Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
A pretty difficult platformer, DYE, is on sale for $3.39 right now. It's pretty cool. Levels start out black and white. Dye collectables placed in the level add color to them once collected. There's leaderboards but you have to collect all the dye in the level for your time to register. That's not necessarily a bad thing. There's also hard versions of each level and unlockable challenge levels. Lots of elements of Super Meat Boy, some elements of Stealth Bastard Deluxe, and a little bit of The End is Nigh. If you were disappointed in The End is Nigh like I was, DYE might be a better substitute for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Hey if you bought Observer and have Layers of Fear, hold off on playing it for more than 2 hours. Not even an hour after I bought Observer I got a coupon for 20% off Observer for Layers of Fear owners.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

I hate to say this because I was looking forward to it for such a long time now, but hold off on Hob for now. It's crashing everyone's computer.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

Well when it doesn't do that I'd love to hear about it because at the risk of starting the Torchlight 2 section of the Steam Thread Cycle I'm also looking forward to see what Runic can do.

I fixed it by going from Ultra to High, but at least on laptops, people are having big problems because of something to do with the integrated graphics card.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Stokes posted:

I fixed it by going from Ultra to High, but at least on laptops, people are having big problems because of something to do with the integrated graphics card.

Welp nevermind, that doesn't fix it either.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I got it on GOG, and it's been running fine for the past hour and a half.

Looks great, too.

Guess I'll have to wait for a patch, but man am I disappointed.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Turd Herder posted:

Hows the lack of dialog or text in game work? Is the story still good thru visuals?

A robot guide points at stuff and mumbles unintelligible robot speak to get you started with the basics up until you find your first upgrade station. The rest is up to you.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

RUINER is incredible, but if you try to play it with KB + M, while acceptable to do so, you might end up with a numb hand. Especially if you play on hard where poo poo is crazy.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

Im here to talk about A Robot Named Fight, it's the one and only Metroidvania roguelike on Steam, unlike games that call themselves Metroidvania roguelikes that aren't (Dead Cells, Rogue Legacy, etc)

A Robot Named Fight builds its randomly generated world around the ability-gated barriers, which makes ability pickups necessary to collect to progress, something that a lot of games that claim to be Metroidvanias don't seem to get. If you can just get from point A to point B in a straight shoot (coughAPOTHEONcough) then that's just an action game. What's fun about Metroidvanias is getting to a new area full of pathways, some you can get to and some you can't, and exploring the gently caress out of it, then getting new abilities and going back to past areas to see if you can get to a new section.

Agreed but there are cases in ARNF where there is no chance to go back to a room you can't get to yet because you haven't unlocked the specific item yet that will take you there, like the super jump boots for example.

quote:

Okay mini rant over. A Robot Named Fight's biggest flaw right off the bat is its lack of responsive movement. There's a small lag between pressing a direction and seeing your character move that I just don't understand (it's not that way for jumping or shooting). It is pretty distracting especially when you need to make more precise jumps in later moments of your run.

Agreed, the controls are hard to get used to and more than a little clunky.

quote:

You only have one life to win your run, but if you can find a save station, you basically get one backup life. I'm not sure if there are more than one because I've only managed to find one per run so far.

I believe there can be more than one.

quote:

(enemies drop parts which you can take to an "ally" on the map to craft these).

In all the games I've played, I've never been able to collect enough scrap or find enough of those blue, red, or green balls for the ally to craft anything worthwhile. I think there is a disconnect there that should be addressed in a patch or something. Even if I spend time meticulously shooting every single block in every room that shows an item is hidden in it, I'm rarely able to craft any more than an area map. It's frustrating.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Turd Herder posted:

Un related but what about Project Zomboid?

It looks fun but i'd like a goons to play with.

I bailed super early on it when the dev's laptops they used to code the game were stolen, and they didn't think to make back-ups of all the code elsewhere.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Picked up Jydge on a slow weekend and finished it. Short but sweet.

You get to the point where you feel godlike then the game introduces a whole new difficulty level to kick your rear end in whole new ways.

