Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think a lot of the time it's people going "Hey I can't be racist. My great-grandfather was discriminated against which means I am basically a minority and can therefore say whatever I want about current minority groups."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Yea anti-Italian/Irish/etc racism was absolutely a thing that destroyed people but it was generations ago and almost always boiled down to nationalist anti-immigrant stuff rather than genuine 'everyone from Italy is a goddamn savage' whenever it happened. The whole thing of people whining about anti-Columbus stuff being 'Irish oppression' is just silly

Honestly I found The Sopranos as a whole just absolutely over the top with it's ITALIAN PRIDE!!!!! stuff, to the point where I just started rolling my eyes every time Carmela started going off on how 'actually Italians are really great, I hate how those (non-italian slang word) treat us!' or Tony would visit with people ~*Very Upset*~ about negative Italian portrayal related to his mafia association.. Maybe it's because I grew up in the South, but there has been pretty much no discrimination against Italian people at all through my entire life. It used to be a problem, and if it does come up, sure squash it. But that show sometimes treated it like Italian Americans were getting strung up on street corners in 1990's New Jersey.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sexpig by night posted:

basically any episode of political thrillers where the idea that one big dramatic reveal/hot mic comment is something everyone is terrified of being a part of was already built in the weird West Wing bubble of every debate being calm and rational people using their own logic to hoist the petard of their foes, but now it seems almost like a joke.

Like, I forgot which of the scandal knockoffs it was but I watched a rerun of a show just a year or two old where the big 'you just got politic'd' moment was they found a clip of some lawmaker yelling at his wife and calling her a bitch. This was already dated as hell just with the basic idea that that scandal would sink someone rather than just be a couple days of awkward news, but in a post 'actually as a conservative christian I LIKE the guy who casually talked about grabbing strangers by the pussy with the dumbest person named Bush in America' world it could pass for satire.

Aaron Sorkin is frequently brought up as a punchline in C-SPAM of real world liberals seemingly still in the West Wing mindset rather than engaging with reality, which should say a lot regardless of its accuracy. Politics outpacing satire has really messed with a lot of things.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

TenCentFang posted:

I mentioned it before, but it got a bit harder to watch Dragnet when after an unfortunate comment about homosexuality, and of all decades since the show aired it's more cringy than ever how far it bends over backwards to make the police look saintly in any conflict with civilians.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure the original Twilight Zone is perfect.

Weeelllll...there was that one episode with George Takei of all people that's kinda problematic despite what it's btrying to accomplish...

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

TenCentFang posted:

It's weird he basically admitted all the fun wacky characters on the show were horrible racists.

A mix of racism and social pressure.

My grandparents, who lived in the very deep south, would have been considered pretty progressive folks for that era. They didn't mind at all when the local schools were integrated (in 1966!) but they weren't about to lead the charge for integration. To even make pro-integration views known publicly was suicide for southern businessfolks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It's a bit more complex. Griffith certainly didn't do all he could have done.

There were African-American extras on the Andy Griffith Show. There was one black actor with a speaking part: Rockne Tarkington, who played Opie's football coach in a later, color episode. Opie thinks he has to choose between football and piano and Tarkington shows him he can do both.

Griffith was questioned at the time. He said that prominent black citizens simply wouldn't exist in the Andy Taylor world. To an extent, that would have been true. Griffith said that if Mayberry had a black doctor, no white citizen would have used him. And they wouldn't. That said, realism stopped with the Andy Griffith Show with the jail key left on the hook between the cells and the kookiness of the town in the color episodes. Of course, there could have easily been more interaction with black citizens in Mayberry on the show.

The Andy Griffith Show was a mix of 1930s nostalgia in a 1960s setting. The show only once mentioned Vietnam, too, and that was in passing. There was a reference to marijuana. The black and white episodes were almost entirely devoid of pop culture and the color ones didn't get specific about pop culture, except for a ridiculous computer dating episode. CBS' rural shows had no intention of changing the world and that's ultimately what killed all of them. CBS saw where the wind was blowing and canceled a heap of them..

I appreciate the effort in your post.

I still think that the very fact that they didn't challenge the views on the things you mentioned makes them a worse show than the ones I mentioned that pushed the envelope

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mister Kingdom posted:

Oh no, a person actually straight up called me a racist just for that one episode.

You are

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Naw I'm just playing. I don't think you're a racist.

Yet.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gilligan's Island is racist because all the characters are white

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Instant Sunrise posted:

The Andy Griffith spinoff Gomer Pyle USMC was incredibly dated right from the start. It came out in the midst of the Vietnam war and just it didn't acknowledge that at all, despite being set on a Marine Corps base.

