Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Had anyone played Freeman: Guerrilla Warfare? As far as I can tell it's 1990s balkans mount and blade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hav posted:

It's literally a 1990s Balkans Mount and Blade. They're iterating through mechanics at the moment and just did an environmental graphics update; two updates ago you bought units, then paid to bring them back up to strength, now you're basically mixing and matching troops according to your need.

During the game you'll hit M to go to a map screen; this allows you to order your guys to follow waypoints, move cautiously or charge.

Single mode at the moment, which is conquer the map.

Awesome! I went ahead and bought it because I love mount and blade and the idea of a M&B in the Yugoslav wars is just too :eyepop: to pass up. I hope they add like lovely eastern bloc jeeps and ridiculous accessories like tigers and bundles of heroin imported from Turkey.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Been playing Silent Storm and I forgot how awesome it is, this game was so ahead of its time in 2004

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Endless Sky isn't particularly modern, at least in its presentation, but it's an awesome space sim with some good depth, deep factions, trading, excellent randomized missions, dozens of different ships with interesting strengths, and best of all, really well written flavor text. It's literally Escape Velocity except contemporary and also free.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

How do you even know what the first game you got on steam was? I'm pretty srue its half life 2 because I bought it and got steam via its original release in 2004

ed: oh duh you just click it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I use my brain to remember the first thing I got on Steam.

so I'm not into freemium games

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Orv posted:

What on earth is the algorithm it's using for Nostalgia.

some of the stuff is definitely off, it's recommending me a demo in one section

Mordja posted:

I'm strangely proud of this.

:same:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Mordja posted:

In my case it was before HL2 came out, a big box of Valve (and Valve-adjacent) titles, I guess they were the first things I added to Steam.

I've got the exact same set of "first" games and it's making me wonder what this package was called

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

is the new Deus Ex game with all the DLC worth $8?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hello steam thread, I am a profoundly broke and unemployed person who just finished their graduate degree and has no money for fun things. however, I have successfully budged ~$10 for videogames this month. I was looking at "The Surge" because I fuckin love Dark Souls, but it's got mixed reviews and I can't afford the DLC with it. What is the thread opinion?

Alternately, I could buy Way of the Samurai 3 and Expeditions: Conquistador, so which do ya'll think would be a better use of my limited funds

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thank god on both points - I would've refunded it if it had kept up the Bioshock vibe, as that's...not what I enjoy. So phew! I'll keep going!

Yeah it changes pretty considerably after the intro, with lots of very specific missions that have very non-bioshocky things. You'll also do a lot recursive covering areas you've been to. I suggest avoiding the magic stuff altogether and sticking to guns (except for the vertical teleport which is the best ability in the whole game)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Awesome! posted:

the surge is like dark souls, but worse in every single way. your time would be better served replaying one of the real ones for the 20th time or whatever.

I enjoyed the demo and what little time I played...might have to try it out and return it if its really that bad. cus thats disappointing, it looked hella fun. What about stuff like Way of the Samurai, would that scratch an even remotely similar itch?

Xaris posted:

Hollow Knight

It will last you a good several weeks depending on your gaming itme

I was really interested in this but I'm unbelievably bad at side scrollers. I've only ever beaten one, Apotheon, which I quite enjoyed but I think was probably exceptionally easy

Also sorta considering going in a very different direction and grabbing stardew valley

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

One more question about Prey, is the map design like System Shock 2 or Bioshock?

Imo it is much more like bioshock except for a few segments, and also the space segments

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

Glad I skipped this one then, from the sounds of it, I probably would get bored of it really quick.

I will say if anyone is in the mood to blow up tons of aliens/insects with fun weapons, pick up EDF 4.1, it's lots of fun. Even playing by yourself it feels great, there is a lot to do, and with 4 classes, that all play very differently, it gives you a lot of replayability.

I haven't played any multiplayer with it, but I know I've heard lots of people say it's great fun with other people, but I'm just letting people know that it is still a ton of fun for the single playing types like me. For the sale price, I feel like this is a steal, I'll be playing it for awhile, and it's great mindless fun. After playing Insect Armageddon and being really disappointed, I'm glad this is more like EDF 2017.

I was also wondering if anyone has played Freeman: Guerrilla Warfare? It popped up in my queue and it looks pretty cool, but I'd like to hear some goon impressions as they tend to be pretty close to my taste (Bad).

