is infinitely worse imo, gently caress that boss.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Zetsubou-san posted:

wait no more!

Factorio - $20.00 (-33%) - actually the discount is real, the price goes up on the 16th. Act now and say goodbye to the next hundred-odd hours

I'm surprised they don't just bump up the price to $60. Go full Activision.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This is really lovely.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's better for things to be private by default but it does mean SteamSpy's going to have to either collaborate directly with Steam or with publishers instead of just grabbing from the API.

Publishers won't do it because it hurts their advertising / image and Steam is too loving lazy and worthless to do anything at all ever, so I really doubt anything will come of it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm not really sure who the new privacy settings are supposed to benefit.

It's an enormous win for publishers; now they can be coy about PC purchases and force bigger concessions out of devs and users.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Akuma is so powerful that anti-cheat software struggles with his ultimate ability

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Pathos posted:

It’s great. Highly recommended to anyone who is a true doom murderhead

Lol that made me think about Barkley 2, which is never coming out

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

I really hope Valve is just going to be rather hands-off about them and just lets them do their thing, but yeah there is a good chance Valve just drains them dry.

They'll be drained dry in the same way every studio that is bought by them is, where they realize they don't need to make games anymore to have a fuckload of money and stop making games.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Regarding Lara the first game had her descend into madness and the second game started with her suffering from severe PTSD before slipping comfortably back into murdertown so I hope 3 is Lara coming to terms with the fact that she just loves to kill people.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I have a maximum price point for things I want, there are lots of games I see and say "I'd pay fifteen bucks for that" and no matter how much I want it, I won't buy it until it's that price. 35 was my minimum for FF15 but I was able to pick it up at 32 on preorder :)

Maybe it's a weird way to look at things idk

I don't think it is, I work the same way.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm probably going to play it TBH, I'm interested where the plot for it will go.

I mean whatever it is it's going to be better than far cry 5, which is the current winner of "worst plot in a video game" for 2018

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

all of you shut up and talk about video games

like THIS videogame

I love this robot. He is good, and fun as hell. Slay the Spire? good game.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Please tell me that's the third character.

e: it is, good

Robot is INSANELY fun, he's great. Orbin for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

Segata Sanshiro is the hero we need. If more people had a Dreamcast and played Shenmue or Jet Set Radio they would see the light.

If Sega made a new Jet Set game they would make a billion dollars

Kly posted:

how close to "done" is slay the spire? is there a roadmap or anything for what all they want to have in it? its looks like my kind of thing but ive been super gun-shy about EA games since starbound.
for people who own it already, what sucks about it?

I think it's going to leave early access here in the next month or so, if I had to guess? They gave a 4-8 month outline when the game launched and they're at month 6 right now, and they have been super good about updates and telling people what they're doing.

It's really loving hard is my only issue. I'm not as good at card games as I thought I was ;~;