Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I did two pinatas on GOG, got Resonance which I already own on steam and https://www.gog.com/game/tahira_echoes_of_the_astral_empire which looks neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Can anyone weigh in on exactly how much gore/violence there is in The Letter? I enjoy stuff like 999/Danganronpa/Umineko/various murder mysteries but I do much less well with gore and jumpscares :ohdear:

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
If anyone wants to know more about MoonQuest, it was actually a kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eigenbom/moonman

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

DaveKap posted:

Yeah I mean... I asked if anyone tried it because I am super into those kinds of games but also super burnt by how many bad ones have been released, so my skepticism is through the roof.

I actually backed it because I thought the kickstarter pitch art was rather cute, but I haven't tried it yet and can't say that I play many of these, so my trip report probably won't be very helpful

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
The Infinity Bundle https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/infinity-bundle

looks really good if you don't own several of the games. Fran Bow and Epistory were both fantastic, haven't played Dex but it looked good

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Etrian from my experience was not full of it like many others but yeah there are still some bad ones

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

shs posted:

So the game is officially out on Steam. And my website as well, if you scroll down a bit.

I guess there's not much left to say. Play it and have fun, I suppose.

If the combat ever feels slow, there's a faster combat option in the settings menu. Also, the game saves automatically after each turn, whenever you exit a dungeon, and anytime you see a prompt that says "Your Progress will be saved".

Here are a few more Steam keys.

1. __QKX-3KLV3-VGMLD
2. __I5N-GJEEH-8DJFB
3. __J68-72GM3-V32CQ
4. __7QM-4QGL6-QH9WJ
5. __7EI-W3W38-FJ0MR

Replace the underscores with these:

1. R6
2. YR
3. M3
4. C0
5. CA

I took #2, thank you and congrats on release!

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

A Sometimes Food posted:

Keita Takahashi hasn't hit it big like Katamari again but he's still trundling along.

Tbf he's actively tried to do different stuff since he felt like he reached the bottom of that particular well.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Here’s what I ended up with. Some of these are from earlier in the month, though. I haven’t had time to play any but Obra Dinn yet, but I love it already.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Glad I made some good choices, I usually see most of the stuff that ends up on my list here first so I have you guys to thank anyway :)

I love mystery and detective stuff and I guess that all started when I was a small kid with Nancy Drew too. I’ve been collecting the releases of the games though I haven’t played many of them, but it seems like at some point they stopped adding the new ones to Steam :( Their business model is still really aligned with the casual gaming crowd but their price point generally isn’t- that was one of the nice things about being able to buy the huge collection on Steam sale a couple years ago.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Yeah actually checking again, it does look like they added the more recent ones eventually, just not near their release. The next one has a Spring 2019 date on their site!

vv Yeah the last one released 2015 but didn’t get pushed to Steam until 2017 so I’m just a bit behind

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 1, 2018

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I tend to hang out in a couple discords and I stopped posting/reading for a while when I got really backed up on the Steam thread, but it's been easier to keep up with lately.

As far as "everyone died" though, well... I guess some people might have noticed, but Steam enthusiast and ausgoon markgreyam passed away at the end of August. We met here in this thread a few years ago when I added him randomly and he sent me a bundle key for truly one of the worst anime games I've ever played. He ended up becoming a really good friend to me after that and I miss him a lot. He was super funny and he liked this stupid forum and all kinds of bad games and I'd like to eventually do something silly in his memory that I think he'd enjoy (horrible anime gift train? trainwreck LP and giveaway?)

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Xaris posted:

WHAT gently caress, he was cool. What happened (if its not too personal)?

Now I need to go through my list of goons and make sure no one else is dead :ohdear:

I don't know for sure, unfortunately. There were a number of things it could have been, stemming from our past conversations, but either his family wanted to keep it private or they weren't sure either. His playtime runs up to the date it happened- In all likelihood, he shut down Steam for the night, went to bed, and just didn't wake up.

It's a very strange and depressing sensation.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Here's the last gift he sent me over the summer:

He never quite made it to 5k, but his profile url was probably a reminder to us https://steamcommunity.com/id/playmoregames

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 2, 2018

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Hopefully... those people just decided to buy an xbox or have a baby!

