Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

DreadCthulhu posted:

Not Steam-specific, but I could use a recommendation for a PC game that lets you do some solid immersive escapism. I really enjoyed the Witcher 3 because it catapulted me into this "believable" fantasy world that I could totally get lost in. Quests, awesome storyline, great characters, mini-games, everything is just beautiful, the soundtrack is sublime etc.

Subnautica was excellent as well as far as being immersive, such a great experience. Curious if there's anything else quite like these from recent years.

This was a few pages back, but Dying Light sucked me in like few games have. The game is really very well done. The people and various story beats are...kinda over the top at times, but believable enough to be a cheesy movie anyway, and the world is super fun to explore. Daytime is relatively safe if you're careful (although you're pretty drat squishy at the start until you get some experience under your belt and some skills unlocked and get used to things) and the night can get very intense. About the only bad thing I can say about the game is the ending wasn't to my taste, and involved a couple of quick-time events rather than just relying on player skill and choices. I understand why they did it--it allowed them to really go for the whole cinematic feel at the end, but I don't like player control being taken away. Anyway, it was still cool, and a tiny part of the overall experience.

(Also, I'm excited about Dying Light 2, which looks cool too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

The main story in Dying Light really threw me off, but I'll second this recommendation anyways because the sidequests are so much fun and the actual gameplay - running away from zombies, and hiding from them - is some of the best parkour I've ever felt in a video game, with an insanely good sense of motion and place.

Yeah, there are a few story beats that are kinda :stare:, but the parkour is for sure the best I've experienced.

On another note Evergarden was released today, by the same small indy team that created Race The Sun, and it's a very cool little puzzle game with a super chill atmosphere, secrets to discover, and fun to be had.

Full disclosure: I'm somewhat biased because I know these guys IRL, and I was already kinda hyped for them because of that, but I played it for a couple of hours tonight and am seriously enjoying it. There's no explanations or explicit rules to learn; everything's completely learn-as-you-go and it's very friendly and intuitive and had some nice "a-ha!" moments. I'm looking forward to seeing what additional game mechanics get unlocked as I progress. Check it out if you like puzzle games!

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

Is Conan worth getting as a SP game?

Underwhelmed posted:

Also would like to know this.

It says you can make private servers and set parameters so I assume that this means that I can reduce/remove the dumb survival treadmill and just be a naked person wandering the land getting into fights with nature/NPCs.

Fargin Icehole posted:

As someone who got it from humble bundle, i would also like to know this

I got it a while back, and screwed around with it for a while, hoping it would scratch the SP/exploration itch I was feeling at the time, but I was just...kinda bored? I eventually ended up getting a refund. It might just be me, but I think it's just too vague and free-form to make for fun SP (genital physics notwithstanding).

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Stokes posted:

The Swapper is $2.24 right now. It's a fantastic puzzle game where you create and use clones of yourself to get through rooms. 95% positive reviews.

Seconding this--it's really, really good. There are a couple of puzzles toward the end that are pretty tough, but the whole game is engaging and fun enough that I encourage you to hang in there and figure them out instead of checking a walkthrough. The Swapper is a really satisfying game.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Crossposting from the Roguelike thread because this is good and more people should be playing it:

I picked up Slasher's Keep today (Steam or Humble), and I'm really enjoying it.

It's a first person dungeon crawler with a really slick cel-shaded look to it, and includes melee combat (complete with block/riposte), ranged pew-pew with wands, shops to buy/sell stuff, a nicely done inventory, and even a relatively simple crafting system. The dungeon floors are entirely procedural, and seem to work really well; I haven't seen any terrible ugliness or broken things yet, after about 6 hours of play.

http://www.slasherskeep.info/screens/1.jpg
http://www.slasherskeep.info/screens/2.jpg
http://www.slasherskeep.info/screens/3.jpg
http://www.slasherskeep.info/screens/4.jpg

It's more a roguelite, since death means getting dragged back to your starting cell and losing all your possessions and money, but you keep the majority of earned attributes/levels (and you have an option to drop items down a trash chute from time to time, so that they'll be available to your newly-risen self).

The gameplay seems pretty well balanced, and careful resource management and equally careful play are both rewarded. There are a variety of sneaky/clever tactics you can use from traps and thrown bombs to sneak attacks and just generally using the environment (e.g. dodging behind geo to block enemy shots). You can also use the ever-popular exploding barrels, or swing your weighty inventory sack into enemies to send them flying into handy spiked walls.

And there's nothing like desperately eating tiny crawling bugs off floors and walls to regain an extra sliver of health. :spiderguy:

The game is made by one dude, who does programming, art, animation...everything. And it's way better than I was expecting.

Note that it *is* currently in early access, but has been for quite a while, and seems pretty drat polished at this point.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Nettle Soup posted:

Oh hey, new Steam library UI.

How do I zoom it out like 50%...

Not quite what you're wanting, but you can go to View-->Settings-->Library and knock the default UI display down to small from automatic, which helped in my case. YMMV depending on monitor size/res.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Just got done playing Rime https://store.steampowered.com/app/493200/RiME/

Man, I was not expecting that game to be as good as it was, especially since I bought it for like 2 dollars earlier this year. I guess it did come out in 2017 though. Real glad I didn't miss out on this one.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Just finished Rime and I got an itch for another Ico style platformer. And suggestions?

Rime was really cool and made my heart happy.

This isn't remotely an ico style platformer, but this and Rime were both games that I bought on sale really cheap, not necessarily expecting a whole lot, and they both surprised the poo poo out of me in how fun and cool they were.
Don't get me wrong, neither is like the greatest game ever, but they're both smaller games that scratched an itch really well and left me feeling slightly guilty that I'd paid so little.

Buy Valley!