If nobody ever answered this, I can tell you that Freeman:GW is an extremely janky but mostly functional Mount and Blade clone that takes place during the Yugoslav wars. The combat is exactly what you would expect: mediocre FPS play in like three or four variants (trees and hills, trees and more hills, cities, villages, maybe others) but with a nice map that lets you deploy your guys in a zone and a very simple order system that lets you command individual squads to follow you, charge, or move cautiously.

There's also a supply system just like M&B based on food items in inventory, which works exactly like M&B, including trading, looting, and skills from your character that determine your ability to do those things.

I'll add that I bought it a few months ago and played it for two normal length sessions of like 2-4 hours and it was fun enough, but clearly very much not done. That being said they've updated the hell out of it. In the month between sessions they added vehicles, a gas system, refined the factions, smoothed out a bunch of jank, updated the GUI, etc etc. At this rate it will be a fully fleshed out dope-rear end game within six months.

Basically, if the idea of M&B: Yugoslav Wars appeals to you, buy it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Is there consensus on Kenshi? It looks like a cross between Mount and Blade and SWG which is pretty dope, but it also seems like its probably janky as hell. Very tempting but possible bad - anyone here play it?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

If I were gonna pick up something really cheap before the sale ends, would Way of the Samurai 3 be a good contender? Something to jump into and mix it up between Total War and Stardew Valley

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I was asking about Kenshi (so were some other people) earlier in the month and I went ahead and picked it up, so I'll report back if its any good.

I'm really posting here though because I love that the spirit of gamefaqs in 2003 is still living in the PUBG steam community, a game I don't own and I've never played, but was curious to see what the forums were like on account of its huge playerbase:

it goes on like this for like, pages, lmao. "you are dog man"

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So Kenshi was really disappointing, the mouse felt like molasses, the frame rate was bad, the systems were opaque, the whole thing was just too poorly executed. Has a lot of potential but I wouldn't touch it until some serious UI improvements and some like basic structure to the early part of the game. they even seem to have removed a more detailed tutorial i saw in earlier player videos

Anyway, I have $20 in my steam account now, anything anyone would super duper recommend? I"m in the mood for a dope RPG, space game, or strategy game. I'm looking at Helium Rain and maybe Darksiders on top of that, can anyone speak to those two?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

How impenetrable are the X games? I have 19.99 on steam and I want a game like Endless Sky - I'm looking st this one thing, Helium Rain, which looks very promising but is also early access. X3 is the same price but I've heard mixed things. I'm also thinking maybe X2 or something since it's only $5.

Also: anyone play Outpost Zero? It's another base building kinda Rust clone, with the gimmick that you're a colonizing robot with AI helpers. So some extremely lite rimworld elements, No Mans Sky aesthetic, and Rust. Looks interesting but I haven't played a game like that since DayZ

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

How do people feel about Shadow of War? I got bored with the first one like ~20 hours in because ti was so repetitive and shallow. I had the same problem with Mad Max, though, granted, I played for like two hours and then realized the scrap system and huge number of unlocks and giant map were gonna make it another open world puddle.

I have $20 on steam that I'll be using to prolly buy the only thing I'll get for awhile so I'm trying to use it cautiously, and I noticed next week Yakuza 0 comes out. I've heard those games are fuckin incredible, and I've always wanted to play them but never had a playstation, but I'm concerned it'll be a poo poo port / its like the one bad one in the series or something.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I went ahead and bought Yakuza 0 because I can't overlook something that like literally everyone describes in superlative terms. left me with $3 too, maybe I'll buy Darksiders and play that til the 1st

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I feel like I'm the only person on earth who got bored with Witcher 3 every time I tried it. I got ~30 hours in three times and got bored every time, just so many irritating quests and things to collect and, above all else, I found the combat really tedious. It was super gorgeous and I loved the ambiance, story, setting, voice acting, and stat system (to a degree) but blech I just got so bored with the magic and marginal upgrades and stuff. Couldn't get into W2 either.

Samuringa posted:

Yakuza 0 is the best recommendation now that I think about it, I just keep forgetting we now live in the magical world where it is available on Steam.

I'm hella pumped for that coming out, I haven't preordered a game since Rome II but clearly Y0 won't be a disappointment unless the port is awful.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I agree, the Witcher Is Too Long.