I do have a couple IRL or otherwise friends on Steam/Blizznet that are still fine but just lost all interest in PC gaming (or didn't have THAT much to begin with). We do skew kind of older here so it might be inevitable that priorities or situations change, but I do still like seeing posts from Audish and crow and scoob and everyone so I'll probably always be lurking here as long as the good folks are.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Accordion Man posted:

I don't think Nancy would stand much of a chance against Lady Predator.

Nancy clearly has superpowers and a strong Kung-fu lesbian on her side though

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Frog Act posted:

If you google obscure puzzles in Nancy Drew games are there lots of other people asking the same questions online or is it a thing you gotta do with no hints no matter what

I think they actually sell “strategy guides” on the publisher website

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Accordion Man posted:

Also the Nancy Drew games have a fanbase so I'd assume it's pretty easy to find walkthroughs.

Yeah stuff in the "casual" game sphere pretty often has detailed info available, you just don't always find it in the usual spots since their audience mostly doesn't hang out on Steam or GameFAQs often. And of course it's an incredibly long-running series made by a stable company based on one of the most recognizable IP of all time, that sure helps.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

END ME SCOOB posted:

Aww this is mad depressing after all the Nancy Drew love earlier this week. https://kotaku.com/the-case-of-the-disappearing-nancy-drew-video-games-1830256040

That is depressing, yeah. There was a point a few years ago before things started slowing down where I'd thought they'd be a great place to work, and it sounds like it was- just not able to adapt rapidly because of how they were structured. When you have a very stable, traditional product in a rapidly changing market, well... I knew there was something Not Great happening when Codes and Clues released for such a young audience. At the time I thought it was part of another ill-fated reboot for the IP in general, but that doesn't actually appear to be the case, and it's one of the uhh... most "kiddie" iterations of Nancy yet.

However, I don't think it's impossible to turn it around or for the adventure series to be salvaged in some way- there's apparently a new movie series in production and it looks like this: (finally featuring canon acknowledgement George is queer as fuq) just came out this year which looks promising. Just depends on if you know, they're actually getting a team up to speed and making that game. Or not.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I would say about 10-20% of what the discovery queue shows me is good and interesting but I don’t check steam recommendations often because I frequently gently caress up the algorithm while idling cards and have to wait a while for it to readjust to my actual preferences

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

corn in the bible posted:

The Discovery Queue told me about COFFEE NOIR DETECTIVE BUSINESS GAME which immediately went on my most anticipated list lol
https://store.steampowered.com/app/855550/Coffee_Noir__Business_Detective_Game/

drat this looks amazing lol

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I like Symphony for games that use your own music

https://store.steampowered.com/app/207750/Symphony/

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

succ posted:

would i like monster hunter if i fell off dark souls due to the combat?

I like MHW but am not crazy about Dark Souls, I also wasn't crazy about the other couple of times I tried monhun games in the past. MHW feels like it's right in the sweet spot of teaching you how to appreciate the game

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

General Emergency posted:

Got this from choro.gg's Game Hole. I apparently own it but have no idea what it is... KJTRD-E570R-R0475

So... Go hog wild and please let me know what it was?

I put in Dead End Junction and got a fake key. Cool.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Andrast posted:

...people still use steam itself to find games to buy?

It's not my primary method or anything but the recommendations on individual store pages have a decent rate of being something I want to click on and less often, the things that come up in the personalized sections on the front page or discovery queue

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I think there is some kind of algorithm, it's just not a very good one. Notably a bunch of the store including the discovery queue seems to guess you want stuff based on whatever you played in the last few weeks, not necessarily what you own/browse/wishlist a lot of. It's incredibly easy to note this breaking and loving up suggestions whenever you idle something for cards that you wouldn't normally be interested in.

General Emergency posted:

It did warn you :v:

Getting a used key or a poop game is one thing, but a completely fake key is demoralizing in a completely different way

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Cowcaster posted:

if there is an algorithm at play, pretty sure "users idling for cards" is an edge case scenario in its operation

way to miss the point, sherlock

just because you play a game for 3 hours that isn't like the other stuff in your library doesn't mean that you now want to play 50 other games exactly like it and have it take over your recs for a month

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

ZearothK posted:

Steam does have that, it's called "sell your card drops".

Seriously, I've bought whole games from that, and I am not even talking about the under ten dollars variety.

