Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fun Times! posted:

Ground floor

Steam sucks

I prefer water and ice personally to steam. Looks nice while in the process of condensation though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

hello. play nuclear throne and brigador and monolith instead of binding of isaac and gungeon

counterpoint: Isaac has workshop integration and Nuclear Throne, Monolith and Gungeon do not. Brigador doesn't need more content as much as the others and is perfect if you're into that kind of game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Venuz Patrol posted:

if youve really got such a huge boner for workshop integration then get serious sam's bogus journey instead of binding of isaac

The boner's not for workshop integration, it's for infinite new content (some of it is really quite inventive like the math mod) due to a sizeable fanbase for a decent game. Serious Sam's Bogus Journey looks okay, but it's not got the same type of charm as the item mixtures in good ol' TBOI.

Digirat posted:

The problem is that isaac needs its workshop integration to be worth playing. Throne does not.

I disagree, though I will say Isaac becomes a lot better once everything is unlocked. Really dumb design decision there IMHO. Throne's great but the weapons and level ups are fairly tame. If the weapons and abilities went to Luftrausers level of crazy I'd have twice as many hours in Nuclear Throne.

E:

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

gonna be streaming Dead Cells, which is by far my favorite game of the year so far, at http://twitch.tv/sofajusticewarriors, for the next few hours.

you mixed up steam thread and stream thread

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 26, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

HopperUK posted:

Friends I am thinking I might buy Football Manager. It might be time.

Football Manager is the best manager game out there, though if it's your first one you should probably check out Motorsport Manager as a good entry tier management game to ease yourself into things. Also, grab it on sale at a local games shop if ever possible, that's where they're usually the cheapest. Got my copy of FM 17 for £10 at the local GAME in March.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Gorn Myson posted:

Grab Football Manager while its cheap. Don't worry about getting the next version, they're never really that much different anyway.

There's quite a fair bit in the backend that gets tweaked, personally I'm hoping that crossing gets nerfed a bit because headers are far, far, far too strong at the moment and are essentially a guaranteed way to score even with a bad team. like man u

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

DaveKap posted:

I saw "football manager is the best manager game" and was ready to reply mentioning how amazingly good Motorsport Manager is... then I read the rest of your post. I can vouch that as a person who actually doesn't like the very bland version of management games (and has zero interest in soccer/footie) Motorsport Manager blew me away in how much fun it was.

Yeah, the way I look at it MM is the 'do you like this genre?' game, and all other management games are much more tailor made for their sport or field. Wish it had much more in terms of depth though, all told it's an exceedingly simple feedback loop. Still enjoyed the many hours I put in it on iOS and PC!

Gorn Myson posted:

I haven't got FM17 and I skipped FM16 too, but I'm curious if they did anything about the press conferences/private conversations/team talk stuff to make them less tedious, because they always struck me as an addition that just made the game more "realistic" without making it anymore compelling.

They tie in much more with other mechanics, like board expectations and player morale and behaviours. Ever since Leicester's big win in the Premier League, you can tell they honed the player management with that data in mind, giving you as the manager much more power with your words rather than just via stats. You can just delegate all that poo poo though if you want!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

LawBreakers is Overwatch but rated M and with like 4 variations on Genji so maybe don't play it.

It also has really neat movement mechanics that I'd love to see in more, better games. Also backwards blindfiring locomotion never stops being the coolest idea for a shooter.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The characters are bland as heck. It's more like the old UT style but with loadouts rather than Overwatch and it's MOBA like 'hero' units. Would've been better if they went the Tribes route and just had classes without any identity.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

This might be the right place to ask:

Feeling like a Diablo-type game and looking at Path of Exile. Is it bad about free to play traps, or is it a good game without getting nickel and dimed to death, and also, can you have a good time playing alone or do you need a party going to enjoy it?

It's a good enough game if you're into Diablo. Totally playable solo.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Urban Empire's not very good right? It's got 2.5 stars everywhere but I've never heard anything about it. The idea of a citybuilder where you only have partial control sounds really fun though. The thing I've learned from Tropico and Banished is that they're too easy because they're too solvable, but games like Sim City and Cities get boring for me because they're largely just about making a huge city; a lot of the incidental stuff sort of doesn't matter.