I am pleasantly surprised by it as well. They really nailed the character progression and the climb in difficulty.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

Anybody played post-apocalyptic Risen, which is to say Elex? I liked Gothic 1 and 2, and Risen 1, so the idea of them doing a Fallout is interesting to me, but Risen 2 kinda sucked.

I'm loving it, but a lot of reviewers and steam forum posters (don't read the steam forums) are complaining about the combat which to be fair is not 100% explained fully in-game, and they also don't like that there's monsters that will pretty much one shot you and take no damage right outside town. The exploration is awesome.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Rookersh posted:

Elex is shockingly good.

Yeah man, it's great. I'm thinking of just doing the black market stuff and then bailing on BerzerkerTown to go in search of the Outlaws with stops along the way to just explore a bunch of cool poo poo, but I don't know how much of that is going to matter as far as the main plot goes.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Monolith is 100% my jam, and I got it for 5 bux. NES graphics, spaceship roguelike with power ups and rooms and bosses and drat it feels good.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Dias posted:

Monolith is a pretty fun lil' game. It feels like Binding of Isaac but without all the bullshit.

I love it. I got to the third floor. Once.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Backing this up, buy Monolith.

Of the games that I bought for Christmas, Monolith has the most hours put in already. (The sword still sucks though.)

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Rirse posted:

I picked up Fire Pro Wrestling World from the Steam sale and grabbed a bunch of people from the workshop, but while it downloaded and they show up in the "uninstall mod" page, none of them show up in the option to select wrestlers, only showing the generic default ones. Only the custom ref is showing up in the listing, as the custom ring isn't appearing either.

You have to make another Fed and then add them to the fed from the retired list. Yes, it's dumb and obtuse and a lot of people needed a walkthrough just to do this, but it is indeed possible.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/564230/discussions/0/1456202946274454066/

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours is an amazing shmup that I had on my wishlist for, I think, more than a year before this Winter Sale. There is so much content, and it's all really neat. I'm not sure why they think selling it for $50 is a good idea ($60 on PS4 geez) though, so if you're a hardcore fan of shmups get it now before it goes back up to a weirdly expensive price.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe it's because I'm getting to old for this poo poo, but I am hopelessly lost one hour into Iconclasts and it's pissing me off, and it's just not fun.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Wind physics. Check.
Disappearing platform. Check.
Switch to move obstacle. Check.
Spikes/ground is lava. Check.
Platforms that move when you press a direction while standing on them. Check.
Mid-air icon that grants you another jump. Check.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a platformer. Celeste is great and all, but this is one of the most try-hard platforming levels I've ever seen.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is...that optional? Or mandatory? Because if it's mandatory I am never getting it, ever.

It's mandatory.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

the wind physics are poo poo though, bad gimmick, delete

Yes. To be fair, if the wind physics didn't exist the chapter from the pic I posted would be much more bearable, but I still think it tries a little to hard to cram stuff into the levels that really don't need to be there.

Edit: It's still a great game though, and I'll still finish it. And I'll be glad I did.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

PaybackJack posted:

How are people feeling about Into the Breach. I think the RNG/roguelike elements are a bit too much for runs that take this long. .

It's pretty cool until you make one mistake and should probably just sever the run.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

maybe Rusev can get booked there

Buy the "Rusev Day DLC" featuring pilot Lana and mascot Rusev. Also available is an alternate soundtrack sung by Aiden English.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

TastyLemonDrops posted:

What're your victory + high scores for Into the Breach? I've got a 28689 with the default mech squad.

The answer is probably that I'm just bad at the game, but I don't understand how you have all those pilots to choose from at the end of your run. I haven't beaten the 2nd island yet but the most I've ever had to chose from was 4 because I found a dude in a pod. How in the world do you have 8?

