Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Just Cause 4 not looking so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

August 2017 Humble Monthly

NBA 2K17 (early unlock)
Pillars of Eternity (early unlock)
One Piece Burning Blood
Offworld Trading Company
War for the Overworld
Overcooked
Wuppo!
Nongunz
Quiet City (humble original)

Next bundle early unlock:
Killing Floor 2

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Gorn Myson posted:

Is there a Steam code trading thread around here? I've picked up an awful lot of games through Humble Monthly that I already own and I'd like to do a mix of giving them away on here and trading them for something else.

Here you go: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3513572&pagenumber=1

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

iRend posted:

I can't believe i'm saying this, I'm reinstalling No Man's Sky.

I didn't bother with the 1.1 and 1.2 updates, but this new one has got me hooked again. I played about 40 hours of what was released last fall and liked it but after you maxed out your ship and suit, got all of the tech super easy just by interacting with every object you saw and visited a bunch of planets with no other real purpose, there was no further reason to play. The new quests and missions focus the gameplay more, there are some much-needed QoL improvements in the interface, you now have to put some effort into getting tech and money so you can't get max ship/suit slots in one hour anymore, and there's a sense of progression that was missing a year ago.

Seriously, if you still have the game in your library but haven't touched it since last year, give it a shot. It's still by no means perfect and needs more bug fixes but they've clearly been steadily working on this.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

I see Signal from Tolva is the daily deal today. Has anyone played it? I used to have it wishlisted, but took it off during the summer sale for some reason (can't remember why - maybe it was too samey?)
It's the same team that did Sir, You Are Being Hunted.

I got it the week it came out and beat it. It has some neat, eerie story moments but it's pretty short (explored the whole game world area in 8 hours) and repetitive. Very little weapon or enemy variety.

I just took a look at the "not recommended" reviews near the top of the store page and I agreed with them, I suggest you check them out - it's not a terrible game by any stretch of the imagination, it just feels like a neat idea for a game severely constrained by its budget. $10 might be an appropriate price for the experience.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

dromal phrenia posted:

Are the games that aren't goat simulator any good in this bundle? https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/indie-legends-6-bundle

I ask because I already have goat simulator and the only other game I've heard of is Shadowrun: Dragonfall

I've heard good things about Chroma Squad and The Final Station.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

This sure looks like...something.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/681240/Dujanah/

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Feel free to add me for Heat Signature too https://steamcommunity.com/id/drtedcrazylegsnelson

On Sunday I got an invite to the last(?) beta phase and played for a few hours this week - it has a pretty addictive game loop and a nice variety of mission goals/equipment/threats.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Anyone have any experience with this? http://store.steampowered.com/app/458680/Auto_Age_Standoff/

It looks cool and I love vehicular combat but I can only find a few gameplay videos that are anywhere near recent.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Sininu posted:

Why are people adding each other for Heat Signature?

Just bought it as well but I'm kind of afraid from watching videos that the busy visuals at times would make distinguishing my character and important objects from the level difficult for me.

As said above, your character can appear in other people's games; if one of your guys get captured by enemy ships, one of your steam friends can have a misson to rescue them. Also when you "retire" a character, you can pick an item to be "legendary" and named anything you want and it'll show up in other people's games.

The display is small, but on ships you can zoom in and out. Also, you can pause the game at any time, and when you do, there's a list of items laying on the floor of the current ship on your left side (and every 30 seconds you can teleport one of those items to you); also, when paused, a context menu appears on the right and shows you what current actions you can take based on what is near you (ie if you knock a guard out but don't have a lethal weapon, you can still kill them by using the context menu, etc.).

Also, I believe when you zoom far enough out, guards show up as red/orange dots (like you're seeing their - wait for it - heat signature), and after a while you get used to seeing what everything looks like that you would typically interact with.

The interface can be a little tricky at first but you should be able to pause and see everything you need at any time.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

VolticSurge posted:

So, uh, first Goon review of Heat Signature... is pretty negative.

hahaha what.

I've played the game for at least 4 hours now (including beta) and the only time a ship shoots at you that I've seen so far is if you drift too far into one of the white cones of vision coming out of it. It is dead easy to manuever behind the ship, hit the brakes to match speed, and then start alternating thrust/brake to get into position.