I had no idea that's where the nickname "Gomer Pyle" in Full Metal Jacket came from.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think a lot of the time it's people going "Hey I can't be racist. My great-grandfather was discriminated against which means I am basically a minority and can therefore say whatever I want about current minority groups."

I ran into something similar on the bus a few days ago. A woman was there with her child, she was white and the child was black, so this guy says "oh, is that kid yours? I thought it was hers" and points at some black woman in the back. The mother freaks out at him, of course; fortunately, he gets off a station or too later, but not before saying something like "you think I'm racist? What if I told you I was Native American?!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd probably think he was a liar. Er, not because Native Americans are liars or anything, that's not what I'm saying. That's not what I'm saying at all, it's just he probably isn't. Ugh, let me start over, the problem with the modern Native American today is

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

You're just digging yourself a deeper hole, friend.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I appreciate the effort in your post.

I still think that the very fact that they didn't challenge the views on the things you mentioned makes them a worse show than the ones I mentioned that pushed the envelope

And Andy Griffith debuted in 1960, not 1970.

Civil rights were starting to heat up; Rosa Parks was in 1955, Little Rock's school integration was in 1957. One-third of America's population was still rural and few schools had integrated in the south. The Twilight Zone had a social conscience (and also aired on CBS), but the rural shows were what paid the bills. Gomer Pyle, USMC didn't mention Vietnam despite airing from 1964-69. CBS clearly didn't want to touch social issues. Nor did really anyone else.

Dick Van Dyke was considered very progressive for its time. ABC accidentally hit upon real America when it cut into an airing of Judgment at Nuremberg with footage of violence from the Selma march.

Just look at how lovely the lineup was for 1965, one year after the Civil Rights Act.

Almost all the television of that era was bubblegum, popcorn, whatever you want to call it. None of them advanced society, but none of them had any designs to do so. Especially since with the near total lack of rerun opportunities, few even had a second chance to see an episode of a show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Does a show having a few episodes that are now considered offensive affect your enjoyment of that show as a whole?
To some degree. Any problem with a product is going to detract from it, it just depends how much of an effect that problem has. If it's just one episode and one isolated event that doesn't have any consequences outside of that episode then it's pretty much just going to effect that episode. But if it has consequences in later episodes or even just recontextualises things that happen in other episodes then it'll have a greater impact. Often what actually happens is that one big thing draws your attention to a lot of other, smaller issues that you might not otherwise have noticed. Like how a single plot hole can ruin a movie for you by making you think more about the rest of the plot, which leads to you realising that the rest of it doesn't hold together as well as you first thought either.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Is F Troop racist or no-longer funny? The love interest was only 16 and 17 for the show, so it's got that going for it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mister Kingdom posted:

A general question for all:

Does a show having a few episodes that are now considered offensive affect your enjoyment of that show as a whole?

After the episode where Douglas Reynholm has a fistfight with his girlfriend after he finds out she's trans, I find it hard to watch any of the IT crowd. Feels like there's ugliness just hiding under the surface :smith:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

After the episode where Douglas Reynholm has a fistfight with his girlfriend after he finds out she's trans, I find it hard to watch any of the IT crowd. Feels like there's ugliness just hiding under the surface :smith:

You're not supposed to like Reynholm though. Isn't the whole point of that episode 'this relationship is perfect for him and his bigotry ruins it?'

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah but it goes way too far imo. The violence is the joke, laugh track and all.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Honestly I found The Sopranos as a whole just absolutely over the top with it's ITALIAN PRIDE!!!!! stuff, to the point where I just started rolling my eyes every time Carmela started going off on how 'actually Italians are really great, I hate how those (non-italian slang word) treat us!' or Tony would visit with people ~*Very Upset*~ about negative Italian portrayal related to his mafia association.. Maybe it's because I grew up in the South, but there has been pretty much no discrimination against Italian people at all through my entire life. It used to be a problem, and if it does come up, sure squash it. But that show sometimes treated it like Italian Americans were getting strung up on street corners in 1990's New Jersey.

Isn't that the point? They're dicks. Stuff like Tony complaining about how black people get all these special scholarships and stuff while there's nothing for the poor Italians (never mind the fact that I'm a millionaire crime lord), or getting pissed off about schools teaching about Columbus as a colonist rather than just venerating him as a Great Italian Hero. They're the mobster equivalent of Fox News whingeing that white Christians are the real persecuted minority. There's episodes about how despite the big deal they make about their Italian heritage, they actually go to Italy and everyone thinks they're idiot American boors who can't speak Italian and don't know how to make spaghetti properly.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Showrunner is a TERF, so yeah. There you go.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Magnus Manfist posted:

There's episodes about how despite the big deal they make about their Italian heritage, they actually go to Italy and everyone thinks they're idiot American boors who can't speak Italian and don't know how to make spaghetti properly.