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Wreckfest is really fun. You unlock everything by playing the game. There's lots of difficulty options. There's lots of different modes. There's a nice selection of cars. There's lawnmower racing so you can cosplay as Hank Hill. Multiplayer is a blast, especially if you find a good server. But you'll probably run into race sim nerds that yell at you to stay in your lane even though this is an arcade racing game that rewards you with experience points for being a complete rear end in a top hat.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Croccers posted:

Yeah, what the gently caress is up with the Racing Sim nerds getting their finger into this game? I noticed they got in on the floor not too far into EA.

Well you can certainly play it like a racing sim, but that sure isn't any fun. I'd much rather finish 14th out of 24 with a car that looks like this but have enough experience points to gain another level.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Croccers posted:

So why did they latch onto the game for?

Well before it was called Wreckfest it was called Next Car Game which was stuck in developmental hell for like 3 years so it's a game that any car racing game enthusiast has always had in the back of their mind. That is my guess.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

I bought Ni No Kuni II and am playing on the hardest difficulty. It's the game I keep coming back to the most of all the games I bought during this sale, but I can't even imagine just how boring the game would be on normal difficulty.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Does anyone know anything about Enlightenment? Roguelite Shooter that just got out of Early Access from the developers of Detention. There's not a whole lot of recent reviews so I'm wondering if it's just a dump and run.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

The Messenger is ok but maybe one day someone will make a retro game and won't put an ice physics level in it.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Xaris posted:

Its not that bad and very small level. But eh.

One thing I am loving glad is that someone made a retro game that doesnt have instant-death spikes and super-meatboy level of bullshit platforming. It's nice to actually be able to casually do platforming and sometimes cheese it with tanking and invincibiltiy framing some of the platforming. This greatly makes it soo good

Yes it was totally designed with speedrun damage-boosting in mind.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

If any fans of Baldur's Gate or Fallout or Icewind Dale were thinking about buying Pathfinder: Kingmaker you might want to hold off unless you're cool with enemies with bloated Armor Classes that you need to roll a 15-20 to hit. In the tutorial. On normal difficulty.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 30, 2018

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Phantom Doctrine, which is probably my MVP purchase of this sale, is a pretty good X-Com game but if you play it like an X-Com game you're gonna have a bad time (which is where I assume most of the bad reviews come from). The best possible outcome for each mission is to collect all documents and weapon stashes without firing a gun a single time. It's right up my alley.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Deakul posted:

...Yeah...

So how about those sports... games?

Out of the Park Baseball 19 is a master class sports sim game that I genuinely love.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I have 16 and 17, is 19 a big improvement? I recently moved to California and want to learn about the Padres and have used OOTP in the past to get a feel for team strengths and weaknesses.

It is their magnum opus.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Does anyone have a problem with Steam where if you click on 'Configure Microphone' in the broadcast settings menu nothing happens? I'm trying to be able to use my mic while streaming through Steam, but it is simply not letting me.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

RIP Islands of Nyne. https://steamcommunity.com/games/islandsofnyne/announcements/detail/1696067270995765571

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

My Out of Left Field Steam Christmas Sale Best Game Bought Award goes to Mothergunship which is a roguel-lite where you get to build your own way over the top guns. One time I had a Shotgun, Double Shotgun, Chaingun and Railgun barrel all connected to the same trigger. Oh and on the other hand I had a Lava Launcher + Machingun combo. Fun gameplay and it never takes itself seriously. Love it.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

There is an actual glitch room that you can fall into by way of the floor. STRAFE does have some weird collision detection. I was bunnyhopping through a level and I hit one of those surprise rooms that opens whenever you cross a trigger in the level. There were no enemies inside but there was no way to open it from the inside either :/

How is the gun feel in it? Does it actually feel like you are in command of all that firepower and do the enemies react accordingly? The teams last game, Tower of Guns, had crazy stuff for weapons too but non of it really had any "oomph" behind them.

The only ones I liked were against Jack.

The enemies are soulless flying/crawling robots that kamikazee you, turrets that sometimes shoot giant and/or 16 missiles at you at a time, and lava. There's a lot of circle-strafing and avoiding environmental damage as you triple jump your way around the map shooting at flying robots and poo poo. I was happy with the 'oomph' but that doesn't really matter to me much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

At least Jydge is A Good Game.