Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Slippery posted:

The first fast and furious where the team is hijacking a truck of dvds

Technically, they are hijacking combo VCR/DVD players :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

He doesn't kill himself, he ascends to a higher level of consciousness.

As one does.

:gizz:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's living it's best life.

Digital vivisection.

The Saturn CD player was better because it had a spaceship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LEN8j9OYmI

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheat Loaf posted:

This was on when I was 10. I thought it was weird then and I think it's kind of weird now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utgXR6k-P1s

I love Angela Anaconda. Honestly one of my favourite kids shows of all time.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Oh my God, she got him

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm not sure how many kids shows even bother much anymore with the 'token rich kid in public school' thing, and even the ones you do see tend to be more new money upper-middle class than the ridiculous levels of rich you saw in some shows. Mostly because everyone knows all the richies keep their kids (and their tax money) far away from public schools.

The latest Spider-man movies do the opposite and have Spider-man be the token poor kid in a rich magnet school.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I watched Angela Anaconda, and I feel like the worst crime of the show was that it was too twee. The collage artstyle honestly wasn't that bad in action and let it stand out from the crowd pretty well; it's jarring now, because it's kinda the only one that tried and it didn't do great at it, but it definitely called out for attention.

But oh my god, watching it. I can best describe it as 'if Scrubs was a children's show, and had absolutely no charm whatsoever while thinking it was super-quirky'. It's totally grounded except that it has these absurd one-note secondary characters (but unlike Scrubs it can't hit those notes very well), was utterly in love with its own weirdly idiosyncratic vocabulary, and while it's got some fantasy sequences all they ever really serve to do is make Angela look like a psychopath.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ka Blam was really good overall, tho. I have a soft spot for the really weird poo poo they were letting Nick and MTV do in the 90s. Like Squirt TV was a public access show about a kid watching anime in his bedroom and MTV picked it up and sent Janine Garafalo to hang out with him & eat cereal. Somebody at Viacom was just like "sure, whatever, gently caress it" there for a few years.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

WampaLord posted:

Technically, they are hijacking combo VCR/DVD players :eng101:

I had one in 95 or whenever but I seem to remember it being much bigger, I never understood 10 inch tv screens

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Another one of those fairly trivial "technology marches on" examples: there's one episode of South Park where Token's status as the richest kid in school is emphasised by the fact that... he owns The Lion King on dvd while all the other boys only have it on vhs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The latest Spider-man movies do the opposite and have Spider-man be the token poor kid in a rich magnet school.

If I remember right they literally copied the lottery scene from Waiting for Superman in the comic Miles is from

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In an opposite of aging poorly it turns out that Rifftrax is going back into old releases to edit out any jokes that are considered bad taste/offensive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I watched a lot of Angela Anaconda and enjoyed it at the time, but dear god the short before the Digimon movie was cringe. Then again I was literally a kid at the time and particularly easily amused.

I remember more of the adults being weirdos than the kids. A lot of the best parts in kids shows are when the adults have their own thing going on, like in Rugrats. Hey Arnold in particular comes to mind as a show that'd feature both depending on the episode, and a few conflicts between them.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

purple death ray posted:

Ka Blam was really good overall, tho. I have a soft spot for the really weird poo poo they were letting Nick and MTV do in the 90s. Like Squirt TV was a public access show about a kid watching anime in his bedroom and MTV picked it up and sent Janine Garafalo to hang out with him & eat cereal. Somebody at Viacom was just like "sure, whatever, gently caress it" there for a few years.

:same: I never know how to explain my love for 90's-era cable aside from vague "nostalgia" but this is pretty much it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

In an opposite of aging poorly it turns out that Rifftrax is going back into old releases to edit out any jokes that are considered bad taste/offensive.

That’s awesome. And is especially notable since Mike is an actual evangelical Christian that not all of that crowd are fundamentalists.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

That's awesome.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember more of the adults being weirdos than the kids. A lot of the best parts in kids shows are when the adults have their own thing going on, like in Rugrats. Hey Arnold in particular comes to mind as a show that'd feature both depending on the episode, and a few conflicts between them.

I remember (because it was in all of the adverts) there being one cutaway where Angela imagines her teachers skinny dipping or ice skating in the nude and you're treated to a scene of these odd-looking grey photograph people doing it.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Cool - that reminds me of, was it a Gibson novel or K.W. Jeter who had a novel, with a scene where someone who was watching movies in which cursing and smoking had been edited out?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
because cursing and smoking are exactly like transphobia and homophobia

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
I disagree, they are all bad; we should remove all bad things so that we can become morally perfect people.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Slippery posted:

Cool - that reminds me of, was it a Gibson novel or K.W. Jeter who had a novel, with a scene where someone who was watching movies in which cursing and smoking had been edited out?

