Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I wish there were a curator that'd sift through the negative reviews for a game and summarise points that aren't loving stupid.

No Japanese VA? Who gives a flying gently caress. Game is abandoned and you didn't get your money's worth? You played 200 hours! Difficult to play with KB+M? That's valid for you, but why should that contribute to the overall metric for those of us with controllers...?

Oh, and my personal favorite- I don't like <genre> but I bought game of <genre> and didn't like it because <genre>. gently caress right off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I don't think anyone was more than cautiously optimistic about Agents of Mayhem. It reeks of design by committee.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Lyrai posted:

Actual content: http://store.steampowered.com/app/434460/Rock_of_Ages_2_Bigger__Boulder/
Is Rock of Ages 2 any fun for someone who played Rock of Ages 1 for a few hours, kind of liked it, but didn't feel like there was any reason to stick around?

I really like the new race mode- it's just first to the finish, past a preset obstacle course, first to 3, and of course you can smash into your opponent.

Other than that and having more (and good!) bosses, it's more of the same but with more unlockable stuff. I really liked the first, so I really like the second, but it's probably not for everyone.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

I tried Immortal Defense yesterday for the first time, and it starts fun, but I'm stuck on the first endless level. I played the first campaign on 50% challenge without much trouble and have about 34k cache to start the endless level, but I can only last about two minutes, which leaves me with not enough to survive the first level of the second campaign. I tried turning the challenge down to 0%, but I still only make it two minutes in, so I'm not sure that slider even makes a difference on the endless levels.

Am I just supposed to have way more cache going into the level? All I can find about this is that people found the endless levels extremely easy so the dev rebalanced them a bit, so I'm pretty sure I'm just doing something wrong.

You could try turning up the challenge on the last few levels of the first campaign to leave you more going into the first endless level.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Thinking of picking up Nier: Automata now that it's on sale. I see it has a 78% score on Steam, which is good but not fantastic. What are the common complaints? I've heard there's no autosaving, which does seem really stupid.

It's the worst version of a fantastic game.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

PerilPastry posted:

Is Borderlands 2 worth it if you're a weirdo like me who prefers single-player?

No.

E: Unless it's free, then no.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Orv posted:

It's almost like it's not exploitative if they don't force you to use it? If the game is balanced against not spending money then even I will decry it as bullshit garbage ruined by microtransactions, but as it stands it's a whale trap for the ranked online mode and we don't know what it really effects.

How is anything that can be described as a 'whale trap' not exploitative?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Celeste is by the Towerfall guys, Iconoclasts is by Konjak

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Vicious Attack Llama Apocalypse is pretty fun. They throw so many terrible jokes at you that if you don't find yourself chuckling at one of them you're probably dead inside.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Is it like Future Cop: LAPD but with Llamas instead of criminals?

Never played that, but it's like Crimsonland with llamas. Crimsonllamand.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Do you mean that sometimes you just get kinda screwed because of random power pickups or that it's an over-head arena shooter thing?

You can choose to pick a weapon up or just leave it there.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

The Kins posted:

Because paying a hundred bucks to expose your learning-to-make-games fangame to the cruel, uncaring, relentless eyes of the larger internet is a great* idea!

I mean it kind of is, it's $100 for brutal criticism, abuse and a harsh life lesson. I've known people waste more money for those.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

Just got around to finishing off Tales of Berseria. Now I'm sad to say goodbye to this family of dorks and goofs. :(

There is a postgame dungeon which you absolutely should not do without the 6x experience bonus you can get in a fully tricked out NG+ because holy poo poo is it ever grindy.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Rinkles posted:

despite Runic closing Torchlight's not dead (site says it's from the creators of I & II)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xj6OGVIKTM

sounds mmoish, bone/ps4/pc

Torchlight Frontiers combines the heart of the beloved Torchlight series with a shared, persistent and dynamically generated world. In true Torchlight style, players will team up with friends and devoted pets to hack and slack their way through a vibrant world, discover ancient ruins of lost civilizations and brave dungeons filled with riches and dangerous creatures.