If anything, the one thing I don't like (and I sent feedback on it) is that flying back to a base in your pod takes way too much time because it isn't moving, so the braking stops you, and you end up doing a lot more jiggering to line up with it correctly. Oddly enough, in missions where you have to "hijack this ship," when it's done you can just hold F and it'll fly you automatically to the nearest friendly base, and I asked in feedback why you could do this with larger ships and not the pod.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

So I don't know if anyone here has heard about this new game "heat signature" but is it any fun or is all the fun in posting your profiles here?

Yes.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Disgusting Coward posted:

Does Heat Signature get challenging at any point? Like, so far it seems trivial to pause-wrench the entire crew of a ship and steal it.

How long have you been playing? You eventually start unlocking more mission difficulties and conditions that make things more interesting.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

what's wrong with having fun? Guy Mann

fixed

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

The Kins posted:

I had a similar situation, but I got it riiiight on the buzzer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEuR9QmaVdU

I like how just as you shot him, you could see part of the base graphic pass over the ship :stare:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Humble Monthly

Rise of the Tomb Raider
Wargame: Red Dragon
Furi
Orwell
Seasons After Fall
The Shrouded Isle
Scanner Sombre

Next month:
Quake Champions, ESO Tamriel Unlimited, "a special offering for The Elder Scrolls: Legends, and ESO Vanity pet: Bristlegut Piglet plus 15 days of ESO Plus"

I was interested in Furi and Shrouded Isle, so this worked out for me - how is Orwell and Seasons after Fall?

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 6, 2017

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Hand of Fate is really good for $1

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Humble Jumbo Bundle 10

$1
Grey Goo Definitive Edition
Epistory: Typing Chronicles
Oddworld New 'N' Tasty

BTA
Prototype 2
Kingdom: New Lands
How to Survive 2
"More in 7 days 1 hour"

$10
Wasteland 2 (+$10 also gives you the OST)
$2 Humble Wallet credit if you subscribe to Humble Monthly

The only thing here I've played is Prototype 2, which I enjoyed.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Too Shy Guy posted:

:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension FINAL CUT :ghost:

I always enjoy reading these, thanks for doing them.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Rebuild 3 is a ton of fun and addictive to the point where I made myself stop playing it just to keep myself from spending too much time on it.

Haha I bought Rebuild 3 on sale at Xmas last year and haven't touched it since, owned by Steam backlog again.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Too Shy Guy posted:

I noticed one of the Weeklong Deals this week is SkyDrift, a 6-year-old airplane racing game that plays like a cross between Crimson Skies and Mario Kart. I'm going to review it but I'd like to give the multiplayer a try because honestly this thing is really really fun. If you've got it (or want to shell out $2.50 for it), want to play against people, and can show up at 10pm PST (or about 22 hours from now) then I say let's race some airplanes.

I'm going to announce this over my group tomorrow too, but I figure I'd give y'all some advance warning if you'd like to join.

I never tried the multiplayer, but I agree that SkyDrift is a fun game if you like arcade combat/racing games. $2.50 is way worth it.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

as far as the Humble Monthly goes, I think your valuation of it will depend on how open minded you are about indie games. Since I joined Humble Monthly in September 2016, there's been (this is just the indies):

Fun fact - I didn't buy anything in the summer sale this year and will likely bow out of the winter sale as well, because I decided to do Humble Monthly for a year and I picked up nearly every indie/slightly older AAA title on my wishlist through that.

Now, back to playing the same three games I always play :negative:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

it sounds like The Division would have been better as a Sledge Hammer! game

hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGYKU7mbv74

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

My favorite will always be Crimson Skies. It put on a short audio play of a rather important plot point during the installation.

While we're doing old game installers, here's Battlezone 98. I was kind of impressed at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jK0ctIwSl4

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I have played it, but I found the open world dull and I missed the great tracks of 3 and Revenge.

