Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I really liked Just Cause 2 and JC3 is on sale but it sounds like a step down quality-wise from the reviews. Any better choices for open world mayhem I should be on the lookout for or are the reviews full of it?

going back to JC2 is also acceptable :v:

Eh, I don't know that I'd call it a step down. It's just more of the same but a bit more refined and colorful. If you're just as inclined to go back to JC2 I doubt you'd begrudge the $12 for JC3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Baron posted:

I actually really enjoyed Just Cause 3, for what it's worth. The thing that really made it shine for me was the badass wingsuit. Something about it just clicked for me. Flying through the fields of sunflowers, skimming as low as I could, it just felt loving awesome. The challenges for it were a ton of fun. There is a definite lack of variety in a lot of things, but it was enough for me to finish it which is more than I can say for alot of games.

The motorcycles sucked really bad, however. And the final fight is garbage.

It definitely "clicked" in place for me a lot more than 2 did, for whatever reason that is. I also think the locale is the prettiest I've since since Witcher's Blood and Wine expansion

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Seems like both "The Long Dark" and "Slime Rancher" released 1.0 versions today. Anyone have any feedback on either of those? I know Slime Rancher is a goon favorite so that's high up on my list. How about the other?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Anarch posted:

Meanwhile, on the Grimoire discussion board on Steam:

:cawg: Gotta check for those last minute bugs...

This is an era of gaming whose art I thought we could go without fetishizing but I guess here it is, huh

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

dromal phrenia posted:

Are the games that aren't goat simulator any good in this bundle? https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/indie-legends-6-bundle

I ask because I already have goat simulator and the only other game I've heard of is Shadowrun: Dragonfall

Worth it for Chroma Squad alone if you like that genre. That game is full of charm.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Please enjoy, goons.

RIVE: Wreck, Hack, Die, Retry - &9D0J-NQNJ8-MPLM8
Neon Chrome - &JYR2-QQN4W-DPPXK
Ultimate Chicken Horse - 98HGF-6YBF&-L98JY
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition - &ADBV-C8LQG-W5EI7

& = C for these.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, I loved Apotheon and found it very playable, but the combat's a bit weird. It's gorgeous and I liked the story. The worlds of the different Greek gods are very clever and fun to solve.

Just gonna give a bit more love out there for Apotheon because it is gorgeous and creative. The combat definitely takes some getting used to but it never feels unfair or overly frustrating as a game.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

There are SOME indoor sections but they are definitely rarer than in City.

Was just coming in here to post about finishing up Night in the Woods and I see your avatar.
I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said about it, but as someone who grew up in a small Central PA town with an unduly romanticized view of Autumn, this game was extremely poignant to me.
Seriously if anyone out there has any inclination to play this game and hasn't already, you should do so.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

I grew up in a small central PA town too. Roaring Spring. Which town of yours has an unduly romanticized view of Autumn? Bedford?

Town called Orbisonia (though I should clarify the love of fall is more mine than a town-thing) but yeah - your town is basically equidistant from Raystown on the opposite side.
Small world.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AngelesXO posted:

Enjoyed human revolution and just bought Mankind divided on sale. Sad to hear about the bad reception, I really hope they chance make another one. The world is quite interesting and fun to explore.

It's a fine continuation, if not a little short on narrative progress.
It would be a shame for the series to be revitalized like that and die after 2 games against, though. It's filling a genre niche that no one else really is (with the exception of maybe Arkane)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Kins posted:

Sega announced a Theme Hospital spiritual-successor by various former Bullfrog and Lionhead people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6TPTiOCuVk

I require this in my life.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/637650/FINAL_FANTASY_XV_WINDOWS_EDITION/

i'm very excited about finally getting to play final fantasy 15. i'm less excited about downloading a 100gb game over my 150KB/s internet

Hopefully the fast travel load times are a little better on PC because I'm pretty sure I spent like a solid 10-20% of that game staring at loading screens.

And then there's the last act in the game which is... fine, but a tremendous let-down compared to the preceding portions.