I don't really know a lot about Italian-American culture but is there a sort of plastic paddy equivalent there, then?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Wtf Graham Linehan is a straight up terf :psyduck:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Magnus Manfist posted:

Isn't that the point? They're dicks. Stuff like Tony complaining about how black people get all these special scholarships and stuff while there's nothing for the poor Italians (never mind the fact that I'm a millionaire crime lord), or getting pissed off about schools teaching about Columbus as a colonist rather than just venerating him as a Great Italian Hero. They're the mobster equivalent of Fox News whingeing that white Christians are the real persecuted minority. There's episodes about how despite the big deal they make about their Italian heritage, they actually go to Italy and everyone thinks they're idiot American boors who can't speak Italian and don't know how to make spaghetti properly.

Don't forget that in the Columbus Day episode, Furio, the guy sent in from the Neapolitan mafia to help Tony, says that they despise Columbus because he was from Northern Italy.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I'm glad I am not the only one who gets a real icky feeling when watching that episode and it does definitely colour the rest of the series.

That "Haha, Roy has been sexually assaulted" episode comes a close second.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sarcopenia posted:

Wtf Graham Linehan is a straight up terf :psyduck:

Holy poo poo he legitimately is

https://medium.com/@AlexaEphemera/its-time-to-call-out-graham-linehan-s-ugly-transphobia-30b15be317a5

So it's not that the episode has aged poorly it's that the writer of father ted and the it crowd just legitimately hates trans people

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Magnus Manfist posted:

Yeah its entirely possible I missed that subtext. My bad, I thought it seemed ridiculous a lot.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
It was definitely the subtext, the episode where they actually go to Italy is proof of it. Poor Pauly :smith:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Did you miss the part where Pauly and the others bitched about Starbucks stealing Italian culture to get rich while they were going around collecting protection money from family businesses. Christopher thought the Cuban missile crisis was just from a movie and not real. They are all dumb shits.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"I've got a semester and a half of college, so I understand psychology as a concept."

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Yeah its entirely possible I missed that subtext. My bad, I thought it seemed ridiculous a lot.

The great thing about the Sopranos was it did make them completely ridiculous, while also being terrifying. They'll straight up murder you and bribe or intimidate enough people to get away with it, but they're also a bunch of terrible entitled obese clueless idiots who start gang wars over a fat joke about someone wife. The best part of the show are scenes like them trying to do an intervention for Chris but ending up kicking the poo poo out of him instead, or Pauly almost in tears over getting poison ivy on himself while literally murdering someone. It's totally in character for them to sit in a mansion counting the money they've extorted from working class families while bitching that they're a persecuted minority.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

54 40 or gently caress posted:

It was definitely the subtext, the episode where they actually go to Italy is proof of it. Poor Pauly :smith:

Poor Commendatori :smuggo:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, them trying to lean on a chain coffee shop for protection money was awesome.

If you aren't experiencing a wide range of feelings about the characters, it isn't good television. I remember almost ditching Breaking Bad halfway through the last season because I couldn't stand to look at Walter White anymore.

Breaking Bad episodes are going to age beautifully because the characters and their opinions are already loathsome.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Yeah I'm rewatching breaking bad and want to rewatch sopranos. Like Walt is so loving despicable yet people were cheering him on and hated Skyler. It was Peggy Hill levels of missing the point.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's because Bryan Cranston is a better actor and the character is more interesting.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Mu Zeta posted:

It's because Bryan Cranston is a better actor and the character is more interesting.

I'm sure that's part of it, but my guess is that it's probably more because Skylar was a woman.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SpacePig posted:

I'm sure that's part of it, but my guess is that it's probably more because Skylar was a woman.

It totally had to be that. So many people couldn't even stop to think about what it must have been like from her POV. Imagine your spouse, who you've been with for decades, has been lying to you, and is now a murderous, psychopathic meth dealer.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Hank was the one who irritated me, I found him very grating. It was obvious from s1e1 that his "role" in the show was to be the guy who figures out walt and you just had to sit and wait and pretend like you didn't see that coming years in advance until the last season.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked that in Season 2 Walter's Laundered Money explanation to his wife became literally a Fairly OddParents joke with the crowdfunding scam. "Where'd you get millions of pounds Walter?" "uuuuhhhh... Internet?"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked that in Season 2 Walter's Laundered Money explanation to his wife became literally a Fairly OddParents joke with the crowdfunding scam. "Where'd you get millions of pounds Walter?" "uuuuhhhh... Internet?"

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Anna Gunn literally received death threats from dumb nerds because she played a rightfully "bitchy" woman. But she didn't play a cool sociopath so yeah.