I mean, did anyone even want more Torchlight? Did anyone even finish Torchlight II?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Det_no posted:

NISA has gone ahead and done something right, they 've successfully(?) released the highly anticipated Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gLO_P7Pzjs

As you might see it's a first-person dungeon crawler rpg in the style of Etrian Odyssey, Stranger of Sword City, Wizardry and so on. The gimmick is that, in the vein of something like Disgaea, the mechanics are really robust and you have a whole lot of control over your teams. Late game you can even field armies of 40 soldiers and fight bosses in something that's almost like an mmo raid in scale. (It's like 8 men to a squad, not exactly sure how it works but you don't have to control each soldier individually).

I can't buy it at the moment so I can't guarantee it won't make your computer explode but reviews are very positive across the board for the PS4/Switch versions.

How creepy is the character design? The game sounds like my jam but if it's packed full of half-naked children as NISA tends to do then I'll give it a miss.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Someone posted a video of the gameplay mechanics that also showed like 2 or 3 children in bikinis. So.

No you see it's fine because they're really 6000 years old so

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Orv posted:

An Early Access idle game.

Alright burn it all down.

It's not even the first.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Orv posted:

In the dead of night I'm asking this and certainly of one of the most divisive topics, but I've missed a lot of the good metroidvanias from the past few years. I know at least some people have some issues with basically all of them but are there any absolute standouts I need to play? I've played Hollow Knight but that's kind of it. Is Sundered any better at the game part than Jotun? Death's Gambit falls apart pretty hard from what I understand, but does anything not? That seems to be the biggest issue plaguing the genre in perpetuity.

Yoku's Island Express is really well done. I'd stay away from Sundered- it looks amazing but has issues with being procgen and interrupting you with huge waves of enemies that phase through walls and gank you at inopportune moments.

Iconoclasts has some metroidvania elements but is generally just a puzzle-ish action platformer with a batshit insane plot.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Deakul posted:

Developed by Chucklefish of Starbound fame, that's going to be a looong wait and see for me.

But, it looks like a fantasy Advance Wars and that does own...

I was lukewarm on the idea/publisher combo, but having played an early version of it, it's pretty great. Here's hoping the fun doesn't get squeezed out of it at some point.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Pleads posted:

First round final impressions (keeping in mind I only played each for ~45 minutes):

Tales of Berseria (3/5): This is a pretty polished looking title with an entirely boring start. Animation is great, characters look good, voice acting is solid, and you spend the first hour babysitting. The combat wasn't what I was expecting, it's real-time brawling instead of turn-based, and it looks like the combo system could get pretty advanced, but I didn't make it far enough in to find out. If you like the animes, or non-turn-based JRPGs, this feels like it could be a solid choice for you but I'm no expert in the genre.

I don't want to open up the Berseria can'o'worms again, but this really is worth playing past the bland prologue. If you got through Titania and it didn't grab your interest even a little bit, then that's fair enough.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

StabMasterArson posted:

China will grow larger

Thank you for the new shoes!

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I really want to see Godus make a comeback. I can't explain why I have any affection for that shitheap, but I want it to be made good. I didn't even back it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

zer0spunk posted:

Reasons why EGS doesn't invoke any particular response from me one way or the other:

-They are funding things that wouldn't exist otherwise (I like games.)
-They are giving me 8 games a month for free at this point (I like games.)
-They are competing with a dozen other stores so I got the one game I purchased from them for 5 bucks, despite it being a new release and something I've wanted to try for years. (I liked Journey.)
-I have no allegiance to any corporation and will buy from whoever offers the best deal. (I like money.)
-I don't really care how devs raise funds, only that they do so and continue to make things instead of fold into nothingness, as is the case often. (I like capitalism?)

I apologize in advance for all the burns you may have incurred from this, my hottest of takes.

Personally I'm ok with them funding timed exclusives and giving indie devs the funding to be relatively safe, but I'm still going to wait out the exclusivity. That way Epic are throwing Fortnite money at devs who need it while getting no benefit in return; I can wait.