Still a fun game but not the sort worth almost bankrupting your development team over.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Best part of Watch Dogs 2 is the Charlie Kelly cosplay

Look at how low he can go!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I tell myself that I don't really need to be buying Battletech when I am just starting both Yakuza 6 and God of War but then I rewatch the intro cinematic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAGY4UMScyU

Is this XCOM Front Mission? Because I would be extremely into that

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hope the Tombs we raid this time are full-on ancient aliens style Maya.
I know it's all bullshit and in most respects the reality of those civilizations is far more interesting but I'm a sucker for that ancient-future aesthetic and the other two games loved pulling in fantastical bullshit for no reason anyway

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's all I ever wanted. Thank you Suda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ1QT2d8x_E&t=52s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lentk1ovwk

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You lucky ducks. 0 is a loving fantastic game

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

Are there any good sci-fi ARPGs out there at all

I played a little bit of ELEX. Maybe that's what you're after?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

if I like Doom 2016 would I like Bulletstorm

Bulletstorm really nails the "all guns are good" thing that a lot of shooters tend to miss out on.
Literally all the guns are super good.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oh also, learn to love the leash. There are few things as satisfying as some of the environmental kills you can pull off with that thing. And slide-kicking.

I might need to replay bulletstorm

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

On the other hand, Stardew Valley guy is loving rich now.
Hope he spends the rest of his days just making his own farm sims.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Givin posted:

The hardest Yakuza decision is deciding to get 0 on the PS4 now or wait until August to get it for PC.

There only wrong choice is not playing Yakuza 0

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

There was definitely a middle-ground stage that got skipped.
Like maybe let him keep his haircut or something and "complete" the transition in the next game.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Frog Act posted:

What's the word on Grim Dawn? Fun and worth it? At a historical low

Seconding the other reactions that it just kinda bounced off of me. Maybe it'd be more fun with a mod to adjust the loot table

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

And it looks like Resonance of Fate is coming out on PC after all:

I've been wanting to play this weird gun RPG forever.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Incoherence posted:

Killer7 is definitely in my top three of all time, and I'll also freely admit that my love for it is completely irrational: it's a rail shooter with some lame puzzles, its plot makes absolutely no loving sense, and it has a habit of putting random pointless acts of violence in cutscenes for shock value, but it's so stylish and so completely bought into its own weirdness that it becomes charming.

And now I don't have to plug my Gamecube back in to play it.

I liken it to the David Bowie album "Outside" where you can tell that the creative impetus behind it is a distillation of hundreds of hours of work and world-building that we only ever get hints of. It's a video game equivalent of a concept album, with all the trappings of over-indulgence that those works tend to have associated with them.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Chainclaw posted:

Yakuza has playable arcade games, Shenmue has playable arcade games. I don't remember a capsule toy machine in Yakuza, so that must be the main difference.

Yakuza has the UFO catcher

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I absolutely loved Last Light - I felt like it was a worthy successor to Half Life 2.
But absolutely gently caress this kind of messaging - purchasing power is the only thing consumers have to combat inequitable behavior and this is a lovely, lovely point of view for them to take.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pylons posted:

I don't really understand what's so objectionable about that statement. Like, I guess it's the kind of thing that shouldn't be said, but no poo poo they're not going to put future games on the PC if they don't sell.

Because it's a seemingly factual statement made as an implicit threat to consumers.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Artelier posted:

Between Iconoclasts, Timespinner and The Messenger, which one has the most fun movement options?

I haven't played anything but Timespinner, and while it's a very good game and well worthy of being played/the dev team getting your money, I would not say the movement is the highlight of the game. There are some clever puzzles based around the central power but it's a pretty straight-forward (but very well done) SotN clone with Chrono Trigger story beats.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Artelier posted:

Between Iconoclasts, Timespinner and The Messenger, which one has the most fun movement options?

For what's it worth, maybe consider CrossCode in this grouping as well. I've only just started playing it but this is probably as polished of an indie game as I've ever played and the gameplay is loving butter smooth

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is there a way to get a complete list of open-world Ubisoft-esque collectathon games? I'm beginning to realize I have an addiction and I must have 'em all... :getin:

Off the top of my head:

Any AssCreed game
Any Far Cry
Watch Dogs 2
Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Wildlands
Tom Clancy the Division + 2
Homefront: The Revolution
Just Cause 1-3
Saints Rows
GTAs?
Mad Max?
Mafia 1-3?
Borderlands?