:hai:

quote:

Split/Second,
the greatest racing game

:hai: :hai:

Gonna keep bringing it up whenever it's mentioned, but the soundtrack in Split/Second is phenomenal - instead of using licensed music or generic EA TRACKS poo poo, they composed an original orchestral score to go with it, and in some races (chapter-ending boss races particularly) it dynamically changes given the status of the race.

Whoever above said it's like racing in a Michael Bay movie is dead on.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Dramicus posted:

Ravenfield is a similar game with a generic red vs blue aesthetic going on and a focus on mod support. So you can play ww2-ish with mp40s and m1s or you can play with modern weapons, star wars blasters or everything at the same time. It also supports as many bots as your system can handle, I generally play with 150 and everything runs smoothly. You can also order your bots around a bit and set general strategies for the map. There are loads of mods on the workshop already.

Huh, I might give this a go, thanks for mentioning it.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Orv posted:

E: And in case the joke isn't obvious, Shroud of the Avatar is releasing for real pretty soon, you really really shouldn't buy it.

I haven't followed anything about this game since it was kick-started, nor have I read any major drama about it - what's the word on this, if you don't mind my asking?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Terminally Bored posted:

Also, they started selling land in the game. It's basically a trainwreck like Star Citizen but fantasy themed.

Ah it's one of those situations.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Samuringa posted:

I always thought Just Cause 2 had a very empty or at least an unreasonably large map. Traversing around was always a pain in the rear end, even with the hook.

That's why you installed the superman/iron man flying mod.

And the sunglasses, which make everything in the game better.

I loved starting half-hour-long car chases and just doing acrobatics over all the cars and blowing everything up. Nothing I've played since has really ever felt quite like it.

Every time I think of buying JC3, I read a review where someone says "JC2 is one of my favorite action games ever and JC3 doesn't make the cut," and I just silently go :smith: and back off buying it.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

I did notice it's been super cheap in the last few Steam sales, so maybe I'll give it a shot the next time around...

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What are all these mods for Just Cause 2 that I should be using for maximum fun?

I don't know if there's a better site but this is where I got mine back in the day: https://justcause2mods.com/

(All you need is the sunglasses mod, everything else is optional)

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

- The whole end sequence is just epic as gently caress.

I don't play a whole lot of AAA action titles anymore so maybe it's more common than I think, but I remember playing through the last sequence there starting where you're sneaking around and seeing all the warriors and the massive fight that follows, and thinking they somehow got the whole look and flow of a giant summer action movie climax setpiece done perfectly.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

The Kins posted:

Posting this in the right thread this time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRnn94RoluI

July 3rd. Free if you own the previous versions on Steam. Nicer graphics and 4k support. Yes, this trailer has a redone version of that song.

This rules.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

The Kins posted:

Just announced: Generation Zero, an open-world co-op Left 4 Horizon side-project thing by the Just Cause folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6kheRkaT7Q

Left 4 Dead meets Tales From the Loop.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

I don't mind haul posts.

Also you can go under your "activity" tab in the Steam client and it'll show you what your friends have bought - I've found out about games I haven't heard of that way too.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

gmq posted:

If I already have the classic version of Skyrim, is the Special Edition worth it at 50%?

If you're interested in modding/mod your game heavily, it might be - it has 64 bit support and crashes way, way less than classic does with a ton of mods installed, it's really the biggest improvement SE brings.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

I'm two hours into Just Cause 3, which I held off on getting since its release because JC2 is one of my all-time favorite games ever and people said it wasn't as good.

So far it's good, but gently caress them for removing the stunt stuff on cars (ie hanging off the front bumper, moving to different positions on a car) and for not being able to just pull people down by grappling them (now you have to attach a second hook and hit another button for that to happen).

On the other hand, it's amazing how just essentially breathing on stuff blows it up now - cars, bridges, whatever. It's pretty funny.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Pierson posted:

Speaking of survival games are there any more that are like Terraria/Subnautica that have some kind of narrative or quest system to give me a reason to be doing stuff? I enjoy the genre sometimes but I really want some sense of purpose to play them and the Minecraft/ARK style of "do whatever you want! no rules!" just kind of puts me off. Ideally ones that have fairly recent/up-to-date graphics, I'm kind of sick of pixel-based stuff.