Yeah I'm not getting rich off it or anything and it does depend on the size of your library and your luck in trade value, but I've made back a couple hundred bucks over the years just selling cards and occasionally wallpapers and emotes. I sold a cute wallpaper for an obscure game for $26 which is no cs:go unicorn gun or whatever but certainly bought me some fun new stuff

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Oh hey this looks really neat, thanks!

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

actually this owns thanks

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Mystic Stylez posted:

Can you guys suggest me good relaxing games on Steam? Any genre goes! I've been playing Glass Masquerade while listening to some of my favorite ambient albums and it's such a good way to unwind.

Relaxing games are what I'm all about lately.

Everyday Genius: SquareLogic
A relaxing puzzle game with a really huge number of puzzles. Makes a really great podcast or TV game.

My Time at Portia
An atmospheric and cozy life-sim game with light combat, mining, farming, NPC quests, decorating, etc. It's still in EA so it's had some really funky bugs but it's a very enjoyable experience IMO.

World's Dawn
Similarly, a life-sim and farming game that had the misfortune of releasing the month before Stardew Valley. Also made by a solo dev, it takes completely different parts of the Harvest Moon DNA to provide a game that's really light on farming but big on charm and character, nice events, and I enjoy the writing. The dev also has another game out soon, A Story Beside, which looks very nice.

Slime Rancher
Collect and breed the cutest slimes! The game was already very chill from the beginning, but they've also added a Casual mode for people who just want to relax and not deal with any threats.

Castaway Paradise
Kind of like having Animal Crossing on PC. While it's obviously not a $60 Nintendo product, it's cute enough, and the PC version removes all the microtransactions, making it a pleasant little town experience, with quests, museums, decoratable house, etc.

Plenty more I'm sure but those are the first ones that came to mind! I definitely second Hero of the Kingdom!

e: i forgot to note that you can be gay in Portia and World's Dawn, castaway is just full of animal people and you're human so no dating

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 18, 2018

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

The 7th Guest posted:

i may as well list the stuff I have on my wishlist below $2. i dunno if any of them are any good tho

SolarGun
Tell Me Everything
Rogue Quest
Snail Trek Chapter 1 & 2
Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain
Delete
Helen's Mysterious Castle
Mad Age & This Guy
Witchinour
Evo Explores
Fight the Dragon
Rusty Lake Paradise (this is probably good because Rusty Lake is a solid series)
Gunlock

I liked Helen's Mysterious Castle!

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

YOURFRIEND posted:

Hey, I was looking at this. How does it compare to the devil's daughter? I saw that Crime and Punishment was older and also more expensive, for some reason.

It is the best one & their best seller so that's probably why. Most people considered devil's daughter a step down while C&P was a genuine highlight of the series

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Xander77 posted:

With the sale starting, I need goon opinion on the following games:

Zwei the Arges Adventure

I jumped in with Ilvard Insurrection first instead of this one and have been having a lot of fun with it, so while I haven't tested Arges yet I would expect it to be pretty fun. They also have Gurumin for 3.50 which is adorable

e: Also I talked with Captain Invictus before I posted this & saw the posts on this page but yeah, sorry again to those who hadn't heard about markgreyam yet :( I'm sure he'd still be here buying everyone Bad Rats if he could.

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 22, 2018

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

corn in the bible posted:

gently caress yeah!

Oh heck yeah

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Time to buy Chuchel

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Knorth posted:

https://twitter.com/critterdust/status/1079167053368623104
This sounds cool as heck! and the steam page ...just doesn't have any sort of buy button for me?

Huh, weird, where are you located? It's showing fine for me in the U.S. It does sound cool though, thanks for the heads up

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Falcorum posted:

Probably not, because "in-app purchases" isn't something steam really manages. Even stuff like the stupid ingame :10bux: for GTA 5 is handled like DLC (which makes me wonder if you can refund that now)

Nah, there are in-app purchases on Steam, although I've personally only seen them on free to play games so I dunno how you'd refund one of those anyway

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Galaga Galaxian posted:

AKA "We don't want to pay for forum infrastructure nor deal with having to moderate it."

yeah it's absolutely the moderation thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He's clearly saying they're going to have some kind of social/communications system that would have at least as much overhead as a normal forum. So this doesn't seem like the concern.

ehh, yes and no, there are some solutions that require less intervention than others (making your posts only visible to friends, robust block system etc.)