I'm not complaining about length, I'm complaining about quality, where you have a fuckton of things to do at any given time and many of them are drawn out and repetitive

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I know its trite but honestly if W3 had Dark Souls combat system it would've been fuckin incredible, because like someone else mentioned, the drowner killing and crafting and stuff can get really repetitive. I'm excited about Cyberpunk though, W3 had great everything but the actual gameplay patterns and I'd love to see that translated to something like an FPS.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Domina owns, this is a nice coincidence as I just started a new endless game

It's not super deep but it's the best game of its kind I've ever played, I almost never do games without a traditional save system

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Eldred posted:

Speaking of Domina, any tips on getting started? I tried overinvesting in one gladiator then got trashed in big arena battles. Then I tried spreading upgrades around and got trashed in smaller fights. :shrug:

I've beaten it a few times so here is a starting tip or two

1. When you start out you have 1000 gold - immediately buy all the food, water, and wine the market has. then go into the hire employees panel and hire an architect, an agent, and an educator.
2. research everything the educator has. spam agents to steal good equipment and horses and stuff, they're cheap, let em die trying to do things for you. build enough training accessories (dummies, rocks, and hot coals) that you can have one of each at every training spot. then build the other stuff for producing resources if you want/can, its not necessary if you have the training stuff and heres why
3. when your gladiators are buffed by training, stolen equipment, and all the abilities from your trainer and the educator, they'll fuckin crush dudes. do pit fights inbetween fights with your lesser gladiators, if they die RIP, replace them, and if they don't keep going til they're good enough to use in the main fights.
4. cultivate one or two really good gladiators for the main fights, keep them in the best equipment and happy and stuff. the best way to do this is to play for ~20 days until you can buy a super good gladiator from the legatus/general/whatever. he sells former soldiers who have loving dope stats to begin with and won't need to train much, if at all, to start winning immediately. they just need healing and equipment
5. make sure you pick the obvious super good things from the educator in the right order, never control your gladiator directly, always be willing to be super cheap, and after you unlock the other types don't be sparing with them or anyone, you'll get new dudes. you just don't want your best dude to die but even if that happens its fine

the only other thing to be aware of is that while there is RNG, the screen that lets you choose you gladiator before the fight gives you almost all the information you need to win and its often a matter of matching up the right dudes. like for instance if you have a high aggro gladiator he'll have a slightly harder time against a defender but will defeat someone more easily if they're a lower aggro guy but thats still their highest stat (like theyre evenly distributed or whatever).

i dont know anything about the horses or chariots because last time i played those weren't implemented so i look forward to trying them out but the same principals should apply

ed: also for the events and stuff that happen try to think like a Roman because doing the thing that would be "right" in the modern context or typical gamey context is often wrong and ends in hilarious disaster

you will probably lose the game a few times before you win but its one of the only games ive played where losing actually is genuinely enjoyable

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

oh i forgot to add, once you finish with the trainers i mentioned, there are like five or six other people you can employ - doctors, vitners, famers, an oracle, a wise man, etc and there are many combinations of them with discrete sets of effects that are pretty much up to you whether you want to use them, I personally beat the game with just the bard, doctor, and uh i wanna say haruspex

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Apparently there's been a few new items added since I last played Domina.

Like lion pee.

https://twitter.com/tehbignic/status/1020399920509988865

https://twitter.com/tehbignic/status/1020400224508915712

Incredible that the developer is still adding things to such a cheap little game after all this time

I got it cheap but I hope the person who made it made a profit and is able to make a sequel with the same mechanics applied to something else. Like running a pirate ship in the 1600s in the carribbean

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I played for a while, and I'm impressed with how consistently good the OST is. Also, I'm not having lots of trouble so far, but I don't think it's good that I'm mostly coasting on the 3(Used to be 4...) great Gladiators I won from other fights while the rest train around.

Nah that's fine, they have exponential value anyway since stats grow when you win. If they die they were a burden anyway

You'll end up using one or two main dudes the whole time anyway, last time I played thru I had a dude from the very beginning with huge numbers in every stat who would just whip around the arena at light speed and kill everyone in under a second

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I enjoyed Dragonfall and Returns a lot more than I did HK for whatever reason - I didn't like the new hacking system and the story didn't grab me like Dragonfall, which was really good.

Anyway lmao at this FMV steam PUA game

"Learn state-of-the-art seduction secrets from the master himself, Richard La Ruina, in this incredibly valuable live action seduction simulator."