The Forest has a main story (find and rescue your son) that you can put off forever by becoming a wilderness warlord and hunting cannibals and mutants. It came out of early access a month or so ago and it's what I've mainly been playing, it's fun.

The Long Dark also has sandbox and story modes, although I haven't really gotten far into that one yet. It's a much more severe and "realistic" survival game than The Forest (or Subnautica or other similar games).

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I was also wondering if anyone has played Freeman: Guerrilla Warfare? It popped up in my queue and it looks pretty cool, but I'd like to hear some goon impressions as they tend to be pretty close to my taste (Bad).

I'm interested in this one too, but I recall the consensus of the handful of people here who've talked about it is it's good but it's still very early and rough. That was a few months ago though so I don't know if it's made progress since then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

So if i like Everspace after about 2 hours of play, I should get the DLC, right?

--

I've been playing a lot of Wrongworld. It's a 3D survival crafting game made by one guy (just recently out of early access too I believe), and if you're not a fan of the genre, this game is unlikely to make you one. If you're like me though and can't get enough of them, you might be interested in it. It's weird and goofy, which is a nice change from the apocalyptic/horror settings these things usually get; the low-poly art style reminded me of an old PS1 game called Tail of the Sun, which might ring a bell for some of you - someone else on the game's forums felt the same way, and the dev said he wasn't familiar with it but was instead inspired by Don't Starve - and there's all kinds of bizarre things to see and discover.

Your hero is an ersatz ewok-looking fellow who has crashlanded on an alien planet. You start with nothing and have to hunt, build, gather resources and find a way off the planet. Think Subnautica except on land and way, way sillier. The worlds are randomly generated with several biomes, populated by a bunch of weird creatures (rock monsters, spring-like snakes, lizard-chicken...things) both passive and aggressive. The crafting progression is pretty typical - make this workbench, get new resources with the tool you build from there to build the next advanced workbench, combine stuff from those to make the next advanced things, etc. - but it progresses smoothly and quickly enough to not feel too grindy. Except for rocks, you need to mine a lot of rocks - you can plant and harvest new trees and vegetables, but not rocks, which contain the precious metals you need for crafting, and it really pushes you to explore further afield. You can build houses, walls, traps, spotlights, chests and a plethora of tools, jet packs, armor and weapons, and cook a large amount of food (the only needs you have to worry about are hunger and health).

Every couple of days or so (theres a day/night cycle, and it happens fast), an event happens. You will be attacked by a colossal rock giant or a super-aggressive version of one of the most passive creatures on the planet; I've had UFOs show up and try to abduct me, giant weird laser pyramid things appear next to my house and spawn a bunch of the spring snakes on me; I've witnessed meteors raining from the sky and crashing into the ground, and rainbows after heavy rain storms. There's also a lot of weird points of interest and items scattered around the world for you to find an interact with.

The game default has you playing permadeath; if you play with it on, when you die, you get XP towards unlocking items you can craft the next time to help. In 8 hours I've died only once; I got enough XP to be able to make sneakers (they make you move faster, ofc) the next time around, so that was nice. It's hard to regain health - the various foods you make give back a lot of hunger but only a fraction of health, but your health regenerates when your food is over 90, so the game incentivizes you to eat often to keep your hunger full and to stay healed. Or you can switch the game to non-permadeath and play that way too, if you prefer.

The only real gripe I have is the combat - there's a basic combat lock-on involved (that was only recently added), combat is basically you hitting the monster enough to stun-lock it. Occasionally one of your hits will knock it out of range, so now you have to move back to it without getting hit again. There are no ranged weapons that I've seen thus far. It's maybe a little too simple and it's too easy to get overwhelmed when you wind up with multiple opponents. The game also has a heavy dose of inventory management - if you were one of those people tearing your hair out in Subnautica about inventory, you're going to be confronted with the same dilemma here (you can craft some additional inventory spaces though).

Overall though it's a nice little distraction and has probably been the biggest surprise of the sale for me. I found it on the discovery queue, which I'm finding has been good for like ONE game a year that pops up that I knew nothing about that I didn't know I wanted.