What am I missing? I'm specifically interested in open world collectathons with fun gunplay. (which does KO the AssCreed games and Mad Max, alas, as they're mostly melee-focused and I'm not into that)

Sunset Overdrive maybe?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So steam added Metro back to the new release list but has this been on the page since the debacle or is it new?

Either way the fact that it's no longer as simple as an impulsive click is definitely enough to keep me focused on Far Cry/my backlog for the next little while which is a blessing and a curse because Last Light was one of my favorite games in years.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mordja posted:

Kinda funny that Metro has more reviews on its Steam page than New Dawn, which I'm going to assume means more people are playing it.

A surprisingly high number of them contain ASCII art giving the finger to the Epic Store

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is there a way to get a complete list of open-world Ubisoft-esque collectathon games? I'm beginning to realize I have an addiction and I must have 'em all... :getin:

Off the top of my head:

Any AssCreed game
Any Far Cry
Watch Dogs 2
Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Wildlands
Tom Clancy the Division + 2
Homefront: The Revolution
Just Cause 1-3
Saints Rows
GTAs?
Mad Max?
Mafia 1-3?
Borderlands?

What am I missing? I'm specifically interested in open world collectathons with fun gunplay. (which does KO the AssCreed games and Mad Max, alas, as they're mostly melee-focused and I'm not into that)

Just want to come back to this because after playing it more you definitely, definitely want to add Sunset Overdrive to your list.

And I gotta say for a game that came out towards the beginning of this current console generation it still plays super crisp.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mill Village posted:

All these new game stores that keep popping up are just going to make people pirate games more. I have games on Steam, GOG, Uplay, Origin, and Battle Net. Bethesda's games are now exclusive to their platform, and now I have to deal with Epic dumping their Fortnite money on everything. There's no loving way publishers will discount their games until after the Steam version is released, and people will not want to pay $60 for games a year after they first released. Its just going to weaken PC game sales and developers will go back to focusing on consoles again.

It's not like PC and console architecture are substantially different any more. The days of closed Dev environments are hopefully well over

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Borderlands 3!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4o5g_PGkiA

My main criticism is that it looks too much like Borderlands 2, which is only a bad thing because Borderlands 2 is pretty old at this point. I'm so used to seeing Mo-capped games that its weird when one doesn't have it.

Are they using the same engine even? The movement looks so janky and stiff still. It's weird to see how little progress they've made visually in 7 years. It doesn't look better it just looks busier.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/t497j21.mp4

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

quote:

While the demo of the early stages of the game I saw hinted at conflict and the politics of warring clans, Cluney says it’s central to Bloodlines 2 that the writers (who include Brian Mitsoda, narrative designer on the original game) are actively taking a political stance in this sequel, with its themes of art versus commerce and technological advances versus tradition.

“One of the reasons why that particular conflict attracted us so much was because it’s an inherently political conversation but it’s one of the few ones where it’s hard to… there are valid approaches. The world has to move forward, right?” says Cluney.

“Technological progress is a big deal and people are going to make money doing it. But what’s the cost? One of the things we really wanted to do was narrow in on a major conflict that can truly, reasonably be seen from both sides. As much as I loved being in Seattle in the 90s, and I’ve lived most of my life in Seattle, but at the same time I make video games for a living. I am not innocent of the tech boom.

“It is a political game but I think it’s one of those few opportunities that gives us the chance to let people make their own political statement in a way that’s not cheap. I don’t believe you can look at both sides of a political argument without understanding both sides. It’s easy to say this is good and this is bad. But it’s definitely taking some political stances on what we think are right and wrong. In terms of the main conflict what is interesting is it’s one of those truly balanced issues.”

This seems pretty uncontroversial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Art vs. careerism and tradition vs. "progress" are literally 2 of the oldest debates in western philosophy so it just seems like a weird place to draw a line