"the answer being my dick"

training incels to sexually harass strangers one steam transaction at a time

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

also don't forget that once you've got at least one badass who can roll pretty much everyone, use him to kill all the giant bosses in the preset fights

https://twitter.com/Dong_Quixote1/status/1021766810687950848

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lol i lost my Domina game when a feast day came and a champion challenged my best gladiator in a fight I couldn't turn down. loving Retiarii always own my Thraeces unless I have another Retiarius w/the Thraex to poke him into my swordsman. RIP Iulius of Silesia, you were undefeated until you weren't

https://twitter.com/Dong_Quixote1/status/1021779911516794882

this is a good example of RNG ending your playthrough, but its cool, because chariot races are fun as gently caress and this time through i'll focus on getting as much gold as I can to buy some early badasses. Kinda buggy though, horse training is free and instant so if you spam right click on your horse he can be insta trained to level 100+. also I had a lion which is dope

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Should I play this game, the soundtrack is rad

If you're talking about domina then you should play it four or five times

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I found another masterpiece on steam, this time featuring what I think is goon art?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/893990/LGBT_VS_RUSSIA_BATTLEGROUNDS/

irrespective of the provenance of the frog gif, lmfao at this horrible poo poo that steam is allowing.

quote:

In this game you take part in the intergalactic war between Russia and the LGBT community of our world. Whose side will you be, it remains only to choose.
Your task is to choose one character and start playing. The game is to remain the last of all. You can use
- Automatic
- Shotgun
- Grenades
- Submachine guns
and much more
Huge location, diverse structures and a sense of rivalry.

There are several options:
- Play alone with bots

i didn't cut that off, it says "there are several options" then lists one lol

ed:

oh neat three "separate" companies have released this same game three times

"gay battlegrounds"
https://store.steampowered.com/app/890510/GAY_BATTLEGROUNDS/

"LGBT battlegrounds"
https://store.steampowered.com/app/874100/LGBT_BATTLEGROUNDS/

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

It looks good and fun but from what I've heard it's actual core story and gameplay are like worth maybe $20. I wanted it but I'm holding out for cheaper

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm excited about yakuza, excited enough to preorder it despite being poor and having not preordered anything since Rome II

What sold me was a video of the guy winning a bowling prize and it was a chicken, but just a live one, and then I think he took it and put it in charge of something

Is the combat like particularly difficult, in terms of the story and encounters in the street? Closer to Sleeping Dogs, GTAV, those open world Ubisoft games where you hit X and sometimes Y?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Is there a general RTS thread where I can talk at length about how good Dawn of War II is?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Take Escape Velocity, slap a pseudo-warhammer 40k setting on it and add darkest dungeon-like ground combat, turn based ship combat and crew management. It's got some linear stories you can pursue but you can also play it as a wide open sandbox. It's a Rogue Trader simulator at heart - and a story telling generator like dwarf fortress. I don't think you can even "win" the game.

This is going on my list for after Yakuza then cus Escape Velocity is one of my favorite games of all time and I used to love 40k and I still dig its universe. My childhood was like a beige mac with EV and a bunch of old space marines and white dwarfs so this sounds like it might be right up my alley

is it a roguelike in the sense that its an ironman permadeath thing or are there different modes or

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

DrNutt posted:

I decided it would be silly to buy Yakuza 0 again as I already have it on PS4 but I'm so stoked to see all your trip reports come out here in the Steam thread.

I've played for about two hours and its extremely good, I am enjoying it a lot more than I typically enjoy the kinds of open world games. I was dreading stuff like karoake having never played one of these before, and I generally disliked that stuff in GTA, but it was extremely fun. I wish I had been able to pay attention to the background video but I think theres a replay function

I'm really excited to get more into other elements of it now that the story is starting to open up

PantsBandit posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for pc headsets? Ideally something affordable but I'm ok with spending a little extra if the quality is worth it.

i bought a Razer Kraken at best buy when my last pair broke, it was about $70 and its lasted for two years so far and is comfortable and high quality. but I dont know much about fancier peripherals

https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Kraken-Chroma-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00MTWV0RO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so I've been told a rule of thumb is that if a site isn't listed on isthereanydeal.com it is probably an illegitimate reseller, even if it has on ostensibly legitimate internet presence? I just got Yakuza so I have something to mainline for awhile but I still really want to buy Dawn of War Master Collection (never played DOW, jsut DOW2) and its on one of the more okay seeming sites that claims to not resell anything and only have real first party keys for $7, $30 less than steam. Should I just wait for a sale?