It's a real shame. The issue is that you either have no difficulty or you just lose. There's actually no room for politicking thanks to how the numbers were balanced, which is a real shame because everything else around the game is fairly solid. Definitely grab it when its on sale if you like poking at ideas that don't execute well.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ulio posted:

Did anyone get Sundred? It looks fun Metroidvania/Platformer and love the artstyle.

It's loving awful. Infinite enemy spawns coupled with procedural level generation leads to a grindy and dull if beautiful game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Songbearer posted:

What's bad about RWR? Not asking defensively, I'm just trying to make a decision between which one to try.

RWR is good and fun. Foxhole chucks in too much in terms of inventory and supply nonsense. RWR is just clean manic fun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dodoman posted:

Has anyone tried Foxhole? It looks really cool but I haven't seen anyone talk about it.

Running with Rifles but with clunky logistics, base building and inventory management.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

:rant:

(...also on a pubg related thing I've never played multiplayer-only games before but I see funny clips from it and I feel oddly tempted? like, it actually looks fun to play, which is wild!)

PUBG is great. If you have Arma 3, try the Battle Royale mod to see if you actually want that kind of gameplay but less janky.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is Kingsway an idler, a roguelike, both or neither?

It's a roguelike that's less fun than an idler.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

lets take the best tactical shooter series of all time and make it a loving generic open world game

But they didn't do that, they made it into a fairly good multiplayer 5v5 shooter.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

you know drat well what i mean

and you know in your heart that rainbow six was always better than ghost recon

SWAT was better than both but that one's just kinda dead. I look forward to the next two year's wave of SWAT clones.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

SWAT4 is on GOG if you want to relive it.

Bought it on GoG as soon as it came out, plus I have it and its expansion on disc. Go play it if you haven't played it before, it's unparalleled.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kragger99 posted:

Is the single player fun? I've never played them, so I'm not sure if they are MP only.

The singleplayer is the best way to play unless you have 7 friends to make up two full squads. These are games with highly renowned campaigns with memorable level design.

Rainbow Six 3 in particular has a planning mechanic whereby you plan every single detail of how your team are clearing through the level and you need to make a perfect plan or else your guys will die, and death is permanent. Rainbow Six 3 is a certified good game. Swat 4 has some rather chilling scenarios and levels, they make use of the law enforcement angle extremely well. Waiting until you're legally allowed to use force is tense, as is identifying friend or foe in a certain night club. Swat 4 is a brilliant game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

What's the difference between the original and remastered versions of Bioshock 1 & 2?

The remastered versions look worse.

You read that right.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Empire isn't as bad as people say it is, especially not now. It's still one of the worst entries, but it was bloody ambitious and I can kinda respect it for that. Same with Rome 2, they tried something different from their standard formula but went the wrong direction. Their best games have always been the simplest though: Rome 1, Shogun 2 and Total Warhammer are all cut from the same cloth of simple is best. Shogun 2 and Rome 1 are my favourites mostly because of the brilliant soundtrack, nothing is more intoxicating than the victory music in those games.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

remember napoleon

Yeah, it was pretty ok. Fun musket battles if that's your thing, shite if it isn't.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

man nurse posted:

I'm so mad I bought this on PS4

Too Shy Guy posted:

Jesus Christ it has VR support, that must be like playing through the climax of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Played a shitton of this in PSVR, it is amazing. Yes, you can aim by waving your hands at the enemies. Yes, it's the best thing you'll ever experience.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

I don't give a poo poo if Valve makes HL3. I mean, I wish they would I guess, but there's so much scar tissue over that wound by now that I feel pretty apathetic about it by this point.

Really I just wish they'd do SOMETHING. They just exist to make money these days. Every single decision they make feels like the end result of a white-board full of dollar signs. And they're not even publicly traded, so they aren't beholden to stock-holders either. It's just sad seeing a company that used to thrive on creating things and pushing boundaries fall back to the safest possible strategies.

SteamVR.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Hollenhammer posted:

Partially. He thinks the game can ONLY be fun if you play stealthily, taser ONLY and NO GUNS EVER!!!!!
All other playstyles, according to George, aren't acceptable.

e: and no melee, apparently

Yeah, I agree. Otherwise the game is far too easy. It's a similar problem to MGSV.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Orv posted:

ITT people seriously consider a John Walker review as potentially useful, even for a moment.