Arthur C Clarke, The Ghost from the Grand Banks

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

if you don't know what it's like for someone to make dehumanizing jokes about you, i don't know what to tell you

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Isn’t it a little different when an artist decides to censor their own work? And keep in mind these are just riffs. It’s not like we are burning down the Louvre guys.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Grand Gigas posted:

Isn’t it a little different when an artist decides to censor their own work? And keep in mind these are just riffs. It’s not like we are burning down the Louvre guys.

Look, it’s quite simple. Nothing should ever change, because change is terrifying.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Where's the line between censoring the past rifftracks and Spielberg replacing the guns in ET with walkie talkies?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Beachcomber posted:

Where's the line between censoring the past rifftracks and Spielberg replacing the guns in ET with walkie talkies?

Because making trans/homophobic or racist jokes (I don't know what made the jokes problematic, so I'm just guessing here) further marginalizes populations that already face institutional discrimination.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

because cursing and smoking are exactly like transphobia and homophobia

Chill man i wasn't saying they were, i was just saying that the comment reminded me of the scene in the book; no equivalence is believed or was intended :)

Slippery has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Jan 14, 2019

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Byzantine posted:

Arthur C Clarke, The Ghost from the Grand Banks

Oh, wow, thanks! Good call. I have that in paperback on the shelf so that must be it. How did you remember that, or am I just a doofus and that's a really well known book?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

aight, sorry. i've had to deal with a lot of people saying what i was arguing against, and went looking for it, i suppose

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

aight, sorry. i've had to deal with a lot of people saying what i was arguing against, and went looking for it, i suppose

Hey, no problem, sorry I was unclear and caused confusion!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Slippery posted:

Oh, wow, thanks! Good call. I have that in paperback on the shelf so that must be it. How did you remember that, or am I just a doofus and that's a really well known book?

It stuck out to me cause I first read the book in 2012 on a bus ride with a bunch of smokers, so the "by 2012 smoking became so abhorrent people start editing it out of old movies" thing got a laugh.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 04:55 on Jan 14, 2019

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Slippery posted:

Hey, no problem, sorry I was unclear and caused confusion!

HEY HEY HEY!

This is the internet! How dare the two of you sully it's good name by apologising to one another and being respectful!

Kids today, don't even know how to have online slapfights anymore.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Beachcomber posted:

The ET thing is almost the stupidest thing I ever heard of: he should have re-edited it to show more guns, rpg’s, landmines, drones, apc’s, full tac gear. The cute struggle as Eliot tries to stay with ET should have the kid being maced and tazed and subdued with baton rounds at a minimum. Just to keep it barely believable.

Also editing your lovely past behaviour is the reason Brad Pitt’s character carves swastikas into nazi foreheads in Inglourious Basterds, so maybe don’t. If you need to preface all your material, past present and future with an apology, or explanation and trigger warnings do that, instead of revising everything to make it look like you’re a saint.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I was going to contribute about censorship, but I got distracted reading about the episode of Peppa Pig that isn't shown in Australia because it said spiders were safe, and came across Angela Anaconda X Peppa Pig

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Torquemada posted:

Also editing your lovely past behaviour is the reason Brad Pitt’s character carves swastikas into nazi foreheads in Inglourious Basterds, so maybe don’t. If you need to preface all your material, past present and future with an apology, or explanation and trigger warnings do that, instead of revising everything to make it look like you’re a saint.

They don't seem to be trying to hide anything though. If anything, they're calling attention to their own transgressions and acknowledging them, while also making their products better and more accessible?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Tiggum posted:

They don't seem to be trying to hide anything though. If anything, they're calling attention to their own transgressions and acknowledging them, while also making their products better and more accessible?

I’m not specifically talking about them, this is something that happens a lot, in lots of different media.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminded of how the Censored Eleven classic cartoon shorts were apparently released in a special edition with an unskippable Whoopi Goldberg (I think?) intro warning about the content and how times were different.

The Australia one is more funny because it's like releasing an episode about how... I dunno, tigers are friendly and safe to pet.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Torquemada posted:

The ET thing is almost the stupidest thing I ever heard of: he should have re-edited it to show more guns, rpg’s, landmines, drones, apc’s, full tac gear. The cute struggle as Eliot tries to stay with ET should have the kid being maced and tazed and subdued with baton rounds at a minimum. Just to keep it barely believable.

This is a very weird post and I don’t understand the point you’re trying to make. In any case I don’t think that going back and changing your previous works to make them less offensive is comparable to a Nazi hiding his history of killing Jews.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They call her "Anaconda" because strangulation is her favoured execution method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Solice Kirsk posted:

In about 10 more years AV snobs will start claiming that Laserdisc is the best way to view movies because of "the warmth of the picture" or something. Probably a few of them right now actually. Like these guys:

I doubt it -- the warm, analog format in this analogy would be film, and that's already a thing. Sort of. Laserdiscs do have a certain antique/nostalgia value, but that's all they'll ever be. They're not vinyl, they're cassette tape.