John Walker is a vital source of information, simply take the opposite of his stance and you've got the right opinion on pretty much anything. I've never seen him be right about anything.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I loved early versions of Zomboid. It's good clean zombie fun, and I think it is well worth the price.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Awesome! posted:

i couldnt think of other ninja theory games so i looked it up

2007 Heavenly Sword
2010 Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
2013 DmC: Devil May Cry
2013 Fightback
2014 Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes
2015 DmC: Devil May Cry Definitive Edition
2015 Disney Infinity 3.0
2017 Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

i definitely wouldnt say "good"

I enjoyed Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, DmC and Hellblade. HS was limited, Enslaved is divisive and DmC is highly divisive. I'm glad they finally hit something that is widely agreed as a good game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i love how dmc made fun of the old devil may cry because the old devil may cry was bad

I love both the original trilogy and DmC. Devil May Cry 2 was only mostly awful.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

mystery fluid posted:

I've never tried a Football Manager game and a lot of the bad reviews are saying that it does nothing new. Is it a pretty good game if you're a first timer?

It's the single best management game out there, even if you're not a footie fan. Expect to be totally swamped if you're not familiar with it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

do be aware you need to be a pretty big stathead already for OOTP, as it's very Money ball: The Game

Yeah, OOTP is probably the dullest management game if you're not into baseball. I'd also recommend Eastside Hockey over FHM, vastly more compelling match engine that takes things a bit more out of the stats and more into the players IMHO. What I love about Football Manager especially is its adherence to personality. You really do get the faces and heels you see in real footie, you get the come-from-behind underdog tales and you have to fight against complacency above all as a top team and self-doubt as a small team. It's more of a player management game rather than a fantasy statsheet tracker. It's loving wonderful, especially for a football fan. Even if you're not a football fan, it is tremendously rewarding to learn it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dodoman posted:

If I have FM2014 will I see a noticeable improvement going to FM2017 (outside of roster updates and graphics)?

2014 to 2017, it's a decent enough update. My big issue with 2014 is they tinkered the engine to be far more stat oriented, plus I'm pretty sure that was before crossing the ball was nerfed greatly. After Leicester's win, they've done a lot to make the game much more dynamic in 17, and I'm actually actively looking forward to 18 because of it.

E: Also It's £7 for the next 2 hours!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Knobb Manwich posted:

It was definitely skirmishers vs skirmishers, and skirmishers don't seem to have a 'run' button unlike the regulars who clearly do. :shrug:

That said thanks for the tips.

Thanks as well.

Skirmishers range are based on weapon. Unit type is irrelevant.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

strategery posted:

Anyone got anything good from GOG's pinatas? Just makes me want Viva Pinata 1/2 on steam...

I got Faces of War, Metro 2033 Redux, Armikrog, Edna and Harvey and Slave Zero. Faces of War and Armikrog I'm uninterested in, Metro 2033 Redux I already own on Steam, the other two are poo poo. Wish I got lucky and got something good I didn't already own.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

I got Sexy Brutale, Space Rangers HD, Metro Redux, Expeditions Viking and Homeworld Remastered.

You jammy sod. I own Metro and Homeworld, but I'dve loved to get Brutale and Space Rangers. Ambivalent on Expeditions Viking since I hate their UI and tactical combat, even if the writing is pretty drat good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

odiv posted:

Does anything GOG sell have DRM?

No, in fact that's the USP of GOG as a storefront.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I got Warhammer Man O'War Corsair. Is it any good?

Man O'War Corsair is not great. It may even be bad. However, it has a fuckload of charm and some great ideas, particularly with its quests. I had a great time with it, but if you can't deal with the jank (there's a lot of it) it's not the game for you.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

It's a fun game to play while listening to a podcast in the background. Just don't play Chaos. Raiding towns is a slog.

And it's a really fun game to sit back and stream. I ought to get back to that sometime, Captain Sharkhat (yes, I wore a shark's head as a hat) must purchase an Ork ship and make use of the Boarding Claw.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

You can purchase Ork ships? That must be a new thing.

you have now just ruined my hopes and dreams, why on earth can't you make use of the boarding claw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Deakul posted:

That's unfortunate, you just paid extra for a bunch of sp/mp skins and mp maps.

And Ground Zeroes. Definitive Edition is good value if you don't have Ground Zeroes already. Honestly, it's best value to just play Ground Zeroes and stop there.